Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: It's Always SunnyVALE in Philadelphia....  (Read 21377 times)

cart girl

It's Always SunnyVALE in Philadelphia....
« on: Sep 26, 2008, 02:53 AM »
I searched, but couldn't find any other threads about this show......I've been hearing how good it was for a while, but the guy who turned me on to TPB told me a month or two ago that it was like "trailer park boys LITE" so, I had to see it......So, in the last month or so, I've watched the first three seasons...FUNNNNNNNNNNNNY stuff....I would define it  more as "urban" TPB with less cursing and less drooooogs ( well, less dope, but there've been crackhead eps and coke-dealer eps), but then tonight, watching the brand new ones from the other night.......they referred to a cock as a "bird"   IT'S A SIGN!!!!    I'd love to see the TPB boys meet up with the It's Always Sunny crew.....I think the TPB boys would whoop their asses!

Anyone else seen/like/dislike/love/hate  this show?

Anyone else see the parallels?   (thank fuck for spellcheck....parallel is hard to spell when drunk n on droogs)

HEYYYYYYYYY O
« Last Edit: Oct 18, 2008, 02:04 PM by cart girl »
not a note~!

RadBunny

Re: It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia....
« Reply #1 on: Sep 26, 2008, 11:15 AM »
I've seen the show, its pretty damn funny. I believe it comes over here on FX network, where fox sends shows to die, like king of the hill. However, they keep some of the dirtier stuff on FX because its considered a cable network channel. Therefore the FCC can't fuck with the censorship that much. I believe the new season comes out in a few days for that show too. It is pretty damn funny tho.

Vancouver

« Reply #2 on: Sep 26, 2008, 12:31 PM »
I love that show...actually I mentioned it wayyyyy back somewhere and nobody answered (I though fer sure Walter had seen it, seeing as he is in Philly)
My favorite eppy is "DB" Dumpster baby, if you haven't seen it you have too, it is sooooo funny I still laugh remembering it.
TPB Fantasy Hockey League CHAMPION!!

walterx2

« Reply #3 on: Sep 26, 2008, 01:46 PM »
Watch it Vanny, I'm from Pittsburgh not Philly.  :)

I really loved the first 3? seasons of the show but I find that I'm not into this season as much. It seems like they are trying too hard or maybe they have just worked those characters as much as they can and I'm getting bored by them. Its early in the season though and I haven't watched last nights epis yet
Still better than 90% of the garbage on TV.
"There’s class warfare, all right, but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning."

—Warren Buffett

Vancouver

« Reply #4 on: Sep 26, 2008, 03:04 PM »
lol...my bad Walter...sorry  'bout that. :oops: Its been along while since we've exchanged anything  :D ok really I thought Philly was in Pennsylvania, I guess all that American geo didn't really stick  :D and all those Ps. confusing.  :? Plus Imma stoner  :6paper:
TPB Fantasy Hockey League CHAMPION!!

walterx2

« Reply #5 on: Sep 26, 2008, 04:26 PM »
Relax, just messin with ya  :D You are right though Philly is in PA just on the other side of the state. Right church, wrong pew.

My fault tho, I've been incommunicado with everyone for awhile. All on me. 
"There’s class warfare, all right, but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning."

—Warren Buffett

RadBunny

« Reply #6 on: Sep 26, 2008, 11:13 PM »
Just watched the premiere episode of this season

Danny devito buys a billboard in order to get people into a bar, and a war resumes between the remaining main cast members about what will pull in more custy's, the billboard with sexy chicks and dudes on it, or a youtube advertisement online.

Not spoiling, just giving away the main plot, enjoy it when you see it.

Mitch Lahey

• NASA Marshall Space Flight Center
« Reply #7 on: Oct 06, 2008, 07:11 AM »
I'm starting to like this show even more, fuck- it is really funny. and there are alot of TPB-like things about it. Even some specific things... like the theme/intro is soo sunnyvale but set in Philly... and isn't it always sunny in Sunnyvale too?  :-k

I heard one character use the word "drinky-poo" and there was another episode where someone said "let's split it 50-50-50" (I definitely remember Ricky saying that)... and then theres one where they pretend to be in wheelchairs to get attention... lots of strip-club scenes.. ohh and Danny DeVito's in it... isnt that the guy who created Reno 911? ..again a lot like TPB... but what came first?

ah really tho, when you think about it these are just random things anyone could come up with... anyone could really just dissect a fuckin show and compare it to another one and say they copy it.. blah.. at least there are some great shows out there nowadays lets just embrace them, eh? i'm rambling.. peace! :)
« Last Edit: Oct 06, 2008, 07:24 AM by Mitch Lahey »
-Mitch Dolphin (I work for Cyrus now)

"Hey everybody, there's a shitcloud comin'! Run for your lives!" -Randy Quaid in Kingpin

Mitch Lahey

« Reply #8 on: Oct 09, 2008, 01:47 AM »
just noticed there are two recurring characters who are brothers and wear bathrobes even in public. can anyone say terry and dennis?

