Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: one other thing - speakers...  (Read 4591 times)

BoTTleKid

• http://kemicalimbalance.deviantart.com
one other thing - speakers...
« on: Sep 29, 2007, 06:03 PM »
Another strange thing that has been happening since moving is that I'm getting little cracks and pops in my speakers when i listen to music. They never did this before I moved. Could it have something to do with the outlet I'm using? I have the latest SoundMax drivers installed and I've tried to turn down the acceleration on them but it doesn't help. Everything is securely plugged in. Suggestions?
"...he keeps stickin' a fuckin' gun in my face."
-

Refuckulator

• Matt's Design Portfolio
Re: one other thing - speakers...
« Reply #1 on: Sep 29, 2007, 06:14 PM »
Have you check the Bass and Treble options in the Advanced options in volume control?
Or maybe the options on your music player are set wrong. I know if you are using Windows Media Player if you go to View > Enhancements then click Show Enhancements you can browse through them until you find the audio controls. Just set them to default (Click "Reset")
If its not either of those maybe you have more than one set of speaker ports in your computer. Try the other ones if you do.
I hope that helps. Good luck :)
Follow me: @MattRichBedard

BoTTleKid

« Reply #2 on: Sep 29, 2007, 06:43 PM »
I've not touched equalization anywhere so that wouldn't be it. Weirdest thing is it only happens with certain songs. And I put one of the songs in my music creation software and played it and it still popped in the exact same spots... Some songs play through fine... :\ I'll check if there's another port and see if that helps, thanks for the tip ! :)
-

Fishyneil

• Doritos commercial
« Reply #3 on: Sep 29, 2007, 06:46 PM »
If it happens in the same spot all the time then it's not your speakers or your sound card. It's like having a skip on a record. You can play it on any turntable but it will still annoy you by skipping (unless you tape a penny on top of the stylus ;) )
Fishy
"So why would you care
To get out of this place
You and me and all our friends
Such a happy human race"

TPB FAQ's... http://www.trailerparkboys.org/forums/index.php?topic=6806.0

BoTTleKid

« Reply #4 on: Sep 29, 2007, 06:48 PM »
But these are songs that I've played before and they didn't skip...  :( they just started skipping since I moved. Most DO pop but there are a few that don't, and those that do pop in the same spots all the time...
-

Fishyneil

• Doritos commercial
« Reply #5 on: Sep 29, 2007, 06:50 PM »
May be lost little bits of data. It can happen without fucking over the whole song. You never mentioned what media the songs were on...CD, file, MP3 player etc.
Fishy
"So why would you care
To get out of this place
Such a happy human race"

BoTTleKid

« Reply #6 on: Sep 29, 2007, 06:54 PM »
Sorry, they're MP3s. I'm playing them off windows media but the same pop occurs on itunes... they could have lost bits of data when i moved you think?
-

Refuckulator

• Matt's Design Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: Sep 29, 2007, 06:57 PM »
Re-download the song and see what happens. Fishy may have cracked the code.
Follow me: @MattRichBedard

Fishyneil

• Doritos commercial
« Reply #8 on: Sep 29, 2007, 06:57 PM »
Bingo  :bubs:
Fishy
"So why would you care
To get out of this place
Such a happy human race"

BoTTleKid

« Reply #9 on: Sep 29, 2007, 08:25 PM »
I have no idea what's going on, but thanks for the tips. I downloaded another version and there was a pop in the same spot and now i'm beginning to wonder if it was always there and i just never noticed...... it's kind of obvious though. I dunno. if one of you want to try: download "Haligh, Haligh, A Lie, Haligh" by Bright Eyes. See if there is a pop in the beginning of the first verse when he says, "The phone". The pop should be on the "phone" part.... :\
-

jakemaster1390

« Reply #10 on: Oct 01, 2007, 12:13 PM »
I Know. I have the same problem. I think you just didn't notce it before because I know I have many sets of different headphones and depending on the quality of the headphone, I notice little pops. These pops come from the original recording and The dollar store or cheap ass speakers you never notice it but once you get the high quality speakers, you hear more of these details.

