Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: PM Restrictions  (Read 7748 times)

cat-dog

PM Restrictions
« on: Apr 28, 2006, 01:54 AM »
Just wanted to let everyone know (with lots of notice) that I will be soon imposing a limit to the amount of PMs you can store. It came to my attention that despite my good intentions to not worry about something so trivial - that the database for the forums was reaching quite a size (which only slows things down the larger it gets). One of the largest tables in the database was the private messages.. so something has to change, as I'm sure the amount of data stored makes navigating/searching/accessing the database much slower.

So please, if you have any PMs that are important - MAKE SURE YOU SAVE THEM ASAP!

I won't be setting the limits for a week (May 5th) - so you have until then to get what you need.

"There's a difference between being old school, and being old and still in school."

Djet3k

• My Myspace
Re: PM Restrictions
« Reply #1 on: Apr 28, 2006, 06:44 AM »
Thnx for the warning CD! i was wondering ,have 17 pages of pms will probbely end up copying alot of them to a txt tonight!
"Fuck, fuck, fuck, / Mother, mother fuck, / Mother, mother fuck, fuck / Mother fuck, mother fuck, / Noich noich noich, / 1, 2, 1, 2, 3, 4, / Noich, noich noich / Smokin' weed, smokin' wizz, / Doin' coke, drinkin' beers, / Drinkin' beers, beers, beers, / Rollin' fattys, smokin' blunts, / Who smokes the blunts? / We smoke the blunts."

"Just remember when you control the mail you control....information!"

Shit machine gun

« Reply #2 on: Apr 28, 2006, 07:17 AM »
I delete em when they come in.  That way it reminds me what it's like to have no friends. :(

Unless there is  :boobies: then those ones stay.
2009-2010 TPB FANTASY HOCKEY CHAMPION. 

"I can be bought. If they paid me enough, I'd work for the Klan." - Charles Barkley

I HATE Conky

"I hear chicken, cola fizz, mustard and relish, all coagulatin together, and french fries and onion rings, but you know what, I don't hear a heart, Motherfucker"

RumNCoke

« Reply #3 on: Apr 28, 2006, 07:27 AM »
I have noticed longer than usual load times here at the ORG. I thought it was only my computer. You gotta do what you gotta do, cat-dog.

DavidB_Bubbles

• Location: Hiding in my shed from a Samsquanch Monster, Salem, Oregon, U.S.A.
« Reply #4 on: Apr 28, 2006, 09:56 AM »
Thanks for the heads up cat-dog  :) Jeepers I had four pages of PM's myself   :shock: :-s :? But it's cleaned up  8) ...for now  ;)

Julians_Wife

« Reply #5 on: Apr 28, 2006, 10:02 AM »
Mine are all empty, you get a copy of your msg sent to your email anyway, so no point in hogging space on the board.

bigbenjamin

« Reply #6 on: Apr 28, 2006, 11:56 AM »
When I am hitting the wall with one of my on-line email accounts I get a warning that it is 90% full, for example, and I start deleting the unimportant stuff until I get it down to 50 or 60%. Could you give us some idea of the maximum space we can keep - so we can just winnow it down to the amount allowed? Or will you simply empty all PM accounts and we must save elsewhere and start from zero here? (btw - we staff get tons of PMs, some containing important details - contact info, trivia contest stuff, etc. - could we be given a bit more space on our accounts?)

And yesh, i have noticed the board draggin quite a bit . . this thang must be a bitch to keep running as smoothly as it does - hats off and big ups to cat-dog, the owner, originator and tech wizard of this mighty ORG!!!

He's a pinball wizard
There's got to be a twist
A pinball wizard
He's got such a supple wrist  - Cheers!

Julians_Wife

« Reply #7 on: Apr 28, 2006, 12:10 PM »
yeah I've noticed the board really dragging the last few days ...... just a suggestion CD .....maybe you could send out a mailer to everyone and tell them about it.

Saucy Bastard

« Reply #8 on: Apr 28, 2006, 03:04 PM »
I just deleted 3 pages of PMs , and will probably delete some more...especially if it helps to speed up the org a bit.....
"Why not go out on a limb? That's where the fruit is." --Will Rogers
"Get off that limb , that's where all the nuts are!" --Mrs. Saucy

-Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice?

