Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: It's Always SunnyVALE in Philadelphia....  (Read 21217 times)

Stakegirl

Re: It's Always SunnyVALE in Philadelphia....
« Reply #50 on: Aug 26, 2011, 08:29 PM »
I've only seen the episode where they had lots of gas in a van and stuff went golfin with flames. I liked it a lot I guess it's like the best show I'm not watching.

Someone mentioned The Green Dude was a coping mechanism for taking too much drugs. Perhaps it's a stretch but isn't the Green Bastard also a coping mechanism for Bubbs to feel confident and strong? Just throwing it out there  :bubs:
A Dope Trailer is No Place for a Kitty

Ms Vee

« Reply #51 on: Nov 13, 2011, 10:28 PM »
My son has gotten me into this funny show. He was always watching it on-line and asking me to watch it. I finally did. I am just starting Season 2. Lots of good couch surfing coming up.

moncton velvet smooth

« Reply #52 on: Nov 14, 2011, 02:53 AM »
   Just watched some of Season 7. Seems like they're trying to turn Mac into more of a Randyesque character. He's put on about 50 pounds, has a big ol' gut and goes around eating off of a garbage bag of chimichangas. Also watched a season 4 eppy where Charlie and frank were going down into the sewer to try and find stuff. reminded me of Cory and Trevor using the sewer to sneak into shows.
 :6paper:
And Shitrock's in the cradle and J-Roc's hoes
  Little Bobandy and the way that she goes
When ya get outta jail, son? Dad, I don't know when
 But we'll get drunk and eat chicken fingers then, Dad.
 We'll get drunk and eat chicken fingers then

corytrevordawg

« Reply #53 on: Jan 05, 2012, 12:34 PM »
Always Sunny and TPB are probvs my two favourite TV shows right now, Always Sunny's too damn hilarious! I think these two shows are arguably one of the best in their respective countries!  :beermug:

JAG

« Reply #54 on: Jan 16, 2012, 12:44 PM »
   Just watched some of Season 7. Seems like they're trying to turn Mac into more of a Randyesque character. He's put on about 50 pounds, has a big ol' gut and goes around eating off of a garbage bag of chimichangas. Also watched a season 4 eppy where Charlie and frank were going down into the sewer to try and find stuff. reminded me of Cory and Trevor using the sewer to sneak into shows.
 :6paper:

I remember Rob McElhenney, who plays "Mac" saying something about his weight gain was a way to make Mac more funny. That Mac just "needed" to get fat...it just fit the character. LOL! Anything for a laugh.

Maybe it is just his excuse for all the baby weight HE gained when his wife ("Sweet Dee" on the show, Kaitlin Olson) got pregnant.  :lol:

I have read that he's already lost most of that weight...the bastard. Only a man can loose 50 pounds in the blink of an eye! :roll:
~Sarah~
*100% Certified Honouary Canuck*

Port Cockerton:

"Maybe if you hadn't spent the whole night sinking space sluts you wouldn't have let down the entire universe yet again!"
"Copy that."
"Solution, Captain Powerful?!"
"MORE powder of confidence..."

JAG

« Reply #55 on: Jan 16, 2012, 12:52 PM »
...also, he said he was tired of seeing sitcom stars get "better looking" as the show went on. He said something about, they make more money and the show makes more money and then the characters on the show start looking BETTER as the show goes on. True to the "Its Always Sunny..." mind frame; they wanted to do the exact OPPOSITE. He tried to get the rest of the cast to join in on the weight gain too, but they passed. Especially Kaitlin, who just had a baby. LOL, I don't blame her, but a fat Dennis would have been HYSTERICAL. Especially if he still thought he was all that.!
~Sarah~
*100% Certified Honouary Canuck*

Port Cockerton:

"Maybe if you hadn't spent the whole night sinking space sluts you wouldn't have let down the entire universe yet again!"
"Copy that."
"Solution, Captain Powerful?!"
"MORE powder of confidence..."

Mitch Lahey

• NASA Marshall Space Flight Center
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2012, 09:16 AM »
i saw one of the newer ones recently where Charlie gets a job as a janitor at the local school, couldn't help being reminded of the similar TPB episode with Ricky :)
-Mitch Dolphin (I work for Cyrus now)

"Hey everybody, there's a shitcloud comin'! Run for your lives!" -Randy Quaid in Kingpin

tODD

« Reply #57 on: Jul 18, 2012, 05:42 PM »
This is a great show, I've only gotten into it the last two years, but I'm hooked now. I enjoy looking for episodes that I haven't seen on syndication.
The Park's #1 Peeler Dealer.

fletcherrhoden

• Fletcher Rhoden
« Reply #58 on: Aug 19, 2012, 02:12 PM »
Sunny is very much in the same ballpark with TPB -- both shows are quite dark, they share a kind of fearlessness.  I don't know if I'd call Sunny TPB LITE.  If anything, I'd say MY NAME IS EARL is very close to TPB, and of course RENO 911!  This is exactly what my book is about, comparing TPB to various comedic benchmarks to suss out the common denominators, to figure out what makes these shows great (and in some cases, not so great). 

tODD

« Reply #59 on: Nov 13, 2012, 12:36 PM »
Last week's new episode was absolute comic genius - it's so well done - I could not stop laughing the entire time. I have watched it at lest 5 times already. I might be over it for now, but it isn't leaving my DVR; until I can buy this season's episodes. 

