Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: Canadiens thread!  (Read 33934 times)

shake

Re: Canadiens thread!
« Reply #125 on: Jun 28, 2008, 12:12 AM »
Fans tend to have no patience..It's the "What Have You Done For Me Lately" syndrome

Not all fans.

Yeah trice it's Habs fans I was talking about  :P

Ole Dirty

« Reply #126 on: Jun 28, 2008, 05:30 AM »
For all us Atlantic Canadian Hockey fans...

Here is where you can get the tickets for the Halifax pre-season game this year
Canadiens vs. Bruins
Red Wings vs. Bruins

http://www.ticketatlantic.com/en/home/sports/nhl2008.aspx

With the Lil Dirty due in a couple weeks, I don't think I can afford the trip this year. :(
"Your life will never be complete...until you snort a coke line off a $10 000 hooker's ass." ~Grandpa Ole Dirty

"Wearing pants is such a hassle" ~ Ole Dirty

"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep every night, he checks under his bed for Chuck Norris."

walterx2

« Reply #127 on: Jun 28, 2008, 10:09 AM »
I was just playin around with the ticket site to see what tickets were available and it offered me seats one section away from center ice on the glass.

If I lived anywhere close I would have bought them.
"There’s class warfare, all right, but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning."

—Warren Buffett

trice

« Reply #128 on: Jun 28, 2008, 03:52 PM »
O.D....you should try to go, your Bruins are facing the Red Wings! See if you can get an early Christmas gift or hijack some groceries to sell, yo know what I'm saying dawg :) Also let's not call your baby 'Lil Dirty' ;)

Ole Dirty

« Reply #129 on: Jun 28, 2008, 04:43 PM »
O.D....you should try to go, your Bruins are facing the Red Wings! See if you can get an early Christmas gift or hijack some groceries to sell, yo know what I'm saying dawg :) Also let's not call your baby 'Lil Dirty' ;)

Well, Lil Dirty is what some of the people on the .ORG has named the little one. I'm cool with it. My nickname for my baby is "Peanut." (That is what I ordered on the back of the toddler Bruins jersey I bought for my little one as well.)

As for taking off to Halifax to see the Bruins, that really wouldn't be too responsible of a new dad.. As well, I am using all my vacation when Peanut is here, and make sure the wifey is comfortable, and does not have to lift a hand or foot to do anything. 

(I'd probably be more interested in watching the B's take on the Habs again. best and longest rivalry in the NHL!)
« Last Edit: Jun 28, 2008, 04:46 PM by Ole Dirty »
"Your life will never be complete...until you snort a coke line off a $10 000 hooker's ass." ~Grandpa Ole Dirty

"Wearing pants is such a hassle" ~ Ole Dirty

"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep every night, he checks under his bed for Chuck Norris."

trice

« Reply #130 on: Jun 28, 2008, 05:47 PM »
Here's to you :beermug: :beermug: for being a good husband and soon to be daddy! Now back to the thread..I know about rivalries, N.Y Rangers and N.Y Islanders..not the longest but the most brutal. I watched them play 3 games before I called it quits, no one's safe.. 

Brophy

« Reply #131 on: Jan 26, 2009, 07:03 AM »
Well...

Mon Dieu! Is Habs devotion like a religion?

Montreal Canadiens fans have an almost religious devotion to their team, says a University of Montreal professor, who started teaching a new course this month that studies the faithful following of the storied hockey franchise.

Over the 16-week course, Swiss-born theologian Olivier Bauer and his students will discuss how and why Montrealers seem to approach their team with the same devotion as worshippers approach church.

According to Bauer, there are a few reasons why Montreal fans worship their hockey heroes as they might a God.

For one, sharing religious values can be likened to sharing a tradition, and there's no more storied tradition in Quebec than cheering for Les Habitants.

"I think religion, there are different definitions," Bauer said Monday on Canada AM. "First is to put someone in a relationship with a kind of a superior being, a God, or a sacred one, something like that. But there is also a social function in religion to create some social link, for example, to celebrate a tradition."

According to Bauer, whose book on the topic is entitled "La religion du Canadien de Montreal," Canadiens worship, "brings people together and creates some common values for everyone in Montreal and in Quebec in general."

Montreal fans' fervour for their team may also stem from the fact that many Quebecers are Catholics and are transferring their religious devotion to their favourite hockey team.

"Les Canadiens de Montreal is inside a religious, Catholic context," Bauer said. "Maybe it's quite different from Toronto or Vancouver or other cities."

