Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: British shows  (Read 21202 times)

Tiggy Puddin

Re: uk comedy.....
« Reply #50 on: Jul 11, 2006, 01:31 PM »
I never saw the League of Gentlemen movie as I was abroad, I wondered whether it lived up to the TV show. Oh dear, I don't know whether to watch it or not!

trailerchick

« Reply #51 on: Jul 11, 2006, 09:23 PM »
I finally saw the 1st season of "The Office"

pure gold.

Sunnyvale Shrimp

« Reply #52 on: Jul 15, 2006, 06:31 PM »

jees... i didnt think anyone had seen 15 stories high that show 'was' great, i thought that was just a show i stummbled across in the wee hours of the morning which noone else would be watchin lol

yeah that's how i first came across it actually!! you can get atleast the first series on dvd and they are all so funny. errol is such a good character... have you seen the one where he cuts himself and keeps using nicotine patches as plasters?? classic!

LOL no but it sounds good.. i didnt see that many of them but the few i did see were great... sean lock is brilliant in it and his new shows like, 8 out of 10 cats and tv heven, telly hell are good aswell

iv been looking for the dvds since i first saw the show but HMV in lancaster is rubbish.!!

gina green

« Reply #53 on: Jul 19, 2006, 05:17 AM »
yeah sean lock is sooo funny... i got right into tv heaven telly hell. still not managed to catch an episode of 8 out of 10 cats... its'a always on a friday night or sommat stupid.

is anyone else watching saxondale??? i think it's great... so pleased steve coogan has managed to pull off being a character other than alan partridge so well. really worth checking out if you've not already.

Djet3k

• My Myspace
« Reply #54 on: Jul 19, 2006, 05:32 AM »
Yeah I'm following saxondale too and lovin it.

Sure wish mr coogan would stay far away from hollywood

So glad to see him do what hes good at again. Really pulls of the character imo the therapy sessions in the beginning of each ep are probably my fav parts
"Fuck, fuck, fuck, / Mother, mother fuck, / Mother, mother fuck, fuck / Mother fuck, mother fuck, / Noich noich noich, / 1, 2, 1, 2, 3, 4, / Noich, noich noich / Smokin' weed, smokin' wizz, / Doin' coke, drinkin' beers, / Drinkin' beers, beers, beers, / Rollin' fattys, smokin' blunts, / Who smokes the blunts? / We smoke the blunts."

"Just remember when you control the mail you control....information!"

gina green

« Reply #55 on: Jul 20, 2006, 08:14 AM »
I never saw the League of Gentlemen movie as I was abroad, I wondered whether it lived up to the TV show. Oh dear, I don't know whether to watch it or not!

i think i only hated the film so much because i loved the tv series so was expecting sommat amazing and just disappointed myself! i'm sure if i saw it again with a bit more of an open mind it'd be pretty funny... you gotta give it a blast aint ya!

Chinese Dinosaur

• Location: Republic of Liverpool European Capital of Culture 2008)
« Reply #56 on: Jul 20, 2006, 11:36 AM »
The Office is class, but does anyone remember Operation Good Guys?
It was the fore runner of the docu-comedy following a bunch of inept police officers carrying out their duties with hilarious results......Better than The Thin Blue Line in my opinion.

Other comedies I don't think have been mentioned but are worth a look are;

Gimme Gimme Gimme
Rab C Nesbitt
Naked Video
Coupling (Britain's answer to "Friends")
Early Doors (same writers as The Royle Family)
One Foot in the Grave
"B.C.?? I know Vancouver's the capital!" "Before Christ?? I wasn't around then, don't know anythin' aboot it!"
Hope I don't run into the Samsquanch!

Dirty Dancin

« Reply #57 on: Jul 20, 2006, 11:49 AM »
Other comedies I don't think have been mentioned but are worth a look are;

Gimme Gimme Gimme
Rab C Nesbitt
Naked Video
Coupling (Britain's answer to "Friends")
Early Doors (same writers as The Royle Family)
One Foot in the Grave

Funny you should mention One Foot in the Grave. That was the running joke on the episode of Father Ted I watched last night.  "I don't believe it." :D
« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2006, 11:52 AM by Dirty Dancin »
"It doesn't hurt to do something absolutely outrageous."

gina green

« Reply #58 on: Jul 21, 2006, 10:56 AM »
yeah... early doors is excellent, chinese dino!! have we mentioned "THAT PETER KAY THING"? probably the best thing he's done... almost prefer it to "PHEONIX NIGHTS" and i love that!
also someone reminded me about "MARION AND JEFF" with rob brydon (the welsh dude) i just happened to turn over one day and saw this "documentary". couldn't work out if it was real or not for a while. i guess that's what people must think when they turn over to the park!!!

