Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: Vegetarianism, Anyone? Stories, Recipes?  (Read 2708 times)

bigbenjamin

Vegetarianism, Anyone? Stories, Recipes?
« on: Mar 28, 2006, 12:47 AM »

I became a vegetarian chiefly because of pig shit, and I remained a vegetarian for more than 8 years, until a young Japanese homestay student begged me to create a secret meat club.

It was a rolled pork roast that I got from the butcher, roasted by me and served by candle light, which turned out to have an unexpected ingredient. It smelled a bit odd and tasted wrong, but my wife didn't want to complain and I couldn't figure it out until we had eaten a few mouthfuls.

At about the same time that pig shit turned me into a pesco vegetarian (fish and veggies only), I also began to take my Buddhism (Mahayana, Korean/Japanese Zen) more seriously. I stopped drinking and gave up drugs. I learned scores of new vegetarian recipes.

Then SHE arrived, neurotic as a poodle and prettier than sin. And she craved meat and alcohol in my vegetarian establishment. It didn't take long until SHE was burying chicken, pork and beef bones in the back garden. She was insanely afraid that Mrs. B. would discover our clandestine meat club. (Strange, considering how indiscreet SHE was about other matters.) And then one day we were discovered!!!  - and it was a major shock - since my daughter had converted her fiancée to vegetarianism.

Soon my whole family followed my example and we abandoned our vegetarianism. SHE  lived with us for 2 1/2 years. That was 3 or 4 years ago, and now I am feeling drawn back to vegetarianism and cleaning up my act a wee bit. I have eaten no red meat for more than a week . . mostly fish and veggies, plus a little chicken.

If you are vegetarian or semi-vegetarian, or you want to convert or share recipes, this be the thread.

Secret Meat Club Cheers!
« Last Edit: Mar 28, 2006, 12:52 AM by bigbenjamin »

Saucy Bastard

Re: Vegetarianism, Anyone? Stories, Recipes?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29, 2006, 02:36 AM »
Here's a story for you.......

14 years ago , I spent the summer working with my younger step brother , building a house for my step mom. I was 23 , he was 16 . We hadn't spent much of our life together , because of a nasty divorce many years before. What I didn't realize , was that he practically idolized me . I was a healthfood nut / amature nutritionist / almost vegitarian at the time. I preached to him about health (he had the typical North American diet). Well , after the summer , he went back home to California , and metamorphasized. Vitamines and health food . Then Vegitarian , then within the year , vegan ( no animal products) . The next time I saw him , a year later , he was deep into it. He started selling Super Blue Green Algae , and consuming mass quantities of it. Within  2 years he was on a 6 month tour of the US , with a bunch of students , promoting heath through nutrition. Everone he talked to , he told of his older brother , who started him down this path. A few years later , it was raw food only. That made him a dificult house guest. His diet was mostly Fruit , nuts ,and  honey  . Then he discovered this "Instinctual Eating" still raw food , but lots of wild meat. The  #1 proponent of this lifestyle , would go to an organic chicken farm , and pay to catch and eat a raw chicken , moments after death. My brother would catch a fish and then let it sit on the counter for up to 24 hours to properly ripen it . When the  guy who popularized this style of eating , ate a raw  mongoose in Hawaii , and almost died of the resulting parasitic infection , my brother had a reality check and went back to his old cheese burger eating ways. He still eats healthy , but like me , believes  in moderation over fanatacism.
"Why not go out on a limb? That's where the fruit is." --Will Rogers
"Get off that limb , that's where all the nuts are!" --Mrs. Saucy

-Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice?

bigbenjamin

« Reply #2 on: Mar 29, 2006, 12:33 PM »
WOW  :shock: ! That made me larf out loud, Rev. Saucy! Kind of a parable, that little tale of yours . . what did brother Blake say . . ."The fool who persists in his folly will become wise."

Anybody got a homemeade veggie burger recipe?

Hungry freaks daddy cheers!

Shit machine gun

« Reply #3 on: Mar 29, 2006, 12:54 PM »
Ingredients:
Veggie Burgers

* 2 tbsp olive oil
    * 4 x Portobello mushrooms, sliced
    * 1 cup of shiitake mushrooms, chopped
    * 2 x onions, chopped
    * 2 cloves of garlic, minced
    * 1/2 cup brown rice
    * 1/2 cup bulgar
    * 2 cups of water
    * 2 tbsp of soya sauce
    * 1 x bay leaf
    * 2 x eggs
    * 1 block of firm tofu
    * 2 tbsp of Miso paste
    * 1 cup of breadcrumbs
    * Salt and pepper

Directions:
Veggie Burgers

1. Heat a saucepot over medium-high heat and add oil. When hot, add mushrooms, onions and garlic. Sauté until the mushrooms lose their moisture and onions begin to caramelize. Add rice, bulgar, water, soya sauce and bay leaf. Cover with a lid and cook until the grains have absorbed all the liquid. Let mixture cool.
   2. Place mushroom and rice mixture into the bowl of a food processor. Add eggs, tofu, Miso paste and breadcrumbs and seasoning. Puree until smooth.
   3. Form into patties and refrigerate until firm. Fry over medium high heat until golden and cooked through.
2009-2010 TPB FANTASY HOCKEY CHAMPION. 

