Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: looking.......for help  (Read 6096 times)

Jdub

looking.......for help
« on: Jun 23, 2008, 05:33 PM »
Anyone......is there ANYONE out there who knows a good free Anti-Virus program I can d/l.  I have AVG and been quite happy with it, but recently I've been getting a message asking me to upgrade, BUT it seems now I have to pay for the newer version. I'd stay with the old but they will no longer give definition updates on this.  I could be wrong, but that's what I'm seeing.

Also,  I have the free Ad-Aware 2008 with Lavasoft.  I'm none too happy with. It won't update my definitions automatically and after I do and run it, there is only one problem found. ONE...now I find that hard to believe.

So does anyone have any suggestions for the both of those.....anyone????

Thanks

Dirty Dancin

Re: looking.......for help
« Reply #1 on: Jun 23, 2008, 05:49 PM »
I use Spybot and Avast now. I'm sure someone more technologically savvy may have a better suggestion, but there's my 2 cents.  :)

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/
http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html
« Last Edit: Jun 23, 2008, 05:54 PM by Dirty Dancin »
"It doesn't hurt to do something absolutely outrageous."

Fishyneil

• Doritos commercial
« Reply #2 on: Jun 23, 2008, 05:55 PM »
Here's a free online scan that I use on a regular basis too. Catches stuff AdAware doesn't...

http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/tools/security_tools/housecall

Fishy
"So why would you care
To get out of this place
You and me and all our friends
Such a happy human race"

TPB FAQ's... http://www.trailerparkboys.org/forums/index.php?topic=6806.0

Tiggy Puddin

« Reply #3 on: Jun 23, 2008, 06:23 PM »
I'm using Avira anti-virus at the moment - pretty good apart from the occasional annoying ad pop-up.

http://www.avira.com/en/solutions/home_home_office.html

Panda used to be a good online checker, I haven't tried it for a while (ironically because my Dell is having 'issues' at the moment!)

http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeusers/solutions/  (scanner at the bottom of the page)

As for Ad-Aware alternative, try this one

http://www.superantispyware.com

Blimey, I almost sound like I know what I'm talking about!

walterx2

« Reply #4 on: Jun 23, 2008, 08:07 PM »
JD,

Just download AVG 8.0 Free.

http://free.grisoft.com/ww.download?prd=afe

This should do the trick
"There’s class warfare, all right, but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning."

—Warren Buffett

Jdub

« Reply #5 on: Jun 23, 2008, 09:39 PM »
Thanks for all the help guys and gals.  I tried the spybot and Avast. Avast found 4 infected files!!! We'll see how it goes and if they don't work I always have back ups!

Jdub

« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2008, 03:50 PM »
Heya Peeps,  I'm back here again but for something different.  I really wanted to do something nice for my brother and his wife (who is in the Philippines).  I had taken a  video of my bro while he was working in the snow.  He's a tow truck driver.  Anyway I wanted to post it on Facebook video for him as a surprise so his wife could see snow!...and him working in snow.  Apparently the video can only be 2 minutes long but the one I have is just over 5 minutes.   Is there a free program somewhere......over the rainbow, that I could use to shorten this video? 

Muchos Gracias Mi Amigos

Fishyneil

• Doritos commercial
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2008, 03:52 PM »
Is it a time thing or a size restriction? The only way you can reduce the time of the video is to edit it else they would all look like the Keystone Cops and sound like the Chipmunks.
Fishy
"So why would you care
To get out of this place
Such a happy human race"

Fishyneil

• Doritos commercial
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2008, 04:01 PM »
Just did some digging and came up with this from facebook...

"Please upload a file only if:

* The video is under 1024 MB and under 20 minutes.
    * The video was made by you or your friends.
    * You or one of your friends appears in the video."

As long as it's a file on your computer, you should be fine.
Fishy
"So why would you care
To get out of this place
Such a happy human race"

Jdub

« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2008, 04:09 PM »
I'll try it again Fishy.  Is there more than one video application on facebook?  I'll let you know my prognosis.   :)  Thanks Fishy!

Jdub

« Reply #10 on: Dec 21, 2008, 04:14 PM »
Under the "video" application this is what I get.....

Please upload a file only if:

* The video is under 100 MB and under 2 minutes.
    * The video was made by you or your friends.
    * You or one of your friends appears in the video.

I'm guessing there is another video application somewhere on facebook.....

Fishyneil

• Doritos commercial
« Reply #11 on: Dec 21, 2008, 04:19 PM »
I go to my home page, look at the top right hand corner under Applications for video. I click on that and it gives me an option in the top right hand corner to upload video. Then I can browse my computer for the video file.
Fishy
"So why would you care
To get out of this place
Such a happy human race"

Jdub

« Reply #12 on: Dec 21, 2008, 04:32 PM »
Yeah I was doing that, and it gave me that message I just posted.  I think I figured it out though .  If you want a bigger limit you have to confirm your facebook account.  You give them your mobile number and  they text you a code to which you enter....
Unfortunately......no text has come through to his phone yet...  I'm going to try it on mine.  Thanks again for your help Fishy.

