Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: Movies...  (Read 168781 times)

shake

Movies...
« Reply #100 on: Feb 19, 2005, 08:54 AM »
Quote from: SgtMeowsteen
Right now on HBO comedy they are showing "A Mighty Wind"

Since alot of the casting in this movie comprise of old SCTV cast members I think it's definately worth renting OR "Best in Show" is even funnier.
Same "documentary goof" groove like Spinal Tap but the humor is as dry as sandpaper in the desert.

All great movies Sarge.  Another one in that series was "Waiting For Guffman".  Clattenburg named these movies as an influence.

BoTTleKid

• http://kemicalimbalance.deviantart.com
Movies...
« Reply #101 on: Feb 19, 2005, 09:47 AM »
Sarge - they use a lot of "Explosions in the Sky" songs in that football movie mentioned above... Friday Night Lights... that's the only reason I'd see that movie. LOL
"...he keeps stickin' a fuckin' gun in my face."
-

Tipsy McStagger

Movies...
« Reply #102 on: Feb 19, 2005, 10:09 AM »
Napoleon Dynamite...Rent it

"i ahve qit the org cuz ppl wont maid ther own bussin" - greenbasterd

SgtMeowsteen

• My Space site
Movies...
« Reply #103 on: Feb 19, 2005, 11:11 AM »
Quote from: Tipsy

I second that. Must See!
You might be sexy Julian....but you can't teach me anything about liquor....
-Fackin Lahey

purple_skwirrel

Movies...
« Reply #104 on: Feb 19, 2005, 12:28 PM »
Quote from: SgtMeowsteen
Quote from: Tipsy

I second that. Must See!

Alright, alright...it's currently running on PPV, so I might feel more inclined to see it (50 cents to a buck cheaper than renting from Blockbuster, plus I don't have to drive it back  :wink: )

BoTTleKid

Movies...
« Reply #105 on: Feb 24, 2005, 10:17 PM »
I've heard a lot about that movie. What's so special about it?
-

RumNCoke

Movies...
« Reply #106 on: Feb 25, 2005, 08:13 AM »
Has anyone here seen Ong Bak: The Thai Warrior? What did you think? I really want to see it!

BoTTleKid

Movies...
« Reply #107 on: Feb 27, 2005, 12:28 AM »
We started watching "Angels in America" tonight. It's a six hour long mini series that aired on HBO. It won tons of awards so I wanted to see it. Also has Meryl Streep in it, I think she's awesome.

We only watched the first couple hours tonight I think... we're on chapter 3. Started off a bit slow, but so far, so good. I think by the end I'm going to have really liked it. We'll see!
-

bigbenjamin

Movies...
« Reply #108 on: Feb 27, 2005, 02:07 AM »
Saw "Nobody Knows" (Dare mo shiranai)  early Saturday evening.  Hirokazu Koreeda is gaining a reputation on the art house circuit - saw his " After Life" (Wandafuru raifu) a couple of years ago , but IMHO the guy is a stiff - strong for about thirty minutes, and then , in both films he just holds the story in almost suspended animation - s-l-o-w, so fackin slow - with nothing new happening . . most reviewers loved both of these films - but I was fighting to stay awake.

The new film, Nobody Knows, is about four little kids in Tokyo who are abandoned by their mother. Trust me, hilarity does not ensue, nor does much of anything else . . i love Japanese culture, but this film had me yawning most of the time.  
The earlier film, Afterlife, was about preparing dead people for the repetitive nature of eternity - in other words - there is a warehouse dormintory full of very ordinary folk who are dead and waiting to be assigned the best moment of their life, to be repeated over and over for eternity - not half as interesting as it sounds.

The past few, well considered and chosen movies I've gone to see have been mostly disappointing - the only really wonderful film I've seen for a while is "Sideways" - Paul Giamatti is an amazing character actor - maybe you caught him in American Splendor (2003) as Harvey Pekar - Sideways had better win an Oscar :!:  See it if you haven't already.  Cheers!