The new course coincides with a season's worth of events to mark the team's 100th anniversary.

This past weekend, Montreal hosted the NHL all-star game, and the team plans to honour past Canadiens greats throughout the season. In November, the Canadiens retired the jersey of former goaltender Patrick Roy.

http://news.sympatico.msn.ctv.ca/home/contentposting.aspx?newsitemid=CTVNews%2f20090126%2fcanadiens_religion_090126&feedname=CTV-TOPSTORIES_V3&showbyline=True

Nom Nom Nom

RBeck878

« Reply #132 on: Jan 26, 2009, 04:00 PM »
In my opinion being a Montreal Canadiens fan living in Toronto.. 

The history behind this hockey team is non-comperible to any other type of sports team.
Im originally of Scottish decent and whenever im back home, at very rare times other sports are spoken of other than football "soccer" if it happens to be hockey its Les Montreal Canadien just because of the history and popularity behind this franchise... okay they have no clue what their talking about because there piss drunk but they continue to say the team name over and over...

Even in Greece... thats right Greece ! i have an aunt and uncle over their and sure enough last summer my uncle sulis spoke of hockey to me because he knew it was my life... and what did he say " ryan forgive me because i dont know to much about the sport but i know of the hockey team Montreal.... Montreal i think the last name is Canadiens ???" 

the team is known worldwide.. their is so much hype behind them because of their "forgive me when i say this not braging" Greatness... the team has won 24 titled Championships...

thats the most amount of times a team has won any championship of any sport...

You know when the bleu blanc et rouge have a game... me personally have car flags.. in toronto kinda sketchy.. but am proud of being a fan... other people will wear bobby pins , toques... 

over the past few years theirs been times when you dont agree with what the fans chant at games and such..   not all the fans are like this... when i get to go out to a game in montreal you wont see me chanting what they do.. let me just say im not obnoxious im actually very polite well manered and would like to think well spoken. im open to peoples opinions about the hockey team... i know people dont like em... i have a group of friends that dont.. but hey thats life... and its what makes the games that much more interesting...

especially leafs habs on a saturday night.... nothing better..... 

drive for 25 go habs go...

Thanks for the great Episodes Boys
Sad to hear you guys have called it quits.. Best of Luck... Hope to run into you boys in the near future... Drinks on Me.

"Delicate Ricky, delicate... Thats blue dye under pressure! That whore blows and we all look like those blue, bald headed dicks that beat the drums. "

Countdown to Liquor Day (Movie): 246 days

Shit machine gun

« Reply #133 on: Jan 27, 2009, 03:23 AM »
The yankees passed the habs back in the late 90's early 2000's for total championships.  They have 26.

But we'll win another this year and then we'll be at 25.
2009-2010 TPB FANTASY HOCKEY CHAMPION. 

"I can be bought. If they paid me enough, I'd work for the Klan." - Charles Barkley

I HATE Conky

"I hear chicken, cola fizz, mustard and relish, all coagulatin together, and french fries and onion rings, but you know what, I don't hear a heart, Motherfucker"

RBeck878

« Reply #134 on: Jan 27, 2009, 07:57 AM »
The yankees passed the habs back in the late 90's early 2000's for total championships.  They have 26.

But we'll win another this year and then we'll be at 25.

my bad  :lol: but were up there !!
Thanks for the great Episodes Boys
Sad to hear you guys have called it quits.. Best of Luck... Hope to run into you boys in the near future... Drinks on Me.

"Delicate Ricky, delicate... Thats blue dye under pressure! That whore blows and we all look like those blue, bald headed dicks that beat the drums. "

Countdown to Liquor Day (Movie): 246 days

Shit machine gun

« Reply #135 on: Jan 27, 2009, 08:04 AM »
And we shall rise again. :fight:

"I can be bought. If they paid me enough, I'd work for the Klan." - Charles Barkley

I HATE Conky

"I hear chicken, cola fizz, mustard and relish, all coagulatin together, and french fries and onion rings, but you know what, I don't hear a heart, Motherfucker"

Refuckulator

• Matt's Design Portfolio
« Reply #136 on: Feb 19, 2009, 03:58 PM »
Habs acquire Mathieu Schneider, bench Kovalev for two games and send S. Kostitsyn to Hamilton.

Thoughts?
Follow me: @MattRichBedard

walterx2

« Reply #137 on: Feb 19, 2009, 09:54 PM »
And we shall rise again. :fight:

Starting with the next game, eh? Pens 5 Canadians 4 :D

And what was up with BGL? It looked like he was not interested in mixing it up with Goddard at all. I was at the game so I didn't have a good angle, I'll have to watch the replay at 11:00.
"There’s class warfare, all right, but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning."

