Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: O.T.: Prince Of Pot Pinched  (Read 4341 times)

bigbenjamin

O.T.: Prince Of Pot Pinched
« on: Aug 28, 2004, 09:59 PM »
Found this in current issue of NOW magazine - (remember Pot-TV clip showing Ricky & the Boys pulling on that bong in the B.C. head shop with Marc Emery?) - Pretty rough justice or what?

Prince of pot pinched
If you think you can't go to jail for one joint, think again. BC Marijuana Party head and self-proclaimed Prince of Pot Marc Emery has been handed a shocking three-month jail sentence by a Saskatchewan judge. Technically, Emery was found guilty of trafficking. In reality, his transgression was passing a joint. Emery's supporters have begun sending e-mails to Justice Minister Irwin Cotler urging him to overturn the decision. Cotler calls himself a human rights activist. Now's his chance to prove it by freeing Emery – and tabling a decrim bill that's for real.

Saucy Bastard

« Reply #1 on: Aug 29, 2004, 12:31 AM »
Thats last weeks news out here on the West Coast, where it was a top news story for a few days.I've met the guy a few times as he has a part time residence here on the Sunshine Coast.I respect what he has done to educate the general public ,but it was inevitable that one of his publicity stunts would lead to this.It doasn't help that most lawmakers/enforcers  hate him for the millions that he has made from selling seeds.
"Why not go out on a limb? That's where the fruit is." --Will Rogers
"Get off that limb , that's where all the nuts are!" --Mrs. Saucy

-Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice?

bigbenjamin

« Reply #2 on: Aug 29, 2004, 12:43 AM »
Quote from: saucy bastard
Thats last weeks news out here on the West Coast, where it was a top news story for a few days.I've met the guy a few times as he has a part time residence here on the Sunshine Coast.I respect what he has done to educate the general public ,but it was inevitable that one of his publicity stunts would lead to this.It doasn't help that most lawmakers/enforcers  hate him for the millions that he has made from selling seeds.

Yes, Marc Emery has made himself visible to support the position that marijuana should be completely legal. The brother deserves our support. He has not become rich from "seeds". What a friggin cynical age we live in! :cry:

cat-dog

« Reply #3 on: Aug 29, 2004, 03:25 AM »
Quote from: bigbenjamin

Yes, Marc Emery has made himself visible to support the position that marijuana should be completely legal. The brother deserves our support. He has not become rich from "seeds". What a friggin cynical age we live in! :cry:

$100-300 for 10 seeds sounds like something that might make someone rich :) but i agree he does deserve our support, a living breathing pot pioneer!
"There's a difference between being old school, and being old and still in school."

Witch-Ho

« Reply #4 on: Aug 29, 2004, 04:15 AM »
That so totally wouldn't have happened if it wasn't Mark Emery, I'm actually surprised he stayed out on the streets so long as they've had it in for him for a long time!  He's notorious down here in the states too, most of all he's got a reputation for being a REALLY sheisty seed dealer!  - I don't know whether the man ever made a lot of money selling seeds, but I know plenty that have lost money in buying them!  -overcharged Dutch seeds, routine delays for months on end requiring harrasing in emails, and most of all that he's threatened to use his customers' information and go to the police with their names and addresses if they don't stop aforementioned email complaints.  Uncool man.  I don't know if he acts that way to Canadians or if it's just a problem with the USA border or what, but you don't threaten to rat out  people that you deal to.   -Um, I only heard all of that through the grapevine cough, cough, prune.

bigbenjamin

« Reply #5 on: Aug 29, 2004, 01:59 PM »
Marc Emery, the Vancouver-based founder of the British Columbia Marijuana Party (http://www.bcmarijuanaparty.com), publisher of Cannabis Culture magazine (http://www.cannabisculture.com), and marijuana seed empresario, was sent to jail for 90 days Thursday afternoon in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, for passing two joints at a political rally in March.

Marc Emery getting arrested in Winnipeg, July 2003
(courtesy Cannabis Culture magazine)  
Emery, one of the most prominent figures in Canada's marijuana scene -- he is sometimes referred to as "The Prince of Pot" -- has a long history of arrests to further the cause of marijuana legalization, but has never before faced significant time behind bars. But, reported Cannabis Culture, this is Saskatoon, "one of Canada's most anti-pot regions," one where harsh sentences are frequently handed out. Emery was charged under Canada's drug trafficking law, which makes no distinction among quantities or between different drugs, and could have faced seven years in prison. Crown prosecutors asked for two.

Emery was arrested after sharing two joints with people in a local park after giving a speech denouncing the marijuana laws. While Canadian law permits laying a trafficking charge for sharing a joint, such charges are rarely brought, suggesting Emery was prosecuted for political reasons.