BoTTleKid

Movies...
« Reply #109 on: Mar 04, 2005, 08:12 PM »
I saw Million Dollar Baby tonight. It was a really good film, I enjoyed it quite a bit, even though it was about boxing. It didn't follow the same boring sports movie plots...ie, shitty team, really good team, shitty team eventually beats the really good team and yay. It had a story seperate from all that BS and so I was pleasently suprised. I'd rent it though, as it seemed rather long, so you might want to pause and take a pee or grab some beers. :-)
-

FunkyZebra

Movies...
« Reply #110 on: Mar 04, 2005, 11:28 PM »
Quote from: RumNCoke
Has anyone here seen Ong Bak: The Thai Warrior? What did you think? I really want to see it!

I've seen Ong Bak, but I saw it before it was in theaters and so there were no english sub titles. It easily has the best action I've ever seen in a movie (it would have to be great for me to sit threw a whole movie not understanding a word) I'd say it's a mix of early Jackie chan and Van Dam with a sprinkle of bruce lee thrown in there.

I saw Hotel Rwanda last night. And it is the best movie I've seen in over a year, I've seen Sideway and the Aviator and while both of them are good they don't hold a candle to Hotel Rwanda. It's not a movie for the faint of heart I'd say. Not because it is overly violent but because it really makes you (us who live in North America) realize how little we did in the face of such horrible events.
"I'm calling the cops then, right now, the real cops Randy. Not the crazy fake trailer park drunk fat guy crazy cops!"

shake

Movies...
« Reply #111 on: Mar 07, 2005, 10:25 AM »
I saw a few movies in the past few days.  One was Ali G Indahouse The Movie.  Not only was it not funny, I hated almost every minute of it.  I saw the first season of his show and loved it so much I bought the DVD.  I can’t understand how the show could be so good and the movie so awful.

Second one was Troy.  I heard all the bad reviews but I have to say I really liked this movie.  I’m almost tempted to read the Iliad.  I’m probably in the vast minority on this but I thought it was much better than Gladiator and BraveHeart.

Also caught Old School on TV for the first time, I really liked that as well, some damn funny stuff in that movie.

purple_skwirrel

Movies...
« Reply #112 on: Mar 07, 2005, 10:45 AM »
Saw "Taxi" Last night.  If you want to laugh, it's good for that.  The hot chicks in the getaway car make it worthwhile just to watch the film to see them for most guys (and some girls).

On the DVD was a preview for Napolean Dynamite.  I didn't think my fiance'd want to ever see it, but after the preview, he wants too :)

Shit machine gun

Movies...
« Reply #113 on: Mar 07, 2005, 10:49 AM »
I wasted 2 hours of my life on I <3 Huckabees.  Fucking dumb as Bubbles would say.  Not that I didn't get that they were trying to make an "artsy" movie but holy fuck.

I did like Motorcycle Diaries however.  Saw that on the weekend too.

Napoleaon Dynamite was one of the best I've seen the past year.  But you gotta like that type of comedy.
2009-2010 TPB FANTASY HOCKEY CHAMPION. 

"I can be bought. If they paid me enough, I'd work for the Klan." - Charles Barkley

I HATE Conky

"I hear chicken, cola fizz, mustard and relish, all coagulatin together, and french fries and onion rings, but you know what, I don't hear a heart, Motherfucker"

BoTTleKid

Movies...
« Reply #114 on: Mar 07, 2005, 12:42 PM »
Quote from: shake
I saw a few movies in the past few days.  One was Ali G Indahouse The Movie.  Not only was it not funny, I hated almost every minute of it.  I saw the first season of his show and loved it so much I bought the DVD.  I can’t understand how the show could be so good and the movie so awful.

Second one was Troy.  I heard all the bad reviews but I have to say I really liked this movie.  I’m almost tempted to read the Iliad.  I’m probably in the vast minority on this but I thought it was much better than Gladiator and BraveHeart.

Also caught Old School on TV for the first time, I really liked that as well, some damn funny stuff in that movie.

Da Ali G Show is pretty funny! I'll keep that movie off my list unless I'm really desperate.