Oh and another thing is you could be just used to the song because one time I listened to one of my favourite songs with a good set of headphones on backwards and one point of the song I began to feel sick. Your ears get used to hte sound and with the changing of the output, you begin to notice different things in the songs.
"Dope, Dope Dopity, fuckin' Dope, Dope"- Ricky

"Fuck this court, fuck Jim Layhey, fuck Randy, fuck those two idiot cops right there, fuck suit dummies, as a matter of fact fuck legal aid, fuck Danny and Terry's Buffalo Chicken wings, fuck all the old wood in here, fuck the moon, fuck corn on the cob, fuck squirrels, fuck me, fuck you, fuck everything."-Ricky

"It wasn't me, It was the Liquor"-Layhey

BoTTleKid

« Reply #11 on: Oct 05, 2007, 10:56 PM »
Just had some music playing off itunes and it definitely occurs with most songs, some quite bad, and it's not something i just never noticed before, it's a problem that has arisen seemingly from moving... i downloaded that one track and it pops in the same spot, but other songs (even ones playing off cds) crack and pop. I have no idea what's going on.....
-

tellkyle

« Reply #12 on: Oct 05, 2007, 11:09 PM »
I found that if I don't have my sound settings with the microphone checked to "mute" (even with no mic plugged in)  i get a tiny bit of hiss in playback at moderate volume.  its worth a try to see if it makes any difference.
"Marijuana is the flame, heroin is the fuse, LSD is the bomb."
--Sgt. Joe Friday

'cuz both black and white are smokin' crack tonight  -- tupac amaru shakur

BoTTleKid

« Reply #13 on: Oct 07, 2007, 07:50 PM »
I found that if I don't have my sound settings with the microphone checked to "mute" (even with no mic plugged in)  i get a tiny bit of hiss in playback at moderate volume.  its worth a try to see if it makes any difference.

Good point, but I don't have my mic option enabled. :( Any other ideas? I might try to downgrade the drivers, but they were fine before I moved... Sheesh, seems this computer hates my new apartment.
-

Drunk_As_Fuck

« Reply #14 on: Oct 07, 2007, 07:56 PM »
Have you tried "wiggling" the speaker input jack where it goes into your soundcard?  It is possible that by simply disconnecting and reconnecting your speakers either the female jack receptacle on the board has come loose and has an intermittant or the same thing could have happened to the male end of the cable.  If you get the same problem happening when you "wiggle" the speaker jack when plugged in you'll know you have either a cable problem or a problem with where the male jack pins contact the board.

walterx2

« Reply #15 on: Oct 07, 2007, 09:35 PM »
Hey Kris, I'm surprised that you haven't kicked that fucking thing yet.

It looks like you have some bad vibes in that apt. What type of soundcard are you running?

If after trying out DAF's suggestion the problem continues, here are a few other suggestions.

99 times out of a 100, clicking & popping & skipping etc is caused by bad soundcard drivers, or IRQ conflicts where the soundcard is sharing the same Interrupt Request as another conflicting item of hardware, such as the videocard or internet/network adapter. (LAST WEEKS PROBLEM!)

If you just can't get rid of the crackling, try moving your soundcard to another slot, as far away as possible from other devices. I would put it in the last slot at the bottom of the available slots .

Check for resource conflicts. If resource conflicts are present, try resolving them by assigning different resources / IRQs / DMA channels to each piece of hardware. Check Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager for existing conflicts. Shared resources, such as IRQs, usually don't hurt in conjunction with modern hardware, but generally, it's better if each device that requires an IRQ, has its own, dedicated IRQ.

If your soundcard shares an IRQ with another device (e.g. networking adaptor), try resolving it by assigning different IRQs to each device. If Windows does not allow you to change IRQs, then you will either have to reserve the IRQ in your BIOS setup, or try move one of the cards that share an IRQ with eachother into another slot.

This might help you out some if necessary, if you have any questions let me know.

http://www.helpwithpcs.com/upgrading/change-irq-settings.htm
« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2007, 09:40 PM by walterx2 »
"There’s class warfare, all right, but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning."

—Warren Buffett

BoTTleKid

« Reply #16 on: Oct 13, 2007, 11:40 AM »
thanks again walter  :) i'll try these out.
yeah, i'm surprised i haven't kicked it either. but i guess if i didn't have a problem to solve i wouldn't have a whole lot to do on my PC except for game. LOL

ETA: This is what I find in my IRQ settings:

I don't see any mention of my sound card.
Do you? Is it the entry that says about HD Audio? I thought it was going to mention my soundcard somewhere (SoundMAX).
Also look at the bottom, there are two 21's, two 22's, and two 23s... should I be giving them all separate numbers?
And how come the second 22 and the first 23 (serial ATA controllers) are the same thing? Is that normal?
-

BoTTleKid

« Reply #17 on: Oct 17, 2007, 03:45 PM »
eh eh? :)
-

stonemaster

« Reply #18 on: Oct 17, 2007, 08:02 PM »
did you move into older house, have you tried different outlet, grounding issues can cause all sorts of problems, I ve seen electricians really rig up some crap, even in newer houses,having a minor issue myself with my monitor, just an idea, if you know someone with a decent generator the try power through that instead ,maybe, maybe not.