Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: Do you boycott any products/stores?  (Read 8213 times)

Evangeline

Do you boycott any products/stores?
« on: Oct 10, 2006, 09:42 AM »
I haven't seen a topic like this here and I am bored this morning, lol

Shit machine gun

Re: Do you boycott any products/stores?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 10, 2006, 10:09 AM »
Burger King makes we want to puke everytime I eat there.  Try not to go often unless I'm in a bind.

Also, I try to not shop at one of the local grocery stores.  They're way overpriced and nothing is where it should be.
2009-2010 TPB FANTASY HOCKEY CHAMPION. 

"I can be bought. If they paid me enough, I'd work for the Klan." - Charles Barkley

I HATE Conky

"I hear chicken, cola fizz, mustard and relish, all coagulatin together, and french fries and onion rings, but you know what, I don't hear a heart, Motherfucker"

shake

« Reply #2 on: Oct 10, 2006, 10:17 AM »
I'd like to boycott WalMart but sometimes I do shop there.  I do make a point to avoid it as much as I can though.

Fishyneil

• Doritos commercial
« Reply #3 on: Oct 10, 2006, 10:17 AM »
Is it better for the Newfounland fishermen for me to buy Cod or Boycott it?
Fishy
"So why would you care
To get out of this place
You and me and all our friends
Such a happy human race"

TPB FAQ's... http://www.trailerparkboys.org/forums/index.php?topic=6806.0

Shit machine gun

« Reply #4 on: Oct 10, 2006, 10:23 AM »
you gotta buy it from them before they sell it to the big chop shops.

Head out to NL and stop at any local village, and wait for the boats to come in.  but they probably won't sell it to you because they have to get their quotas.  giant shit circle.  OD would be able to shed some light on it.

"I can be bought. If they paid me enough, I'd work for the Klan." - Charles Barkley

I HATE Conky

"I hear chicken, cola fizz, mustard and relish, all coagulatin together, and french fries and onion rings, but you know what, I don't hear a heart, Motherfucker"

Saucy Bastard

« Reply #5 on: Oct 10, 2006, 10:31 AM »
I boycott BC farmed Atlantic salmon . The sea lice infestations that have finally been proved to be caused by open net farming , are DEVASTATING local wild salmon stocks !!
"Why not go out on a limb? That's where the fruit is." --Will Rogers
"Get off that limb , that's where all the nuts are!" --Mrs. Saucy

-Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice?

walterx2

« Reply #6 on: Oct 10, 2006, 10:36 AM »
I'd like to boycott WalMart but sometimes I do shop there.  I do make a point to avoid it as much as I can though.

I'm with Shake on this one. If you get a chance download and watch
Robert Greenwald's "Walmart - The High Cost of Low Prices"

Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price is the documentary film that's changing the largest company on earth. The film features the deeply personal stories and everyday lives of families and communities struggling to survive in a Wal-Mart world. It's an emotional journey that will challenge the way you think, feel... and shop.
"There’s class warfare, all right, but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning."

—Warren Buffett

EvilTwin

« Reply #7 on: Oct 10, 2006, 03:12 PM »
I boycott any business that posts a sign telling me that I can't carry my legally owned handgun into their establishment. Before this turns into another "Guns are bad" debate, hear me out.

These businesses are saying, in effect, that they are guaranteeing my safety and by doing that are responsible if any harm comes to me by an criminal who enters their premises.

My dad was ready to buy my stepmom a new Lexus SUV, but walked out on the deal when he approached the showroom doors. Prominently displayed was No Guns Allowed sign. They lost out on a $40,000 sale.

Drunk_As_Fuck

« Reply #8 on: Oct 10, 2006, 03:36 PM »
For years I didn't shop at Wallymart but in the last couple of years I've caved :(.  Hey Fishy, might wanna hold off buyin the cod if ya wanna support the NFLD fishermen.  They can't catch it yet offshore boats fish it like hell even in Canadian waters.  I learned the hard way NFLD folk get SUPER pissed if ya talk about eatin cod ... trust me lol.

Evangeline

« Reply #9 on: Oct 10, 2006, 03:56 PM »

I boycot any movie with Tom Cruise in it, lol 

Brophy

« Reply #10 on: Oct 10, 2006, 04:43 PM »
Im with the gang on Walmart.. saw the documentary.. insane.  Although being poor.. I have limited options most of the time.

