Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: The word on the special, movie and future of TPB from Mike Clattenburg  (Read 58064 times)

walterx2

Stephen Harper said "shut it down" :julian:
Weird though, you'd think the boys would be told what was going on, seeing as they, uhh, only star in it and co-write it and eat, sleep and drink it (and maybe smoke it).  Not like they're heavily involved or anything.  :roll:

That is weird :-s
"There’s class warfare, all right, but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning."

—Warren Buffett

Lucy Decoutere

Hi there, gang.

i forgot my org. password, otherwise i would have written ages ago. i just wanted to write a note about us wrapping up our little show.

the writing has been on the wall for a long time regarding us stopping shooting before we ran out of steam, so when the final decision came down a couple of weeks ago, i was not shocked or floored. i remember a few years ago we all (cast and producers) started talking about when would be the right time to stop making tpb, and i thought that season 7 was going to be the end...then we shot a special...then the second film. i was in fact a little surprised that we went ahead with the second film, and i am really glad we did. and, it feels like i am breaking up with a boyfriend, i am a little heartbroken that we are finished, but i know personally i have to do other stuff. there is a generation of kids i want to teach. gay but true.

tpb has been a really wonderful project to be involved with. i adore the crew who have built this world. i have met some amazing fans. i have had the luxury of glimpsing into mike c's very lush and fucked up (in the good way) brain. he plucked each and every one of us out of our worlds to help make this alternate reality which has hit home with an incredible number of people. without him, this would have never ever been possible. he was the one who had to steer our voices to make these characters come alive. he was the one obsessed with cats. he was the one who thought guts were, for no good reason, funny as shit.

so thanks everyone for getting behind what we have been trying to make. i remember the day we starting thinking about the fans, rather than just thinking about what we think would float as being funny. thanks to sarah and torrens and jeanna and the rest of the cast for being generous and kind, sometimes to a fault. huge kudos to the crew who are the real heroes of this clusterfuck.

it is the helecopters who fucked up a zillion takes who can bite me.

so thanks again.

take it easy

lucy

Coleharbourjim

Thanks Lucy, for a great update on the way things are. Best of all you do in the future.
"I got responcibles now"
06/07 Org Football Fantasy Champion

shake

Yes thanks very much for the post Lucy, we wish you all the best in the future!

Ms Vee

Very happy to see you posting here again. Lucy!  The Org is going to be around for quite awhile.  8)

trice

Very happy to see you posting here again. Lucy!  The Org is going to be around for quite awhile.  8)
No doubt...'Nail on The Head' smilie, Ms Vee

Vancouver

sweeet! Thanks for posting Lucy. I wish you and Sarah much luck!!
TPB Fantasy Hockey League CHAMPION!!

Mitch Lahey

• NASA Marshall Space Flight Center
nice post, thanks 'Luce!
-Mitch Dolphin (I work for Cyrus now)

"Hey everybody, there's a shitcloud comin'! Run for your lives!" -Randy Quaid in Kingpin

Tiggy Puddin

I guess everyone was a little heartbroken when the announcement came.

Onwards and upwards, best of luck Lucy!

scoobysnack

Hey Lucy.  Thanks for dropping by the ORG to leave us a message.  I hope you check back for your fans, including me.   :perv1:  TPB is so avant-garde, that it's watched all around the world.  Thanks for all your work to make such a great show that brought people together.

I have a question that maybe you can answer, how did TPB decide to use the names of characters they did.  For example, both you and Sarah use your real names in the show.  Any reason for that?
« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2008, 01:31 PM by scoobysnack »

Tony Sopranospliff

http://jam.canoe.ca/Television/2008/11/27/7558076-cp.html

From the article:

"'It definitely had nothing to do with us,' Wells said of the unexpected decision to halt production."

Hmm.

That was a very interesting read... Seems like the boys still wanted to keep the showing going at least a little longer, but not everyone was on the same page about it I suppose. It's great to hear that they are working on a new project, I am looking forward to hearing more details about it in the future.

That's cool of you to take the time to give us your personal take on the show's end Lucy. I totally understand that you guys wanted to go out on top, before the show could have potentially became a little stagnant or lost it's edge... Perhaps if the special does well and the new movie coming out next year draws lots of people, you guys could always come out with a special re-union episode down the road, or perhaps even another feature film... Since learning of the show's conclusion a couple of weeks ago, I took some time to look into other films cast members have worked on.