"Hey everybody, there's a shitcloud comin'! Run for your lives!" -Randy Quaid in Kingpin

Mitch Lahey

« Reply #9 on: Oct 12, 2008, 03:08 AM »
OKAY...

now I'm getting a bit pissed-off... but I'll admit it i'm still highly entertained at the same time.

Observe: Season 3 Episode 2 entitled "The Gang Gets Invincible" is a straight-up rip-off of "The Green Bastard".

"Ahhh, are you gonna bust out Green Man, yo?"
"no green man!" ...

Danny DeVito: "what's Green Man?" (Like he doesn't know already)

"Oh, well Charlie was our high school mascot, but a mascot nobody wanted and he used to get wasted and dressed up in this *Green Spandex Body-Suit*..." (They emphasize this by speaking all at the same time as scripted.)

then the Charlie character (who plays in character with his real first name) procedes to wrap his hoodie over his head and pretend to wrastle invisible opponents.

I haven't even watched the rest of this episode, but I think that scene speaks for itself. Is there something here you guys know that I don't... is that why no one has responded to this thread in awhile? weeeird.   :-k

also...

Dee looks a lot like Lucy!  :o

Fishyneil

• Doritos commercial
« Reply #10 on: Oct 12, 2008, 03:11 AM »
I haven't responded 'cause I've not seen the show but those do sound like TPB rip offs. :-s
Fishy
"So why would you care
To get out of this place
You and me and all our friends
Such a happy human race"

TPB FAQ's... http://www.trailerparkboys.org/forums/index.php?topic=6806.0

Mitch Lahey

It's ridiculous, it's too analogous to not mention!

sorry for the double-posts, Fishy!
« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2008, 03:24 AM by Mitch Lahey »

Fishyneil

• Doritos commercial
« Reply #12 on: Oct 12, 2008, 03:25 AM »
The comparisons seem to be quite frequent even starting from Cart Girl's first post. I wonder what's up with that. If one of the characters takes a bite of a Philly cheese steak sandwich and says "Holy FUCK that's a good sandwich" I would certainly cry fowl.
Can you view it online without using torrents?
Me fix double post Mitch ;) 8)
Fishy
"So why would you care
To get out of this place
You and me and all our friends
Such a happy human race"

TPB FAQ's... http://www.trailerparkboys.org/forums/index.php?topic=6806.0

Mitch Lahey

« Reply #13 on: Oct 12, 2008, 04:04 AM »
yes! you can Fishy, it is available streaming @ http://www.ninjavideo.net/video/787 (Just make sure to click the "Launch Ninja video" Link first and keep that window open)

... I just noticed something else I can't help but mention now it seems the characters who are so much like Terry and Dennis also share qualities of Cory and Trevor.

They are always trying to "Bump fists" with Charlie and the "Gang", but Charlie always turns them down.

I just keep waiting to hear "Two beers, c'mon!" or something similar to the 2smokes bit :P

also, and correct me if i'm wrong, CG, but isn't your profile pic actually a frame from this episode?

you know whats up right? c'mon, this stuff is waaay too cooincidental to be by accident.
« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2008, 04:39 AM by Mitch Lahey »

Mitch Lahey

« Reply #14 on: Oct 12, 2008, 04:54 AM »
request: change the name of this thread to "It's Always Sunnyvale In Philadelphia..." :P

RadBunny

« Reply #15 on: Oct 12, 2008, 04:10 PM »
Anyone see the last episode?
Fukken Hilarious when the girl goes shoe shopping and then tries to run out with a pair of expensive shoes and slams her head on the side of a car door outside. fucking hilarious.

Mitch Lahey

« Reply #16 on: Oct 12, 2008, 04:39 PM »
i'm slowly catchin up, i'm at the first few episodes of season 3 now...

...goddammit, now i'm on an episode where they reveal that Charlie has a "secret place" where he likes to smash bottles, wtf?!

