Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: Cable vs Telephone High Speed Internet service  (Read 2241 times)

Ms Vee

Cable vs Telephone High Speed Internet service
« on: Aug 02, 2008, 11:12 AM »
I am on cable internet now, and I am planning on changing over to Telus High Speed internet.  They offered me a good rate plus a free Laptop.  The high speed is not dial-up! It is a bit cheaper.
Any advice/suggestions?
« Last Edit: Aug 02, 2008, 12:17 PM by Ms Vee »

walterx2

Re: Cable vs Telephone High Speed Internet service
« Reply #1 on: Aug 02, 2008, 12:38 PM »
What speed/price? Is it dsl or fiber?
"There’s class warfare, all right, but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning."

—Warren Buffett

Ms Vee

« Reply #2 on: Aug 02, 2008, 01:40 PM »
It is $40.95 per month with a 3 year contract.  The speed is 3.0Mbps, and I think it is fibre.

Jdub

« Reply #3 on: Aug 02, 2008, 04:28 PM »
I don't know the difference Vixie but I can tell you what sold me on Shaw.... NO CONTRACT BABY!!  If that's important to you  ;)  hugs

walterx2

« Reply #4 on: Aug 02, 2008, 08:34 PM »
I don't know what the competition is in canada but I have 15M download 2M upload for 39.99 \month for one maybe two years, I don't remember. I think it goes to 49.99 after.

It screams, I can download a cd in a minute or less and a movie in a flash.

I love it and would recommend it to anyone

"There’s class warfare, all right, but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning."

—Warren Buffett

jakemaster1390

« Reply #5 on: Aug 08, 2008, 03:01 PM »
I am currently on a 286 DSL Connection and it is ok for me (Still causes some video streaming problems on certain websites but alot better than dialup.) No my advice is look at the current speed offered by your plan compared to the prices and speed of the competition because usually the faster the speed the higher the price.

Also when switching you would probably have to get a new modem so double check if it is bought seperately or if you only rent it and it is included with the per month fee
"Dope, Dope Dopity, fuckin' Dope, Dope"- Ricky

"Fuck this court, fuck Jim Layhey, fuck Randy, fuck those two idiot cops right there, fuck suit dummies, as a matter of fact fuck legal aid, fuck Danny and Terry's Buffalo Chicken wings, fuck all the old wood in here, fuck the moon, fuck corn on the cob, fuck squirrels, fuck me, fuck you, fuck everything."-Ricky

"It wasn't me, It was the Liquor"-Layhey

RadBunny

« Reply #6 on: Oct 06, 2008, 02:06 AM »
Cable over here. I would go T1 or T3 if i had the money. High speed Dial-up is good for websites, e-mail and stuff like that. But if you try to play a game online on dial-up expect bad results.

The best internet connection by far is the Gig pipeline. However, a gigabyte pipeline is only available to nuclear power plants at this time. It's used to quickly exchange and update information between nuclear power plants. Imagine downloading an entire movie in about 10 minutes, and you'll know what a gigabyte pipeline can do.