Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: British shows  (Read 21571 times)

banjaxd

British shows
« on: Feb 09, 2006, 01:49 PM »
holler at y'all....

being a huge fan of comedy and being from ole blighty here is a list of some top uk shows....feel free to add to it...

the fast show........the office.....blackadder.....catherine tate.......the mighty boosh....little britain.....red dwarf.......coupling.......max and paddy...pheonix nights.......the new statesman...yes minister/prime minister......the mary whitehouse experience......extras.....ab fab.....

there are loads more but i gow forgetful

Djet3k

• My Myspace
Re: uk comedy.....
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2006, 02:04 PM »
holler at y'all....

being a huge fan of comedy and being from ole blighty here is a list of some top uk shows....feel free to add to it...

the fast show........the office.....blackadder.....catherine tate.......the mighty boosh....little britain.....red dwarf.......coupling.......max and paddy...pheonix nights.......the new statesman...yes minister/prime minister......the mary whitehouse experience......extras.....ab fab.....

there are loads more but i gow forgetful

peep show
spaced
im with allan partridge
people like us
black books
the comic strip presents
young ones
bottom
Ali G
Trigger Happy TV
the thin blue line
Drop the Dead Donkey
Micheal Palin Travel Series
the smoking room

« Last Edit: Feb 15, 2006, 12:39 PM by Djet3k »
"Fuck, fuck, fuck, / Mother, mother fuck, / Mother, mother fuck, fuck / Mother fuck, mother fuck, / Noich noich noich, / 1, 2, 1, 2, 3, 4, / Noich, noich noich / Smokin' weed, smokin' wizz, / Doin' coke, drinkin' beers, / Drinkin' beers, beers, beers, / Rollin' fattys, smokin' blunts, / Who smokes the blunts? / We smoke the blunts."

"Just remember when you control the mail you control....information!"

Dirty Dancin

« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2006, 02:41 PM »
As a lover of all things British, especially British comedy...I feel compelled to hug you both.  :hugs:  :cuddle:

Keeping Up Appearances

Are You Being Served?

Jeeves and Wooster

The Benny Hill Show

Mr Bean

Vicar of Dibley

« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2006, 02:54 PM by Dirty Dancin »
"It doesn't hurt to do something absolutely outrageous."

DavidB_Bubbles

• Location: Hiding in my shed from a Samsquanch Monster, Salem, Oregon, U.S.A.
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2006, 02:45 PM »
I'm a lover of British Comedy myself, so Monty Python, Father Ted, and My Family

shake

« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2006, 02:45 PM »
Two of my favorite comedy shows of all-time are British.

Monty Python's Flying Circus
Fawlty Towers

Also was a huge fan of The Office and Ripping Yarns.

As for movies The Pink Panther movies and the Carry On series.
« Last Edit: Jan 30, 2013, 09:48 PM by shake »

Fishyneil

• Doritos commercial
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2006, 04:57 PM »
Did they ever make "Carry on Trailer Park?
I know they did carry on camping...funny shit. Sydney James is exactly like my grandad was.
Fishy
"So why would you care
To get out of this place
You and me and all our friends
Such a happy human race"

TPB FAQ's... http://www.trailerparkboys.org/forums/index.php?topic=6806.0

banjaxd

« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2006, 05:09 PM »
i forgot some of those...

peep show is funny as....
the young ones was another classic....
of course there is only fools and horses too

Fishyneil

• Doritos commercial
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2006, 05:11 PM »
I quite enjoyed All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriott when I was younger. Loved the Yorkshire characters.
Fishy
"So why would you care
To get out of this place
Such a happy human race"

bigbenjamin

« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2006, 05:27 PM »
East Enders and HeartBeat . . and what is the one about a hospital, kinda like HeartBeat?

“Your highness, when I said that you are like a stream of bat's piss, I only mean that you shine out like a shaft of gold when all around it is dark” cheers!

Fishyneil

• Doritos commercial
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2006, 05:30 PM »
It was one of Shaws.
Fishy
"So why would you care
To get out of this place
Such a happy human race"

Bailey

« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2006, 06:03 PM »
Lots of great ones already listed, was a huge fan of thin blue line, there's also Men behaving badly, red dwarf, and that one Rimmer is in where he's the owner operator of that gym, that was always funny, great characters. The Goodies etc

Fishyneil

• Doritos commercial
« Reply #11 on: Feb 09, 2006, 06:10 PM »
I also used to enjoy The Magic Roundabout as a kiddy winkles. It's a kid show/comedy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Magic_Roundabout

Fishy
"So why would you care
To get out of this place
Such a happy human race"

bigbenjamin

« Reply #12 on: Feb 09, 2006, 06:15 PM »
I also used to enjoy The Magic Roundabout as a kiddy winkles. It's a kid show/comedy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Magic_Roundabout

Fishy

Oh fack, now I remember that - used to watch with my daughter who's made me a granddad 2 or 3 years ago! That was fun - you need kids as an excuse to watch the best stuff!

:lol: cheers!

DavidB_Bubbles

• Location: Hiding in my shed from a Samsquanch Monster, Salem, Oregon, U.S.A.
« Reply #13 on: Feb 09, 2006, 06:23 PM »
that one Rimmer is in where he's the owner operator of that gym, that was always funny, great characters.

Do you mean The Brittas Empire there Bailey  :lol: I agree that was a funny show. I also like Chef  :lol:

StoneChimes

« Reply #14 on: Feb 09, 2006, 07:10 PM »
The first series of the sketch comedy Big Train is funny, funny stuff. Brought to you by the same writers and producers who made the EXCELLENT Father Ted. I think it's from 1999 and it's probably one of the most underrated comedy show of the last 20 years.

Favourite sketches:

- The documentary of Prince, hunting down zebra in his natural habitat.
- The boss who has to break the news to his office employees that masturbation will no longer be tolerated during office hours.
- Jesus and Satan go into workplace negotiation.
- Ming the Merciless' home life.

CHortle! to the MAX!

[attachment deleted by admin]
“It’s funny that pirates were always going around searching for treasure, and they never realized that the real treasure was the fond memories they were creating.”
—Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

Bailey

« Reply #15 on: Feb 09, 2006, 09:41 PM »
that one Rimmer is in where he's the owner operator of that gym, that was always funny, great characters.

Do you mean The Brittas Empire there Bailey  :lol: I agree that was a funny show. I also like Chef  :lol:

Yeah lol, that's it, Chris Barrie or something like that.

Djet3k

• My Myspace
« Reply #16 on: Feb 10, 2006, 02:22 AM »
The first series of the sketch comedy Big Train is funny, funny stuff. Brought to you by the same writers and producers who made the EXCELLENT Father Ted. I think it's from 1999 and it's probably one of the most underrated comedy show of the last 20 years.

Favourite sketches:

- The documentary of Prince, hunting down zebra in his natural habitat.
- The boss who has to break the news to his office employees that masturbation will no longer be tolerated during office hours.
- Jesus and Satan go into workplace negotiation.
- Ming the Merciless' home life.

CHortle! to the MAX!

I was and still am waiting for the dvd set to get cheaper. IT will deffently a blind buy then.. Been a fan of all simon pegg comedy shows and this sure looks like classic scetch comedy indeed!
"Fuck, fuck, fuck, / Mother, mother fuck, / Mother, mother fuck, fuck / Mother fuck, mother fuck, / Noich noich noich, / 1, 2, 1, 2, 3, 4, / Noich, noich noich / Smokin' weed, smokin' wizz, / Doin' coke, drinkin' beers, / Drinkin' beers, beers, beers, / Rollin' fattys, smokin' blunts, / Who smokes the blunts? / We smoke the blunts."

StoneChimes

« Reply #17 on: Feb 10, 2006, 03:11 AM »
You'll definitely not be disappointed Djet.. Simon Pegg is brilliant in these sketches, but the other two guys are just about as good. I'm pretty sure this was Simon's first regular TV gig. The DVD has full coomentary from cast and production people. Julia Davis makes quite a few appearances in the first series as well! And she's the real deal IMHO. Plus I have a crush on her. I still think the first series is best... World Stareout Championships! classic.

And I just remembered as well.. re: my last post... It wasn't Zebra that Prince was hunting on the African plains... it was Jockeys!