—Warren Buffett

Refuckulator

« Reply #138 on: Feb 19, 2009, 10:51 PM »
No, Laraque didn't look to interested.
Crazy game. I'm jealous you were there. Lots of scoring in the third period. Something is seriously wrong with Price. They should have held onto Huet. I always like him... got a shutout tonight.

Refuckulator

Carbo Fired as Head Coach
« Reply #139 on: Mar 09, 2009, 08:51 PM »
http://canadiens.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=413073

Going to be weird to see him go, but Gainey will do much better!

Shit machine gun

« Reply #140 on: Mar 09, 2009, 09:25 PM »
Kovy might decide to step it up with the big boss standing behind him now.

I HATE Conky

walterx2

« Reply #141 on: Mar 09, 2009, 11:32 PM »
Kovy might decide to step it up with the big boss standing behind him now.

Kovy has always been like that. He did the same thing with the Pens. You never knew which Kovalev you were going to get

—Warren Buffett

walterx2

« Reply #142 on: Mar 09, 2009, 11:35 PM »
Watching the Nucks - Kings. not a bad game. LA3 - Van2  1/2 thru the 3rd

—Warren Buffett

Shit machine gun

« Reply #143 on: Mar 10, 2009, 08:23 AM »
Walt, you go to many Bucs games?  I'm half tempted to make a road trip to see the Mets this year and Pittsburgh may be the cheapest/closest combo alternative.

I HATE Conky

walterx2

« Reply #144 on: Mar 10, 2009, 10:21 AM »
I don't go to as many as I used to due to my involvement with youth baseball and the general suckage of the Pirates these days. I've had season tickets in the past.

I'd highly recommend PNC Park to see a game in. It is a beautiful ballpark. Are you coming for a game or a series?

I might be able to save you some money on tickets, let me know when and where you want to sit and I'll see what I can do.

—Warren Buffett

walterx2

« Reply #145 on: Mar 10, 2009, 10:33 AM »
No, Laraque didn't look to interested.
Crazy game. I'm jealous you were there. Lots of scoring in the third period. Something is seriously wrong with Price. They should have held onto Huet. I always like him... got a shutout tonight.

Yes I thought that they jumped the gun with C. Price. Yes, he is talented but young goalies are by nature inconsistent. Look how long it took Fleury to become consistent.

These goalies come in hot but other teams get some film on them, learn their tendencies, and suddenly its not as easy as it was.

I remember when Patrick Lalimme (sp?) came up with the Pens he went 18-0 or something like that. I remember all the talk of his future greatness. How did that work out?

I think Price will work out in the end though.

—Warren Buffett

Shit machine gun

« Reply #146 on: Mar 10, 2009, 10:41 AM »
I don't know if it's going to happen or not, but it's something I'm discussing with the wife.  I think she'd rather do something kid friendlier than baseball.  I'd probably make it a 2 or 3 gamer, depending on other things.

They only travel to the burgh once and it's for a M-Th series.  Definitely won't be able to for that.  I want my Expos back.
« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2009, 01:56 PM by Shit machine gun »

I HATE Conky

walterx2

« Reply #147 on: Mar 10, 2009, 07:34 PM »
Too Bad.. there's always next year

—Warren Buffett

Shit machine gun

« Reply #148 on: Mar 10, 2009, 07:50 PM »
definitely.  and if we ever head to WV again, I'll make it a point to stop and say hello

I HATE Conky

Refuckulator

« Reply #149 on: Jul 02, 2009, 03:37 PM »
Any thoughts on the signings?
Cammleri: Love it.
The trade for Gomez: Terrible. Gomez is basically a slight upgrade from Koivu but barely. He is way over paid (7.3 mil)
Gionta: Not really sure, hopefully having Gomez and Gionta back together will boost each of their productivity.
Gill: Makes sense, he's the exact same player as Komisarek (who we lost to Toronto :S) but will be making less money and he also has more experience.
Spacek: I like this. Good puck moving D similar to Schneider, who I wouldn't mind having back as well.

We still haven't resigned the majority of our team though. Looks as if Tanguay, Koivu and Kovalev as well will all be gone somewhere else seeing as we have arounf 14 mil left to spend.

What are your thoughts?
I just think it'll be odd seeing the Canadiens with Cammaleri, Gomez and Gionta being the team leaders and not seeing Koivu or Kovalev around.