Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: British shows  (Read 21175 times)

Dirty Dancin

Re: uk comedy.....
« Reply #25 on: Feb 13, 2006, 01:25 PM »
I saw Peepshow for the very first time on Saturday. Enjoyed it so much I watched the whole of Season 1 over the course of an afternoon. Bloody hilarious!!!!!!

Mark Corrigan: "I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, kicked a dog to death, and I'm about to pepper spray an acquaintance... I mean, what's happened to me?"

Mark Corrigan: "Life's all pain. Pain, gloom and misery... Hey, 33% extra free. I am doing excellent shopping. My depressed state of mind means being even more frugal than usual."

Jeremy Osborne: "Stop pissing on my bonfire."
Mark Corrigan: "There is no bonfire!"
Jeremy Osborne: "That's because you keep pissing on it!"
« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2006, 01:35 PM by Dirty Dancin »
"It doesn't hurt to do something absolutely outrageous."

StoneChimes

« Reply #26 on: Feb 13, 2006, 10:53 PM »
"How ya diddlin'!!"

Does anyone perhaps remember The All New Alexei Sayle Show?? And Alexei Sayle's Stuff? Very funny.. but I can't remember the bulk of the sketches. Hoping it's on DVD somewhere.

I remember a sketch called "The League of Hirsuit Gentlemen" about a secret cabal of men who each have a different type of hairiness. Muttonchops was my favourite.

And 'Drunk In Time' about a man who is sent by the government to travel through time pissed out of his skull.

"Who was that fat bastard?"

[attachment deleted by admin]
“It’s funny that pirates were always going around searching for treasure, and they never realized that the real treasure was the fond memories they were creating.”
—Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

Djet3k

• My Myspace
« Reply #27 on: Feb 14, 2006, 03:10 AM »
"How ya diddlin'!!"

Does anyone perhaps remember The All New Alexei Sayle Show?? And Alexei Sayle's Stuff? Very funny.. but I can't remember the bulk of the sketches. Hoping it's on DVD somewhere.

I remember a sketch called "The League of Hirsuit Gentlemen" about a secret cabal of men who each have a different type of hairiness. Muttonchops was my favourite.

And 'Drunk In Time' about a man who is sent by the government to travel through time pissed out of his skull.

Shit havent seen it

there a 9 disc comic strip dvd box in the uk that has alot of his stuff on it , deffently has one of his classic stand up acts on the extras disc

And YAY Glad You enjoyed Peep Show DD' Deffently one of the better Bri'ish buddy/roomate comedy show in ages, Bloody brilliant!
« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2006, 03:13 AM by Djet3k »
"Fuck, fuck, fuck, / Mother, mother fuck, / Mother, mother fuck, fuck / Mother fuck, mother fuck, / Noich noich noich, / 1, 2, 1, 2, 3, 4, / Noich, noich noich / Smokin' weed, smokin' wizz, / Doin' coke, drinkin' beers, / Drinkin' beers, beers, beers, / Rollin' fattys, smokin' blunts, / Who smokes the blunts? / We smoke the blunts."

"Just remember when you control the mail you control....information!"

StoneChimes

« Reply #28 on: Feb 14, 2006, 03:28 AM »
Shit havent seen it

there a 9 disc comic strip dvd box in the uk that has alot of his stuff on it , deffently has one of his classic stand up acts on the extras disc

Cool D-Money, Its written mainly written by Graham Linehan and Arthur Mathews - the same people involved in Father Ted, Black Books (which I like, but much less than Father Ted) and Big Train which I mentioned before.
“It’s funny that pirates were always going around searching for treasure, and they never realized that the real treasure was the fond memories they were creating.”
—Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

SaraSteel

« Reply #29 on: Feb 14, 2006, 05:45 AM »
I also like the hypnotist from Little Britain... "look into my eyes, not around the eyes, the eyes, the eyes..." 

I took a quick look and didn't see anyone mention the Young Ones... I used to love that one way back when.. do they ever re-run it?

