Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: Movies...  (Read 168615 times)

bigbenjamin

Movies...
« Reply #150 on: Apr 09, 2005, 08:33 PM »
Best film I've seen recently is the indie documentary, "Born Into Brothels", about a photographer who tries to  save a small group of children in India from becoming prostitutes, as their mothers, grandmothers, et.al., have done. Much more lively and upbeat than you might expect. Winner of this year's Oscar for Best Feature Documentary.

Cheers!

Ghostdog

• Apple Seed
Movies...
« Reply #151 on: Apr 09, 2005, 08:50 PM »
I was a good husband last night and sat through "Bridget Jones 2" Oh my god! I had to wash my eyes for an hour afterwards to get the stench out:)
"Jack never even took one step of his own ....yet he traveled so far".

Letter's to my little boy Jack

Ghostdog

• Apple Seed
Movies...
« Reply #152 on: Apr 09, 2005, 08:51 PM »
I just finished watching "Dogtown and Z-Boys" again for like the 10th time on the documentry channell. I love that flick.
"Jack never even took one step of his own ....yet he traveled so far".

Letter's to my little boy Jack

RumNCoke

Movies...
« Reply #153 on: Apr 17, 2005, 03:16 PM »
Yesterday I watched "Hackers" for the first time. It was on YTV. It was ok. I couldn't imagine paying good money to see it. I can't believe that movie was made in 1995. The trouble with movies based on computer is that they become dated very quickly. When that happens that movie unintentionally becomes a comedy. Case in point: in one scene a bunch of computer nerds are in awe over their friend's new laptop with a 28.8 modem and 1,000,000 colours. Wow, a spectacle of graphics and sound.

the beav

Movies...
« Reply #154 on: Apr 17, 2005, 03:45 PM »
Quote from: Ghostdog
I just finished watching "Dogtown and Z-Boys" again for like the 10th time on the documentry channell. I love that flick.

Hey, me too.... :)

ROFLMAO about Bridget Jonses Diary 2.....drunkgirl rented that a couple weeks ago and I bailed.  I think Renee Zellweger is a hottie, but I just couldn't sit through a second one...seen the first though, and that was enough for me. :lol:
I may have alzheimer's...But at least I don't have alzheimer's

http://www.marijuana.org/GraphixFolder/graphix/%2521mbox.gif[/img]

jalapeno_man

Movies...
« Reply #155 on: Apr 17, 2005, 03:56 PM »
Yesterday I watched "Hackers" for the first time

A good one I saw recently is "Pirates of Silicon Valley" which is about Apple and Microsofts coming of power.  Crazy stuff man.  The way it is filmed is really cool too.  Im not a big fan of computer movies either but this one is really worth checking out.

My movie of all time is and will probably always be "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly".
"Oh no there Sam, its my fault.  I forgot to tell you I done come up bout 20 minutes ago and saw cats licken them hotdogs."

"Cats were licking these hot dogs?"

"Yup.  They were lickin the shit out of them."

RumNCoke

Movies...
« Reply #156 on: Apr 17, 2005, 04:16 PM »
Quote from: jalapeno_man
My movie of all time is and will probably always be "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly".

I guess you meant your favourite movie of all time. :wink: I also love "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly". I love all of Sergio Leone's spaghetti westerns. Leone at the helm plus Ennio Morricone composing the music is an awesome combination. I think "TG,TB a TU" has the best soundtrack of any western. I own the entire "Man With No Name" trilogy plus "Once Upon a Time in the West".

SgtMeowsteen

• My Space site
Movies...
« Reply #157 on: Apr 17, 2005, 10:08 PM »
A good one I saw recently is "Pirates of Silicon Valley"

When I first heard about that movie I said "Who gonna play Gates? The nerd from 16 candles?"

