Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: Official Countdown to Liquor Day movie discussion thread. CONTAINS SPOILERS!  (Read 33177 times)

Fishyneil

• Doritos commercial
Here's a thread to discuss the new movie. Some of us will see it at the AFF this evening so if you don't like spoilers, avoid this thread until you've seen the movie. I'll modify the title of the thread when the movie is in theatres.
Fishy
"So why would you care
To get out of this place
You and me and all our friends
Such a happy human race"

TPB FAQ's... http://www.trailerparkboys.org/forums/index.php?topic=6806.0

Fishyneil

• Doritos commercial
I'm going to lock this thread until after the movie shows tonight. Torrent requests will be deleted. As soon as one is available, we will post it. Please keep this thread about dicussing the movie.
Fishy
"So why would you care
To get out of this place
Such a happy human race"

shake

I enjoyed it!  I'll definitely have to see it again as we got the theatre late and ended up sitting in the second row so I missed a lot of the detail.  As Clattenburg wrote in his article in the Herald yesterday

"We didn’t want to just do an extended TV episode; the tone is a little different, a little darker, and we tried not to go for really broad, obvious laughs"

Yeah it had a serious storyline which was very interesting.  I think the thing I found funniest was when Bubbles was on the floor and the clippers got stuck to his head.  That lead to a huge round of laughs ending with seeing Randy's head with the painted on hair :)

bajjer

• Location: Hidin' in the [TALL] Shit Grass, < 1 hour from Sunnyvale!
Ricky's roundabout apology to randy was quintessential Ricky - sweet!  I wonder if the Randy/sharpie hair-style will become popular after the movie opens next week?  I look forward to Hunnerbun's viewpoint on this issue.  I believe she once had an intimate relationship with Randy's hair.
"Quoting one is plagiarism. Quoting many is research."
--Anonymous
http://www.site.uottawa.ca/~rabielmo/personal/quotes.html
"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education."
http://rescomp.stanford.edu/~cheshire/EinsteinQuotes.html
Copyright: Kevin Harris 1995 (may be freely distributed with this acknowledgement)

Tiggy Puddin

The movie was different to the last movie, for sure, and even different to the TV show. John Dunsworth was awesome (Clattenburg even dedicated the movie to him at the theatre) and JP Tremblay really rocked his part - his acting was great. Ricky being drunk was lots of fun too. And thank goodness J-ROC had a bigger part than the last movie.

It was a stripped down, darker than usual, totally a movie for the fans. Awesome. Thank you Mr. Clattenburg.  8)

I think Randy's hair got the biggest laughs of the night, that and Lahey's underwear-less shenanigans. That red-headed chick watching Lahey on the roof was hot too, hahah.  :lol:

shake

Ah yes one of the finest performances in TPBdom yet Tiggy's ^ reaction to Lahey on the roof!

Grips

All in all, I loved the movie.  I will definitely be seeing it again in theatres.  Hell, probably more than once more.

It had a very different atmosphere than the rest of the series and the other movie.  There was something sadder and darker about it, though that might just have come along with the knowledge that this is the last thing they'll be doing.  It was clearly made with the fans in mind, and in my opinion it's the best thing the crew have put out.  There was just something very different about it that I can't put into words.  All in all a wonderful final hurrah.  My only qualm is the ending.  It seemed kind of abrupt.

Refuckulator

• Matt's Design Portfolio
Great movie. The whole Caribean thing was a bit out of place but other than that, fuckin awesome!
Thanks to Mike Clattenburg, Robb Wells, John Paul Tremblay, Mike Smith, John Dunsworth, Pat Roach, Jonathan Torrens and EVERYONE else involved with the show, for everything you've done for us in the last decade! Much appreciated!
Follow me: @MattRichBedard

bajjer

There were numerous scenes that were clever, serious, touching and comical.  The scene where Ray was inspiring Ricky with jumper cables in hand was noteworthy.  Another was a touching scene with Bubbles and Julian in the Montecarlo, when Julian floated the notion of torchin' the car to raise money to free Bubbles' kitties from the lock-down at the SPCA.  Lucy reading the letter for the results of Ricky's grade 12 was a key turning point to the heist.  Bubbles at the SPCA making a connection with a compassionate [female] employee was refreshing.
--Anonymous
Copyright: Kevin Harris 1995 (may be freely distributed with this acknowledgement)

shake

There were numerous scenes that were clever, serious, touching and comical.  The scene where Ray was inspiring Ricky with jumper cables in hand was noteworthy.  Another was a touching scene with Bubbles and Julian in the Montecarlo, when Julian floated the notion of torchin' the car to raise money to free Bubbles' kitties from the lock-down at the SPCA.  Lucy reading the letter for the results of Ricky's grade 12 was a key turning point to the heist.  Bubbles at the SPCA making a connection with a compassionate [female] employee was refreshing.

Yes I thought the jumper cable scene was very clever, not intended to be funny but a good scene.

I liked the Bubbles girl story as well.  I thought I may have seen her at the party but I couldn't tell if it was her on account of everybody looking so different when you sit in the second row :)

Fishyneil

• Doritos commercial
I really liked the movie. I kinda knew it was going to be a bit darker than the first but it still had it's comical moments. Bubbles talking about the desire to smear cat food on his face so his kitties could lick it of with those little sandpaper tongues of theirs. Brian Vollmer picking up a "man whore" was funny too.
 Over all, they didn't rehash old jokes and situations but created a few new ones. Not many Rickyism's but we've all heard them before. Ricky was still as dumb as a donut. I was glad that Bubbles got asked out on a date and that they didn't go the cheezy kiss thing.
Fishy
"So why would you care
To get out of this place
Such a happy human race"

Grips

Anyone remember any of the songs that were used in the movie?  I tried to retain them in my brain, but by the time the show started my brain was not in a good state to retain a whole lot.

Coleharbourjim

I remember hearing Patsy Cline at one point. It was not "Crazy", but which one ????
"I got responcibles now"
06/07 Org Football Fantasy Champion

Ms Vee

I remember hearing Patsy Cline at one point. It was not "Crazy", but which one ????
It was "I fall to Pieces."

Tiggy Puddin

Please post reviews about the new movie here!

First in, CBC. I've edited the text below because the fuckgoof gives the ending away; follow the link for the full story only if you want to spoil it for yourself!

HALIFAX, N.S. - It takes only minutes into the new Trailer Park Boys movie to see that the drug-addled gang of louts is headed right back to their harebrained, n'er-do-well ways - and back to a filmmaking formula they hope will be as successful as their last celluloid venture.

The opening moments of "Trailer Park Boys: Countdown to Liquor Day" show the usual cast of characters again being released from prison with promises they will reform their derelict ways and set themselves on the road to redemption, or at least stay out of the big house for awhile.

But seconds after tasting freedom, they're stealing a corrections van and holding up a liquor store - with cardboard boxes and welding masks as disguises - to secure some "startup" money for their next business venture.

It is the same framework that has spawned a devoted following across Canada and fed the series' wacky story lines for seven seasons on TV's Showcase.

Director Mike Clattenburg has described the tone of the film as a little darker than the TV series, but fans of the show won't be disappointed as it aptly captures the antics they've likely come to expect from the characters.

There is Julian, the brawny schemer who is never without a rum-and-coke in his clutches; Ricky, his profane, overweight sidekick who can't utter a sentence not laced with F-bombs; and Bubbles, the googlie-eyed heart and soul of the fictional Sunnyvale trailer park whose sole mission seems to be protecting his collection of kitties.

The movie picks up with the boys heading back to Sunnyvale, only to find it abandoned and battered after their archrival, park superintendent Jim Lahey, moved on to manage a pristine, orderly trailer home development.

Lahey, played by John Dunsworth, has cleaned up his act, gotten off the drink, taken to jogging and settled down with his shirtless, pot-bellied lover, Randy.

But as soon as the boys return, Lahey begins slipping into his old booze-soaked ways and is soon wandering around in a robe and tighty whities, with a bottle in tow.

"You don't understand," the character says in a desperate fit that references the movie's title. "The liquor's calling the shots now."

The tale, complete with its characteristic profanity and steady stream of liquor, ends with [deleted]

"'Survivor: Sunnyvale' would be kind of a good show," Bubbles, played by Mike Smith, said in his trademark Coke-bottle glasses before the movie premiered in Halifax last week.

"Or maybe a travel show. You know, the three of us travelling around the world, checking out resorts, grading their booze and dope ... and seeing how the kitty situation is."

"Countdown to Liquor Day" could be the last offering from the Gemini Award-winning cast that includes actors Smith, John Paul Tremblay and Robb Wells.

The concept for the TV show took shape in 1999 when Clattenburg released the first Trailer Park Boys' movie and what became a tried and true formula for the series in 2001.

The mockumentary-style series wrapped up its seven-year run in 2008 and spawned a self-titled movie in 2006 that became the No. 11 film in North America when it opened. It made $1.3 million over the Thanksgiving weekend.

Lucy DeCouture, who plays Lucy in the movie and on the show, said this latest film got to the heart of what the Trailer Park Boys' was all about.

"You've gotta have your peeps around you," she said while walking the red carpet for the premiere. "If you don't have people around you that you love, then you lose. Flush it down the shitter."

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/entertainment/090920/e092008A.html

Grips

Thanks.   :)  That was the song I was looking for.

Mitch Lahey

• NASA Marshall Space Flight Center
yeah, a lot of older country type music for the soundtrack was a change, cool in it's own way and offset by the abundance of J-Roc material and new music.

I would have liked to see more scenes with Cyrus, the exam scene was a bit short- also would have liked to see more Sarah/Lucy/Trinity scenes and interviews...

Overall I think it was a bit Lahey-centric but all things considered it was a wild fuckin' ride; I believe that another look or two will add to my appreciation of what was presented.

Looking forward to checking out Directors Cut ;)
-Mitch Dolphin (I work for Cyrus now)

"Hey everybody, there's a shitcloud comin'! Run for your lives!" -Randy Quaid in Kingpin

Tiggy Puddin

Grips, I wonder whether it felt different because it wasn't set in the old familiar park - most people were living in the new park, Ray was no longer at the dump, and only Julian's trailer was really shown. I thought something was missing - Sunnyvale!

Someone at the premiere (John D?) said there was probably enough footage to have made three different versions of the movie, all with a different feel and focus. It was interesting to see what was left out of the movie.

Having had time to think about it, my only little gripe was the end - it wasn't 'endy' enough, if you nomesayin'. On the other hand, I guess it doesn't matter - the camera crew left, and life went on.

bajjer

In theory, the abrupt end to the film lends itself nicely to a Part II, et cetera ;).  And with enough time, rum, dope and chicken fingers - the good ones - the VTP residents could likely formulate a plot and cascading scenes to create another TPBs movie :shock: :-s!
--Anonymous

Grips

Grips, I wonder whether it felt different because it wasn't set in the old familiar park - most people were living in the new park, Ray was no longer at the dump, and only Julian's trailer was really shown. I thought something was missing - Sunnyvale!

You know, I never really thought about it, but you're totally right. 

Tiggy Puddin

Neat review from straight.com, plus a cool photo of Ricky all smarted up in a fancy restaurant:

The last film I saw that made me laugh out loud numerous times was 2006’s Trailer Park Boys: The Movie. It was freakin’ hilarious. But the new Countdown to Liquor Day left the old ribs achin’ even more. It could be the funniest Canadian movie ever made.

Director Mike Clattenburg’s raging chucklefest kicks off with the titular TPBs—Ricky (Robb Wells), Julian (John Paul Tremblay), and Bubbles (Mike Smith)—completing their latest stints in jail. Bubbles just wants to see his beloved kitties; Julian plans to convert his trailer into an auto-body shop; and Ricky—as he explains to the prison review board—figures he’ll just sell weed for a while. When it’s time to leave, the more even-keeled Bubbles rides a corrections-service bus back to Sunnyvale while Ricky and Julian sneak out the rear of one before it even leaves the prison yard, steal a van, and drive directly to a liquor store, which they rob at gunpoint for “start-up money”.

Back at the trailer park, alcoholic supervisor Mr. Lahey (John Dunsworth) has momentarily weaned himself off booze and started up Lahey’s Luxury Estates, but he needs to acquire Julian’s trailer site for the new development’s sewage system to pass under. In typical TPB fashion, long-standing conflicts erupt and dreams are shattered—Julian’s business fails, Ricky can’t get his Grade 12, and Bubbles’s seized cats are ransomed by the SPCA—so Julian concocts a harebrained scheme to rob a bank posing as security. Good luck not busting a gut at the sight of a wasted Lahey driving a convertible in his ratty dressing gown and trying to guzzle Jack Daniel’s while Randy pees on him from the front seat of an armoured car.

http://www.straight.com/article-258884/boys-backslide-laughs

Tiggy Puddin

Another one, this time from ffuckweekly or whatever it's called:

The opening of Trailer Park Boys: Countdown to Liquor Day finds our three incorrigible heroes about to get out of prison, trying to convince the parole board they’re prepared to become upstanding, taxpaying members of society. Julian (John Paul Tremblay) makes the most impressive case of any of them: he shows the board his new diploma in auto mechanics, as well as an eight-page plan for the garage he intends to operate out of his mobile home. He’s even drawn a sketch of what “Success Auto Body” will look like.

The sketch is somewhat inaccurate. It leaves out the stolen prison van Julian is repainting to look like an armoured car, the raccoons eating the rotting fast food strewn about the grass and the unconscious transvestite sleeping off a hangover on a mattress in the alley. And the complete absence of customers.

I am probably not the ideal person to review Countdown to Liquor Day, having never watched a single episode of the long-running TV series. Then again, I get the feeling that these are not characters with a long and complex psychological history. They’re simply lovable losers whose most grandiose dreams are amusingly small-time: When he’s not stealing plastic garbage bins to start up a business selling do-it-yourself pot-growing kits, Ricky (Robb Wells) hopes to finally earn his Grade 12 diploma, while Bubbles (Mike Smith) merely hopes to scrape together enough cash to buy his kittens back from the SPCA. Even in “Lahey Luxury Estates,” the new development created by trailer park supervisor Mr. Lahey (John Dunsworth), the buildings look like they’ll be falling apart in three years, tops.

The humour is crude and lowbrow — the film climaxes with the first car chase I’ve ever seen where, instead of exchanging gunfire, the drivers try to piss on each other — but much of it is undeniably funny. Even the most sordid location, like the “licensed” hamburger stand catering primarily to tranny hookers, is portrayed with affection and the actors each commit to their roles with gusto, especially Dunsworth, who tumbles off the wagon in spectacular fashion.

Plus, even with his head partially shaved (don’t ask), Bubbles lands a girlfriend! Naturally, she likes cats. Her feelings about Rush, however, go unexplored. Fodder for the sequel, I suppose.

http://www.ffwdweekly.com/article/screen/film-reviews/lust-for-lowlife-4508/

Tiggy Puddin

Interesting interview with Robb Wells. Hmmm:

It’s hard to know which character from Trailer Park Boys is most favoured by fans. Some folks are particularly fond of Bubbles (Mike Smith), the kitty-loving, kindhearted weirdo with the outrageous eyeglasses. Others prefer Julian (John Paul Tremblay), the musclebound dreamer whose lips only leave his rum-and-Coke long enough to describe his latest moneymaking scheme. And then there’s Ricky (Robb Wells), the sweatpants-wearing, sideburns-sporting hooligan who feels that getting his Grade 12 would be the ultimate accomplishment in life but whose intellect just can’t agree.

Last November, TPB creator-director Mike Clattenburg officially announced plans to end the Showcase TV series after seven seasons. The good news is that Ricky and his pals will have their last hurrah in Trailer Park Boys: Countdown to Liquor Day, which opens Friday (September 25). Over the phone from Halifax, where the movie is premiering at the Atlantic Film Festival, Wells says that he’s going to miss bringing his loudmouthed loser to life. He figures there’s a little bit of Ricky in all of us.

“I guess it’s everyone’s alter ego to some extent,” he explains. “I mean, everybody at some point in their life feels like tellin’ someone to fuck off, and playing Ricky is the chance to do that without backing down. But it’s more about people that I met through my experiences growin’ up, I guess, and through Mike Clattenburg’s direction. It’s just a character I’ve learned to love and love to play.”

Countdown to Liquor Day sees the three reefer-crazed residents of Sunnyvale Trailer Park being released from jail and instantly butting heads with their archenemies, trailer-park supervisor Jim Lahey (John Dunsworth) and his beer-bellied assistant/lover, Randy (Patrick Roach). Canadian acting veteran Dunsworth comes close to stealing the show as Lahey, a raging alcoholic who falls heavily off the wagon and lands with his head hilariously wedged up his ass. Dunsworth also figures prominently in the movie’s big chase sequence, during which his hapless character gets comically peed on by the hotheaded Ricky.

“We were a little worried about that whole thing,” recalls Wells of the pissing scene, “but after seein’ some of the rushes, I think it worked. It’s kinda gross, but I think it was more funny than gross, so funny won.”

Funny always wins when Ricky and his mates get up to their usual lowbrow antics. And even though the show’s principals are closing shop and moving on to other projects, cowriter Wells says there’s still a chance they may revisit Sunnyvale in the future. He’s happy to admit that the series did better than anyone expected.

“When we started out, we hoped a few people would tune in and just wonder, ‘What the hell is this?’ and kinda have to stay tuned. In the beginning, we realized that if we were gonna develop these ridiculous characters, they needed to have a lot of redeeming qualities, a lot of heart and love, and I guess that went over a lot bigger than we anticipated. People do get all the heart and love out of it, which is great.”

http://www.straight.com/article-258876/boys-are-back-countdown

treehouse

Anyone remember any of the songs that were used in the movie?  I tried to retain them in my brain, but by the time the show started my brain was not in a good state to retain a whole lot.

blue on blue by bobby vinton
GREAT SONG.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4yyj7orXfs

Jdub

Nice to see that one writer got it right when it came to who pissed on Lahey. Makes me wonder if Steve Newton actually watched the movie.  :P