Charlie is like Bubbles and Ricky combined with Bottle Kids!
« Last Edit: Oct 13, 2008, 04:37 AM by Mitch Lahey »

cart girl

« Reply #17 on: Oct 14, 2008, 10:18 PM »
yeah, it's totally an americanized/urbanized  version of TPB.......i'd love to talk to these guys and ask them if they're fans of TPB, and if they said no, bitch slap them....but i can't help it, it makes me laugh......honestly, if there were new eps of TPB, i don't know that i'd like it as much.....got into a big ole text msg argument with a buddy of mine tonight who said it was NOTHING like TPB....had to inform the boy that he was blind.  but, once again, i do like it and it DOES make me laugh....a lot....i mean, the last episode was titled "who pooped the bed" for fuck's sake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ps...bourbon is especially wonderful when one is working four jobs!!!!!

p.p.s......yes, mitch, my avatard is from the "green man" ep......i didn't even think about the green man/green bastard correlation until you pointed it out,  but i used it in my txt msg argument earlier tonight, so thanks!  (ps again to mitch...re-send me your mailing addy....i might have another care pkg of books to come yer way!)
« Last Edit: Oct 14, 2008, 10:22 PM by cart girl »
not a note~!

Mitch Lahey

« Reply #18 on: Oct 18, 2008, 07:47 AM »
you're awesome, CG! ..and thanks again for "The Stingray Shuffle"! (We should start a book club!) ;P
so, apparently Rob McElhenney (who plays Mac in the show) is the creator/producer/director/dueshebag who copied the TPB motif and adapted it for American television; and now it plays proudly on Showcase alongside "My Name Is Earl", "Testees", and an absent TPB Season 8 and no word of an air date for the special. >;|

http://www.showcase.ca/video/?playerId=showcasevideocenterdart&referrer=static&referralPlaylistId=f561473b09dd41534ce069579772a26614e0bd9f&referralObject=554622642&playlistId=74a4a5caa1f7dccb84792284e97f87ac3c38c618&streamingFormat=FLASH

(From Wikipedia)...
"...his manager and agent presented McElhenney's idea for a "Seinfeld on crack" sitcom to the FX cable network."

Don't get me wrong, I think it's fucking hilarious too... (their original material is)... but some scenes i'm just like wtf, they are obviously copying the boys and they know these american network exempultive dicks have never heard of tpb; it's fucked. someone give me some pepperoni.

P.S.

Mac and Dee are actually married in real life.

P.S.S.s.s..s.s.dsssssss...

...just found an interesting interview here...

http://www.hobotrashcan.com/2008/09/09/one-on-one-with-the-guys-from-its-always-sunny-in-philadelphia/

[spoiler]
One on One with the guys from It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia

September 9, 2008

Most of us dream of having our own TV show, but Rob McElhenney, Glenn Howerton and Charlie Day actually made it happen. The three shot a pilot for It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia on a digital camcorder for under $200 and sold the show to FX. In 2005, the show about four self-absorbed slackers running a pub in South Philadelphia debuted on the network. The show exceeded expectations and the following season, Danny DeVito was added to the cast.

The show, which has been described as “Seinfeld on crack,” will soon be back for its fourth season, so we sat down with McElhenney (Mac), Howerton (Denis) and Day (Charlie) to talk about egg salad sandwiches, The Night Man and their dream of one day working with Kurt Russell.

We have a serious question to start - why are you guys so damn funny?

Glenn Howerton: Well, I’m eating an egg salad sandwich right now.

Rob McElhenney: That’s hilarious.

Charlie Day: Eggs are funny.

Howerton: Not only are eggs funny, but they cause you to fart and farts are funny.

What is the writing process like? How do you come up with episodes?

Howerton: Oh boy, how do we come up with the episodes? It’s almost like a work environment, really, more than anything.

Day: It’s a nine-to-five job, man. Come in in the morning and don’t leave until you come up with some funny ideas, and if you haven’t come up with anything funny, just starting eating eggs until you think of something funny.

Howerton: Or you’re going to get raped.

Who does the raping?

McElhenney: That would be me.

Day: That would be Rob.

Howerton: Yeah, he does the raping.

Day: The Night Man.

You were fortunate to end up on FX since the network seems to understand the show and gives you all room to work. Do you ever ponder your fate if the show was picked up by somewhere like NBC or CBS and you had to deal with all of the network censorship?

McElhenney: We would have made one episode.

Howerton: But we would have probably made more money off of that one episode.

So you guys ever plan on selling out? Are there any plans to take the big contract some day?

Howerton: Oh absolutely. Fuck yeah, bro. What do you think we’re doing the show for?