For example, I checked out the bloody horror/thriller "Stuck" that was filmed in St. John, NB that featured John Dunsworth in a small role as a cab driver, and starred Mena Suvari and Stephen Rea. It was very solid film, which I'd recommend to anyone who doesn't mind a bit of blood and gore... I also watched "Juno" with Ellen Page for the first time last night, and thought it was a very well made film, that hit home on a lot of very relevant everyday issues for many people. Definitely give it two thumbs up! I saw the trailer for "A Bug And A Bag Of Weed" on Youtube this past week, and thought it looked like a very funny film. I'm looking forward to the DVD release early next year. I'd love to see that short film "One Last Shot" by Mike Clattenburg from '98 if it was at all possible. Anyone have any idea if it will available in any format in the future, or in the present? :P

Anyway I can't wait for the new movie coming out next fall, and the best part is me and my roommate have been planning to move out to New Brunswick next summer and look for a house, so we'll be able to go check out the movie down in Halifax when it comes out, which should be awesome. 8)

Best of luck to you Lucy in your future endeavors, and to the rest of the cast of this ground breaking and highly entertaining Canadian comedy classic!

Cheers!  :beermug:  :beermug:  :beermug:
Woof, woof, woof, woof, woof, SHUT THE FUCK UP!

RangerF150

This sad news dragged me out of my hole and back onto the internet again !
Nothing I can add, except that we are all the better for the past seasons of TPB's.
The very best of luck to all who helped put it together.
Respect :-)
Don't matter how little you know, someone out there know's even less !

corporol alexi

I live in the USA and HATE television, in fact I don't think there is any show I've watched more than one episode of in the past 5 years. One day last summer I stumbled across Trailer Park Boys on youtube and was hooked immediately, within 2 days I watched all 7 seasons and the movie, so sad to see my now favorite show ever come to a end  :(
"ahh for fuck sakes boys I spelled Corporal wrong"

TheFave

Alexei,

I'm also late to the TPB.  I discovered it just a few weeks ago and was immediately hooked.

Considering my other favourite show is Boston Legal, this was a huge departure from my regular fair.  I've been unemployed since August and I suppose it made me realize that life could be worse and in a way, TPB lifted me from my funk.

I start a new job next week. 

As I said recently in a post over at the National Post,

there but for the grace of God go I.

Debb

corporol alexi

Good luck with the new job, but what made me love the show is I actually live in a Trailer Park, only work 6 hours a week and have made nothing of my life, basically the "Ricky" character showed me I am not all that bad of a person despite what the rest of society thinks  :headbang:
"ahh for fuck sakes boys I spelled Corporal wrong"

TheFave

Thanks Alexei, looks like we all learned a little bit more of ourselves by letting the TPB into our lives.

Good luck with the new job, but what made me love the show is I actually live in a Trailer Park, only work 6 hours a week and have made nothing of my life, basically the "Ricky" character showed me I am not all that bad of a person despite what the rest of society thinks  :headbang:

trice

I live in the USA and HATE television, in fact I don't think there is any show I've watched more than one episode of in the past 5 years. One day last summer I stumbled across Trailer Park Boys on youtube and was hooked immediately, within 2 days I watched all 7 seasons and the movie, so sad to see my now favorite show ever come to a end  :(
I caught my first TPB on BBCA..at around 3:15 AM. I couldn't sleep and it was Monday morning nothing but Infomercials were on. The episode was where Ricky and Lucy get married, even though I only caught the last 15 minutes...I was hooked. IMHO this show will be a Classic TV show in years to come...it's friggin' brilliant

golfinwithflames

I start a new job next week. 

Debb, fuck the new job.
Think; Crime Spree.
I've been talking to Cyrus and he's conjuring up some plans. Anyone interested must have a penchant for gunplay, and not be offended by the word "fuck," Rick Jeffery music and, on occasion, the Flappy Bird Brothers.  8)

daftpunk

I've been a bit up and down about the whole thing, I knew it was coming to an end. Season 7 was the least watched season for me, I've watched each season over and over and over but when Corey and MJ left, I think I just couldn't really be that arsed about the show.