HAHAHAHAHA I haven't stopped laughin.. "Look into my eyes not around the eyes, the eyes the eyes" you know who we have forgotten.. Daved... (or however you spell it) The only Gay in the villege :P

If I caN't SmOkE & SwEaR.... I'M fU(kED

irish

« Reply #30 on: Feb 14, 2006, 08:05 PM »
wow didn't realise little britain was everywhere or is it jusy austrailia? is so funny but last series wasn't so good think they took somethings a little too far altho vicky pollard is always a classic

Sunnyvale Shrimp

« Reply #31 on: Feb 15, 2006, 10:40 AM »
wow didn't realise little britain was everywhere or is it jusy austrailia? is so funny but last series wasn't so good think they took somethings a little too far altho vicky pollard is always a classic

I agree the third series wasnt up to much... they should of stopped at 12 episodes
  has anyone mentioned shooting stars, the two ronnies, morecambe and wise, oh and faulty towers... im proberbly repeatin 'em but what the hey they deserve a second mention..!!

Melba the Disco Queen

« Reply #32 on: Feb 15, 2006, 12:23 PM »
I think every British show I like has already been listed: Blackadder, Little Britain, Mr Bean, Monty Python, Fawlty Towers, Are You Being Served?, Benny Hill.
Has anyone mentioned French & Saunders yet? I've recently been introduced to them & think they're pretty funny, I really like their film parodies.
'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie, Black Adder

DavidB_Bubbles

• Location: Hiding in my shed from a Samsquanch Monster, Salem, Oregon, U.S.A.
« Reply #33 on: Feb 24, 2006, 11:58 PM »
I saw Peepshow for the very first time on Saturday.  Bloody hilarious!!!!!!

I just finished watching a mini-marathon of Peep Show on BBC America for the first time tonight  :lol: Bloody Hilarious is right Dirty Dancin' Great stuff  :beeer:

Bailey

« Reply #34 on: Feb 25, 2006, 04:58 AM »
"How ya diddlin'!!"

haha, good call stoney, The Fat Bastard is classic.   :irishtoast:

The young ones was def what got me into uk humour early, i love that silly humou.

Djet3k

• My Myspace
« Reply #35 on: Feb 25, 2006, 06:54 AM »
I saw Peepshow for the very first time on Saturday.  Bloody hilarious!!!!!!

I just finished watching a mini-marathon of Peep Show on BBC America for the first time tonight  :lol: Bloody Hilarious is right Dirty Dancin' Great stuff  :beeer:

YAY bloody swastika love all around the world!

Peep show is deffently one of my fav new britcoms hope others will be able to catch up on it like mr.David.Bandit just did
"Fuck, fuck, fuck, / Mother, mother fuck, / Mother, mother fuck, fuck / Mother fuck, mother fuck, / Noich noich noich, / 1, 2, 1, 2, 3, 4, / Noich, noich noich / Smokin' weed, smokin' wizz, / Doin' coke, drinkin' beers, / Drinkin' beers, beers, beers, / Rollin' fattys, smokin' blunts, / Who smokes the blunts? / We smoke the blunts."

petermog

• Location: Steak Night With The Lads! Derby UK-Me Sat First Left
« Reply #36 on: Feb 26, 2006, 03:36 PM »
"How ya diddlin'!!"

He was interviewed on BBC Radio2 a few days ago by Stuart Maconie covering Johnnie Walker's show.  If you are quick you will be able to use the listen again feature and hear it on line via their web site.  I am sure it was Thursday night at about 6ish UK time.