Another series from 1999 that is much more subtle, but brilliantly funny is Mrs. Merton & Malcolm.
Caroline Aherne and Craig Cash both star and write (written also by Henry Normal) in this show about a woman and her 37 year old live at home son. Mrs Merton has emotionally stunted Malcolm to be just like a 9 or 10 year old boy and the tragedy of it brings out some really deeply black humour about co-dependency i guess, but it's held together with a very funny narrative and some great peripheral characters. This is the same group of people that wrote, produced and acted some of the roles in The Royle Family. Was that ever aired in Canada? If it wasn't I hope it will be. The extreme attention to detail in the mundane aspects of life and lack of a laugh-track are a feature of both these shows and lend the fly-on-the-wall, 'mockumentary' feel we all love (like TPB!). I'm sick of the word 'mockumentary' though. I propose a 'mockumentary' moratorium.

Look out for Steve Coogan as the Vicar. That dude is peerless... had to throw in a pic of Steve as Alan Partridge as well.  :D

[attachment deleted by admin]
“It’s funny that pirates were always going around searching for treasure, and they never realized that the real treasure was the fond memories they were creating.”
—Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

SaraSteel

« Reply #18 on: Feb 10, 2006, 05:31 AM »
Well... I'll go thru my little list... My Family.. Father  Ted.... Are you being Served, Monty Python, Mr. Bean.... CORONATION STREET.. ( although its not meant to be it is :P) And you all forgot the new one... and Stonemaster, I'm dissapointed in you LITTLE BRITAN!!! HELLLO I was like yeah and uh and yeh and uh SHUT UP...

See u soon guys
Lov
Sara

PS: Stoney...  I WANT THAT ONE

If I caN't SmOkE & SwEaR.... I'M fU(kED

Djet3k

• My Myspace
« Reply #19 on: Feb 10, 2006, 06:08 AM »
Well... I'll go thru my little list... My Family.. Father  Ted.... Are you being Served, Monty Python, Mr. Bean.... CORONATION STREET.. ( although its not meant to be it is :P) And you all forgot the new one... and Stonemaster, I'm dissapointed in you LITTLE BRITAN!!! HELLLO I was like yeah and uh and yeh and uh SHUT UP...

See u soon guys
Lov
Sara

PS: Stoney...  I WANT THAT ONE

Little britain is mentioned in the first post ;)

Bailey

« Reply #20 on: Feb 10, 2006, 07:02 AM »
I thought little britain was decent, if anyone has ever had to do work for the dole, that skit from that is spot on lol, "but i've got a job interview miss" lmao

4bz

• Rebel Reviewer Dot Com
« Reply #21 on: Feb 10, 2006, 10:11 AM »
I always go use that line on my wife from Little Britain.... Andy's  "I want that one" or "I don't like it"... she kills herself laughing every time.. if you dunno what I'm talking about, you gotta hear it!!  Had to be there I guess...

Rebel Reviewer Dot Com

SaraSteel

« Reply #22 on: Feb 10, 2006, 05:21 PM »
My apoligise, i searched everywhere for little brittan, and i THOUGHT no one mentioned it, but Stoney..... Im suprised you didnt after our convo the other day........... :P
And 4bz my boy does the same thing to me, "I don't like it, " and "  i wanna be a smurf " or he does the lady on the computer.
"Computer says no"

LMAO

If I caN't SmOkE & SwEaR.... I'M fU(kED

petermog

• Location: Steak Night With The Lads! Derby UK-Me Sat First Left
« Reply #23 on: Feb 12, 2006, 09:07 AM »
Does any UK org-er remember a Scottish comedy sketch show in the late eighties called 'Absolutely'?  They had a variety of characters that used to have me in stitches.  One couple were Welsh- Gwyneth and Denzil I think it was.  In one sketch she complains that he has forgotten her birthday but he just replies that 'How can I have forgotten your birthday, when I don't even know when it is!'  Loses a lot in translation!
I'm Not The Kinda Person To Say ATOWDASO But You Know What?  ATOWDASO! I Fuckin' ATOWDASO!

4bz

• Rebel Reviewer Dot Com
« Reply #24 on: Feb 12, 2006, 11:42 AM »
I also like the hypnotist from Little Britain... "look into my eyes, not around the eyes, the eyes, the eyes..." 

I took a quick look and didn't see anyone mention the Young Ones... I used to love that one way back when.. do they ever re-run it?
« Last Edit: Feb 12, 2006, 11:45 AM by 4bz »

Rebel Reviewer Dot Com