Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: When is TPB set?  (Read 12875 times)

tyuiop

When is TPB set?
« on: Nov 27, 2008, 12:06 PM »
Is TPB meant to be set in the 90's or 20's? Do they reference any years in the TV series?
"then we can get two birds stoned at once" - Ricky

"He's the f*ckin' man they call... Reveen"- Conky

DavidB_Bubbles

• Location: Hiding in my shed from a Samsquanch Monster, Salem, Oregon, U.S.A.
Re: When is TPB set?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2008, 12:24 PM »
Trailer Park Boys is set to be in the present. Or the 2000's If you have ever watched The Christmas Special it is set in either 1997 or 98 I cannot remember right off the top of my head.  Also off the top of my head this is the only reference to a year that I can remember.  But yeah it is set to be in the present.  The only thing that might get confusing is if you try to place The Trailer Park Boys Movie to the time line.  The movie is totally different than the series and is considered separate.  In other words the movie was marketed to a different audience and was designed to bring more fans into the world known as Trailer Park Boys.

Mitch Lahey

• NASA Marshall Space Flight Center
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2008, 12:40 PM »
it seems like they always try to be ambiguous about the time, esp. when you look at the cellphones and video games and stuff that they use for props.
-Mitch Dolphin (I work for Cyrus now)

"Hey everybody, there's a shitcloud comin'! Run for your lives!" -Randy Quaid in Kingpin

DavidB_Bubbles

• Location: Hiding in my shed from a Samsquanch Monster, Salem, Oregon, U.S.A.
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2008, 01:30 PM »
Very true Mitch, But I think that is part of the charm of the series. Just like Bubbles "Cell Phone"  He thinks that it's the greatest thing in the world but it is obviously much older technology. But no one in the park either knowns or cares about that.

shake

« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2008, 01:36 PM »
Yeah good point.  Another example is that we do know that in season 6 they were in the time of HD TV but the people in the park didn't understand what was involved with it :)  So yes the answer is the show is set in the present.

King of the Carts

« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2008, 05:35 PM »
Well you can get some sort of a clue from that one episode in Season 6, Halloween 1977.

scoobysnack

« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2008, 09:40 PM »
Back in my day in the 1920's we had all sorts of fancy things like satalite dishes, nintendo, fog machines, green 1970's New Yorkers, HDTV, cell phones, etc, so yeah, I think it could be based on the mid to late 1920's.   :lol:  :roll:

[spoiler]
 :yeahthat:[/spoiler]

Mitch Lahey

• NASA Marshall Space Flight Center
« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2008, 02:49 AM »
...that is part of the charm of the series....

yes it is, and if people asking about that on here would actually buy the DVDs and listen to the commententararies they would hear it from M.C. himself talkin' bout how they like to use crazy shit from all different eras, just cause its fucking funny. Peace! =P
-Mitch Dolphin (I work for Cyrus now)

"Hey everybody, there's a shitcloud comin'! Run for your lives!" -Randy Quaid in Kingpin

Wolfman

• Gammahouse
« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2008, 12:47 PM »
Yeah, the Old issue Canadian money is what caught my notice as well. I think maybe Mike Clattenburg is trying to use these kinds of things to emphasize Sunnyvale's uniqueness, but also its 'separate-ness' from the 'real' world, so to speak.

Wolfman

GypsyGirl

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 08:33 AM »
I never wondered about that stuff because I grew up in trailer parks.  It's not at all unusual to see someone happy as fuck that they got their first color TV... in 1998... or to see two grown men playing an ancient Atari. 

Gotta remember.... these guys were so poor they were living in doorless cars, tent-trailers, and sheds... stealing change from parking meters and stealing and selling shopping carts to buy sausages and cat food.  Selling ass for cheeseburgers and having their kid help steal tires and BBQs to sell. Chances are they wouldn't have had a Wii, Blackberry, or gigantic flat-panel HDtv in a beat-up, worn out, $5,000.00 trailer house.

All of that expensive crap would be Ghetto fabulous... not trailer fabulous.  Trailer fabulous is whatever out of date piece of crap you can get to operate half-assed right after you steal it from a flea market or find in a trash can somewhere. 

I think the props people did an excellent job with this show.  Very realistic trailer-parkish shit.
"Who's got yer belly"

hashdriveway

« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2010, 01:35 PM »
It's not at all unusual to see someone happy as fuck that they got their first color TV... in 1998.
That is very true.

JAG

« Reply #11 on: Feb 28, 2010, 05:55 PM »
ROFLMAO @ Gypsy! There are trailers bigger then my house and until my mother decided to get us into the 2000's, we had an old 21" tv, an Nintendo 64 and other "trailer fabulous" type items. Hell, it was only two years ago that we got rid of the old CRT computer monitor!  :lol:

I'll have to remember that phrase for future referance.

BTW, we still have an Atari 2600 set up and in use in our basement. Those things are DECENT!
~Sarah~
*100% Certified Honouary Canuck*

Port Cockerton:

"Maybe if you hadn't spent the whole night sinking space sluts you wouldn't have let down the entire universe yet again!"
"Copy that."
"Solution, Captain Powerful?!"
"MORE powder of confidence..."