Try this link-it may not work, otherwise go on bbc.co.uk/radio and find Johnnie Walkers home page.  It is worth the effort.  It was a great interview.

www.bbc.co.uk/radio/noscript.shtml?/radio/aod/radio2 aod.shtml?radio2/r2 walker thu

good luck

Just tried it-sort of works.  When you click on the link, choose radio 2 shows from the list then scroll down to Johnnie Walker and his Thursday show.  It should then start playing.  you can fast forward to Alexei by using the 5minute/15minute buttons at the top, and the interview is 1hour 20 minutes into the show, with a Rush song (spirit of radio) at the 1hr point, worth a listen. It needs to be done before Thursday 2nd March show though as it will over wipe it.
« Last Edit: Feb 26, 2006, 04:02 PM by petermog »
I'm Not The Kinda Person To Say ATOWDASO But You Know What?  ATOWDASO! I Fuckin' ATOWDASO!

gina green

« Reply #37 on: Jul 01, 2006, 05:10 AM »
love loads of the ones mentioned... spaced, peep show, smoking room etc but got a few more to add...

Garth Marenghi's Dark Place
League of Gentlemen
15 Stories High
Brass Eye and The Day Today
Nathan Barley

sorry if i've repeated any but i think these are all excellent ones!

monkeon

• www.monkeon.tk
« Reply #38 on: Jul 05, 2006, 11:43 AM »

Dark Place was one of the funniest things I saw last year, I wonder if its made it accross the pond yet.
They are making a new series with the head of the hospital having his own chat show!!!!

Mr. Lahey: Birds of a shitfeather flock together, Randy.
QUOTE GENEROUSLY SUPPLIED BY THE KING OF BELGIUM DJET3K[/b] WHO IS FAKKIN' SHITTASTIC

gina green

« Reply #39 on: Jul 07, 2006, 10:17 AM »

Dark Place was one of the funniest things I saw last year, I wonder if its made it accross the pond yet.
They are making a new series with the head of the hospital having his own chat show!!!!

wow great! i will look out for that because it was one of the most original comedies i'd seen for ages. dunno if it would have made it out the uk... we must spread the word!

monkeon

• www.monkeon.tk
« Reply #40 on: Jul 07, 2006, 10:27 AM »
They have a website its a great site: www.garthmarenghi.com
I can't wait for the DVD to come out  :D

Mr. Lahey: Birds of a shitfeather flock together, Randy.
QUOTE GENEROUSLY SUPPLIED BY THE KING OF BELGIUM DJET3K[/b] WHO IS FAKKIN' SHITTASTIC

Becca

« Reply #41 on: Jul 07, 2006, 12:52 PM »
Another series from 1999 that is much more subtle, but brilliantly funny is Mrs. Merton & Malcolm.
Caroline Aherne and Craig Cash both star and write (written also by Henry Normal) in this show about a woman and her 37 year old live at home son. Mrs Merton has emotionally stunted Malcolm to be just like a 9 or 10 year old boy and the tragedy of it brings out some really deeply black humour about co-dependency i guess, but it's held together with a very funny narrative and some great peripheral characters. This is the same group of people that wrote, produced and acted some of the roles in The Royle Family. Was that ever aired in Canada? If it wasn't I hope it will be. The extreme attention to detail in the mundane aspects of life and lack of a laugh-track are a feature of both these shows and lend the fly-on-the-wall, 'mockumentary' feel we all love (like TPB!). I'm sick of the word 'mockumentary' though. I propose a 'mockumentary' moratorium.

I haven't seen this thread til now.

Oh, SC, The Royle Family is frickin' Comedy Gold!!  Jim Royle is a lazy-arse, neanderthal hypocrite.  He reminds me of my dad iff'n dear ol' Pappy ever grew a beard and wore stripes, heh.

I'd love to have Denise's life:  Sit on my ass and watch TV all day only to have my hard working dullard of a husband come home to shuffle us off to the parents' house for a free meal and drinky-poos in between.  Of course, I'd do without the ciggies - I feel my lungs aching just watching the amount Denise and her Mum smoke!