"I can be bought. If they paid me enough, I'd work for the Klan." - Charles Barkley

I HATE Conky

"I hear chicken, cola fizz, mustard and relish, all coagulatin together, and french fries and onion rings, but you know what, I don't hear a heart, Motherfucker"

bigbenjamin

« Reply #4 on: Mar 29, 2006, 10:19 PM »
Man, SMG, that is a lovely recipe, and much more interesting than my old self-invented veggie burger recipe:

My Lentil Burgers:

1 cup of uncooked lentils

1 cup of TVP (fine)*

1 cup of soft whole wheat bread crumbs

1/2 cup chopped onion

1/2 cup diced green bell pepper

2 eggs lightly beaten

1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce

1 tbsp curry powder(optional)

-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -

Cook the lentils in boiling water until soft, about 35 minutes. Drain and mash, mix with all other ingredients in food processor or by hand. Form into patties and fry in a lightly greased frying pan until golden brown. Makes eight big burgers - just add the buns abd all yr favourite trimmings.

*TVP is textured vegetable protein. Actually spun, dried and fragmented tofu . . a great ground meat substitute - also adds the squishy texture of meat.

Anybody got a good veggie chili recipe?

munchies cheers!

budgirl33

« Reply #5 on: Mar 31, 2006, 03:58 PM »
I will try these recipies..My daughter is a vegetarian and I find it very difficult trying to make meals for her. Theres only so many salads I can make for her. I think its great that she has decided to be a vegetarian even though I'm a really big meat eater myself, but I know they pump it full of shit thats really not good for you. Its sad that you don't know what your eating these days. Then everyone wonders why so many people are getting cancer and other diseases. I think its all in the food and water we drink.

bigbenjamin

« Reply #6 on: Mar 31, 2006, 04:54 PM »
Thanks budgurl, but i forgot to add salt and pepper to taste, for my lentil burger recipe - so be sure to spike it with either a little salt or soy sauce.

You know the ordinary supermarkets have a lot of cool fake meat stuff these day - veggie dogd and veggie burger patties everywhere - and if your daughter ain't too strict, nothing better than some fish and sea food - just grilled some fresh rainbow trout last night!

Non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other living beings, we are still savages."
        Thomas Edison, inventor

savage cheers!

Cheese_Burgers78

« Reply #7 on: Aug 08, 2013, 06:35 PM »
     Well I am currently taking part in a vegetarian challenge this month . It's only been 8 days and I am having a REALLY hard time adapting to it  . It's a lot harder than I thought it would be  . I am constantly craving burgers , tacos  etc....  .  I dont know if I will last the challenge or not because Ive lost quite a few pounds already and if it keeps dropping this fast , I will have to quit .
      Despite some of the hard adjusting , I am starting to notice I feel a bit better . Ive never eaten this many vegetables in my life . At the start of the challenge I also decided to ween myself off the pop and I am down to 1 a day now  . I was VERY caffeine dependent :D . I hope I can make it through the month with this challenge . If I can....I just might keep going .
" 30 days , boys . 30 sexy days , Julian . Sexy "

Tiggy Puddin

« Reply #8 on: Aug 09, 2013, 08:47 AM »
I was VERY caffeine dependent :D

Caffeine is vegetarian, so you are OK with that!

Good for you for trying, I haven't eaten meat for years and I don't miss it a bit, I reckon about 60% of the meals I eat are vegan (not a conscious decision, I just like the food!)

I even love tofu now - the trick is to freeze it for a few days then thaw it (it makes it much firmer), squeeze the water out, then fry the fuck out of it.  ;)

Cheese_Burgers78

« Reply #9 on: Aug 09, 2013, 11:05 AM »
Ive been trying to lay off the pop for years , never really been successful . Ive tried tofu in the past , but couldn't  stand it ( maybe its the way it was prepared ? ) . But like you say " Fry the fuck out of it " might make a difference lol
" 30 days , boys . 30 sexy days , Julian . Sexy "

DavidB_Bubbles

• Location: Hiding in my shed from a Samsquanch Monster, Salem, Oregon, U.S.A.
« Reply #10 on: Aug 09, 2013, 11:19 AM »
No way never.  Love cheeseburgers, steak and stuff like that too much  :)