Visit his site. (p.s. W.H. - i didn't think he mailed seeds across international borders.) Support the dude :twisted: !

Witch-Ho

« Reply #6 on: Aug 29, 2004, 02:40 PM »
Hee hee, oh boy did he EVER send seeds across international borders.  I've held them gleefully in my palm, before handing them back to the buyer with a hearty laugh!  OK, so I confess, almost everything I know about the man comes from one VERY polarized and biased book; http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1878125028/103-0894521-4447843?v=glance
It's a silly little book but seriously if you've never gotten your hands on it, it's a real hoot, for the historical ariticles alone (I loved the bit on Cab Calloway for instance) -I don't mean to be calling down one of Canada's own, but then isn't this just the sort of thing that we should be going on about?  Oh, for anyone who enjoys this book, I also recommend this equally biased and yet wonderfully hilarious film on the history of the USA's  'War on Marajuana' -also a total hoot for historical footage alone, and it's sure to make you hate US politicians even more than you probably do now, if such a thing is possible! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0214730/

Witch-Ho

« Reply #7 on: Aug 29, 2004, 02:42 PM »
--Last I checked the film I linked to, Grass, is a faily popular download on Overnet and E-Donkey as well as Kazaa....

bigbenjamin

« Reply #8 on: Aug 29, 2004, 02:57 PM »
Thanks W.H. - good stuff. I think that it is okay for Emery to make money and squabble with his clients, if that's what he needs to do to keep going. it is brave dudes who put their freedom on the line for a principle we can all relate to - "the pursuit of happiness" - it is a harmless friggin little weed. I wish the guy well.

Saucy Bastard

« Reply #9 on: Aug 29, 2004, 05:06 PM »
Quote from: bigbenjamin

I guess I am cynical concidering that now that Paul Martin seems to have cozied up to the American government a bit ,I feel that decrim will probably die for the time being.

Saucy Bastard

« Reply #10 on: Aug 29, 2004, 05:12 PM »
Quote from: Witch-Ho
That so totally wouldn't have happened if it wasn't Mark Emery, I'm actually surprised he stayed out on the streets so long as they've had it in for him for a long time!  He's notorious down here in the states too, most of all he's got a reputation for being a REALLY sheisty seed dealer!  - I don't know whether the man ever made a lot of money selling seeds, but I know plenty that have lost money in buying them!  -overcharged Dutch seeds, routine delays for months on end requiring harrasing in emails, and most of all that he's threatened to use his customers' information and go to the police with their names and addresses if they don't stop aforementioned email complaints.  Uncool man.  I don't know if he acts that way to Canadians or if it's just a problem with the USA border or what, but you don't threaten to rat out  people that you deal to.   -Um, I only heard all of that through the grapevine cough, cough, prune.

I must say that I am a bit surprised by this ,but if you read the "contacting us" section of his catalog you will see that he seems to have had some problems concerning correspondence from customers trying to track orders etc.

Saucy Bastard

« Reply #11 on: Aug 29, 2004, 05:31 PM »
Hee hee, oh boy did he EVER send seeds across international borders.  I've held them gleefully in my palm, before handing them back to the buyer with a hearty laugh!  OK, so I confess, almost everything I know about the man comes from one VERY polarized and biased book; http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1878125028/103-0894521-4447843?v=glance
It's a silly little book but seriously if you've never gotten your hands on it, it's a real hoot, for the historical ariticles alone (I loved the bit on Cab Calloway for instance) -I don't mean to be calling down one of Canada's own, but then isn't this just the sort of thing that we should be going on about?  Oh, for anyone who enjoys this book, I also recommend this equally biased and yet wonderfully hilarious film on the history of the USA's  'War on Marajuana' -also a total hoot for historical footage alone, and it's sure to make you hate US politicians even more than you probably do now, if such a thing is possible! http://http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0214730/

Do you mean "The emperor wears no cloths"?
If so I believe that the first or second edition( my dad bought 100 of them to resell) was one of Marks inspirations . A great book! The information on how Hearst Paper manipulated the public with "news" stories so that marijuhana would be criminalized and hemp would secretly become prohibited so that they could protect their pulp and paper interests is facinating ! :leaf2:

Witch-Ho

« Reply #12 on: Aug 29, 2004, 05:41 PM »
Yeah, ya know I mostly wanted a little happy controversy on this thread, especially because I'm in the US and I know that there's political divisions across the border on this issue.  Actually I kinda like the guy, I just wanted to pimp those links!

Saucy Bastard

« Reply #13 on: Aug 29, 2004, 07:39 PM »
There may be political divisions but I hope that most people realize that out of 300 million citizens there are many of "you"who share the same views as "our" left leaning citizens and that many of our right wing citizens probably agree with your foreign pollicies.I have many friends and relatives south of the border and they are all wonderfull people, as I'm sure you are!

