Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: Smoking on TPB - Real?  (Read 52211 times)

jabaro

• Polyhedron Learning Media, Inc.
Smoking on TPB - Real?
« on: Aug 22, 2007, 06:55 PM »
I just saw a "making of" for the new A&E series Mad Men, where virtually every character smokes.  They said everyone in the cast was required to smoke herbal cigarettes, they have their choice of flavors.  I was just wondering if Ricky and others' smokes were props, like the hash and fake-looking plastic weed plants.  Or are they the real thing.  Anybody know?

John

Jdub

Re: Smoking on TPB - Real?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 22, 2007, 07:01 PM »
Ricky's smokes are real.  Rob Wells does smoke in real life.  I can't say what they do for the joints/bongs etc. on the set.  :)

Refuckulator

• Matt's Design Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: Aug 22, 2007, 07:06 PM »
There is no way they'd buy extra expensive fancy set movie smokes for a show like TPB when they all smoke anyway.

I would guess that at least once there was real weed used on set. There just has to have been. Its TPB for fack sakes!
Follow me: @MattRichBedard

Jdub

« Reply #3 on: Aug 22, 2007, 07:11 PM »
I would guess that at least once there was real weed used on set. There just has to have been. Its TPB for fack sakes!

I'm with you there Refuck...I think it was real at one point.  :D :D

Lucy Decoutere

« Reply #4 on: Aug 23, 2007, 02:40 AM »
most of the smoke is from cig'rits, unless i am smoking them. i am not a smoker, think it is nasty as shit, so i rock them herbal ones.

StoneChimes

« Reply #5 on: Aug 23, 2007, 02:42 AM »
most of the smoke is from cig'rits, unless i am smoking them. i am not a smoker, think it is nasty as shit, so i rock them herbal ones.

The ones I've had.. of the herbal cigarettes.. are truly awful. I'm surprised you're not gagging through all your scenes.
“It’s funny that pirates were always going around searching for treasure, and they never realized that the real treasure was the fond memories they were creating.”
—Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

bradx

« Reply #6 on: Aug 29, 2007, 07:15 PM »
the hash driveway was real.  the real fire that burned down rays trailer got those firefighters stoned as fuck!

jabaro

• Polyhedron Learning Media, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: Sep 02, 2007, 06:26 PM »
the hash driveway was real.  the real fire that burned down rays trailer got those firefighters stoned as fuck!

If that was real, it had to be the worst, grossest looking hash in the history of Western civilization.  Hash is light green not brown, and doesn't look remotely like the prop hash used on the show (i.e., a turd).  But just like with those really fake-looking plastic plants or the boys smoking live weed in the field, we as viewers must suspend our disbelief and play along.  It is after all TV.

bradx

« Reply #8 on: Sep 04, 2007, 08:44 PM »
if the hash wouldve been real those firefighters wouldve been stoned as fuck!  that much heat that close and the shit wouldve been up in smoke!

walterx2

« Reply #9 on: Sep 04, 2007, 09:27 PM »

Hash is light green not brown, and doesn't look remotely like the prop hash used on the show (i.e., a turd). 

Hash comes in many shades my friend. Back in the day, many kilos of brown afgani hash passed thru our fingers. They all had a cool stamp in the middle of the brick to show who produced the hash. Would love to get a hold of one now, probably cost a fortune now

I'm sure the driveway was fake though.
"There’s class warfare, all right, but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning."

—Warren Buffett

Refuckulator

« Reply #10 on: Sep 05, 2007, 10:21 PM »
In the season 5 credits they have a special thank you to East Coast Paving so unless they pave with hash, its fake :P

shake

« Reply #11 on: Sep 05, 2007, 11:37 PM »
Would it help if I pointed out that bradx was only kidding when he said the hash driveway was real.  This is only meant for people who aren't sure that he was kidding, for the rest of you carry on!

Fishyneil

• Doritos commercial
« Reply #12 on: Sep 05, 2007, 11:43 PM »
It was mentioned on a DVD how the art department created the hash driveway. Probably the season six DVD.
Fishy
"So why would you care
To get out of this place
You and me and all our friends
Such a happy human race"

TPB FAQ's... http://www.trailerparkboys.org/forums/index.php?topic=6806.0

Refuckulator

« Reply #13 on: Sep 06, 2007, 02:41 PM »
Oh I know it fake for sure. A real show out of Alliance Atlantis wouldn't be filming people with real hash on camera.
Would be kind of cool if East Coast Paving did start doing that for people under the table though... it'd be a good business.

jakemaster1390

« Reply #14 on: Sep 07, 2007, 05:13 PM »
I just saw a "making of" for the new A&E series Mad Men, where virtually every character smokes.  They said everyone in the cast was required to smoke herbal cigarettes, they have their choice of flavors.  I was just wondering if Ricky and others' smokes were props, like the hash and fake-looking plastic weed plants.  Or are they the real thing.  Anybody know?

John

I own every DVD and watched them too many times becasue even though I live in canada, I could never recieve the channel showcase was being broadcasted on. In numerous commentaries they say the stuff in the bong in tobacco but that can be a lie becasue the way it was said. For the weed plants after season four most of it is hemp plants in which in one of the season four commentaries and in the extras they say that they heard a rumor of real dope dealers stealing the hemp to cut the weed becasue they look the same. also they said they were worried about one of the people who were transporting the hemp back to nova scotia from new brunswick becasue they said it looked very similar. in the first season the weed plants seen were plants pulled out of the ground. In season two they admit in the commentary that the plants in the hydroponic containers that Julian couldn't get to grow without Ricky's help after he was fired from being a mall cop was admitted to as being just plants being pulled out of the ground. Actually in the DVD of that episode I happened to accidentally leave on the subtitles and that is the only episode besides the movie to have a subtitle and it says "Yeah Right, Mike" so that says to me that this is all fake.