KarateCollie

« Reply #9 on: Apr 28, 2006, 03:09 PM »
Ahh, so that's the problem! Thought it was my computer or somethin'. Thanks Cat-Dog! :)
KarateCollie

Saucy Bastard

« Reply #10 on: Apr 28, 2006, 03:17 PM »
I just deleted 7   :shock: pages of my Outbox! What did I need all those for?  :roll:  ( I kept 1/2 of a page.... )

Vancouver

« Reply #11 on: Apr 28, 2006, 04:43 PM »
outbox? never checked my outbox...but I do have 14 pages of pm s. wonder how many Im allowed....ok tell me, then Ill do the deleteing...thanx for the notice CD!
TPB Fantasy Hockey League CHAMPION!!

trailerchick

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2006, 09:37 PM »
ha ha...I didn't realize about the outbox either! Have deleted all.

cat-dog

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2006, 01:21 AM »
I'm thinking 25 PMs per user is probably a good idea. I'm not sure if when I set the limits whether or not it will delete messages that are over the limit. So it's important you get anything important out before the 5th.
"There's a difference between being old school, and being old and still in school."

DavidB_Bubbles

• Location: Hiding in my shed from a Samsquanch Monster, Salem, Oregon, U.S.A.
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2006, 11:31 AM »
Thats sounds very reasonable to me cat-dog  :D I have cleaned out my inbox and outbox so hopefully everything will be a go for now  8) keep up the good work on this site, I do not know how you do it.  :julian: :bubs: :ricky:  :beermug:

Djet3k

• My Myspace
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2006, 12:50 PM »
In & Out Box empty

My first pm was from C-D offering to help me out with the xmass special :)

Thnx for all the work you put in this site!  :julian: :bubs: :ricky: :6paper: :beermug:
"Fuck, fuck, fuck, / Mother, mother fuck, / Mother, mother fuck, fuck / Mother fuck, mother fuck, / Noich noich noich, / 1, 2, 1, 2, 3, 4, / Noich, noich noich / Smokin' weed, smokin' wizz, / Doin' coke, drinkin' beers, / Drinkin' beers, beers, beers, / Rollin' fattys, smokin' blunts, / Who smokes the blunts? / We smoke the blunts."

"Just remember when you control the mail you control....information!"

Saucy Bastard

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2006, 04:36 PM »
I'm thinking 25 PMs per user is probably a good idea. I'm not sure if when I set the limits whether or not it will delete messages that are over the limit. So it's important you get anything important out before the 5th.

25 in and 25 out , or 25 combined ?

cat-dog

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2006, 04:45 PM »
i think combined would be the best thing, in order to keep the overall numbers down. there's a setting you can change in your profile under the personal message options to disable saving a copy of your outgoing messages.

Saucy Bastard

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2006, 06:51 PM »
OK , I disabled the sentbox feature , and did more pruning , now I'm down under 20  !!  8)

Things seem faster here already , has all the deleting of PMs actually made the difference?

bigbenjamin

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2006, 12:43 AM »
This is more of a tech question - now that I have whittled my huge backlog of PMs down to a couple of pages, what is the fastest and simplest way to transfer the remaining stuff (contact info mostly) to my Gmail or where ever?

One more day til PMs get flushed cheers!

cat-dog

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2006, 07:11 AM »
This is more of a tech question - now that I have whittled my huge backlog of PMs down to a couple of pages, what is the fastest and simplest way to transfer the remaining stuff (contact info mostly) to my Gmail or where ever?

copy + paste?

RumNCoke

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2006, 07:23 AM »
Things seem faster here already , has all the deleting of PMs actually made the difference?

I've noticed it also. Thank goodness because the long load time was starting to get annoying. I guess people deleting most of their PMs is what did it.

bigbenjamin

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2006, 10:41 AM »

copy + paste?

Yesh, that much I knew . . thought perhaps there was another way. btw - i agree the board does seem to move along faster now - must be all the deleting we've done in preparation for the big PM flush tomorrow.

cheers

cat-dog

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2006, 11:32 AM »
No, unfortunately there's no other real way to do it. In the future though, I can suggest getting notified by email of PMs, and then save them within your email software as it relays the entire PM. I've setup my email program to filter any emails coming from contact@tpb.org and send them to a special folder where I keep any ones I need handy.

bigbenjamin

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2006, 02:27 PM »
Thanks Andrew, good to know. I did find a faster way to store my important PMs - I just right clicked on the long PM pages (trimmed my huge back-log down to 2 pages) chose "save page" to my desktop and then made the desktop item an attachment to an email I sent myself.

(Then to be extra safe I printed hard copies from my email -16 printed pages of contact info, emails from cast members and assorted PMs from you and staff regarding our various understandings. Could've stored the info on disc also.)

:D Ready for the big PM flush cheers!