Phil Collins is a fuckin' idiot, shit character to be on the show full time and Sebastian Bach? I mean, what the fuck. That guy brought nothing to the show.

I'll be sad to see it go, It's been my favourite show since the first movie, I'll really miss it. But I'd rather it stop than continue if season 8 would of been anything like season 7.

TruXter

• Musician's blog site.
Thank you Lucy for  what feels to me like Parting words.
Media and direct connection is a magical thing.
For the actors, actresses and the gathering it can create.
You know nothing of me I know only the person you portrayed.
I will miss you and your work.

Seven years I watched this show alone in Texas and no one
knew what the heck I was talking about. One day I met someone
who just seemed to click. I showed her the show, she showed her friends
There are now a bunch of people I know that love the show.
There was even a Halloween theme.
No better time for it to all happen than in the end. So for me it has been a ride
that ended happy.
Love you all ( not like love love but like like love ). And thank you for what you have given.
You could not have been a better matched crew.

TruXter

***Edited**
Ewps.. Brain here, fingers there.
***Edited**
« Last Edit: Dec 02, 2008, 07:02 PM by TruXter »

daftpunk

Thank you Sarah for  what feels to me like Parting words.

I think you mean Lucy.

sexy shit wolf of Sask

There never was and never will be another show like TPB

Cheers to those good times and thank you!   :beermug: :D :6paper:
"Look Rand, I'm mowing the air!
 I'm mowing the air Rand!"

Tiggy Puddin

Nice feature today from CBC:

You don’t need to be a hoser to love the popular Canadian TV show Trailer Park Boys — but speaking as a small-town hoser myself, it doesn’t hurt. Since its 2001 debut, Trailer Park Boys has acted as cultural adrenaline to fun-starved Canadian audiences.

Showcasing the illicit antics of three petty crooks — Ricky, Julian and Bubbles — this gleeful buddy comedy is set in Sunnyvale, a trailer park in Nova Scotia. Trailer Park Boys is heartfelt and always ridiculous, but it’s the show’s anti-consumer, anti-lifestyle approach that truly sets it apart. Sunnyvale’s down-at-the-heels-and-loving-it philosophy has been a welcome reprieve in a consumer-driven cultural climate where the tapas dish is considered essential to civilization, and where too many TV shows serve as nothing more than advertisements for clothing, music and shoes.

Created by director Mike Clattenburg, the show won a Gemini Award for Best Comedy Series in 2004, the same year it became the highest rated Canadian show on specialty television. Now, after seven seasons, this homegrown hit is coming to an end. Actors and frequent show co-writers Mike Smith (Bubbles), Robb Wells (Ricky) and John Paul Tremblay (Julian) stepped out of character to discuss the unexpected end of one of Canada’s most successful TV shows.

Q: Trailer Park Boys comes to an end on Dec. 7 after seven seasons. Why now?
RW: Well… [Laughs] We haven’t really been told exactly [the whole reason why it’s ending now] — that’s probably more a producer question.

Q: You guys are also writers. Did you have input in the last episode?

RW: No, not for the special so much, no. Mike [Clattenburg], the director, and I believe Timm [Hannebohm] — they wrote the episode. At the time, I don’t think it was intended to be the final one.

Q: So the end has come as a bit of a surprise?
RW: A little bit. We’ve suspected that it was coming the last couple of years. But we don’t really know exactly. We just had a very brief call with the producers. We’re hoping to get an explanation at some point [and hear] exactly what the details are.

Q: The show’s been a success in Canada, which isn’t known for its edgy TV culture. Why is it so hard to make good TV here?
MS: Hmm. We’re stumped. [All laugh.]

RW: It’s definitely hard. [The show is] just trying to break some of those rules. All of the shows made [when we started] seem to have the same old formula … We were being very different. Now there are a few new shows out trying to push things a little differently.

Q: The show features some funny visual gags, like seeing people spark cigarettes with barbecue lighters and drink out of cut up pop bottles. How do you come up with those details?
MS: Most of that stuff just comes from growing up in rural Canada. Everybody I know always lit cigarettes with barbecue lighters, people cut two-litre bottles of pop in half and drank out of them…

RW: Or used piss jugs.

MS: Or used piss jugs. Go to any town in rural Canada and you’ll see that kind of stuff. It’s sort of part of our culture.