Fisyneil is correct it is mentioned how they created the hash driveway but it was in the Season five Featurette "A Park Of Our own". The hash Driveway was made of sheep Manure and peat moss Moss and the chunks of hash in hand was made out of Cocoa, Corn Starch and Icing Sugar Hit with a blowtorch to make it hard and easy to handle.

Also in many of the commentaries Mike Clattenburg, Even the actors themselves have admitted to seeing Dope at parties but never doing it themselves.

And even in the Christmas special, they admit that the bags of weed are parsely and you can see the crew with bags of no name parsely making up these little bags.

Since the show has the theme of dope and with the suspension of Disbelief, and when being filmed out of the trailer park, they are always in character and in the Conky Episode Mike Smith, Mike Clattenburg, John Paul and Robb Wells make a point of making fun of John Dunsworth going around town acting Drunk and I believe that film of them making Blender hash, the recipe could have been real if somebody learned how to make it but in reality I know it is all just a show. But in their personal lives that may be different.
« Last Edit: Sep 07, 2007, 05:42 PM by jakemaster1390 »
"Dope, Dope Dopity, fuckin' Dope, Dope"- Ricky

"Fuck this court, fuck Jim Layhey, fuck Randy, fuck those two idiot cops right there, fuck suit dummies, as a matter of fact fuck legal aid, fuck Danny and Terry's Buffalo Chicken wings, fuck all the old wood in here, fuck the moon, fuck corn on the cob, fuck squirrels, fuck me, fuck you, fuck everything."-Ricky

"It wasn't me, It was the Liquor"-Layhey

Refuckulator

« Reply #15 on: Sep 08, 2007, 12:04 AM »
Also in many of the commentaries Mike Clattenburg, Even the actors themselves have admitted to seeing Dope at parties but never doing it themselves.

:lol:
I remember that. I thought it was hilarious!
I smelt some skunk at the premiere party... I'm not gunna say who was smoking it... :P

Fishyneil

• Doritos commercial
« Reply #16 on: Sep 08, 2007, 12:08 AM »
I shared a skinny cigarrette with a cast member last premiere party. Not saying who but I know at least one of the cast smokes in real life.
Fishy
"So why would you care
To get out of this place
You and me and all our friends
Such a happy human race"

TPB FAQ's... http://www.trailerparkboys.org/forums/index.php?topic=6806.0

Refuckulator

« Reply #17 on: Sep 08, 2007, 12:10 AM »
I watched a cast member smoke a J with some other members here.
All in attendance that night after the party know who! :lol:

bradx

« Reply #18 on: Sep 08, 2007, 12:29 AM »
i thought it was obvious i was joking.  i also thought it was obvious that the dvd commentary was not to be taken 100% seriously.  i respect the obsessiveness of those who would quote it as fact but really alot of what theyre saying in the commentary is jokes.

Refuckulator

« Reply #19 on: Sep 08, 2007, 12:35 AM »
I know :lol: That's the best thing about their commentaries. So unpredictable! I was really disappointed when there wasn't any for S6.

shake

« Reply #20 on: Sep 08, 2007, 01:11 AM »
You raise a lot of good points jake, as does bradx when he talks about jokes in the commentary.  I have to point out that this is...

^ the biggest commentary joke of all, Clattenburg's delivery was gold!  Of course this doesn't really address the smoking real or not issue but I felt it was interesting enough to point out :)

Oh yeah and for those who don't know yet Mrs. Clattenburg isn't really a cop in real life either.

bradx

« Reply #21 on: Sep 08, 2007, 01:20 AM »
i like the part where mike smith says they "tented in" a few square miles of trailer park to create the night scenes in season 4...  or during conky when robb wells says they actually found the gun in that swamp...  theres all kinds of good ones in there.

shake

« Reply #22 on: Sep 08, 2007, 01:28 AM »
And when viewing Trevor in his underwear during the Steve French episode Smith proclaims that Jackson walks around in his underwear on the set all the time.

Seriously for those of you have never experienced the TPB DVD extra scenes and commentary you don't know what you are missing, it is awesome comedy!

jakemaster1390

« Reply #23 on: Sep 11, 2007, 05:51 PM »
Oh Yeah. I realize that some of the stuff in the commentaries are just plain B%^^S&*(!!!!!!! I know season four is the least reliable for true facts. Naw I only quote what has been said many of times by different actors. I even can somewhat tell what is real or not because there are facts I find in the features that conflict. Naw I just watched the commentaries too many times and heard common themes and the ones that I quoted were some that I heard many of times and That were in the first season because I found that the first season was the one that had the least B*((.  Yeah I am one of those people who doesn't take everything seriously.
"Dope, Dope Dopity, fuckin' Dope, Dope"- Ricky

"Fuck this court, fuck Jim Layhey, fuck Randy, fuck those two idiot cops right there, fuck suit dummies, as a matter of fact fuck legal aid, fuck Danny and Terry's Buffalo Chicken wings, fuck all the old wood in here, fuck the moon, fuck corn on the cob, fuck squirrels, fuck me, fuck you, fuck everything."-Ricky

"It wasn't me, It was the Liquor"-Layhey

bradx

« Reply #24 on: Sep 11, 2007, 07:47 PM »
[youtube=425,350]zVpYbYI_H5g[/youtube]
i know its been posted before but this should make things plain to see...