Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: Computer Question  (Read 3004 times)

Evangeline

Computer Question
« on: Jan 17, 2008, 05:32 PM »
Lets say you bought a new computer..is there a way to save your music play lists from your old computer and email them to the new computer?

Fishyneil

• Doritos commercial
Re: Computer Question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2008, 05:57 PM »
It's easier to take your old hard drive out of the computer and add it into the new one as a slave drive. You could copy all the files you want to the new hard drive and then remove the old drive (or just leave it as a slave drive). I'm assuming that the old drive is IDE and not SATA. Doesn't matter either way.
 The new computer will automatically detect and install the drive. E-mail is a bad option IMHO.
Fishy
"So why would you care
To get out of this place
You and me and all our friends
Such a happy human race"

TPB FAQ's... http://www.trailerparkboys.org/forums/index.php?topic=6806.0

Evangeline

« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2008, 06:07 PM »
Do you think the computer guy at the store would do that for me?  Because I don't have a clue, lol 

I have no idea if my hard drive is IDE or SATA.  I have no idea what that means.

Thanks for your help Fishy :)

Fishyneil

• Doritos commercial
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2008, 06:51 PM »
He should be able to do that easily and shouldn't charge too much. If you don't know your IDE from your SATA, just get him to do that. It sounds like you wouldn't feel comfortable refuckulating your computer. ;) Let me know the outcome.
Fishy
"So why would you care
To get out of this place
You and me and all our friends
Such a happy human race"

TPB FAQ's... http://www.trailerparkboys.org/forums/index.php?topic=6806.0

Salem13

« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2008, 08:24 AM »
Just dont call them (the music) play lists... the play list is, by name, a tiny file that keeps track of all the actual music files... just ask him to transfer all of your music.

If all of the music is in mp3 form you could just search all files and folders for *.mp3 and get an idea of how much you actually have to "move"... from there it may be just as easy as burning it all to a few DVDs?

Evangeline

« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2008, 09:29 AM »
Ok I have my new computer but all my stuff is still on my old one which my husband is going to use.  So I guess I have to start fresh.  Oh well.

Thanks for the help anyway guys :)

golfinwithflames

« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2008, 12:10 PM »
A method that works well for extracting any files from one PC and move them to another is a Flash Drive or "Thumb" Drive (because they are generally about the length of your thumb.) You simply plug it into the USB port on your PC and it appears in your Windows Explorer as a new drive (Example: Drive F.) Then you go to the folder that has all of your music, videos, text files, whatever, highlight them, right-click-drag to the new drive and select "move here."

There are tons of different brands available in 1, 2 gigs and above. Since the average size of a music file is about 5 megs, you can easily fit them all on a 2 gig model. Then remove the Thumb Drive from the USB port of the older PC, plug it into the USB on the new one and you can move them to the new music folder on the new PC.

I have a few of these and use them every day to download movies and videos while I'm at work, then take them home to put them on my PC or burn to discs. You can find them at any Walmart, PC store, and most any department store will carry them in the Electronics section. They go from around $25.00 and up. For a good, reliable 2 gig you'll spend about 60, but with all the use you can get out of them, they are well worth it.

« Last Edit: Jan 18, 2008, 12:14 PM by golfinwithflames »

golfinwithflames

« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2008, 07:50 AM »
I just got something awesome from the makers of Creative sound cards for PC. It's called a MUVO V100. It's a 2 gig flash drive as described above, that is also a killer MP3 player and voice recorder. Here is more from the Creative website:

Easy to use MP3 player with lyric display, playback options, voice recorder and direct USB connection

Plug your MuVo into the computer USB port and simply drag and drop your music or files directly into your MuVo - no cables needed!

Personalize Your Music
The high-resolution backlit LCD display allows you to see what's playing - easily find your special song! If you like extra bass with your music, use the 5-band equalizer settings to adjust the intensity level. Plus, choose how you want to listen to your music! Scroll through the playback options and select shuffle playback or play your music in the order you like it.

Take it Everywhere
If you're having a party or enjoying time alone, listen to your music library by connecting your MuVo to your home stereo system. When you're out on the road, carry your files to and from meetings or classes.

This tiny, portable device requires no cables and allows you to directly connect to a PC. With a replaceable AAA battery and skip free playback enjoy your music everywhere you go.

Capture Your Thoughts
The built-in microphone records 125 hours of high quality voice recording. It's perfect for capturing ideas and saving quick reminders anytime - anywhere. Plus, record lectures, transfer them onto your laptop and slow down the voice for more detailed note taking.

Here's the freakish part. Walmart has them for under $40.00 Amernican! You can put any kind of file on this unit. Video, text, music, whatever, and use it to transfer the files to another PC, or use as a great sounding MP3 player.

Evangeline

« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2008, 08:25 AM »
I need to get one of those!

jakemaster1390

« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2008, 02:15 PM »
There is also another option.

If it is windows, There should be a thing called a File Transfer Wizard. All you need to pick up is a File Transfer cable then you could transfer anything you want.
"Dope, Dope Dopity, fuckin' Dope, Dope"- Ricky

"Fuck this court, fuck Jim Layhey, fuck Randy, fuck those two idiot cops right there, fuck suit dummies, as a matter of fact fuck legal aid, fuck Danny and Terry's Buffalo Chicken wings, fuck all the old wood in here, fuck the moon, fuck corn on the cob, fuck squirrels, fuck me, fuck you, fuck everything."-Ricky

"It wasn't me, It was the Liquor"-Layhey

Refuckulator

• Matt's Design Portfolio
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2008, 12:48 PM »
If you have a DVD burner you can burn them all to a data DVD...
You could burn them to CDs too, would just take longer and would use a lot more disks.
Flash drive would probabl be the easiest thing to do though.
Follow me: @MattRichBedard

Evangeline

« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2008, 06:38 PM »
I will show my husband your suggestions!  Thanks very much! :)

Cappy

• Location: Blue trailer on the corner........stay off my fackin' lawn!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 31, 2008, 02:44 AM »
Hit it with a hammer!
You can't just give up on pulling up your pants!