Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: Windows Vista  (Read 2065 times)

Cappy

• Location: Blue trailer on the corner........stay off my fackin' lawn!
Windows Vista
« on: Jan 31, 2007, 06:02 PM »
Anyone pick it up yet? What are the features? I've read about the media center and such but I already have that for XP. Is it worth upgrading? Come on techies.
You can't just give up on pulling up your pants!

trailerchick

Re: Windows Vista
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2007, 06:21 PM »
They had a segment on the news about it last night. It looked pretty cool but as with any Microsoft product the word is, it will be up to the consumer once again to work out the bugs. The had one guy install it,and he had problems with the 3-D pages. {Though they did look cool on the demo they showed}

They did mention that it consumes quite a bit of memory and requires a probable upgrade on your graphics card. So you have to factor that into the cost.

Saucy Bastard

« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2007, 06:41 PM »
I heard a "nerd" on CBC radio yesterday , answering Vista questions....

If you allready have all the applications that you like and use , installed as programs , then the bonus of having them bundled in with Vista OS , is mostly negated . As time progresses , more programs will be written for Vista , and with no backwards compatibility , then eventually we will all be using it (or switching to Mac's).....
"Why not go out on a limb? That's where the fruit is." --Will Rogers
"Get off that limb , that's where all the nuts are!" --Mrs. Saucy

-Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice?

RangerF150

« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2007, 03:20 PM »
I would not upgrade an existing computer to Vista , rather purchase one already running Vista.
You do need a chunky computer with at least a GIG of RAM, and a pretty fast chip, and a top end graphics card. But even if you do have all that you may have driver issues.

On the face of it , it does look like an improvement over XP, better search facility, nice graphics, supposed to be more secure!

Downside is the DRM ( Digital Rights Management ) that Vista comes preloaded with.
It's down to the ability ( assuming a HD player is present) to playing HD content. It's locked down real tight, so tight it's causing problems playing "normal" DVD's, reducing the quality.
Even it you don't have a HD player installed.
Part of the reason you need a fast computer is the constant checking back to M$ to check your computer is all legit and not doing any funny stuff to try circumvent the DRM.

I would imagine that it would be best for a quiet life to wait till the inevitable " Vista SP1" to arrive and sort out the glitchy bits. Including an easing of the DRM as people get pissed at the inability to play your DVD's properly.

Looks nice but !
:-)

Don't matter how little you know, someone out there know's even less !

Drunk_As_Fuck

« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2007, 03:49 PM »
I have  been told  by more than one "techie type" to stay miiiiiiiiiiiiles away from Vista if I can.  Resource pig with more accountability to MS than you'd really like.   I'll stick with XP MCE for now.

Refuckulator

• Matt's Design Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2007, 10:24 PM »
I have it and I love it!

Its a lot smoother and it does a good job and telling you when its loading.

Its going a bit slow for me at the moment but my guess is because I only have 512mb of RAM. I am most likely going to upgrade within the next 2 weeks.

I only had driver problems with my sound card but after about 8 hours of work I found a modded driver that worked with my Creative SB Live! sound card.

I have a pretty high end video card and I can view most of the features on here except for the Windows DVD Maker but that's what Nero is for eh?

I haven't been able to figure out the 3-D feature yet but even if I did I might not be able to use it.

There are tons of cool enw things you can do with Vista and it looks 10x better than XP. One shitty part of Vista is all the god damn Administrator verifications when you are trying to install programs.
Follow me: @MattRichBedard