Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: Official Countdown to Liquor Day movie discussion thread. CONTAINS SPOILERS!  (Read 33154 times)

Tiggy Puddin

Here's something you don't see every day - an interview with Clatty and Torrens!  :D

Trailer Park Boys creator-director Mike Clattenburg insists Countdown to Liquor Day is the final chapter in the saga of the scheming knuckleheads from Sunnyvale Trailer Park. Joined by Jonathan Torrens, who plays wannabe rapper J-Roc, the two shared their thoughts on the farewell.

Q: Goodbye is going to be hard for the fans. Is it hard for you?

Clattenburg: That's why it's been very difficult to end the show. I decided to phase it out very slowly, because I originally wanted to end it in Season 5. We had a new movie coming up and we would have to shoot Season 6 at the same time, so that's like shooting two full movies back-to-back in two months. That would be pretty taxing on everyone. But at the same time, with the fan support, our cast wanted to do it, our crew wanted to do it, and I still enjoyed doing it, but it felt like it was the right time to consider ending it. We phased it out slowly. If you watch Season 6, you'll see it end three or four times. Then a one-hour special Say Goodnight to the Bad Guys. Then our final chapter (Liquor Day). We've reinvented Trailer Park Boys 10 or 15 times.

Torrens: That's why when folks say, "This must be really hard for you," there's probably a healthy percentage of me that says, we've said bye five or six times now. But this is it.

Q: Why are these guys so immoral and why do we love them for it?

Clattenberg: Well, because they can relate to them, they can recognize them. They recognize their friends, they know a J-Roc, a Julian, a Bubbles, a Mr. Lahey. They're speaking a vernacular that wasn't on television – it is now – but when we started doing it, it wasn't on mainstream television, and they recognize it. The swearing is quite harmless and absurd and silly.

Q: What are some of the new swears the show has given us?

Clattenburg: C--kknuckles.

Torrens: Ref---kulate.

Clattenburg: Something's f--ky. F--koffityland. They come out of thin air sometimes. Some of them come from the actors, but we're always refining them, and when one comes up and we all laugh, we know we've got something. F--kgiraffe? What is a f--kgiraffe? It's just absurd; it sounds funny.

Q: The boys say you think you're so smart because you have Grade 6.

Clattenburg: It's not true, actually. Those guys will say crazy things, but in fact, they have Grade 6.

Torrens: Between them.

Q: Is J-Roc even more delusional than the boys?

Torrens: Someone asked me recently if I felt sorry for him, and to tell the truth, it had never occurred to me before that I should. And I think – at the risk of talking about him in the third person – you can't feel sorry for yourself. When everyone else didn't believe in him through the dark days and 14 previously unreleased albums, nobody else believed in him, but he never lost his dream.

Linda Barnard

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/movies/article/700757

Tiggy Puddin

In the interests of fairness, I'll post this less-than-kind review from the National Post. It's a rather tedious read, but please bear with it.  ;)

Comedy is one of the hardest film genres to master. Whereas action movies and horror flicks have certain quantifiable elements (how many things blow up real good? What's the body count by the end credits?), one man's gut-buster can just as easily be another's exercise in tedium. With that in mind, we turn to the Canadian comedy phenomenon known as Trailer Park Boys, a cheaply made, Nova Scotia-shot cable show that somehow morphed into the country's biggest entertainment success story.

There could be a fascinating book - or at least a neat little essay - about how Trailer Park Boys: The Movie earned the biggest opening weekend ever for an English-language Canadian film. In a country filled with highfalutin filmmakers and critically beloved auteurs, it was not Atom Egoyan or David Cronenberg that eventually drew $3.8-million into multiplexes - it was just three perpetually stupid criminals who enjoyed swearing, fighting and the occasional rye and Coke.

As I sat watching the 2006 film's sequel, Trailer Park Boys: Countdown to Liquor Day - a meandering, nearly laugh-free picture - I wondered silently to myself: Can millions of Canadians be wrong? Is there some sort of secret comedy virus on display that I'm immune to? Surely, I thought as fellow critics dozed beside me, there must be some reason why these oafish caricatures sit atop the national Zeitgeist.

Well, if jokes about public urination and cross-dressing hookers get a large chunk of Canucks chortling, I guess I'm just out of touch with my neighbours. Both those elements, plus a large dose of juvenile pot humour, are on full display in Countdown to Liquor Day, which is touted by writer-director Mike Clattenburg as being the final adventure for Ricky, Julian and Bubbles.

The new film is not so much a direct sequel to the boys' first big-screen adventure (which bore the imprint of producer/condo developer Ivan Reitman), but more a follow-up to the series' final TV special. After Ricky (Robb Wells), Julian (John Paul Tremblay) and Bubbles (Mike Smith) are released from prison for the umpteenth time, the trio returns to their beloved Sunnyvale only to find out park supervisor Jim Lahey (John Dunsworth) demolished most of the neighbourhood.

In an attempt to get his own middle-class trailer park up and running, though, Lahey needs to build a sewer line underneath Julian's property, thus sparking a battle of half-wits for the title of King White Trash. Subplots involving Bubbles' pet cats, Ricky's pot business and Lahey's battle with his pot-bellied lover (Patrick Roach) are as equally uninspired.

While Tremblay et al. seem committed as ever to the characters, their performances grow increasingly tiresome, as if the actors are uncomfortable in the skins they've created. Dunsworth is especially hard to watch as the alcoholic villain. Without proper direction to rein him in, the actor resorts to fits of half-naked screaming that reek of desperation. Still, the rest of the cast shines brightly compared with former CBC host Jonathan Torrens. As J-Roc, a gangsta-rapper wannabe, Torrens would make the stodgiest grandmother yearn for Eminem's wit and grace.

Several informed sources have told me the genius behind Trailer Park Boys rests with the creators' firm sense of tongue-in-cheek humour. Perhaps this was once true, but no longer: All this sequel proves is that Clattenburg and co. are done poking fun at their idiotic characters - instead, they have wholeheartedly embraced them. Gone is any pretense of satire, replaced by a placid sense of familiarity. It's as if the filmmakers expect fans to be content with merely seeing Julian swill some booze while Bubbles smokes a joint - no jokes necessary.

If there were any effort put into the film's comedy, it must be buried deep within the Nova Scotia soil. Better luck next time, boys.

http://www.nationalpost.com/arts/movies/story.html?id=2029726

Coleharbourjim

and the occasional rye and Coke.

Why the fuck write a review that they obviously know nothing about !
"I got responcibles now"
06/07 Org Football Fantasy Champion

Tiggy Puddin

This made me laugh:

"...touted by writer-director Mike Clattenburg as being the final adventure for Ricky, Julian and Bubbles."

Followed by

"Better luck next time, boys."

I may not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to make yourself look fuckin' stupid.

Ms Vee

All I have to say to that reviewer is "Knock knock"...

There was quite a bit of coverage about the movie in the Vancouver Province today.  It had a little photo on the top of the front page.  It also was on the cover of the E-Movies section and a full page spread inside.  Didn't see that for any of the other movies opening today!  :P

Front page of the Province

Cover of E-movies section

Stories inside (*click on B3 down the right side*)
http://digital.theprovince.com/epaper/viewer.aspx

Again, someone has gotten the famous drink mixed up. :roll:  RUM AND COKE, damm it!!

Shit machine gun

So I just got back from my first viewing and holy shit, that was a great movie. 

I think it was perfectly laid out for a TPB storyline.  I'm not going to talk too much because honestly I don't remember too many details.  I had my rum and coke glass clinking, and people were cheering for me.  The guys behind us lit a few joints at least 3 times. 

Jroc's concert at the end was at Massey hall, I remember Krock said she was there when they filmed it.  Sweet jebus, I've got to see it again. 
2009-2010 TPB FANTASY HOCKEY CHAMPION. 

"I can be bought. If they paid me enough, I'd work for the Klan." - Charles Barkley

I HATE Conky

"I hear chicken, cola fizz, mustard and relish, all coagulatin together, and french fries and onion rings, but you know what, I don't hear a heart, Motherfucker"

Chantal

Sometimes... when I read a book, or I watch a series on TV, I find fictional characters that grab hold of my heart and hang on until the end when they damn near rip it out of my chest on their way out. Jim and Randy did that to me this afternoon. For six years the Trailer Park Boys has meant the world to me, and what has captivated me most about it is the relationship between Jim and Randy. I adore their compatibility; I admire their dedication and their determination in the face of obstacles like alcohol.

Their relationship has become a model relationship to me. I want that loyalty, and that openness they have, and the willingness to experiment and to move their relationship forwards. Even if sometimes they didn’t know how to express it, or they forgot to express it, they’ve always loved each other... or that was the impression that seven seasons, two specials and a first movie left me with. Now I don’t know.

