Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: British shows  (Read 21149 times)

DavidB_Bubbles

• Location: Hiding in my shed from a Samsquanch Monster, Salem, Oregon, U.S.A.
Re: British shows
« Reply #100 on: Jan 21, 2013, 04:00 PM »
For the past week to ten days I have been watching a show called "Still Game".  It's about two widowed Scottish pensioners living in a Scottish suburb of Glasgow. The show is hilarious.  I am on series 3 already.  I guess when the show originally aired on BBC Scotland they didn't think anyone else would get the Scottish humor.  But once word got out, it was broadcast on one of the BBC channels and it was a hit in the U.K. as well.  Simple humor but lots of laughs throughout.. Here is a example of the banter between them and the local bartender at the pub called The Clansman..
Still Game - Bar Banter

English Bastard

« Reply #101 on: Jan 23, 2013, 10:29 AM »
Good to hear your enjoying Still Game, great show pitty the two of them don't get on anymore and wont make anymore shows  :beermug:
You probably all herd that I was fired as Supervale of theSunnyparks department it's not true I quit

DavidB_Bubbles

« Reply #102 on: Jan 23, 2013, 12:18 PM »
Yeah I read somewhere that they do not get along anymore for some reason.  Too bad the, show has a great cast as well.  Hilarious characters... I just finished up series 4 last night including a Christmas special.  One more Christmas show added to my rotation  :beermug:

the wolf who cried boy

« Reply #103 on: Jan 30, 2013, 08:14 PM »
First time poster here love TPB anyway am surprised nobody has mentioned Blackadder, as it has to be one of the best shows from the UK in my lifetime.  Rowan Atkinson makes this show his own but he is supported by the likes of Hugh Laurie, Tim Mcinnery, Miranda Richardson and Stephen Fry.

shake

« Reply #104 on: Jan 30, 2013, 09:43 PM »
Welcome to the Org wolf.  Good point, actually there was an existing thread about British TV I will merge them now.  Blackadder and many other good shows were mentioned in the earlier thread.
« Last Edit: Jan 30, 2013, 09:51 PM by shake »

DavidB_Bubbles

« Reply #105 on: Feb 06, 2013, 02:22 AM »
Anyone here every seen the show Benidorm ? I noticed that Johnny Vegas from Ideal fame is in it. 

Don't expect too much from that show David  :beermug:

I finally watched the first episode of Benidorm tonight and Meh you are right EB.  I may watch an episode or two just to see if it picks up.  But it was a long 22 minutes  :P  I did watch the entire series of Chewin' The Fat though and really enjoyed it.  For those who do not know.  Chewin' The Fat is a Scottish sketch comedy show from the creators of Still Game.  Chewin' The Fat was first then came Still Game based on two characters from Chewin' The Fat.  Really funny shows.  Scottish comedy at it's best  :beermug:

Jarska

« Reply #106 on: Feb 15, 2013, 02:54 PM »
Top Gear  :perv1:
"Holy fuck, purple squirrels!"

golfinwithflames

« Reply #107 on: Feb 15, 2013, 05:09 PM »
Just saw the episode of Black Books that guest starred Johnny Vegas as a lecherous apartment manager. It's difficult to not laugh through every minute of this hilarious show and the ridiculous situations that the characters get into.
Has anyone else gotten into Snuff Box? Another ridiculously funny one.

Bench Song

DavidB_Bubbles

« Reply #108 on: Feb 16, 2013, 12:44 AM »

I just watched the first episode of Snuff Box tonight.  Hilarious, looks like there's only 6 episodes total.  Too bad  :(  Liked the fact that Matt Berry from The IT Crowd is in Snuff Box  :lol:

Noam Sayin

« Reply #109 on: Feb 16, 2013, 12:20 PM »

I just watched the first episode of Snuff Box tonight.  Hilarious, looks like there's only 6 episodes total.  Too bad  :(  Liked the fact that Matt Berry from The IT Crowd is in Snuff Box  :lol:

Matt Berry is hi-larious!!
"Barb, yer scalloped potatoes are fucked!"

fletcherrhoden

• Fletcher Rhoden
« Reply #110 on: Apr 16, 2013, 05:08 PM »
My boys Mitchell & Webb are doing a new series about 2 diplomats.  Their track record is outstanding, so I'll bet this one's gonna be great.

golfinwithflames

« Reply #111 on: Aug 19, 2013, 08:39 PM »
I don't know if anyone has mentioned Mrs. Brown's Boys yet, but if they have, I'll re-iterate; you have to check this out! I can imagine Bubbs as the lead character. And if you let it, it'll reveal many of the aspects of TPB, from the hilarious use of swearing, questionable career choices to the family warmth you get from our boys and the gang.

Mrs Browns Boys

fletcherrhoden

• Fletcher Rhoden
« Reply #112 on: Aug 19, 2013, 11:24 PM »
I just got through all four series of THE I.T. CROWD -- thought it was a terrible waste of talent and awful writing.  There's an American pilot, basically a shot-for-shot remake of the British pilot, which featured COMMUNITY'S Joel MacHale, which wasn't any better.  The girl in the British version is likable, and she's in WHITES, the much better British sitcom.

MTpromises

« Reply #113 on: Aug 31, 2013, 03:43 PM »
Whites was terrible... the one funny bit was [spoiler]the su chef rocking out to Kiss - God Gave Rock n Roll to Us from Bill N Ted 2... [/spoiler]which is like the worst song ever written by anyone ever.

IT Crowd has some mixed episodes (mostly in the 1st series)... but Gay the Musical, the Italian Translator and the DnD episode are top of the line.

fletcherrhoden

• Fletcher Rhoden
« Reply #114 on: Sep 03, 2013, 03:31 PM »
MT -- I disagree.  Whites may have been only so-so, but the writing was a lot sharper than IT CROWD, the dialogue was a lot more crisp and intelligent.  As for the gay musical, DnD and other IT CROWD eps, I found those two eps very predictable -- turns out the guys she's dating... is gay!  And so are stage musicals!  And when the new clients turn out to be DnD fans, the I.T. nerds pull out all the stops... really stale and crappy.  The I.T. Crowd did improve slightly over its four series, with some bright moments, but way too few.  And the gags that some would call their greatest hits go on for so long -- you can see them coming a mile away, and then they just go on and on, endlessly scrambling for laughs... Chris O'Dowd deserves better, glad he's finding it.

golfinwithflames

« Reply #115 on: Oct 05, 2013, 11:54 AM »
Here is the finale of one of the funniest, most clever and addictive sitcoms ever to be shown on any tv (despite what our resident expert says  :P)

I.T. Crowd: The Last Byte

The IT Crowd The Last Byte

DavidB_Bubbles

« Reply #116 on: Oct 05, 2013, 11:58 AM »
Yep watched that last night.. Brilliant.. IT Crowd = great show.  Hilarious..