I've wanted to see Troy but been putting it off because of the bad reviews. I shouldn't listen to the masses like that, as often my favourite movies are the ones getting shit on.
-

SgtMeowsteen

• My Space site
Movies...
« Reply #115 on: Mar 07, 2005, 12:49 PM »
Quote from: shake
.  I’m almost tempted to read the Iliad.  I’m probably in the vast minority on this but I thought it was much better than Gladiator and BraveHeart.

The Iliad is a hard....but worthwhile read. I read it in High School and still have the book. My English teacher in 10th grade was greek and he thought I had "the heart of Pallas Athena"  So I read the book to see what he meant. I would give it try Shake if you liked "Troy".
You might be sexy Julian....but you can't teach me anything about liquor....
-Fackin Lahey

purple_skwirrel

Movies...
« Reply #116 on: Mar 08, 2005, 01:50 PM »
"HotRod the Movie" is supposedly really funny.

You can view the trailer at:

www.hotrodthemovie.tk (you need QuickTime)

It's not out yet, but I have seen "copies" on eBay, with the quote "If you like Trailer Park Boys you'll LOVE HotRod!" Tim Lawry, Trailer Park Boys fan

It's a Canadian production, so I thought I could try and give it a little push in here  :wink:

http://www.thewhig.com/webapp/sitepages/content.asp?contentid=100791&catname=Local+News

And if you're in Kingston on Friday, March 11th 2005:

HotRod on the Big Screen at
The Kingston Canadian Film Festival
The Screening Room
120 Princess Street (upstairs)
Midnight

JulianRocks

Movies...
« Reply #117 on: Mar 08, 2005, 02:57 PM »
Hey Shake! Just thought I would let you know that I seen Troy as well and I liked it! :wink:

shake

Movies...
« Reply #118 on: Mar 08, 2005, 03:06 PM »
Cool JR.

Sarge, I know I should read the Iliad, but I’m too lazy.  I am very interested in history, and to a lesser extent mythology, but it would take me forever to get through that book.  I did read a few blurbs here and there on the net though.

Perhaps you can email me a book report :)

Saucy Bastard

Movies...
« Reply #119 on: Mar 08, 2005, 04:15 PM »
I saw a making of Troy documentary last month and would see it for the battles alone! Apparently they put the actors through authentic ancient Greek style boot camp on location for a few weeks.
"Why not go out on a limb? That's where the fruit is." --Will Rogers
"Get off that limb , that's where all the nuts are!" --Mrs. Saucy

-Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice?

trailerchick

Movies...
« Reply #120 on: Mar 08, 2005, 08:20 PM »
Quote from: Shit machine gun
Napoleaon Dynamite was one of the best I've seen the past year.  But you gotta like that type of comedy.

just saw it last night...loved it!!!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0374900/quotes

also saw Friday Night Lights...which I believe Beav already mentioned....really liked it.I had no idea Highschool Football was so big!

cheers!

Napoleon Dynamite: Stay home and eat all the freakin' chips, Kip.
Kip: Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.

Detriot Velvet Smooth

Movies...
« Reply #121 on: Mar 08, 2005, 09:09 PM »
Highschool football is that big in the States. I play for the best High school team in toronto and weve had to take the TTC do games. We have shitty old bleachers and last couple years a mud feild.
I wanted a lady, not fuckin cory and trevor

FunkyZebra

Movies...
« Reply #122 on: Mar 10, 2005, 04:13 PM »
Best high school football team in T.O.? what team is that? Because there are so many different leagues and teir's you kinda have to win the metro bowl to be the best?
"I'm calling the cops then, right now, the real cops Randy. Not the crazy fake trailer park drunk fat guy crazy cops!"

purple_skwirrel

Movies...
« Reply #123 on: Mar 13, 2005, 06:54 PM »
Okay, I FINALLY saw Napolean Dynamite!

:-s

smokey

• http://www.torontomapleleafs.com
Movies...
« Reply #124 on: Mar 13, 2005, 08:21 PM »
my top 5 favourite movies of all time ( see them ) :

- Snatch
- Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels