Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: Classic TV Shows From The '70s and Beyond  (Read 9841 times)

shake

Re: Classic TV Shows From The '70s and Beyond
« Reply #25 on: Mar 15, 2009, 10:09 PM »

Joe Flaherty was from Pittsburgh and cousins of his lived next door to me for a while.

Cool, the man was a genius!  Yeah him and Andrea Martin were the only 2 who weren't Canadian.  I remember Joe, as Count Floyd, did a skit with the Pittsburgh midget.

Becca

« Reply #26 on: Mar 21, 2009, 03:00 AM »
Second City ... y'all have great taste!

My fave was John Candy.  Almost every skit with the Johnny LaRue character made me pee my pants.  I loved his fitness video where he's wearing a tacky velour sweatsuit, is puffing on a cig and uses the fridge door to exercise: "And open, and bend, and shut, and close."  Awesome.

I also loved the spoofs of game shows; "Half Wits" being one of my faves:

[youtube=425,350]bB6KFa7-6B4[/youtube]
It's Teeeeeeeeee-shirt time! CAB'S HERE, CAB'S HERE!  I think we have a Situation.

Cheese_Burgers78

« Reply #27 on: Aug 14, 2013, 10:23 AM »
MASH ( my all time fave )
Happy Days
Hart To Hart

I'm glad they still play MASH on the History channel . Would love to watch Happy Days again , but cant seem to find it anywhere .
" 30 days , boys . 30 sexy days , Julian . Sexy "

moncton velvet smooth

« Reply #28 on: Aug 14, 2013, 10:38 PM »
taxi
And Shitrock's in the cradle and J-Roc's hoes
  Little Bobandy and the way that she goes
When ya get outta jail, son? Dad, I don't know when
 But we'll get drunk and eat chicken fingers then, Dad.
 We'll get drunk and eat chicken fingers then

Noam Sayin

« Reply #29 on: Aug 15, 2013, 06:44 AM »
WKRP in Cincinnati

Sanford and Son
"Barb, yer scalloped potatoes are fucked!"

GmeAFuckinR

« Reply #30 on: Aug 15, 2013, 04:19 PM »
I loved SCTV in the late '70's early '80's They use to air Sat. nite after SNL.
As a 13-15 year old kid I had to wait until my parents were sleeping & sneak into the living room to watch, Dad would wake up & catch me up watching every once in awhile.
I was a BIG Great White North fan, Bob & Doug Mckenzie I bought their Comedy Album & watched 'Strange Brew' about 10 times
It'd be cool if Bob & Doug Mckenzie's Van broke down in the Trailer Park & they looked to the Boys for help  :beermug: :lol:
http://youtu.be/pNRlcjz3acU

NOW,Take Off, You Hosers
« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2013, 04:28 PM by GmeAFuckinR »

"I toe da so, I Fuckin Toe Da SO!"

moncton velvet smooth

« Reply #31 on: Aug 15, 2013, 11:11 PM »
I was a BIG Great White North fan, Bob & Doug Mckenzie I bought their Comedy Album & watched 'Strange Brew' about 10 times
It'd be cool if Bob & Doug Mckenzie's Van broke down in the Trailer Park & they looked to the Boys for help  :beermug: :lol:
http://youtu.be/pNRlcjz3acU

NOW,Take Off, You Hosers
I've thought about that too. I wonder why that hasn't happened; it seems like a natural passing of the torch.
 I liked SCTV, too. My other shit was The Young Ones. Those guys were fucking awesome, just not giving a fuck like they were in Sunnyvale. I loved everything about that show except for that fucking Russian landlord. He'd just show up and bring everything to a grinding halt with five minutes of dumb, boring stand-up. Vivian should have impaled him with a pick-axe and made Neil bury him in the backyard.
[/quote]

