Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: Do Canadians use the word greasy?  (Read 13308 times)

Optional

• Mogul Sports
Do Canadians use the word greasy?
« on: Feb 07, 2009, 03:43 AM »
I guess greasy means the same as sleazy?

Is that a word all Canadians use a lot?

Fishyneil

• Doritos commercial
Re: Do Canadians use the word greasy?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2009, 05:49 AM »
I notice it more out here in the East Coast of Canada more than I did when I was living in Ontario. Not sure about the other parts/regions of the country. You're correct with the meaning.
Fishy
"So why would you care
To get out of this place
You and me and all our friends
Such a happy human race"

TPB FAQ's... http://www.trailerparkboys.org/forums/index.php?topic=6806.0

TheFave

« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2009, 08:50 AM »
yep we use it in Montreal too but we use sleazy for activities related to sex...

for instance... that dress is sleazy... or... that store is sleazy... or that bar is sleazy...

but we use greasy for activities that are outside of the law...

for instance, that guy runs a greasy bar... (no license) or that's a greasy business (illegal car parts) or he's greasy...(collects unemployment and works under the table...)

Optional

• Mogul Sports
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2009, 09:35 AM »
cheers.. that helps a lot.  ;)

zw

• Home Page
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2009, 09:49 PM »
Was the use of the term "greasy" as wide spread pre TPB's?  :-s

jakemaster1390

« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2009, 07:56 PM »
I seriously don't know. I would use it sometimes myself, as for the series Comments using greasy were more inside jokes because Clattenburg was worried about some of the activities being portrayed was greasy enough for the show
"Dope, Dope Dopity, fuckin' Dope, Dope"- Ricky

"Fuck this court, fuck Jim Layhey, fuck Randy, fuck those two idiot cops right there, fuck suit dummies, as a matter of fact fuck legal aid, fuck Danny and Terry's Buffalo Chicken wings, fuck all the old wood in here, fuck the moon, fuck corn on the cob, fuck squirrels, fuck me, fuck you, fuck everything."-Ricky

"It wasn't me, It was the Liquor"-Layhey

grandgroove

• Dancefloor Numerology
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2010, 10:00 AM »
It sounds like the equivallament (Rickyism) of the word dirty it's used a lot in the southern US.

For example: Ridin' dirty  you're driving a car with no license, insurance/registration, and you've got two pounds of cheeba and a case of codeine cough syrup in the trunk.
.some natures create no plagues.

hashdriveway

« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2010, 10:15 PM »
Yeah we ride dirty in Texas, so do Trinity and her friend. what wuz his name, Kermit?

scott488

« Reply #8 on: Mar 01, 2010, 03:56 AM »
Gotta say I use it and DECENT all the time and I never used it before TPB. Sure I guess I'm turning into a TPB "TREKKIE" What can I say over or not I'm hooked! :coke:

klark_kent

« Reply #9 on: Mar 01, 2010, 07:11 AM »
I hear it once in a while in the Chicago area.. it's sometimes used as a substitute word for "drunk" or "f*cked up!"

JAG

« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2010, 06:29 PM »
My state is so fucked up that we have different dialects and brogues/accents within the same damn state! I am not even exaggerating.  :roll: I have some family right outside Columbus and they sound like they are from Kentucky and use completely different words for things then we do up here. Also, politically, my part of the state is very democrat (the left side of the spectrum) while everything SOUTH of us is very republican (right side). We use the word "decent". "Greasy" is sorta TPB code up here; well that and "fucky". If you hear that; you've made a new friend.  :lol: Cleveland LOVES Canada...Columbus and points south..nope. We are like a state unto our own. We just keep waiting for Ontario to adopt us. Hell, most Clevelanders have been to Canada a million times. When we are out on the islands in Lake Erie....*sigh* Now we have to worry about "Do we go and hope no one asks for a passport card, or do we risk it?"

See if any of this makes any sense:

I live up against Lake Erie, you know, the lake that shares a border with ONTARIO..we used to get stray tv signals from Ontario (pre digital conversion) and we USED to get MuchMusic on our cable channels (before FUSE came out) BUT we do not have a NHL hockey team. We have an AHL team. We also do not have a Horton's anywhere near us. The closest one is about 90 minutes away.

Columbus is in the MIDDLE of the state and THEY not only have a NHL hockey team, THEY have 10 million Horton's all over the damn place! They have NEVER received any Canadian tv nor radio stations either. (If you've got a good receiver and antennae we can still get radio from Toronto.)

OMG...what a rant. Sorry.  :lol:
~Sarah~
*100% Certified Honouary Canuck*

Port Cockerton:

"Maybe if you hadn't spent the whole night sinking space sluts you wouldn't have let down the entire universe yet again!"
"Copy that."
"Solution, Captain Powerful?!"
"MORE powder of confidence..."