I do not deal with Irving.. gas or anything.... really not a fan.
Nom Nom Nom

shake

« Reply #11 on: Oct 10, 2006, 05:03 PM »
Sorry to hear you don’t like Irving Brophy, I always try and support Canadian companies.  I will drive out of my way to avoid Esso or Shell to buy gas from Canadian company.  The more Canadians support Canadian companies the better off we will be.

Evangeline

« Reply #12 on: Oct 10, 2006, 05:08 PM »
I boycott any business that posts a sign telling me that I can't carry my legally owned handgun into their establishment. Before this turns into another "Guns are bad" debate, hear me out.

These businesses are saying, in effect, that they are guaranteeing my safety and by doing that are responsible if any harm comes to me by an criminal who enters their premises.

My dad was ready to buy my stepmom a new Lexus SUV, but walked out on the deal when he approached the showroom doors. Prominently displayed was No Guns Allowed sign. They lost out on a $40,000 sale.

It must suck for you not going to bars  :(  I have a friend who carries a legally owned hand and she won't go into any bars when she has it with her.  But she doesn't boycott establishments because we go out for drinks all the time, just not when she has it on her.

Julians_Wife

« Reply #13 on: Oct 10, 2006, 05:54 PM »
Not really stores, but I won't buy certain products if they do things against my beliefs ie: animal testing/torture - big NO-NO! even though I'm not really an animal lover (own no pets and prolly never will) I mostly eat free range meats, organic foods and would support more CAD biz if the US stores weren't taking over our country, unfortunately it's hard to shop in locally owned small biz stores, there are fewer every year, because too many deals at Wally World etc. and not enough support from locals --- which sux ... I love my butcher and small bz owners treat you so good, too bad more people don't realize that.

EvilTwin

« Reply #14 on: Oct 10, 2006, 06:12 PM »

It must suck for you not going to bars  :(  I have a friend who carries a legally owned hand and she won't go into any bars when she has it with her.  But she doesn't boycott establishments because we go out for drinks all the time, just not when she has it on her.

Bars are a different story, responsible concealed weapon carriers don't go out drinking with a gun. As your friend well knows. ;) I haven't gone out to the bars in a long time anyway, 7 or 8 years at the very least.
« Last Edit: Oct 10, 2006, 06:15 PM by EvilTwin »

Shit machine gun

« Reply #15 on: Oct 10, 2006, 06:29 PM »
what about the wild west?  someone beats your pair of kings and you shoot up the saloon.

I HATE Conky

Brophy

« Reply #16 on: Oct 10, 2006, 06:47 PM »
Sorry to hear you don’t like Irving Brophy, I always try and support Canadian companies.  I will drive out of my way to avoid Esso or Shell to buy gas from Canadian company.  The more Canadians support Canadian companies the better off we will be.

I agree with you - excluding Irving.. I just don't like the way they do business.  I tend to go to the gas station thats at the Atlantic Superstore.. so I am hoping its a little bit Canadian?.  As for most other things, 100% Canadian. 

JW - I do the organic thing when I am not overly poor... the fruit is always better.

I hope I didnt offend anyone with my statement on Irving. 

CB
Nom Nom Nom

shake

« Reply #17 on: Oct 10, 2006, 08:27 PM »
I'm sure the Irvings wouldn't be too happy about it :P

unfortunately it's hard to shop in locally owned small biz stores, there are fewer every year, because too many deals at Wally World etc. and not enough support from locals --- which sux ... I love my butcher and small bz owners treat you so good, too bad more people don't realize that.

Good point, I try and support independent business when I can as well.  An independent CD/DVD shop I used to support closed recently.  Not because they went out of business but because they were paid good money for their real estate to put up a condo.  If I'm going to buy something like a magazine I will buy at a mom and pop shop rather than a big convenience store chain.

EvilTwin

« Reply #18 on: Oct 11, 2006, 01:10 AM »
what about the wild west?  someone beats your pair of kings and you shoot up the saloon.