Cheers,
B.
It's Teeeeeeeeee-shirt time! CAB'S HERE, CAB'S HERE!  I think we have a Situation.

sohcahtoa

« Reply #42 on: Jul 07, 2006, 02:14 PM »
I love British comedy myself. Classics like Mr.Bean and Black Adder are always good(I've been meaning to add them to my DVD collection lately) but my personal favorites are the ones I used to watch on PBS every night for about 5 years during high school. Are You Being Served? and Keeping Up Appearances. God I love those shows. I'm definatley gonna buy Are You Being Served:The Complete Series when I get a decent paying job and have the money for it.
"Just cus' her dad's a bit of a fuckup, pardon my language in front of all these kids."

Becca

« Reply #43 on: Jul 07, 2006, 02:38 PM »
You have great taste, sohcahtoa.  I have the box set of "Are You Being Served" and I never tire of hearing about Mrs. Slocombe and her pussy, heh.  :sleepykitty:  ;)

Cheers,
B.
It's Teeeeeeeeee-shirt time! CAB'S HERE, CAB'S HERE!  I think we have a Situation.

Sunnyvale Shrimp

« Reply #44 on: Jul 07, 2006, 02:39 PM »
love loads of the ones mentioned... spaced, peep show, smoking room etc but got a few more to add...

League of Gentlemen
15 Stories High
Brass Eye and The Day Today
Nathan Barley

sorry if i've repeated any but i think these are all excellent ones!

jees... i didnt think anyone had seen 15 stories high that show 'was' great, i thought that was just a show i stummbled across in the wee hours of the morning which noone else would be watchin lol

sohcahtoa

« Reply #45 on: Jul 07, 2006, 04:18 PM »
You have great taste, sohcahtoa.  I have the box set of "Are You Being Served" and I never tire of hearing about Mrs. Slocombe and her pussy, heh.  :sleepykitty:  ;)

Cheers,
B.

Why thank you, but personally, my favorite character has to be Mr.Humphries, his antics are always hilariously gay.

Oh and on my previous post I forgot to give a shout out to another of my favorite british comedies, well one of my favorite shows in general. Red Dwarf. That's another one I'll have to buy on DVD when I have the money. Does anyone know anything about a Red Dwarf movie? One of my friends mentioned it to me and then said that it was never made or something like that?

Oh, and I gotta give a shout out to Chef, another great British comedy. Holy...I watch more of this comedy than I thought I did.  :lol:
« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2006, 04:20 PM by sohcahtoa »
"Just cus' her dad's a bit of a fuckup, pardon my language in front of all these kids."

Tiggy Puddin

« Reply #46 on: Jul 11, 2006, 10:56 AM »
The League of Gentlemen was pure genius. The best thing since Father Ted, which was the best thing since Blackadder II.  I think I remember Absolutely - was that the show featuring Stonybridge, with its dreadful local councillors?

I used to live next door to the guy in the Catherine Tate show (the one in the swearing grandmother sketch).  Oh yes, me and the stars!

gina green

« Reply #47 on: Jul 11, 2006, 11:24 AM »

jees... i didnt think anyone had seen 15 stories high that show 'was' great, i thought that was just a show i stummbled across in the wee hours of the morning which noone else would be watchin lol

yeah that's how i first came across it actually!! you can get atleast the first series on dvd and they are all so funny. errol is such a good character... have you seen the one where he cuts himself and keeps using nicotine patches as plasters?? classic!

gina green

« Reply #48 on: Jul 11, 2006, 11:32 AM »
The League of Gentlemen was pure genius.

i LOVED the league and it kept getting darker and better each series. got well excited when i found out they were doing a film... went to see it at the cinema and was so disappointed... absolute tosh compared to their tv show  :(

Djet3k

• My Myspace
« Reply #49 on: Jul 11, 2006, 11:47 AM »
too each his own i geuss i actually first watched season two and never really got into to it till i saw the bloody dam hilarious movie! made me watch and enjoy s1-3 dark and absurd like fuck! sure is nothing like that kind of greatness on tv! or is there?

i hope everyones local round here or well have to take you to the butchershop :)