Q: One of the things that has always struck me is that Trailer Park Boys represents poverty, but not in a depressing way.
RW: It’s neat to look at poverty in a positive way. A guy can live in his car and that’s all he needs to be happy, as long as he has food and his family. So many people want to have so much money, and all these bills and everything else cause so much stress in their lives, and these people [on the show], their lives are so simple and they’re much happier in many ways.

Q: All of you have played these characters for a while — are you sick of them yet?
MS: No, it’s fun. We don’t do it probably as much as it appears. They are fun characters to do. That’s not to say that we don’t want to pursue other things and try and play other characters, but these particular ones are fun because we improv a lot. We just try to make each other laugh when we’re doing live shows or live TV.

Q: The show aired on BBC America in 2004 to mixed reviews. Do Americans get Trailer Park Boys?
MS: Yeah, I think they get it. I think the problem was they were forced to bleep [Trailer Park Boys] and once you do that to the show, it changes the show’s whole feel, because the swearing isn’t a punch line — it’s the way we talk. But when you bleep it, it becomes a punch line. It really stands out and changes the feel of the show.

Q: Why did they bleep the show in the first place?
MS: That Janet Jackson thing at the Super Bowl — her costume malfunction or whatever they called it — the CRTC or whatever it’s called in the U.S. cracked down big time, and they were going to fine networks for swearing. They screened one of our episodes and it was going to cost like a million dollars to air it.

Q: Did that teach you something about making future deals with U.S. networks?
MS: Yeah. [The show] starts airing down there in January on Direct TV, and it’s not going to be bleeped. We’re looking forward to seeing how that goes.

Q: Robb, you worked on the script for the Trailer Park Boys movie, The Big Dirty. What did you learn from that experience?
RW: We learned a great deal. The major thing was [that] it wasn’t true to what we wanted as a film of Trailer Park Boys. There was a lot of influence. It was in collaboration with Ivan Reitman’s company and he was fabulous to work with. But their idea of Trailer Park Boys and our ideas were two different things.

Q: I can see that, that there’s a different vision infiltrating in a way in the film.
RW: It is what it is and it was a great experience. The second movie [the upcomingCountdown to Liquor Day] is more true to what we’ve always wanted for Trailer Park Boys.

Q: What future plans do you have as individuals?
MS: We’re stumped again. The three of us are working together on different things. We’re trying to develop a new TV show, working on a couple of screenplays. We have an office in Dartmouth and we meet up every day and work. Everything is still sort of in the early stages. But we have big aspirations.

Q: So, you’d like to come back to TV?
RW: We’d like to do more Trailer Park Boys as well.

Q: Mike, you went on tour with Axl Rose in July 2007. What was that like?
MS: It was crazy. I was only supposed to go for a couple of shows. I ended up getting drunk and staying for two months. Axl is quite an interesting dude to hang out with.

Q: Was your Trailer Park Boys experience good preparation for being on tour with Axl?
MS: Yeah, I mean I was in pretty good drinking shape from Trailer Park tours. Guns ‘N Roses don’t hold back. They know how to go full tilt.

Q: What are you going to miss most about filming the show?
MS: It’s just a really fun job. We get to go to this trailer park and hang out with our friends and laugh all day, which is basically what we do. It’s hard work but that’s what I’ll miss most about it. That was our job and it’s a really good job. You get to go and goof around all day.

RW: I’m going to miss the whole creative process, but mostly the cast and crew.

JPT: Same thing. You go to work every day and you try and make each other laugh and few people can say that these days.

MS: What other job can J.P. go to and take his shirt off and rub oil all over his muscles?

JPT: That’s a good part of it, I guess.

Q: What aren’t you going to miss?
RW: Lots of things I can’t tell you.

MS: This guy that’s always on set and every day he’d jab me with a sharp stick. I’m not going to miss that guy.

JPT: Randy [played by Patrick Roach]. He’s all oily and sweaty: it’s like hugging a baloney log.

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/tv/story/2008/12/02/f-trailer-park-boys-finale.html

walterx2

Hmmm! Directv in Jan. Just might be what they need to break wide down here. First I heard of that. Fuck, I just switched to fIOS a couple of months ago.
"There’s class warfare, all right, but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning."

—Warren Buffett

trice

Go Me..I have Direct TV! Another great Post Tiggy  :hugs: