Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: Movies...  (Read 168622 times)

bigbenjamin

Movies...
« Reply #50 on: Nov 08, 2004, 01:15 AM »
Saw "Vera Drake" last night.

I give it 5 stars and 10 hankies. Mike Leigh is one of the best directors living. If you saw "High Hopes" or "Secrets And Lies", you know you are going to become deeply involved in the lives of some very "real" people. Vera is a saintly woman who helps young ladies who find themselves in need of a "miscarriage" in 1950s London, England. Then the blue meanies get hold of poor Vera. This is a FILM!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0383694/

SgtMeowsteen

• My Space site
Movies...
« Reply #51 on: Nov 08, 2004, 11:47 PM »
A Bronx Tale............

The story, written by Chazz Palminteri, is semi-autobiographical. His real name is Calogero Lorenzo Palminteri.

Dedicated to Robert De Niro's father, Robert De Niro Sr., who died in 1993.
You might be sexy Julian....but you can't teach me anything about liquor....
-Fackin Lahey

SgtMeowsteen

• My Space site
Movies...
« Reply #52 on: Nov 08, 2004, 11:51 PM »
On to another movie...How 'bout "Bronx Tale" with Bobby Deniro, & Chaz Palmenteri (I think that's how you spell it?)
That was a good one!

-K roc

Oh yeah, beautiful movie. Chaz wrote the screenplay to that movie. It was his debut really. I love Mr. P. My favorite part is when he started putting people in the closet when he felt they were jinxing him. :D

Anyone seen the Incredibles??? Great movie to take the kids to. You end up laughing at the same stuff :lol: Alot of cool action for the family.

I've also noticed that everytime Gosford Park is on, I'm glued.  :shock:
          " I haven't a snobbish bone in my body. "
-Fackin Lahey

bigbenjamin

Movies...
« Reply #53 on: Nov 09, 2004, 12:07 AM »
Quote from: cat-dog
Just saw "Elephant" tonight, by director Gus Van Sant http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0363589/ (Good Will Hunting, Finding Forrester) - What a great movie.. intense highschool drama that mimics Columbine in a way. It won Best Film, and Best Director at Cannes, truely artistic, great movie.

Okay, after reading this review: http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20031107/REVIEWS/311070301/1023
I am determined to see "Elephant" very soon! Thanks.
(Don't miss seeing "Vera Drake" - also no easy or pre-digested explanation of why shitty things happen to innocent folks.)

Jaloopa

• http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/CTDSites.woa
Movies...
« Reply #54 on: Nov 09, 2004, 02:13 PM »
i'd like to lock myself in a room with johnny depp for about 2 weeks, poor bastard wouldn't know what hit him... heh heh.

the last movie i saw in theatres was 'ladder 49', which i actually found refreshing because of all the old fashioned familyish type values, and at the same time. pretty disturbing because my 'hubby' is a firefighter.

right now i don't know if i want to dress hubby up as johnny depp, or johnny depp up as a firefighter!
'i like children, but i don't think i could eat a whole one'

2StonedBirds

Movies...
« Reply #55 on: Nov 09, 2004, 06:16 PM »
David Spade voice

I liked Ladder 49 the first time I saw it, when it was called Backdraft.... :P

/David Spade voice
-Don't let me piss myself!!- `Ricky`

BoTTleKid

• http://kemicalimbalance.deviantart.com
Movies...
« Reply #56 on: Nov 09, 2004, 06:48 PM »
I didn't like "Elephant" either. I used to like just about every movie I saw, now I'm lucky if I like it.
"...he keeps stickin' a fuckin' gun in my face."
-

k_roc

Movies...
« Reply #57 on: Nov 10, 2004, 07:51 AM »
Yes BK sad but true movies are getting pretty predictable!!!
Now "The Usual Suspects" that was another awesome movie!!!
I met Kevin Pollack, & I was the biggest stumbling geek, I got him to autograph my copy of "Usual" & I was all "This is my favorite movie"
he was very sweet, & said "Yeah it's a really good"
Oh my God I get tongue tied when I meet anyone famous...
Anyone have any "Star Meetings" they can share???

BoTTleKid

Movies...
« Reply #58 on: Nov 14, 2004, 11:22 AM »
I saw "The Incredibles" on Friday night-well, most of it. It was pretty good. I don't generally watch Pixar movies but this was all right, I was glad that there was no extremely annoying 'bad guy' who terrorised the entire movie...
-

BoTTleKid

Movies...
« Reply #59 on: Nov 22, 2004, 11:04 AM »
I saw The Virgin Suicides on Saturday night. It seems to me that the new releases out right now are pretty pathetic. The good ones I've seen all ready, so now when I look for movies I'm in the older sections.

The Virgin Suicides I have heard a lot about. I was mostly intrigued because a band I like (Air) composed a lot of the music. In fact, yes, I admit, that's why I got it.

The story itself was quite good, about 5(I think) sisters who's mother keeps them cooped up in the house and protects them from a lot of things in life. This is what's meant by virgin in this case. Its a pretty depressing movie, about the decent into madness of an entire family. I'm not sure if I enjoyed it or not. Check it out and see what you think.
-

Witch-Ho

Movies...
« Reply #60 on: Nov 22, 2004, 11:15 AM »
I'm gonna step out (again) and give everyone a huge reccomendation to "Motorama".  Not only is it just fabulous, it features cameos from Flea (Red Hot Chilli Peppers bassist), Elvis Costello, and Elton John (I think so, but watch for him anyway it's fun... M_O_T_O_R_A_M_A
"I never could find th fahkin' R"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104922/

shake

Movies...
« Reply #61 on: Nov 22, 2004, 12:21 PM »
Quote from: BoTTleKid

The story itself was quite good, about 5(I think) sisters who's mother keeps them cooped up in the house and protects them from a lot of things in life. This is what's meant by virgin in this case. Its a pretty depressing movie, about the decent into madness of an entire family. I'm not sure if I enjoyed it or not. Check it out and see what you think.

I rented it back when it came out, from what I recall I think I liked it, but obviously it didn't make too great an impression on me.  I don't mind depressing movies, they don't necessarily make me depressed.

shake

Movies...
« Reply #62 on: Nov 22, 2004, 12:33 PM »
I saw The Motorcycle Diaries last week.  I found out when it started that it was in Spanish and had subtitles, but it turned out it wasn’t that much of a problem.  It is about Che Guevara and his friend traveling around South America and the way they filmed it gives you a good idea of what the area looks like.  It is a very interesting movie.

BoTTleKid

Movies...
« Reply #63 on: Dec 22, 2004, 10:13 PM »
Saw Polar Express tonight in Imax 3D. It's amazing. The storyline is so - so but the 3Dness is stunning, I really loved the movie.
-

BoTTleKid

Movies...
« Reply #64 on: Jan 24, 2005, 04:39 PM »
Recently I saw: Anchorman, and Gardenstate.

Gardenstate - I thought it sucked. I rented it because I heard it was good, and I was interested because it used music I like in it. Aside from the music I was pretty dissapointed. The characters were far from loveable, and the plot was fairly predictable. This movie might have been better ten years ago or to people who haven't ever seen a movie of its type before.

Anchorman - I never get Hollywood comedies, but for some reason I ended up watching it because my sister and her boyfriend had it. Will Ferrell is funny. It started off kind of dumb, I laughed at a few things and other things I kind of cringed. Then the more I thought about it, the next day, I began to laugh. Then we watched it again and laughed our asses off a few times. It's a dumb, outrageous movie, but very entertaining up til the last fifteen minutes or so.
-

the beav

Movies...
« Reply #65 on: Jan 25, 2005, 02:14 AM »
Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle, Anchorman both semi Ha Ha.

Old School was on the other day though and I swear, that scene where Will Ferrell shoots himself in the jugular with the tranquilizer gun is the fuckin' funniest shit I've seen in a looooong time.  I cry every time I see it!  Pure Gold.
I may have alzheimer's...But at least I don't have alzheimer's

http://www.marijuana.org/GraphixFolder/graphix/%2521mbox.gif[/img]

BoTTleKid

Movies...
« Reply #66 on: Jan 28, 2005, 09:26 AM »
I might have to watch that one Beav. As much as I stay away from these comedy movies, I think Ferrell is worth watching! I loved him on SNL!
-

BoTTleKid

Movies...
« Reply #67 on: Feb 01, 2005, 11:09 AM »
Anyone else care to share what movies they've seen as of late?? LOL
I just need ideas.
-

k_roc

Movies...
« Reply #68 on: Feb 01, 2005, 02:01 PM »
If you're talking rentals, saw "troy" last night, was nodding off. last pic at the movie theatre, was "Alexander" another nodder!!!
k_roc+Epic Drama's=Nappy time

BoTTleKid

Movies...
« Reply #69 on: Feb 01, 2005, 02:11 PM »
Troy was no good? Too bad, I was thinking about seeing that. Oh well, probably still will. A lot of people hate my favourite movies so you never know.
I always nod off, even if the movie is really good. LOL. Fuck, I was nodding off in the theatre on the second Lord Of The Rings movie. I went to see it a second time though to make up for the missed parts. hehe!
-

shake

Movies...
« Reply #70 on: Feb 01, 2005, 02:18 PM »
I was over at someone's place the other day.  They were watching The Last Samurai, not a movie I thought I would rent on my own.  Anyway I was pleasantly surprised.

bigbenjamin

Movies...
« Reply #71 on: Feb 01, 2005, 02:58 PM »
Yeah Shake, Last Samurai is a surprisingly engaging film based on fact. Recently I saw "In The Realms Of The Unreal" and "Miliion Dollar Baby". The former is a no-budget film about an elderly man who dies in a rooming house in Chicage. His Japanese-American landlady discovers that his room is full of the most amazing art work and a 15,000 page novel. She presrves the room as a sort of shrine for 30 years - art historian and scholars begin writing about it - and now we have this truly strange and amazing interior life of a hermit made into pop/folk art. Try it, you might like it. The later everyone knows about. A very bleak, tight, smart film that feels like a Nelson Algren story from the dirty thirties - a no cop-out ending makes this film a 5 star main event, a real fackin knock out :!:  Thems da films i seen most recently. Cheers!

BoTTleKid

Movies...
« Reply #72 on: Feb 01, 2005, 03:23 PM »
In The Realms Of The Unreal sounds intriguing. It sounds to me, like a movie I might really enjoy.
-

BoTTleKid

Movies...
« Reply #73 on: Feb 10, 2005, 10:09 PM »
Mmkay... I watched, "Open Water" last night. This is the movie I'm sure you heard about, based on actual events, featuring an American couple that were/are left behind on a scuba diving expedition when they are mistakenly and wrongly accounted for on the boat. Thinking they have everyone, the boat leaves. The couple, busy scuba diving, do not notice. They rise from the ocean to find the boat is gone. Okay, no big deal. Stay calm. There are two boats on the horizon, perhaps they have drifted. But no, there is a marker on some coral our "hero" Daniel has left to indicate where they are, and when our "heroine" checks for it so she can feel better, she brings her head back up and says "I don't see this marker." Okay, so it's gone. Okay, so the couple have somehow managed to get themselves not only left behind, but also stuck in a current that they didn’t know they're in and won't be able to fight against. So they drift around for a while. And then they see a fin. Oh, the terror begins.
Meanwhile, the scuba boat returns to a dock and everyone gets off the boat, still not having noticed two people are missing.
Daniel explains, "This is more common than you think," to his anxiety-stricken wife, who is screaming because something is burning her foot. Jellyfish. So they get out of there, naturally, only to find more (or the same) sharks.
Anyway, the bulk of the movie is really suspenseful, and although our characters do very little aside from bicker, declare their love, and hug each other tight as sharks circle, taking bites every so often, the movie was... well, good! I liked it. I was sitting there wide-eyed and interested the entire time.
Night comes. The screen is black, but there is a thunder and lightning storm, so the screen flashes every so often. That's convenient for us viewers, because we can see their absolutely terrified faces as fins slice through the water all about them.
Since the movie was filmed with real sharks, it adds to the suspense. The movie also has a sort of documentary feeling, which isn’t noticeable so much in the water but very noticeable at the beginning.
The beginning is a bit lame. I think they must have chosen actors who can only act like they are in the middle of the ocean and sharks are thinking about eating them, but a simple telephone conversation is a challenge to portray realistically.
Anyway, I don’t want to give away the ending, but if you were thinking about seeing it, give it a chance. My sister did not like it, because it disturbed her. Although it was disturbing, I was able to enjoy my time, and afterwards felt suitably like I would never swim in the sea again. :-)
-

SgtMeowsteen

• My Space site
Movies...
« Reply #74 on: Feb 10, 2005, 11:30 PM »
Quote from: BoTTleKid
Anyone else care to share what movies they've seen as of late?? LOL
I just need ideas.

I FINALLY saw Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind BK. It lived up to your high thumbs up. Two parts that really were an arrow thru my heart were when Jim Carrey and Kate Winslett were lying on the frozen lake. And....the attention to detail when they were shown as kids with the old orangish New York car licence plate in the background.  (Memm-reeeezz)

Napoleon Dynamite. You either love it or hate it. I loved it!
-Fackin Lahey