:roll: I think someones seen "Tombstone" one too many times :lol:

Mitch Lahey

• NASA Marshall Space Flight Center
« Reply #19 on: Oct 11, 2006, 03:09 AM »
Right now I'm boycotting anything related to the "comedian" Carrot Top. No real righteous idignationy reasons, I just don't like the guy.
-Mitch Dolphin (I work for Cyrus now)

"Hey everybody, there's a shitcloud comin'! Run for your lives!" -Randy Quaid in Kingpin

EvilTwin

« Reply #20 on: Oct 11, 2006, 03:29 AM »
Right now I'm boycotting anything related to the "comedian" Carrot Top. No real righteous idignationy reasons, I just don't like the guy.

Who does? :lol:

Mitch Lahey

• NASA Marshall Space Flight Center
« Reply #21 on: Oct 11, 2006, 04:07 AM »
lol thats what im sayin
-Mitch Dolphin (I work for Cyrus now)

"Hey everybody, there's a shitcloud comin'! Run for your lives!" -Randy Quaid in Kingpin

Brophy

« Reply #22 on: Oct 11, 2006, 05:09 AM »
He makes me scared.  He has a Danny Bonaduce feel to him now.. that on top of the weird that was pre-existing.
Nom Nom Nom

puddles

« Reply #23 on: Oct 11, 2006, 07:17 AM »
In Fredericton:  Keystone Kelly's (didn't have heat on Valentine's 2004), Mikes Restaurant (very slow service), Tim Hortons (they actually had no donuts made one Saturday), TH in Oromocto actually gave me a black coffee when I asked for double/double, McD's Moncton (Magnetic Hill) (always too busy, slow service and stupid people work there), DQ in north F'ton, and Salisbury, NB (crap service).

I don't know what is with the retail service industry the past few years.  It is a cultural thing I guess.  Hire 16 year olds that just don't give a shit.  I was in a McD's recently and I was at the counter and a young fellow working there had words with the swing manager and gave her the finger!  The manager said nothing.  This was in front of customers!  This is also in view of a kids birthday party!

I don't get it!  Yesterday I was at Pier 1 in Saint John hoping to purchase a mirror.  The internet had it listed as $89 the store clerk told me $200.  I said no thanks..and she proceeded to follow me around the store saying that $89 was the US price.  Hmm..even with the exchange rate, it would not be $200.  Did I mention that the price sticker on the back of the mirror said $125?  She then told me that, that was the US price.  I felt like telling her we are in Canada, but I didn't.  The $ just didnt' add up.  I wasn't upset about it at all, no big deal..I will just keep shopping around.  So she comes over to me again blathering...and when I told her that I just didn't understand the different prices, she just walked away!  Nice.  Then, I wasn't watching, but my son told me that she was at the front counter blathering on to the other employees!  Nice, classy.  Hey, last time I checked, Pier 1 is a more 'up scale' retailer.  I just got the feeling like I was an unwanted customer.  So, I guess I will take my business to Moncton from now on.  I hate it when the employees are so snotty and act like you aren't good enough to shop in their store.  For the record, the clerk was in her 50's (not age discriminating, but it surprises me that someone with experience in retail was so anti-customer service!)

The thing is, if you are not a satisfied customer, let them know.  If you get good service, also let them know!  Far too often good service is gone unnoticed.  Please, praise up good service!  Being mad at a store/poor service goes unnoticed if you dont' say anything.  The silent protest of not shopping there just isn't enough.

Maybe I just expect too much.  As my mom said, "treat people as you expect to be treated".  Well, these days, if that is the case, the retail industry is in dire need of help because there are fewer and fewer places that give a rats ass about smiling, being friendly, knowledgable and helpful towards customers.

"Crisis doesn't create character, it reveals it" Denis Leary

Julians_Wife

« Reply #24 on: Oct 12, 2006, 07:13 PM »

I used to like him but now he's just too weird even for me .... on Vodka LOL! I saw him live quite few years ago (back in uni) with his "tickle trunk" and the inventions he pulled out were pretty damn funny, but he has gone beyond bizarre now with his humour, it's a bit much. Some comedians just go over the top, kinda like Jim Carey ... sometimes he is WAY over the top.

And yeah Brophy the organic food prices are a little crazy, but if you can get stuff right from the farmer it's a little more reasonable than buying organic in the grocery store.