Chinese Dinosaur

« Reply #59 on: Jul 24, 2006, 06:15 PM »
"That Peter Kay Thing" was superb.
My fave was the Ice cream man.....Mr Softy I think......Called his rival (the italian) Mr Woppy!!  :lol: He went off his head when he ran out of ice cream....shut the window of his van and hurled the wafers everywhere!! Class!! ;)
"B.C.?? I know Vancouver's the capital!" "Before Christ?? I wasn't around then, don't know anythin' aboot it!"

monkeon

• www.monkeon.tk
« Reply #60 on: Jul 25, 2006, 05:03 AM »
"That Peter Kay Thing" was superb.
My fave was the Ice cream man.....Mr Softy I think......Called his rival (the italian) Mr Woppy!!  :lol: He went off his head when he ran out of ice cream....shut the window of his van and hurled the wafers everywhere!! Class!! ;)

He also had a sideline in 'exotic' videos  :lol:

Mr. Lahey: Birds of a shitfeather flock together, Randy.
QUOTE GENEROUSLY SUPPLIED BY THE KING OF BELGIUM DJET3K[/b] WHO IS FAKKIN' SHITTASTIC

gina green

« Reply #61 on: Jul 25, 2006, 09:18 AM »
yeah they were all so good... would be hard to pick a fave but  that one's right up there. the brian potter one was excellent too. after that and pheonix nights i was really disappointed with "Max and Paddy"... does anyone else agree?

also i keep thinking of more (i'm sorry!):

Monkey Dust - really dark animations. it was on bbc2 in the autumn i think. there have been 2 series and i really hope there's a third!

The Mark Thomas Comedy Product - PLEASE let someone else remember this!! this guy is a genius... he finds loopholes in the law that allow people to get away with crazy shit and totally exploits them. even though it's mainly politically based, you don't have to understand politics to find it funny. check it out!!! (there was a dispatches docu about the firearms trade in ireland recently that he headed and he's just written a book about this.)

Chinese Dinosaur

« Reply #62 on: Jul 25, 2006, 12:26 PM »
Saw Mark Thomas at the Rawhide comedy club in Liverpool.
He was political but very funny with it. He shared the bill with Rob Newman who was VERY political, and while his stuff was cleverly thought through I couldn't help but yearn for the days he partnered David Baddeil on The Mary Whitehouse Experience.
Their old University Professors acting like school kids was top class! ("See that small sticky thing that you gat on the bottom of your shoe sometimes?" "I am aware of the substance in question" ".......That's YOU that is."   :lol:

gina green

« Reply #63 on: Sep 18, 2006, 01:53 PM »
anyone watching the new series of extras?
and that new mitchel and webb thing? (the dudes outa peep show)

thought extras was pretty funny but only saw the last half and missed the repeat (what a nob). that mitchel and web thing coulda been a bit better imo but bits were ok. what d'ya reckon??

Djet3k

• My Myspace
« Reply #64 on: Sep 18, 2006, 05:08 PM »
ah need to check that mitchel show and yes i saw the new extras, probebly the first time i enjoyed watching orlando bloom, really cracked up during his scenes
"Fuck, fuck, fuck, / Mother, mother fuck, / Mother, mother fuck, fuck / Mother fuck, mother fuck, / Noich noich noich, / 1, 2, 1, 2, 3, 4, / Noich, noich noich / Smokin' weed, smokin' wizz, / Doin' coke, drinkin' beers, / Drinkin' beers, beers, beers, / Rollin' fattys, smokin' blunts, / Who smokes the blunts? / We smoke the blunts."

"Just remember when you control the mail you control....information!"

