Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: Windows XP Service Pack 3 Warning!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 4346 times)

jakemaster1390

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Warning!!!!!!!!!!
« on: May 12, 2008, 05:12 PM »
For those of you who regularly update their computers with Windows update and are Running Windows XP with Service Pack 2, You may notice that there is now a Windows XP Service pack 3 available through Windows update. My Advice DO NOT INSTALL IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If You do try installing it, Make sure that you have just created a system restore point and as an extra you also have a set of Restore CD's created or even better, an image of your hard drive if something goes terribly wrong and The System Restore doesn't work.

I have just tried installing the service pack and now I am Trying to get my computer back in order because something in the service pack caused it to not start up at all. It would get to the screen where you see Windows XP and That had the little loading indicator bar, but that is hwere it cut out and then restarted again where it gave you the options of starting it in the last known good configuration, safe mode ect. I had to put it into Safe mode to get the fucker to boot in any way becasue the new service pack fucked up the normal booting and then I had to do a system restore to get it back to a working order. Now I have to find out what is gone thanks to the system restore and reload it.
"Dope, Dope Dopity, fuckin' Dope, Dope"- Ricky

"Fuck this court, fuck Jim Layhey, fuck Randy, fuck those two idiot cops right there, fuck suit dummies, as a matter of fact fuck legal aid, fuck Danny and Terry's Buffalo Chicken wings, fuck all the old wood in here, fuck the moon, fuck corn on the cob, fuck squirrels, fuck me, fuck you, fuck everything."-Ricky

"It wasn't me, It was the Liquor"-Layhey

DavidB_Bubbles

• Location: Hiding in my shed from a Samsquanch Monster, Salem, Oregon, U.S.A.
Re: Windows XP Service Pack 3 Warning!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 05:37 PM »
I was wondering if anyone else has tried to download the service pack 3 ?  I have two computers and I successfully downloaded it on my old (2001 era) desk-top yesterday afternoon without a problem at all.  So after more consideration I downloaded and successfully installed it on my lap-top this morning.  So all seems to be going well so far *fingers crossed* 

walterx2

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 05:46 PM »
no problems on any of my PC's (3) and i have sp3 running on all of them
"There’s class warfare, all right, but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning."

—Warren Buffett

trice

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 06:01 PM »
Same here, have it on my p.c. only not laptop

jakemaster1390

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 06:29 PM »
Then if it worked for your computers, what in the Fuck happened to mine. Question, were any of you guys asked to restart your computer. Because I know mine didn't. I thought since it is usually good pratice to restart the computer once the software was downloaded, it started screwing up there. Also When I downloaded the program I heard a sound come out of my computer that I have never heard before and hasn't been heard since the restore.I think it has to do with my damn CD/DVD drives. I heard two clicks which sounded to me that it came from one of those drives becasue I know on startup, the system automatically checks these drives for system discs I am wondering, if my dvd drive is fucking it up becasue I know it gets to about this point where it checks for the system discs then it automatically shuts down and then for me to get it to restart, I must put it in safe mode and then activate the system restore.

"Fuck this court, fuck Jim Layhey, fuck Randy, fuck those two idiot cops right there, fuck suit dummies, as a matter of fact fuck legal aid, fuck Danny and Terry's Buffalo Chicken wings, fuck all the old wood in here, fuck the moon, fuck corn on the cob, fuck squirrels, fuck me, fuck you, fuck everything."-Ricky

jakemaster1390

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 07:18 PM »
Ok. Now I have just got off a chat with a technician that handles compaq computers. This is a problem that most often occurs with people that have computers with AMD processors. I found out that this service pack has a power management program embedded in it that is ment for intel processors, and when it interacts with an AMD Processor, it casues the computer to shutdown to prevent damage. in order to load it successfully this program must be disabled using safe mode.

Here is the link for people experiencing this problem that have an AMD Processor.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c01457284&dlc=en&product=3214102&printable=yes&encodeUrl=true&

Now just contemplating wheither I should do it or not. I know I should do it for security reasons but I don't want my computer fucked up.

trice

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 07:52 PM »
Ya gotta roll the dice and hope for a winner, good luck ;)

jakemaster1390

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 08:02 PM »
hopefully I can find and fix the file before I shut down. and If I am unable to find it before the shutdown, then I am automatically restoring the computer. Basically the fix requires going into the disc. But I thought I would warn everybody. My mother does not believe in updates and I know that her computer is at more risk for attack than mine becasue for a while there, she was sending junk mail without her permission and once we updated the fucker, she hasn't yet recieved a bounced E-mail for junk saying the e-mail address is postmaster.

*PS*

Just tried it and worked like a charm. Now my computer is running SP3. I think it pays to talk to the techies when you can't figure it out on your own
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 09:07 PM by jakemaster1390 »

walterx2

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 09:10 PM »
Go ahead and do it JM. All it is doing is asking you to rename a file.

This will solve your problem, I'm sure.
"There’s class warfare, all right, but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning."

—Warren Buffett

jakemaster1390

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 05:27 PM »
I have and it now works. Just warning others that have a non- intel processor now because it is from a program that is desgined to work with intel processors and if you don't have a previous version fo the program, the new registry entry will be orphaned with nothing for it to link to and now with it for nothing to link to, it stops the computer dead in its tracks from booting.

Well, I have talked to other pople and this is a common occurnece that some sort of window's update will crash a computer becasue it happened with my mother's computer at work and it happened to a computer that is my assistant managers at work.

Cappy

• Location: Blue trailer on the corner........stay off my fackin' lawn!
« Reply #10 on: Jun 13, 2008, 07:39 PM »
Did you try hitting it with a hammer?
You can't just give up on pulling up your pants!

jakemaster1390

« Reply #11 on: Jun 16, 2008, 12:48 PM »
Did you try hitting it with a hammer?

no, IT started to cooperate befoe I had to hit it with a hammer