Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: Need to buy a PC - and one that doesn't suck?  (Read 3698 times)

Tiggy Puddin

Need to buy a PC - and one that doesn't suck?
« on: Jan 31, 2008, 06:45 PM »
My laptop is nearly dead, my business computer won't connect to the internet so it's time to buy a new PC.

So far I've heard HP are crap, Dell are crap, Tiger Direct are expensive etc etc and I'm not sure if I want to build one myself (I can see how that might end up...)

Anyone got recommendations as to where to get a decent desktop PC? I'm also looking at getting XP rather than Vista (if this is possible) as some of my software isn't 100% compatible yet.

golfinwithflames

Re: Need to buy a PC - and one that doesn't suck?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2008, 07:25 PM »
Not sure what you're looking to spend, but Digital Storm is the best, most reliable company I've found to create for you exactly what you want. The best support team (they email you right back and answer the phone quickly) and FREE SHIPPING!

Check them out at http://www.digitalstormonline.com/

The forums

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/forums/

P.S. It's difficult and becoming impossible to find XP on a new PC, but D.S. gives the option of a split system where you can switch between Vista and XP. I haven't used this type of system, so I can't vouch for it personally, but I know that they can do that for you.
« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2008, 07:56 PM by golfinwithflames »

Shit machine gun

« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2008, 08:36 AM »
I've got an HP Pavillion laptop and I'm happy with it.  It came with only 1 gig or ram but the newer models all have 2.  It's 17" widescreen with the number pad on the right.  Has a built in webcam too. 

However, if you choose one from a small reputable local company, your service and business would likely be appreciated more.
2009-2010 TPB FANTASY HOCKEY CHAMPION. 

"I can be bought. If they paid me enough, I'd work for the Klan." - Charles Barkley

I HATE Conky

"I hear chicken, cola fizz, mustard and relish, all coagulatin together, and french fries and onion rings, but you know what, I don't hear a heart, Motherfucker"

hunnerbun

« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2008, 11:17 AM »
SMG i have the same one but with 2 gig.  Since mine has come back it has been fine.  The problem was a motherboard failure, so basically that could happen to any laptop or computer for that matter.  Frustrating when the thing was only 6 weeks old but what can you do.  HP customer service was frustrating to say the least but I always managed to get connected to a call center in either Cape Breton or BC, so I didn't have to deal with not being able to understand the tech support person (aside from the local Glace Bay accent which i picked up on right away, since I am from close by there).
As for Vista, I am not a gamer so it has been fine for me.  I had a bit of a glitch with compatibility with Simply Accounting but that is minor and I am pretty much happy with Vista now.
My God...what a drunk horror show!

Shit machine gun

« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2008, 12:33 PM »
i had a glitch that wouldn't play video clips from the camera, but it turned out to be a conflict with Nero 7 and Vista.  I "got" Nero 8 and there hasn't been a problem since.
2009-2010 TPB FANTASY HOCKEY CHAMPION. 

"I can be bought. If they paid me enough, I'd work for the Klan." - Charles Barkley

I HATE Conky

"I hear chicken, cola fizz, mustard and relish, all coagulatin together, and french fries and onion rings, but you know what, I don't hear a heart, Motherfucker"

jakemaster1390

« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2008, 01:29 PM »
My own personal pc was a wal-mart special sale. only had one lick of trouble with it (couldn't connect to the damn network but it turned out to be nortons firewall causing the trouble). It is a compaq but I find it is pretty good. I think they still use xp but some of the more expensive ones have vista and from what I have seen, vista isn't too bad. But before I go upgrading, I am at least waiting for them to come out with a Service pack becasue that will fix most of the glitches. (Any new OS or program will have it's glitches. I know becasue I got Microsoft office within a week of the release and I have been trying to track down some of the glitches.
"Dope, Dope Dopity, fuckin' Dope, Dope"- Ricky

"Fuck this court, fuck Jim Layhey, fuck Randy, fuck those two idiot cops right there, fuck suit dummies, as a matter of fact fuck legal aid, fuck Danny and Terry's Buffalo Chicken wings, fuck all the old wood in here, fuck the moon, fuck corn on the cob, fuck squirrels, fuck me, fuck you, fuck everything."-Ricky

"It wasn't me, It was the Liquor"-Layhey

Tiggy Puddin

« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2008, 02:59 PM »
Thanks for the advice everyone, I've decided to go with the Dell. They are pretty much the only company offering XP and their parts are reasonably good spec so it should be a good machine. Now the only frustrating part is waiting for it!