Day: Yeah, we were just having that conversation right now, as to whether or not to cut out a joke that we want because of Standards and Practices or quit the show, so we’ll see. It’s tough. Even with FX, we have to fight battles sometimes, so I don’t know if we are capable of selling out.

What types of battles do you have with FX over content?

McElhenney: We want to say “fuck.”

Howerton: There’s some language issues. It has less to do with FX and more to do with just the standards of the consumer public.

Why aren’t you allowed to say “fuck”? You can say “shit” on the air.

McElhenney: It has something to do with the Christian Coalition.

They don’t like to fuck?

Howerton: No, they like to fuck, but they like to fucking lie about it. And they like to judge other people for fucking because they hate themselves so much.

What can fans expect to see in season four? Can you give a preview of what you guys have planned.

McElhenney: Rape.

Howerton: Believe it or not, there really are going to be a lot of rape jokes this year.

Day: I think people can expect a great season. I think it’s one of our strongest ever. If it’s not the best, it’s one of the best, so we’re really excited about it.

Howerton: We’ve been editing during the hiatus. We just finished shooting, so we’ve been editing for the last couple days. All the stuff that we’re looking at is great. It’s got us really excited, man.

When the show is all said and done and the fans look back at it, do you think “Day Man” and “Night Man” from the episode “Sweet Dee’s Dating A Retarded Person” will end up being your Freebird?

Howerton: I think when you see this season, we’re doing an entire Day Man and Night Man musical that I think is going to blow the other one out of the water. But yeah, it’s entirely possible.

Do you still enjoy the Day Man and Night Man stuff? Obviously, you are doing the musical this season, but are you happy that fans have really latched on to Day Man and Night Man?

Day: It kind of took us by surprise. We shot it on the first day of shooting season three. We all laughed about it and sung the song for a while. Then, by the time it aired, we were so over it that we forgot that it was very funny.

Howerton: We thought it was kind of funny.

Day: We thought it was funny, we were just really pleased to see people found it as catchy and as funny as they did. So, we’ll see. Hopefully something will click with them this season too.

What is it like working with 80s icons Danny DeVito and Fred Savage?

Day: 80s icons. [Laughs.]

Howerton: We all grew up as kids in the 80s, so we grew up watching Savage and DeVito. It’s like getting to work with your heroes - minus Fred Savage, but certainly with Danny DeVito. Well, it’s hard to call him your hero, he’s like my age. Now I look at him, I just see a fat, old man. But no, Fred’s great. It’s awesome working with those guys. There’s a reason they’ve been around for a while. They’re terrifically talented people.

Who is the biggest diva on the set?

Day: Fred Savage.

Howerton: We don’t have any divas on the set, honestly.

Day: With our time constraints and our budget, no one can afford to be a diva.

Howerton: The way we run things, dude, trust me, man, if anybody was a diva, they’d be fucking gone. We just don’t put up with that kind of shit, man. That’s stupid. I only wish that one day I work with somebody who locks themselves in their fucking trailer because what I’m going to do is I’m going to go to transpo and I’m going to say, “Drive the fucking trailer as far away from here as you possibly can with that motherfucker in it.” I don’t give a shit who it is. Fuck that, that’s stupid baby shit, man.

You guys are beloved in Philadelphia, but Philly is not necessarily the most forgiving city. They booed Santa Claus, they booed Donavan McNabb. Do you ever worry about a Philly backlash?

Day: That’s like worrying about the South uprising again.

[All three laugh.]

Day: We can handle it. It’s all talk.

What is it like when you guys go to Philly? Are you big celebrities there?

McElhenney: Philly has definitely embraced the show. Every time I go home, it certainly seems like the show is growing. So I think people get the joke.

You have another project in the works called Boldly Going Nowhere. What can you tell us about that show?

Day: We’re really excited about that. It’s another comedy and it’s set in outer space. And we’re able to bring a lot of our sense of humor and our style of comedy to a setting that is ripe for comedy. So we’re really excited. We’re just starting to write some of the future episodes and we’re shooting a pilot this fall. Hopefully Fox puts it on the air and the audience watches it. I think it’s going to be great.

What would you guys be doing for a living if you never got into show business?

Howerton: Aeronautical engineering. For sure, for me. I love airplanes.

Day: He’s smiling.

McElhenney: That would be a good job.

Day: I wouldn’t do much because I wouldn’t be capable of doing very much. I’d probably - God, what would I do?

Howerton: You’d be an alcoholic, for sure.

