Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: Best Pizza/Donair Joints in your Hometown!  (Read 13880 times)

shake

Re: Best Pizza/Donair Joints in your Hometown!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 26, 2006, 10:09 PM »
I am going to Ottawa this weekend which is home of huge Shawarma (which for all intent and purposes is a donair).  There's a place there called Maroosh (sp?) run by an insane guy they call the Shawarma Nazi...the Bazooka Chicken Sweet or the Bazooka Donair Spicy are top of the heap.

Ha ha Enrico check my post up a few from yours on page 1 about the Nazi, great donairs.  I can't agree that the shawarma is anything like a donair though, we have 17 different topics on donairs that explain the difference.

Enrico_Gruen

« Reply #26 on: Jan 26, 2006, 10:20 PM »
Alright alright...but we don't have anything in Ontario called a Donair...at least nothing as popular.  I remember when I live in Montreal there was something called Shish Taouk, but I was never a big fan.

shake

« Reply #27 on: Jan 26, 2006, 10:24 PM »
The Nazi's donair in Ottawa is as good as any I've ever had.  At least that I remember, I probably ate a few while I was drunk that I no longer remember.

Enrico_Gruen

« Reply #28 on: Jan 26, 2006, 10:25 PM »
There's a place down Laurier that I used to eat at when I was working at the NAC...they were almost as good as the nazis, but much bigger...I wish I could remember what it was called....

shake

« Reply #29 on: Jan 26, 2006, 10:28 PM »
Doesn't ring a bell, sorry.

LdyLunatic

« Reply #30 on: Jan 27, 2006, 12:18 AM »
OMG i miss pizza soooooo much ...the hubby is lactose intolerant and we don't eat pizza  :shock:
« Last Edit: Jan 28, 2006, 03:03 PM by LdyLunatic »
Sorry about your attempted suicide....better luck next time!!!

Shit machine gun

« Reply #31 on: Jan 27, 2006, 07:24 AM »
There's a pizza shop in Brockville here that makes donairs and donair subs but their sauce sucks.  I get them to make it without any sauce then make some of my homemade thick sauce for the topping.

Someone link to the donair thread.
2009-2010 TPB FANTASY HOCKEY CHAMPION. 

"I can be bought. If they paid me enough, I'd work for the Klan." - Charles Barkley

I HATE Conky

"I hear chicken, cola fizz, mustard and relish, all coagulatin together, and french fries and onion rings, but you know what, I don't hear a heart, Motherfucker"

xhippie

« Reply #32 on: Jan 27, 2006, 07:34 AM »
excellent thread!! besides making my own dough(im a cook by trade)down here in new hampshire the best i had so far is a small independent place called besta one,really good crust is on the thinner side like i remeber as a kid!

SchoonerPixie

« Reply #33 on: Jan 27, 2006, 10:36 AM »
I've had shwarma's in Ottawa.. right across the street from Ottawa U! They were awesome, but I had garlic sauce on mine! Wished I could have on right now!  :lol:
Schooner Pixie

Four Eyes

« Reply #34 on: Jan 28, 2006, 01:45 PM »
Never had a donair until our recent trip to Halifax. There's a corner near the hotel we were staying at (Graffton and ???) that has a donair place on three of the four corners (location, location, location!!!). On the other corner stands a church who I hear may be getting into the game also  :lol:.

King of Donair was the best of the two that I tried and the staff was much friendlier. Very tasty.

Dear Fellow Poster,
Please fuck off at your earliest possible convenience.
Thanking you in advance,
Four Eyes

Fishyneil

• Doritos commercial
« Reply #35 on: Feb 07, 2006, 04:51 PM »
Thanks to Shake, I had the best pizza in Ottawa. Took the family out to Colonnade's on Metclafe this past Saturday. I had the meat lovers personal sized pizza...heaven on a plate. Everyone agreed that it was superb pizza =P~ I didn't get to the donair place he recommended but that is the next on my list.
Thanks Shake :D
Fishy
"So why would you care
To get out of this place
You and me and all our friends
Such a happy human race"

TPB FAQ's... http://www.trailerparkboys.org/forums/index.php?topic=6806.0

shake

« Reply #36 on: Feb 07, 2006, 05:07 PM »
Glad you liked it Fishy.