When the movie started, Jim told us that he fell in love with the wrong man, and that we should be careful of who we fall in love with. For a minute after the movie I thought maybe he was referring to the ordeal with Julian, but it’s fairly clear that he means Randy, and admitting that he fell in love with the wrong man isn’t that... isn’t that like regret? Does that mean that Jim’s feelings, and Randy’s actions in this movie cancel out their relationship throughout the entire series?

I know that Randy gave Jim the money near the end, and that’s a big sign of how much he still cares for him, but the way the movie – the series – ended, it really shook me. I mean, their relationship was one of my strongest, even if it was just a model relationship for me, and the fact that it ended like that... The fact that the liquor really did end up calling the shots, and tore them apart, it single-handedly ruined the movie for me.

I really hate to sound so negative because I did laugh, and all of the actors were brilliant (notably, JP and John Dunsworth), but I think they underplayed a really important aspect of the show.

Grips

Chantal, didn't Mr. Lahey say something about all of the stuff he had being nothing without love at the end of the movie?  Methinks he'll end up going back to the Randinator.

Chantal

Thanks so much for mentioning that, Grips! I need to see the movie again, for sure. The only downside to seeing it on Liquor Day was that the twenty some guys in front of me were pretty distracting. Lol, they were smuggling beer cans into their popcorn bags. As soon as I figure out the bus routes here I'll have to go. :)

Shit machine gun

Beer?  that's so childish. :D

I was surprised to see Lahey drinking beer and wine coolers.  I really need to see it again to remember all the details. 

I think there were a bunch of the old characters in the prison scene at the end.  Flappy bird brothers, Losco, George, maybe more.

"I can be bought. If they paid me enough, I'd work for the Klan." - Charles Barkley

I HATE Conky

"I hear chicken, cola fizz, mustard and relish, all coagulatin together, and french fries and onion rings, but you know what, I don't hear a heart, Motherfucker"

Fishyneil

• Doritos commercial
I thought that Lahey having that one little sip of beer was a great commentary on how easy it is to slip back into full blown alcohol addiction. Pivitol moment in the movie for me.
 I am lucky enough to have seen it twice now. I know there is shit I still didn't catch onto. The camera caught CHJ and I watching them film the scene with Lahey on the roof. We were in blue and red jackets and were on the upper left hand side of the scene near the "do not enter" sign.
Fishy
"So why would you care
To get out of this place
You and me and all our friends
Such a happy human race"

TPB FAQ's... http://www.trailerparkboys.org/forums/index.php?topic=6806.0

Purple Haze

Saw the movie last night - super funny!!! Lots of laughs as Lahey goes crazier than ever.

Alex Lifeson in drag - PRICELESS!!! "Oh I love to party."  :perv1:

I heard some people saying that they liked the first one better but in my group the general consensus was that we thought this one was funnier.

I like that Mike Clattenburg intentionally stayed true to the show in this movie.

CHEERS & BEERS!!!
"Lucy's in fuck off land Ricky!" - Sarah

"Something's fukky!?" - Bubbles

jwaschke

There is no way in fuck that the first one was better! The new movie was awesome! true to the show and i loved that Alex had a part and that the singer of helix was in it.  I drove from the states up to Surrey to see it, however i didnt score any mall dope so i had to see it only 25% stoned cos the border dicks fucked with me and my buddy on the way up - car search and all...
Refuckulate the Carbonator

M1K3

Very good movie I like it better then the 1st!

It had me laughing hard right from the start to end,bubbles talking about the cats licking cat food off his face was priceless...way 2 many funny parts to name in this people just need to go see it!

also that was the real trinity right with the rainbow hair ? ..not the random trinity from the 1st movie.

I'll go see it again for sure...
« Last Edit: Sep 27, 2009, 02:18 AM by M1K3 »

shake

Yes the real Trinity :)

M1K3

word up ^^^^ I never really liked the fake Trinity..

tyrowjames

Gotta throw my props in here,

"Countdown To Liquor Day" has been the best thing since Season 3.  It's tone and pacing all reminded me of the first two Seasons and the original black and white movie.  Truely, it was a movie for the hardcore fans, like myself and many others on this board.  It was great to see J-Roc and Tyrone get more acting time, and to include all the side characters in small, sometimes non-speaking roles [at least they are on screen].  Would have like to have seen more Cyrus, but it's all good.  This was the best way to end the show, everyone was great.  Also, it was tight at the end to see J-Roc finally make it in the Rap game!!