Well, Anthony Michael Hall it was. And he was spot on. I have seen pictures of Steve Jobs when he was younger and MAN ! he was killer good looking :o
So having Noah Wiley play him was a good choice 8)  :P

Great flick. I wish they would show it more often on TV.
You might be sexy Julian....but you can't teach me anything about liquor....
-Fackin Lahey

FunkyZebra

Movies...
« Reply #158 on: Apr 17, 2005, 11:24 PM »
I saw Lost in Translation recently, someof the people I saw it with didn't like it but I really really did. It was a different type of movie, I like how the two main characters were both married to other people and were attracted to eachother and did the right thing, that being nothing. I would watch the movie again
"I'm calling the cops then, right now, the real cops Randy. Not the crazy fake trailer park drunk fat guy crazy cops!"

shake

Movies...
« Reply #159 on: Apr 17, 2005, 11:27 PM »
The thing I remember about Lost in Translation is that they had to get the point across that the 2 main characters were bored living in Japan, and were drawn to each other to fight their boredom, to be with something more familiar.  I thought they did such a good job setting that mood that you couldn't help but be bored along with them.

FunkyZebra

Movies...
« Reply #160 on: Apr 17, 2005, 11:30 PM »
Quote from: shake
The thing I remember about Lost in Translation is that they had to get the point across that the 2 main characters were bored living in Japan, and were drawn to each other to fight their boredom, to be with something more familiar.  I thought they did such a good job setting that mood that you couldn't help but be bored along with them.

I can see your point, but I just don't need to be hyper entertained in movies, I appreciated the simple, blink and you miss it humor. Like when they are having drinks and that girl movie star goes people think I'm anorexic and the husband goes yes I thought you were and she answered thank you...funny stuff.
"I'm calling the cops then, right now, the real cops Randy. Not the crazy fake trailer park drunk fat guy crazy cops!"

Kosmo

Movies...
« Reply #161 on: Apr 18, 2005, 05:35 PM »
Quote from: SgtMeowsteen
A good one I saw recently is "Pirates of Silicon Valley"

When I first heard about that movie I said "Who gonna play Gates? The nerd from 16 candles?"

Well, Anthony Michael Hall it was. And he was spot on. I have seen pictures of Steve Jobs when he was younger and MAN ! he was killer good looking :o
So having Noah Wiley play him was a good choice 8)  :P

Great flick. I wish they would show it more often on TV.

It's funny you mention Anthony Michael Hall and 16 Candles. He was filming a scene for the upcoming season of "Dead Zone" in front of a church across the  Wall Centre in Vancouver. He was on a break and a friend and I thought it was him so I gave a quick shout out "Hey Mr 16 Candles"...Funny enough he looked up gave a quick smile and went back to work..lol

He looks nothing like his 80's days as he's all grown up now but he's pretty good in "The Dead Zone".

RumNCoke

Movies...
« Reply #162 on: Apr 19, 2005, 03:36 PM »
Last night I re-watched my copy of "Equilibrium" starring the new Batman, Christian Bale:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0238380/

I'm not surprised if you haven't heard of it. The movie is a mix between George Orwell's "1984" and The Matrix. The plot is not very original but it's still an entertaining movie.

GTPB

Movies...
« Reply #163 on: Apr 19, 2005, 04:24 PM »
The Harder They Come starring Jimmy Cliff

The film that put reggae on the map!
 I have the criterion collection released dvd.
Slightly burnt but still smoking.

bigbenjamin

Movies...
« Reply #164 on: Apr 19, 2005, 04:38 PM »
Quote from: GTPB
The Harder They Come starring Jimmy Cliff

The film that put reggae on the map!
 I have the criterion collection released dvd.

I am SO HAPPY yr back on the board, GTPB!!! Long time no see - you got a PM bro.

Harder They Come is great for sure, but did you see the Jamaican movie "Smile Orange" - wish I could find a copy, saw it on the big screen years ago. It is as hilarious as "Hard" is bleak and manic.

Welcome Back! Big Cheers!

GTPB

Movies...
« Reply #165 on: Apr 19, 2005, 04:56 PM »
Hey its great to be back. Had a job needing attending too. A kinda fishing expedition. I was getting some follows online, toothy fish are known to do this without committing it's a survival instinct. I found the perfect chum aka hemp seeds & they all sucked it up like no tomorrow.  That one fat fish than told the bigger fish who than told the little fishes next thing I knew I could have my way with the pond as they all swam around getting all dopey. I weeded out the real small ones that are on my pay no mind list. The others I left the hooks in just for when it's time to play again.  These fish are easily reckonized, after all, smelling another mans underwear for a few months has left them with brown spots on their noses.

So I'm back & thanks for the welcome. Shake, the Beav, Ben & all the other good folks on board.

GTPB

Movies...
« Reply #166 on: Apr 19, 2005, 06:52 PM »
Back to the topic

I love war movies especially WWII the big one. But I'll  stray if the movie is well done or has some historic value like the crapper "The Charge of the Light Brigade".

Some will be familiar with Zulu starring Michael Caine who gives us a stunning performance. He must be up there with Mickey Rooney in who's done the most movies in his lifetime.

Recently I picked up the prequel "Zulu Dawn" starring Burt Lancaster & Peter O'Toole. The film is not available on dvd & only on vhs through ebay. That's how I have it.

Not as polished as Zulu but epic in production,  it gives a stirring rendition of what happen in 1879 when the British forces where out numbered 16:1 by the 25,000 strong doped up Zulu warriors. A must see for the war buff.

Detriot Velvet Smooth

Movies...
« Reply #167 on: Apr 19, 2005, 10:49 PM »
GTB good to see you again.

I recently saw Super Troopers, really stupid but if you like Reno 911 you would enjoy the movie, they are similar.
I wanted a lady, not fuckin cory and trevor

bigbenjamin

Movies...
« Reply #168 on: Apr 19, 2005, 11:18 PM »
Seen "To Hell and Back" - with Audie Murphy? Great true WWII story stariing the real hero!
Audie Murphy was the most decorated U.S. soldier in World War II. Though he was only 21 years old at the end of the war, he had killed 240 German soldiers, been wounded three times, and had earned an amazing 33 awards and medals, including the Medal of Honor. After the war, Murphy appeared in more than 40 films, wrote poetry, and continued to suffer from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Check it out! Cheers!

GTPB

Movies...
« Reply #169 on: Apr 20, 2005, 08:16 AM »
Ben, I've watched it at the very least 3 times within the last year. I have a fairly large war vhs dvd collection.

DVS, I've not seen Reno 911 I'll look it up. New movies & music I have to say I'm slightly out of touch with. My daughter is starting to get into music now so I'll be hearing a lot more.

Canuckguy

Movies...
« Reply #170 on: Apr 20, 2005, 08:31 AM »
Deadwood is the best thing on tv right now besides Trailer Park Boys.  Its on HBO and superchan in canada.

FunkyZebra

Movies...
« Reply #171 on: Apr 20, 2005, 02:18 PM »
GTPB have you seen Band of Brothers? That may be a stuipd question because you have such a large war vhs/dvd collection, but it's my favoiurite war movie/mini series of all time.

I also think path's of glory is an excelent WWII movie, it's in black and white which I don't mind but some people can't stand black and white movies

GTPB

Movies...
« Reply #172 on: Apr 20, 2005, 04:43 PM »
Path's of Glory. 1957 Stanley Kubrick < Oh boy I don't recall this one & B&W movies I watch & enjoy them,  if I see it I'll pick it up. I rtecently watch some trench warfare documentary. Man what a way to fight a war.

Band of Brothers I have seen parts of the series & it looks well done & to my tastes.

Fire in the hole...

Detriot Velvet Smooth

Movies...
« Reply #173 on: Apr 20, 2005, 07:50 PM »
DVS, I've not seen Reno 911 I'll look it up. New movies & music I have to say I'm slightly out of touch with. My daughter is starting to get into music now so I'll be hearing a lot more.

It's a mockumentry that pariodes COPS IT's on the comedy network.
I wanted a lady, not fuckin cory and trevor

BoTTleKid

• http://kemicalimbalance.deviantart.com
Movies...
« Reply #174 on: Apr 20, 2005, 08:52 PM »
Quote from: Detriot Velvet Smooth

It's a mockumentry that pariodes COPS IT's on the comedy network.

REALLY? Because didn't TPB go to the Comedy Network before they went to Showcase, and the Comedy Network turned them down?
"...he keeps stickin' a fuckin' gun in my face."
-