4bz

• Rebel Reviewer Dot Com
« Reply #37 on: Feb 08, 2006, 08:03 AM »
where I live now is nothing short of PATHETIC for pizza AND donairs... I don't even think they know what a fuckin donair IS here!

when I lived in Edmonton there was a donair place downtown called Mr. Donair I think.. THAT was the best one I ever had

Rebel Reviewer Dot Com

Enrico_Gruen

« Reply #38 on: Feb 08, 2006, 05:20 PM »
I'd forgetten about that place, it's been so long since I lived in Ottawa.  Their pizza is amazing.  In fact, I would rate it in the top 5 pizza I've ever had.

shake

« Reply #39 on: Feb 08, 2006, 07:39 PM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again but the best pizza I ever tasted is in my real hometown of Sydney Nova Scotia.  Almost any pizza place in Sydney makes great pizza, mainly because what I think is the best pepperoni in the world, Horyl's is made in Cape Breton. That is why I like Colonnade, it reminds of the pizza I could get there.  The Colonnade pepperoni isn't as good as Horyl's but I least you get a portion, and there is lots of cheese.  That is what I don't like about most pizza chains they are pretty cheap with the pepperoni and cheese.

PepperoniANDCigarettes

« Reply #40 on: Feb 13, 2006, 02:00 PM »
I have to agree that Halifax has the Best donairs, there fucking awesome.
Ive had donair on the west coast and they arent nearly as good as the donairs on the east coast.
K.O.D Is the best donair place, in my opinion.
Ricky:"Now helix, thats a real concert!: Gimme an R-O-C-K, then the crowd yells ROCK really loud."
Bubbles:"Im not givin' anybody an R"
Ricky:Rush just dosent do stuff like that, they write about stuff like how trees are talking to each other, or how each side of your brain works."
Bubbles: Gimme a fuckin' R..."

Ricky(Talking about Alex Leifson):" This man is drunk as fuck, He's High, He's a Male prostitute..."

puddles

« Reply #41 on: Feb 14, 2006, 06:26 PM »
Annapolie Pizza & Donairs in Cole Harbour (home of the TPB!).  Now, that being said..I have no idea what their fav would be.  There are alot of places in CH now...Basha, Jackies on Caldwell Road....  I don't get home that often, so when I am there, I stick to good ol' Annapolie on Cole Harbour Road.

Pizza..hmm..hard one.  I would say Annapolie as well, but where I live now, near Fredericton..I would have to say Luna Pizza in Oromocto, NB.  They put on slices of bacon..not crumbly shit...but long slices of real bacon..not the imitation crap.  Now, again...I would like to try New England Pizza on the north side of Fredericton..they had this commercial where they stuff the crust with cream cheese!  I never heard of that before...*Homer Simpson druel*....looks appealing..I will let you know one of these days....
"Crisis doesn't create character, it reveals it" Denis Leary

Reveen The Impossiblist

« Reply #42 on: Mar 02, 2006, 04:08 PM »
I am going to Ottawa this weekend which is home of huge Shawarma (which for all intent and purposes is a donair).  There's a place there called Maroosh (sp?) run by an insane guy they call the Shawarma Nazi...the Bazooka Chicken Sweet or the Bazooka Donair Spicy are top of the heap.

Now concerning pizza...I am a bit of a pizza junkie.

I used to think Amato's was the best pizza in Toronto, but I realized that was only because I hadn't explored more of the city.  Not to say that Amato's isn't good, but Pizza Gigi is incredible, as is Pizzaiollo.  For great pizza you have to think smaller. Il Gatto Nero on College has amazing pizza, but you pay for it with shit service.  Southside Louie's (also on College) is almost as good, with good service.

This is for BB and EG, good Toronto boys, you should try to get a pizza from Vesuvio.  They have been around forever and have won the blue ribbon for best pizza in Toronto.  They are located in the Junction, on Dundas between Keele and Quebec Avenue - definitely worth the Pepsi challenge!
Brandt: You never went to college...

The Dude: Oh, no I did, but I spent most of my time occupying various administration buildings... smoking a lot of thai stick... breaking into the ROTC... and bowling. To tell you the truth Brandt, I don't remember most of it.

hashhockey69

« Reply #43 on: Mar 07, 2006, 10:25 PM »
I live in a small town i did not know what a "donnair" was befor i watched TPB season 4, i worked at "gorges pizza" now we got a sub shop in their too, its called " Captain Subs" pretty good donair subs that all i take lol.

Thx, HH69

Enrico_Gruen

« Reply #44 on: Mar 29, 2006, 01:03 PM »

This is for BB and EG, good Toronto boys, you should try to get a pizza from Vesuvio.  They have been around forever and have won the blue ribbon for best pizza in Toronto.  They are located in the Junction, on Dundas between Keele and Quebec Avenue - definitely worth the Pepsi challenge!
[/quote]

Oooh...I will look them up.  I am always in the mood for a new pizza experience.

bigbenjamin

« Reply #45 on: Mar 29, 2006, 01:16 PM »
Thanks for the tip Josh, I'm always on the look-out for that king of foods, the well dressed pizza  :perv1:! Over on Spadina, near the U of T, there are two great pizzarias - Papa Ceo's and Coras - they compete with each other and have pizzas named after famous celebrities - wonder if the would make a "Bubbles"?

:D Cheers!
« Last Edit: Mar 29, 2006, 01:18 PM by bigbenjamin »

Enrico_Gruen

« Reply #46 on: Mar 29, 2006, 01:25 PM »
I really like Papa Ceo, but was never a fan of Cora's...or is it the other way around.  Pizzaiolo is pretty good too.

Julians_Wife

« Reply #47 on: Mar 30, 2006, 03:45 PM »
allright being a full blooded Italian I am probably the pickiest one of the bunch when it comes to pizza lol (trust me if you've ever ate pizza in Italy ........ it's really hard not to be picky afterwards lol) THE best places I've ate pizza are in Sault Ste Marie that place is chock full of Italians right off the boat lol ..... i've got lots of relatives there, so been to many places LOL (and I'm sure Cat-dog will attest that Thunder Bay is crawling with them too lol) ...... Service Grill, Blue Boy, Auroras,  and  ....... if you're looking for good quick pasta meal .... Mike's Lunch downtown on Queen St (it's a little whole in the wall rest) but I assure you the food is completely authentic and tastes unbelievable, everything is homemade right down to the buns and I swear to god when I was a young lass, I would go in there and eat and eat to my hearts content and they spolied me rotten. However don't go there right at lunch time as they cater to almost all the local businesses and there is always a HUGE lineup. (There are two of them ... this one is right near the courthouse and is a little white rest with red trim).

If you want to go a little more upscale and don't mind paying good money for a really fine Italian meal then I recommend Giovanni's and try the Gnocchi with roasted chicken (it's absolutely amazing). oh now I'm feeling homesick ..... need some good Italian food lol.

The Gondola Restaurant in Winterpeg makes very good pizza too a little bit pricy, but it's very authentic.
The Smugglers Inn .... Calgary if you're looking for some fine dining - they have Steak Neptune there which is to die for (it's crab meat mixed with cream cheese topping) on top of a steak YUM!

And there's probably alot more I could name lol but I'd be here all day since I've been everywhere in Canada as far as Ottawa, next travel time I'm coming down to meet some of you crazy East Coasters LOL and drink some neufie screech and kiss the cod if I have to LOL

SgtMeowsteen

• My Space site
« Reply #48 on: Apr 01, 2006, 12:21 AM »
Well Julians_wife......rest assurred you would enjoy my joint that I found in Phoenix.... "Our Gang Cafe"

Maddon' do they have a Linguini & Clams dish there !

If you came to Rochester NY (hometown) I would have to say Mr Dominick's (right by Lake Ontario)               They have Zuppa di Clams. DYING over here !!! :drooling:

Atmosphere is everything to me when I try out a new joint.

You might be sexy Julian....but you can't teach me anything about liquor....
-Fackin Lahey

T-Knuckles

« Reply #49 on: Apr 26, 2006, 12:00 AM »
I just had my first Donair today in London, ON.  The sauce was a little sweet but the meat was great.  Find myself craving another.
Donny: 10 FUCKING DOLLARS... A MONTH!!