fletcherrhoden

• Fletcher Rhoden
« Reply #32 on: Aug 17, 2013, 07:35 PM »
Well, I gotta say, if classic TV comedy is your thing, you really should read my book, FIFTY SHADES OF TRAILER PARK BOYS: TPB in the Great Comedic Traditions.  Not only a breakdown of the mechanics of comedy using Trailer Park Boys as an example (Mr. Lahey in the Tradition of the Comedic Drunk, for example, or Conky in the Tradition of the Evil Ventriloquist Dummy), it uses other modern classics, such as ALL IN THE FAMILY and many of the others mentioned in this thread.  SCTV pops up quite a bit, and the new expanded 2nd edition has new articles about the unique place of Archie Bunker in the Great Comedic Traditions, Peep Show and Trailer Park Boys and Their Shared Secret to Comedic Greatness and so on.  At amazon now, or you can save 15% off the paperback if you buy through my site, fletcherrhoden.com.  It's available for Kindle too.

And now, on to my opinions: A lot of these shows you've all mentioned are classics, no doubt.  I humbly propose SKY KING, a 50's adventure classic and little seen today, the British teen adventure FREEWHEELERS; the 70's drama MOW series THRILLER delivered some good entertainment, very 70s, as did NIGHTSTALKER.  COLUMBO was the king of the 70s dics for me.  The '80s American detective drama VEGA$ was pretty good (can't find more than one or two full eps anywhere on the net); I think the series SWITCH with Robert Wagner was pretty good too, but you never see reruns anywhere.  Ralph Bakshi's THE NEW ADVENTURES OF MIGHTY MOUSE is outstanding, and HARVEY BIRDMAN, ATTORNEY AT LAW is another great animated show.  Actually, I think DUCK TAILS is probably better than most people will admit.  There was a super-dark SESAME STREET parody that ran for a few seasons and was amazing and offensive and brilliant, but the name escapes me at the moment.  Anyone? 

CURRENT CLASSICS include CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM, PEEP SHOW, LOUIE.

fletcherrhoden

• Fletcher Rhoden
« Reply #33 on: Aug 17, 2013, 07:39 PM »
Moncon Velvet Smooth:
Did you know Dave Thomas (a mentor of mine, actually) and Rick Moranis have been trying to get Strange Brew 2 off the ground for years.  It amazes me that nobody will throw $50 at them to make a new film, it would surely be a moneymaker even if it only did moderately well at the BO and surely it would be welcomed by loads of fans.  Hey, it might even be funny -- the first one was, as I recall.
And hey, fifty bucks if fifty bucks, eh?

moncton velvet smooth

« Reply #34 on: Aug 17, 2013, 09:38 PM »
Moncon Velvet Smooth:
Did you know Dave Thomas (a mentor of mine, actually) and Rick Moranis have been trying to get Strange Brew 2 off the ground for years.  It amazes me that nobody will throw $50 at them to make a new film, it would surely be a moneymaker even if it only did moderately well at the BO and surely it would be welcomed by loads of fans.  Hey, it might even be funny -- the first one was, as I recall.
And hey, fifty bucks if fifty bucks, eh?
They've both gotta be pretty old now. It seems like they'd just be sitting around getting drunk and eating Canadian Bacon like Ray, and their kids would be the young hosers having a big misadventure. Passing the reins like that new Ghostbusters movie..
   But, fuck, I'd love to see any reappearance of Bob and Doug McKenzie.

fletcherrhoden

• Fletcher Rhoden
« Reply #35 on: Aug 18, 2013, 10:57 AM »
Yeah, they'd be old -- that was the question that stopped them up, "What CHANGES in their lives have occurred over all this time?"  Interested to see how the boys handle that on TPB8+.  Also, the Sesame Street parody I was thinking of was WONDERSHOWZEN -- wow, dark and hilarious.

iamwhatiseem

« Reply #36 on: Aug 18, 2013, 01:56 PM »
M*A*S*H*
All in the Family
Sanford and Sun
Chico and the Man
TAXI
Hill Street Blues (or was that 80's...)

And then of course....
Scooby Doo
Fat Albert