Day: Well, I already am an alcoholic. I’d probably be like a greenskeeper at a golf course or something, you know what I mean? I’d probably be a greenskeeper.

So is that your fallback plan?

Day: Too late, buddy, I’ve made it. I don’t have to fall back on shit, unless I pick up a serious coke habit.

Tell us something most people don’t know about you guys.

Day: I’m 6′1″. And a lot of people think I’m really short. I squat a lot on the show because it’s right for my character. It’s actually a method thing that before we went into shooting, so I could squat, I had my legs compressed. They went in, they bashed my knees with like some shorter ones.

Howerton: Now the amazing thing about Charlie is that he’s actually the tallest and most handsome of the three of us. He’s a good actor. He acts shorter.

How do you act less handsome?

Day: Well, you don’t. I think Glenn’s a little confused on that point. But, what do you not know about us? The truth is that people might think we’re guys who are always joking around and goofing around, but we’re probably the hardest working, three most serious people you’ve ever met. We’ve spent many, many, many tireless hours working on this show and now the other show as well and in real life, we’re sort of boring and driven.

What plans do you guys have for the future?

Day: Private jets.

Howerton: Trips to private islands.

Day: World peace. I don’t know, run for governor, maybe.

Howerton: I want to meet Kurt Russell.

Day: That’s it; we’re just trying to meet Kurt Russell, man. We’re just trying to do it.

You guys can make that happen. Maybe write an episode for him.

Howerton: Hey listen man, that guy won’t do TV. We’re all big Kurt Russell fans and we’re trying to get him for our new show. We think he’s the most talented guy in Hollywood.

McElhenney: He won’t do it.

Now that you mentioned it on this website though, it’s going to happen.

Howerton: That would be amazing, man. If you have something to do with making that happen, we’d probably fly you out here, coach, and take you to -

Day: Well, there’s a bus. There’s probably a bus.

So if Kurt Russell ends up on the show, can we take credit for it?

Howerton: Yeah, absolutely.

So for any one who hasn’t seen It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, here is your chance to promote the hell out of it and tell people why they should check out the new season.

Day: For anyone who hasn’t seen the show, they -

McElhenney: They’re missing out on the funniest show on television and if they miss out again this year, they’re just straight dicks.
[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: Oct 18, 2008, 07:50 AM by Mitch Lahey »

cart girl

« Reply #19 on: Oct 18, 2008, 02:04 PM »
um, in this past week's episode, they kidnapped a guy and actually said "it's not kidnapping, we just BORROWED him"   really?????  it's getting to be too much for even me...im gonna have to look for  a new avatard!

ps...mitch, send me that mailing addy again, i lost it
not a note~!

Tiggy Puddin

Re: It's Always SunnyVALE in Philadelphia....
« Reply #20 on: Oct 18, 2008, 05:04 PM »
I've watched a few episodes and while it is really funny, you'd have to be a blind retarded hedgehog not to notice the TPB similarities.

I guess imitation is the sincerest form of flattery - without the royalties.  :?

RadBunny

« Reply #21 on: Nov 08, 2008, 06:42 PM »
Latest episode was hilaaaaaaaarious. where they try to get patty's pub a historical landmark, and tell the tale and all fade back to 1776, fucking hilarious. Devito uses a skunk pelt as a wig, the two other guys dress up as fancy english men and get tarred and feathered as sodomites. had me laughing my ass off.

Mitch Lahey

« Reply #22 on: Nov 10, 2008, 06:01 PM »
it was funny, but I didn't like it as much as some of the older episodes.

Hazza

« Reply #23 on: Nov 11, 2008, 10:33 AM »
I don't think I'm gonna watch this show incase it annoys me lol. As if it is ripping off the masters.

A similar case is my friends telling me to not bother when I mentioned I hadn't seen Dumb and Dumber 2. They said it would ruin everything for me lol.

I am constantly thinking if I have ripped off TPB when writing for my mockumentary film I am making. Even if it wasn't a parody. I'd be like "Aw man! They got there first! Oh well that idea's going in the bin" lol

hazza
x
...couple of drinks....
www.myspace.com/metalhazza88
www.myspace.com/parklifefilms  (my movie! Updates occur when they happen)

xhippie

« Reply #24 on: Mar 31, 2009, 09:04 AM »
i think this show rocks! i really didn't see it as a ripoff of the boys, there are some similarities in the characters but is that coincidence?i mean the green bastard is a wrestling character..the green man was a coping mechanism for taking too many drugs.."it got me through some hard times"lol.
« Last Edit: Mar 31, 2009, 09:08 AM by xhippie »