Witch-Ho

« Reply #14 on: Aug 29, 2004, 07:52 PM »
You guy's know i'm just picking!  My hubby and I have been eyeing the Canadian border for a couple of years now, we're disgusted- it may all henge on the next presidential election, I can't live under those shrubberies anymore!  (but seriously download the film!)

Saucy Bastard

« Reply #15 on: Aug 29, 2004, 10:47 PM »
I'm thinking that maby you come frim the state of "hanging chads", if so you must be extra disgusted with your political situation . You should seriously concider that run for the border as shit only seems to be getting worse for the US! Besides, you get some freaky weather down there .

bigbenjamin

« Reply #16 on: Aug 30, 2004, 01:13 AM »
You guy's know i'm just picking!  My hubby and I have been eyeing the Canadian border for a couple of years now, we're disgusted- it may all henge on the next presidential election, I can't live under those shrubberies anymore!  (but seriously download the film!)

Shit, W.H., I never thought I would say that anything good could come from re-electing Mr.WarHead, and beleive me I hope with all my heart you get a new president -BUT - if the Bush Baby's re-election drove you over the 49th parallel, well that would be good for you and "us" - i do dig yr stuff :wink: !

Witch-Ho

« Reply #17 on: Aug 30, 2004, 07:24 AM »
I'm thinking that maby you come frim the state of "hanging chads", if so you must be extra disgusted with your political situation . You should seriously concider that run for the border as shit only seems to be getting worse for the US! Besides, you get some freaky weather down there .
No kidding. We had  Tropical Storm Gaston make landfall and rain all over us last night, and Shiticane Frances is fast on it's heels- if I weren't in the mountains I'd probably spend every August in a bunker!  And yes, the political climate has become terrifying here- I live in a relatively small city and just the other week we were treated to swarms of unmarked black helicopters with no running lights dropping bombs which we later found out to be dummies used in an unanounced military excercise- totally freaky.  My favorite coffee house is bugged and has a webcam in the courtyard so that the police station can watch and eavesdrop.  We have great fun with that though, and our favorite courtyard conversations tend to center around dark political conspiracy theories and making jokes about cops- I know they hate it!  Sometimes I just walk past and shout 'Kill the President" just to get their undies in a knot....

Witch-Ho

« Reply #18 on: Aug 30, 2004, 07:26 AM »
Oh, and despite the fact that I've given up on this country (did back during Reagan actually) I'll be voting, on a HANDWRITTEN ballot- screw 'hanging chads'.  I'll be doing the exit poll just for added verification.  Still don't think it will help though...

bigbenjamin

« Reply #19 on: Aug 30, 2004, 04:40 PM »
Oh, and despite the fact that I've given up on this country (did back during Reagan actually) I'll be voting, on a HANDWRITTEN ballot- screw 'hanging chads'.  I'll be doing the exit poll just for added verification.  Still don't think it will help though...

Gee, W.H. -sounds like you think bushy is gonna win (small joke about "bushy" - a very sweet and intelligent girl from Korea watched "From Dusk To Dawn" as a homework assignment - in her report she thought that brother Cheech was shouting "Hot Bushy, cold Bushy, white Bushy, black Bushy" - etc. Jin thought it was some poem denouncing George Bush, the younger, rather than a baked demon advertising sex for sale! LOL!)

Saucy Bastard

« Reply #20 on: Aug 31, 2004, 10:44 PM »
God (not that I believe in "him"in the traditional sense) help us if he "wins" again!
Have you seen the network coverage that the Republican convention is receiving?

Tipsy McStagger

« Reply #21 on: Sep 19, 2004, 09:27 AM »
My friend once told me his mom got the same charge for exactly the same thing...passing a joint.  I always though he was full of shit, guess he wasnt.

Tip

"i ahve qit the org cuz ppl wont maid ther own bussin" - greenbasterd

Saucy Bastard

« Reply #22 on: Sep 19, 2004, 03:13 PM »
Yeah, my mom too, but in 1966!
This is 2004!
When did this happen to her?

bigbenjamin

« Reply #23 on: Sep 19, 2004, 03:34 PM »
It is pretty difficult to get a cop to bust anyone in Toronto for simple possession - recently saw a messed up street person(female) waving her joint under the cops' (2) noses, taunting them. They just laughed and kept on moving. Too much paper work for something the judge will either throw out or give a small fine for. If a cop busts you for passing a joint these day, that cop is probably GES or some other troll type! :stoned:  :stoned:  :stoned: cheers.

Detriot Velvet Smooth

« Reply #24 on: Sep 19, 2004, 06:28 PM »
That or hes out of Doughnuts lol
I wanted a lady, not fuckin cory and trevor