:action-smiley-033: :congrats:

The Park's #1 Peeler Dealer.

fletcherrhoden

• Fletcher Rhoden
« Reply #60 on: Nov 13, 2012, 09:45 PM »
I like SUNNY for its darkness, its hardscrabble characters and their shady dealings.  It is very much in the same traditions TPB travels in.   However there is a LOT which differentiates it -- or shall I say there's a lot which differentiates TPB from SUNNY and other similar shows.  TPB wasn't the first show to present low-on-luck, long-on-dreams characters and their hair-brained schemes -- From I LOVE LUCY to THE HONEYMOONERS and in a variety of today's sitcoms worldwide, this is a common tradition.  Britian's PEEP SHOW had drug users, drinkers, schemers and scammers, professional criminals and the like, as do lots of other shows.  No show I've seen takes things to the comedic hilt the way TPB does (more drunks, more drugs, more whores, worse language) but that doesn't mean that other shows are rip-offs, just that they draw lines that TPB didn't.  SUNNY has drinkers, but not as many hardcore drunks as TPB.  MY NAME IS EARL has low-life types and their off-the-wall criminal enterprises (I'd say EARL is a closer rip-off of TPB than SUNNY is).  If anything, RENO 911 is the true TPB rip-off, down to the COPS parody and mockumentary shooting style.  But what RENO and EARL and SUNNY all lack, what so many of these shows lack, is the loving bond between the characters that TPB has.  It's the reason TPB is so great.  Julian, Ricky and Bubbles love each other, and say so often.  Even when they fight, their bond is unbreakable.  On those other shows, the characters HATE each other.  All the men on SUNNY seem to hate Sweet Dee.  The cops on RENO make a point of despising each other, behind their backs and to their faces.  On EARL, the only real connections are between Earl and his brother Randy.  Even Jamie Pressley's character doesn't seem that fond of her own lover or kids.  She doesn't seem to like anybody but herself, and even that's questionable.  So I'd say not every show which is similar to TPB is really a rip-off of it.  But they all do dwell in the TPB shadow, no question.  I doubt any program will ever succeed artistically the way TPB has, probably because writers, producers and audiences have become so jaded that edginess is what counts, not true human emotion. 

walterx2

« Reply #61 on: Nov 18, 2012, 02:28 PM »
I like SUNNY for its darkness, its hardscrabble characters and their shady dealings.  It is very much in the same traditions TPB travels in.   However there is a LOT which differentiates it -- or shall I say there's a lot which differentiates TPB from SUNNY and other similar shows.  TPB wasn't the first show to present low-on-luck, long-on-dreams characters and their hair-brained schemes -- From I LOVE LUCY to THE HONEYMOONERS and in a variety of today's sitcoms worldwide, this is a common tradition.  Britian's PEEP SHOW had drug users, drinkers, schemers and scammers, professional criminals and the like, as do lots of other shows.  No show I've seen takes things to the comedic hilt the way TPB does (more drunks, more drugs, more whores, worse language) but that doesn't mean that other shows are rip-offs, just that they draw lines that TPB didn't.  SUNNY has drinkers, but not as many hardcore drunks as TPB.  MY NAME IS EARL has low-life types and their off-the-wall criminal enterprises (I'd say EARL is a closer rip-off of TPB than SUNNY is).  If anything, RENO 911 is the true TPB rip-off, down to the COPS parody and mockumentary shooting style.  But what RENO and EARL and SUNNY all lack, what so many of these shows lack, is the loving bond between the characters that TPB has.  It's the reason TPB is so great.  Julian, Ricky and Bubbles love each other, and say so often.  Even when they fight, their bond is unbreakable.  On those other shows, the characters HATE each other.  All the men on SUNNY seem to hate Sweet Dee.  The cops on RENO make a point of despising each other, behind their backs and to their faces.  On EARL, the only real connections are between Earl and his brother Randy.  Even Jamie Pressley's character doesn't seem that fond of her own lover or kids.  She doesn't seem to like anybody but herself, and even that's questionable.  So I'd say not every show which is similar to TPB is really a rip-off of it.  But they all do dwell in the TPB shadow, no question.  I doubt any program will ever succeed artistically the way TPB has, probably because writers, producers and audiences have become so jaded that edginess is what counts, not true human emotion.

There is a New Zealand show called Outrageous Fortune that has the same type of vibe as TBP. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0461097/ It is about a multi-generational crime family whose matriarch decides the family will go straight, after her husband once again goes to jail, whether they like it or not. Of course they have a hard time doing that and it is a great show that goes for six seasons. Great writing and the characters really shine. Like TPB I think the first 3 or four seasons are the best but I enjoyed all of them. Of all the shows we compare TPB with I think this is the closest to me.

As in Canada the it appears the censors are pretty lenient in NZ. So all of the drugs, sex, swearing etc. are not bleeped.

I believe that it took a couple of episodes before i got into it, then I watched the first four series quickly and had to wait for the last two to be released.

If anyone wants to watch the first season PM me and I will send you a link.
« Last Edit: Nov 18, 2012, 02:30 PM by walterx2 »
"There’s class warfare, all right, but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning."

—Warren Buffett