Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: PSP memory stick question  (Read 2860 times)

trailerchick

PSP memory stick question
« on: Dec 30, 2006, 11:39 AM »
So,I bought the child a PSP for X-mas and of course forgot about the memory stick.
My question is : do I have to buy the "Sony " memory stick or is there a cheaper version?

I phoned Future shop and was told that the PSP would only support the Sony memory stick.

I wasn't convinced he was right as I had read on a PSP forum that you can use the cheaper version put out by Sandisk.

So I called Future shop back and another guy told me I could use the cheaper version.

I am very confused......

Anyone with a PSP know?

Drunk_As_Fuck

Re: PSP memory stick question
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2006, 11:47 AM »
Well, I use Sony Memory Stick Pro's in my Sony digicam.  I have 2 Sony 2 GB cards that are the same as the ones for PSP's AND two Sandisk 2 GB sticks that work just fine in my camera as well.  I went through the exact same thing you did with Sony vs other brands and the other brands work fine for me. While it the same stick it isn't in a PSP application but I don't see why they wouldn't work.

That said, lots of places have great deals on Sony memory now and you can probl'y find it for the same price as other memory.  Best of luck getting your "memory" issues sorted out :).

trailerchick

« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2006, 11:59 AM »
Thanksk DAF.

The reason I wondered about the Sandisk one, is Future shop seems to have a sale on them right now....

One more question:

The boy wants a 2G,but due to X-mas overload I'm trying to save a little $$$...can we get away with just the 1G for now? Or should I buck up and go for the extra G?

Drunk_As_Fuck

« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2006, 12:08 PM »
Sorry TC - maybe a PSP'r can help ya on that one.  The only reason I went with 2GB sticks is they were on sale when I was looking for them and the 1GB's weren't. 

letsgo2smokes

« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2007, 10:43 AM »
1 GB is more then enough...I only had 512 and i had 4 games saves and bout 45 songs on it and still had room...But yeah if you get just a 1GB it should be more enough

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1334551&CatId=1365

Mitch Lahey

• NASA Marshall Space Flight Center
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2007, 07:17 PM »
you can also get a 4GB card on ebay for around 70 bucks and they will work with a PSP but the transfer rate will be slightly slower than using a Sony one as they contain a bit of firmware that updates the speed- i heard around 2000MB takes about 30 minutes to transfer without this firmware.
-Mitch Dolphin (I work for Cyrus now)

"Hey everybody, there's a shitcloud comin'! Run for your lives!" -Randy Quaid in Kingpin

hashhockey69

« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2007, 03:32 PM »
I myself have a PSP and i got 1GB, i got 30 songs and 1 game downloaded onto it that is 600mb and i got room for saved games. But depending on what your son is planning on doing with his psp like movies or photoes and such, maybe 2GB would be better. If i would have the cash i would buy 4GB.

HH69