Vancouver

« Reply #13 on: Dec 21, 2008, 05:10 PM »
upload it to youtube and send her tha link?
TPB Fantasy Hockey League CHAMPION!!

Fishyneil

• Doritos commercial
« Reply #14 on: Dec 21, 2008, 06:52 PM »
Looks like she got it uploaded onto her facebook page. Good job Jdub :congratulations:
Fishy
"So why would you care
To get out of this place
Such a happy human race"

evilbubbles

« Reply #15 on: Dec 22, 2008, 10:00 AM »
i swear by comodo.  it is a great free program and you can put it training mode to learn your habits so it won't interfere.  i also use malwarebytes anti virus scanner.  also free.  except no substitutes.

Jdub

« Reply #16 on: Dec 22, 2008, 09:28 PM »
Looks like she got it uploaded onto her facebook page. Good job Jdub :congratulations:
Fishy
Thanks Fishy!  It was just as I thought. Had to verify his account through his mobile.  NOW he has heaps of MB.  He asked how I did it and I told him I'm edumacated from all that book learnin I did.  :)

Jdub

« Reply #17 on: Aug 20, 2010, 03:02 PM »
Hey Peeps,  Instead of starting a new topic I thought I'd just bump this but with a different problem I need help with.   I have an 5 yr old PC from Dell that has been very good to me.  Recently I went to go burn a DVD and noticed that the door/tray to the burner won't open.  It's a Philips DVD+-RW DVD8701 and it came with the Dell.  When I turn on the PC the power light to the burner comes on then blinks and then goes off.  After that...kaput....can't open it.   I've checked the properties and it tells me the device is working properly.  I can't trouble shoot it as the wizard asks me to insert the driver disk but I don't have one as like I said...Dell installed it before shipping over.

Shit like this drives me nuts and I'm geared up to get it fixed. Any suggestions on how I can get this working would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

Fishyneil

• Doritos commercial
« Reply #18 on: Aug 20, 2010, 03:56 PM »
I don't know how to make it open automatically but you can use a straightened out paper clip and push it in the little whole in the front flap. That will open it manually.
Fishy
"So why would you care
To get out of this place
Such a happy human race"

Jdub

« Reply #19 on: Aug 21, 2010, 02:09 PM »
Well hell, I didn't even know there was a hole on that door part, thanks for that Fishy!  MSA while I was typing that post you came to mind so I knew that you'd come and help!

Well I tried the little hole and it worked!  Yay!  Fyi, there was no disk in it and I could use the button to close it but like before, the button won't open it.  So I guess it's like you said and there is a seizure happening.  Can you recommend a comparable and affordable replacement? 

Also when my desktop was resurrected form the blue screen of death a couple of months ago I lost downloaded software when my hard drive was replaced.  I had Nero burning and from reading CNET reviews they do recommend Nero 10 but it seems like it takes up a shit load of space.  I'm not sure it something I will utilize fully as I just tend to burn DVDs once and a while for myself.  Can anyone recommend a good software I can download?

In addition....as they help here is really good, I have another problem.   Last year I got a Dell Studio 1500 laptop (windows 7 o/s) that had both Roxio burning as well as Windows DVD Movie maker.  Because my desktop burner door wasn't opening I decided to use the Windows Movie maker to burn the DVD.  After a bloody hour of encoding and burning it spit out a DVD with video but no audio.  WTF?!?  So after sluething on google and forums I'm getting it's either A)  a third party burning software is conflicting with the windows so you have to un-install it or b) it's a codec problem which means I have to d/l a codec pack, but make sure i un-install the codecs that are already on here.

At this point my response to that is A)  why the FUCK did you ship me a laptop that had two burning programs that are just going to conflict with anything else B)  why the FUCK do I have to start fiddling around with installing and un-installing codecs which from what I can read on forums is just causing other people nothing but grief!

My laptop is much love and needed so I'm really scared to start messing with it. On the other had I think it's shit that I've paid for these programs only for them not to work properly.  Also windows forums seems to give out the long and involved answers which confuse the hell out of me....

Thanks!

P.S.  I just noticed that I have Quicktime on my laptop.  Way back I tried to watch a video clip online and was told to d/l it.  Halfway through I thought fuck it and cancelled it but it kept giving me messages that I needed to finish installing it so I did.  I'm going to get that fucker off right now.  I wonder if I have to get rid of my DivX player my VLC media player and my media player classic as well??

« Last Edit: Aug 21, 2010, 02:15 PM by Jdub »

Tiggy Puddin

« Reply #20 on: Aug 21, 2010, 02:16 PM »
A) because it's a Dell and B) because it's a Dell! I have one too, I spend more time fixing the bloody thing than working on it.

I've had far more luck using freeware than the software that comes with the machine.