Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: How do I put a password to protect my wireless router?  (Read 2784 times)

Fishyneil

• Doritos commercial
 I should know this but I don't.
My speed seems to have slowed down since I put in a wireless router. I suspect people are tapping into it and stealing my bandwith.
 It's a Lynksys router. Should I just go to their webpage and contact them or does anyone have a quick solution for me?
Fishy
"So why would you care
To get out of this place
You and me and all our friends
Such a happy human race"

TPB FAQ's... http://www.trailerparkboys.org/forums/index.php?topic=6806.0

Shit machine gun

Re: How do I put a password to protect my wireless router?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2007, 06:46 AM »
Do you have your manual?  I think there's an IP address you type into your explorer browser and that takes you into your router.  You can then edit your settings through it.  Chances are someone is stealing yours.  I have a wireless too but I have it hardwired and the wireless sharing turned off.
2009-2010 TPB FANTASY HOCKEY CHAMPION. 

"I can be bought. If they paid me enough, I'd work for the Klan." - Charles Barkley

I HATE Conky

"I hear chicken, cola fizz, mustard and relish, all coagulatin together, and french fries and onion rings, but you know what, I don't hear a heart, Motherfucker"

Drunk_As_Fuck

« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2007, 07:16 AM »
I just installed a linksys wireless router yesterday Fishy :).  Mine was really easy - it came with a CD that I put in the drive and it opened up a wizzard that guided me through the setup.  One step asked if I wanted to turn security on.  The next step asked which type of security I wanted to use and the next step asked me it input my code or key.

When you type in your security code / key make sure to write it down as you'll need to key it into your laptop when you try and connect to the router for the first time.  You will prol'y have to reset the router to do this.  There should be a really small button on the  back of the router that you'll need a paperclip or pen tip to reset as it's recessed.  Make sure you hold it for at least 10 seconds while the router powe is on to ensure rest.

If all else fails Fishy just give linksys a call ..... they're actually pretty good about support and they *shoud* be able to walk ya though it.  Hope that helps ya beat those damn bandwith pirates.  Don't ya just HATE people who do that Fishy ;).

Mitch Lahey

• NASA Marshall Space Flight Center
« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2007, 08:25 AM »
yes, try typing your LAN IP (192.168.1.x, or such) into your browser and that should bring up a configuration page. Good luck!
-Mitch Dolphin (I work for Cyrus now)

"Hey everybody, there's a shitcloud comin'! Run for your lives!" -Randy Quaid in Kingpin

SuzieQ

• Fabulous SuzieQ
« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2007, 08:27 AM »
My router came with the WEP code printed on its ass end.  Maybe yours has one too and its just shy about showing it.

Fishyneil

• Doritos commercial
« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2007, 01:47 PM »
Thanks guys, I seem to have fixed the problem. Went from 49kbps to about 2.2mbps.
Fishy
"So why would you care
To get out of this place
You and me and all our friends
Such a happy human race"

TPB FAQ's... http://www.trailerparkboys.org/forums/index.php?topic=6806.0

RangerF150

« Reply #6 on: Jun 15, 2007, 05:12 PM »
Set it not to broadcast the SSID ( which is the default), in addition to changing it to something other than the default SSID name.
It won't stop someone with Kismet or the like, but will stop "baby" wardrivers !
Be sure to use WAP and not WEP, although it's not that Mac friendly, but if your on a PC it's a doddle to setup.

WEP is now trivial to hack, and can be done in some minutes, it was "hard" to crack, took ages! About 20 minutes to an hour or so, depending, it was never secure from the start and is now nothing more than a joke !
Only use WAP, it's still pretty bullet proof.

By changing the default SSID ( Service Set IDentifier) it's harder to know what make wireless router it is, by not broadcasting the SSID, active sniffers like Net Stumbler will not see it.
Passive apps like Kismet will still see it, but at least if you change it from the default it wont show up as a "linksys" or whatever. Which is good.

It's still possible to find out the make using the MAC ( Machine Access Code ) address, which is broadcast, and on some routers you could possibly change this, however at this stage your have eliminated the vast majority of potential hackers as your more trouble than it's worth!!!

They will simply move on to the idiot with open WiFi next door.
Which, ironically is me ! Mine is wide open......

Don't matter how little you know, someone out there know's even less !