- Tyrow James

Melba the Disco Queen

I want to say "I FINALLY got to see the movie," but it's only been out for 3 days so far, so it's not like I've had to wait very long to get to the theatre. Anyway, there's not much I can add that hasn't already been said: more true to the feel of TPB than the first movie, Lahey was magnificent & totally stole the movie, good to see Bubbles have a love interest. The first half of the movie seemed to move a little slowly for me, but the last half makes up for it. Dunsworth is a spectacular actor. The extra with the curly red hair in the bank scene was Tiggirific! ;) I totally didn't catch Lifeson as the tranny hooker.
'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie, Black Adder

Cygnus

The movie was fucking great. I could post a massive review of what I thought about it, in detail, but I won't. I'll leave it up to the people to make their own conclusions.

The only thing I will say is that the ending was a little rough on me. I mean, the whole movie did feel dark and sad like a lot of people mentioned, but yes, it was due to the fact that everyone knew, this is it. This is the end of the line for TPB (minus maybe seeing one last shot someday....*crosses fingers for an easter egg spot on the movie dvd*

But yeah, other than the ending, fucking epic. The ending made me feel like there was too much left to be said. It's like, do they get out and continue life happy and stop crime etc? Or do they get out and continue their regular crime life? To be honest, i would have rather seen them get a life sentence in jail, as depressing as that is. At least then, i can live my life knowing that my favorite fictional characters are safely put away in a jail cell, rather than wondering what the fuck they were planning on doing when they were going to get out in 2 weeks....

Tiggy Puddin

The weekend box office estimates are in...

Countdown to Liquor Day takes the Canadian no.3 spot with $1.32 million!

Congratulations! And hurrah to everyone who went to see it.  :D

http://www.tribute.ca/boxoffice

Shit machine gun

Look at the numbers for the US.  It beat several movies that have been hyped by American television for a while.

Great to see that.  Hopefully they can finally win that coveted Genie award.

I HATE Conky

Tiggy Puddin

I know money and trophies and trinkets don't count for much when you're making art, but it's a great start, agreed.   ;)

Next weekend's figures should prove interesting, with Whip It and Zombieland beginning their runs.

openliquor

I ignore any mainstream review on the movie, as the reviewer is walking in cold, obviously not a fan. The movie really didn't have any "LOL" moments to me, and the average person, expecting a roaring comedy, would be disappointed.

It was a desperate, sad commentary on a marginal group of (lovable) characters....with their struggles, their demons and their family. Lahey and Randy's dynamic was especially well played, and Julian's attempt to keep it all together was equally well done. The lack of silliness was a welcome change. Fewer "Ricky-isms", for once.

I loved the movie, and need to see it again. Julian's picture on the bar was hilarious. Lahey sure does love Sexian.
"excuse me gorilla, we da fuck out!"

DarthAlexander

I went to see this with my girlfriend (who is also a big TPB fan) and we were the only ones there until an older Chinese couple showed up. They left 25 minutes into the movie and then we had the whole place to ourselves. It was awesome.

The movie was great. I loved every moment of it. The only thing I hated was that it was the last TPB thing we'll see (unless they happen to do a reunion show someday). The ending made me laugh. Nice little bit of poetic justice for Lahey. After all he's been through I'm glad he's the one that got the money. Nice little touch.

JAG

Okay, so now I am tempted to find a torrent just so I can point out Fishy in the movie! ROFL!

I am holding out for the movie to be released in the states. I can't drive up to Canada EVERY weekend for a movie. (Plus, I should probably get healthy first ;) )

I can't agree more that this was a movie for the fans. The first movie was just no where as good. I didn't dislike the first movie; it just had a different vibe. I enjoyed the hell out of this movie. Sure, part of me wanted to see a nice, neat happy ending but that wouldn't be staying true to the show, would it? Actually, I'll be honest, ANY ending would have been bitter sweet. The fact that it is over before it even had a chance to get started in the US is a hard pill for many US fans to swallow. I'm lucky in the fact that I discovered the boys before the BBC America or Directv run. I had more time with them then a lot of other American fans.

The reviewer that trashed the movie...what are you going to do? Some people just don't get it. Not everyone can be as cool as us. There has to be a few high-brow, snobs without the capacity to enjoy pure, simple humour and heart. That's what the boys have, humour and heart. So I agree with Ms Vee...

Hey movie reviewer...Knock Knock...
« Last Edit: Oct 06, 2009, 09:47 PM by JuliansAmericanGirl »
~Sarah~
*100% Certified Honouary Canuck*

Port Cockerton:

"Maybe if you hadn't spent the whole night sinking space sluts you wouldn't have let down the entire universe yet again!"
"Copy that."
"Solution, Captain Powerful?!"
"MORE powder of confidence..."