Sunnyvale Shrimp

« Reply #65 on: Sep 20, 2006, 03:14 PM »
I thought extras was great the other night, alot better than the first series so far IMO.

cheggers made me laugh for the first time ever, good to see him finally subdued..!!

hashdriveway

British shows
« Reply #66 on: Apr 03, 2012, 08:23 PM »
Man, I've been getting into alot of british shows lately. Really like Spaced and Black Books

Refuckulator

• Matt's Design Portfolio
Re: British shows
« Reply #67 on: Apr 03, 2012, 09:43 PM »
I'm a huge Merchant, Pilkington and Gervais fan. Love 'An Idiot Abroad', 'Life's Too Short', 'The Office', 'The Ricky Gervais Show', quite excited for 'Derek' and getting to see Pilkington act. Didn't really like Extras all that much. Mind you, haven't seen much of it.

Quite like Little Britain too. Americanized and british versions.

Follow me: @MattRichBedard

JimLahey

• ALKO
« Reply #68 on: Apr 04, 2012, 03:53 AM »
The Fast Show = CLASSIC. Pretty much the A in the ABC of modern Britcom.

The Fast Show - Heroin

"Randy, I've decided to lay off the food for a bit, and go on the booze."

hashdriveway

« Reply #69 on: Apr 07, 2012, 12:39 PM »
Good stuff guys. Im gonna check it out

JimLahey

• ALKO
« Reply #70 on: Apr 12, 2012, 08:14 AM »
Also, don't forget Big Train:

Ritz to the Titz - Big Train

English Bastard

« Reply #71 on: Apr 12, 2012, 09:51 AM »
Facejacker can be funny at times  :beermug:
You probably all herd that I was fired as Supervale of theSunnyparks department it's not true I quit

Tiggy Puddin

« Reply #72 on: Apr 12, 2012, 11:06 AM »
The UK is great for comedy. The Fast Show was "brilliant!", lol, they recently did some online-only shows (probably not available to non-UK people, but there are ways and means).

I was a huge fan of Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer, Big Night Out was essential viewing when I was at school. Very surreal and messed-up. I wasn't so keen on Shooting Stars, but it's worth a look (and gave Matt Lucas his big break). If you like Little Britain look out for Rock Profiles too, that was funnier IMHO.

The Inbetweeners is hilarious. Peep Show is good. Mighty Boosh of course. League of Gentlemen is one of the best shows ever made... the list goes on!

It's a shame Canadian broadcasters don't hold the comedy genre in such high regard, it's becoming a national disgrace.  :roll:

JimLahey

• ALKO
« Reply #73 on: Apr 13, 2012, 07:39 PM »
Tiggy Knows. Lots.  :beermug:

I was not impressed by Inbetweeners... just did not click. Same with, whatsitsname... Spaced? I thought it was terrible.

Let's see what I can add. Actually quite hard since Fast Show drains + drops me on the floor every time. I loved it since day 1.

The Comic Strip (most of their stuff tbh, but especially the ½ hour bits like "A Fistful of Travellers Cheques" or the somewhat longer "Mr Jolly Lives Next Door" - which to me is the epitome of everything BRILLIANT in UK comedy. Unbeatable.)
OBV leading to
Bottom
and
The Dangerous Brothers (for hardcore fans only)
Let's not forget Absolutely Fabulous, ever!
And since you mention Little Britain, yeah, on/off, but lots of brilliance there. I love the handicapped guy. "I don't like eeet."

Come Fly With Me (for fans of Little Britain and/or to anyone who ever flew with RyanAir or EasyJet et al, really)
IT Crowd (to any nerd or anyone who ever worked in an "IT" environment, this is a must)

I dunno, so many. I forget many too. Need to drop the obvious ones... but like Ideal is AWESOME and I had never heard of it since maybe last year (I am an eskimo and I live in a cave, ya I know).

I am drunk and it's 3am. My DVD shelf looks like it's gonna attack me.

More rum & coke!
« Last Edit: Apr 13, 2012, 07:59 PM by JimLahey »

JimLahey

• ALKO
« Reply #74 on: Apr 13, 2012, 08:07 PM »
Internet is free, so here is Rowley Birkin.

I love him. The sonar he does is... uncanny?

The Fast Show Rowley Birkin QC Very Drunk