Fishyneil

• Doritos commercial
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2008, 03:02 PM »
Dell has a pretty good onsite warranty too. Our company used to be dispatched on Dell warranty calls.
Fishy
"So why would you care
To get out of this place
You and me and all our friends
Such a happy human race"

TPB FAQ's... http://www.trailerparkboys.org/forums/index.php?topic=6806.0

jakemaster1390

« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2008, 12:16 PM »
Yeah. Dell is pretty good. That is all my school has and it has been able to support everything so far. I think of crashing one myself but that was due to a powersurge which fried the USB ports due to a fan malfuntion (I accedentally stuck a pen in the fan)

"Fuck this court, fuck Jim Layhey, fuck Randy, fuck those two idiot cops right there, fuck suit dummies, as a matter of fact fuck legal aid, fuck Danny and Terry's Buffalo Chicken wings, fuck all the old wood in here, fuck the moon, fuck corn on the cob, fuck squirrels, fuck me, fuck you, fuck everything."-Ricky

walterx2

« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2008, 04:03 PM »
I bought a dell in 1999 and I just put it to pasture last year. I had little or no problems with it.

"There’s class warfare, all right, but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning."

—Warren Buffett

Refuckulator

• Matt's Design Portfolio
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2008, 06:03 PM »
iMacs start at 1299 I believe.
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/canadastore?family=iMac

These computers are unbelievable.
You don't have to worry about viruses, the iMac Operating System doesn't even recognize what they are.
Its an HD display.
There is no tower, everything is built right into the moniter, so good to save space.
It takes more energy to run an iMac then it does to run a light bulb.
You can also still use a lot of Microsoft programs with them as well.
Follow me: @MattRichBedard

jakemaster1390

« Reply #11 on: Feb 11, 2008, 06:56 PM »
Only Problem I find with mac's is that they are compatability nightmares. Some of my teachers have mac laptops. They have the microsoft office but want to use one of the computers at school to print off files. Even though they are the same programs, You need some extra programs to see everything on a file that comes from a mac. I also found that they were difficult to be compatable with the projectors.I don't even like the look of the Mac OS. To me It is not that logical. I may revise my opinion if I spent time with a mac but every mac that I have seen have had huge compatability issues with other software.

Fishyneil

• Doritos commercial
« Reply #12 on: Feb 11, 2008, 07:01 PM »
Mac vs Microsoft? It really depends what you want to do with your computer. Mac's are superior to PC's for some applications whereas PC's excel in other area's. You kind of have to know what you want to do before picking a format.
Fishy
"So why would you care
To get out of this place
You and me and all our friends
Such a happy human race"

TPB FAQ's... http://www.trailerparkboys.org/forums/index.php?topic=6806.0

shake

« Reply #13 on: Feb 11, 2008, 10:33 PM »
MACs are supposed to be easier to work with but I'm useless on one.  I couldn't do half the things I wanted to do, simple things like rename a file.  Of course it is mainly because I'm not used to them, but to the people that say they are more intuitive I say horseshit!

I thought my desktop was kaput, I wasn't able to turn it on.  I fiddled with it and I think it may just need a tuneup, the fan was pretty dusty.  I copied all my latest stuff to my external hard drive and I'll think I'll take it in for a tuneup.  Lucky for me I already bought my laptop.  The laptop came with Windows Mail.  Anyone know how to copy Outlook contacts and messages into it?  I tried to import the Outlook.pst but it would have none of it.  I guess I should try and get Outlook on my laptop.  Can you get it for free?

Cappy

• Location: Blue trailer on the corner........stay off my fackin' lawn!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 31, 2008, 02:45 AM »
Buy one thats resistant to hammers.
You can't just give up on pulling up your pants!

Salem13

« Reply #15 on: Mar 31, 2008, 02:17 PM »
to the people that say they are more intuitive I say horseshit!

More intuitive I think... for someone who has NEVER touched a computer. The higher rate of hair to pull ratio for Mac would be those versed in Win-PC.

I mean... to shut down... press start... PC users have some oddly twisted expectations on how things should work.

If you took someone from a stark desert wasteland like say Calgary and put them in front of a Mac... ?  ;)