Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: the Toronto Maple Leafs thread  (Read 47315 times)

J to the R-O-C

• my myspace page
Re: the Toronto Maple Leafs thread
« Reply #75 on: Feb 07, 2006, 11:27 PM »
they played well, they actually deserved to win.  fuck i was worried when Caber left the ice.  i thought "there goes the Olympics (for him)...there goes the rest of the season..." and then he was out there on the next shift.

and Mats got rocked pretty fucking good!  is he ever going to get pissed off and beat the crap out of someone?  a Leafs captain should beat the crap out of somebody every once in a while.  it was nice to see Kilger and Kaberle sticking up for him.

the back to back with the Rangers this weekend is huge.  we need those points going into the break BADLY.

i'm pumped for the Olympics, man.  it's gonna be great.
"Anybody who wants religion is welcome to it as far as I'm concerned, I support your right to enjoy it. However, I would appreciate it if you exhibited more respect for the rights of those people who do not wish to share your dogma, rapture or necrodestination." - Frank Zappa

RumNCoke

« Reply #76 on: Feb 08, 2006, 05:51 AM »
Hey, J to the R-O-C.

There was a collective sense of concern in the building when McCabe was hit from behind, especially when he banged his stick against the boards in anger. We all thought, "Shit, he must be really hurt. That's it for him and the Olympics. Fuck we just got him back." It was great to see Domi trash talking the Thrashers after the hit. When McCabe stepped back on to the ice during that lackluster 5 minute power play we all cheered.

Well, it's no surprise when Kilger comes to his teammate's defense, but when Kaberle pushed that Thrasher down, and got a penalty for roughing, the crowd was in shock. Everyone was praising him for showing a little backbone. As he skated to the box most people were on their feet cheering.

You're right, every point counts, especially with three teams on our asses. If they make it to the playoffs they may not be the favourites, but I still want them there.

Reveen The Impossiblist

« Reply #77 on: Feb 08, 2006, 02:46 PM »
It was a decent game, nothing special as far as entertainment value - at least watching it on the tube that is.  What is with McCabe, the guy squirms and bangs his stick like a baby, the refs give a gratuitous 5min penalty because it looked like McCabe was done for - the f'in guy is out the next shift and get some powerplay minutes!  I fackin' hate him, the Thrashers ended up getting the best chances when they had to kill the penalty off.  Give Eddy credit, he stoned Stefan and then made a sensational save on the rebound against Hossa.  Oh well, it's going to be a sprint to the playoffs.

Go Bruins Go!!!  :lol:
Brandt: You never went to college...

The Dude: Oh, no I did, but I spent most of my time occupying various administration buildings... smoking a lot of thai stick... breaking into the ROTC... and bowling. To tell you the truth Brandt, I don't remember most of it.

RumNCoke

« Reply #78 on: Feb 08, 2006, 05:54 PM »
I swear, Leaf haters drive me nuts. Now they're complaining (here and in other forums) that the only reason Toronto was awarded a 5 minute power play in the first period was because McCabe "faked" an injury when he was hit from behind. Some people are calling McCabe a disgrace and "can't believe he's representing Canada in the Olympics." That is a ridiculous argument. Since when does the seriousness of hitting from behind depend on whether or not the player is injured? Hitting from behind cannot be allowed or tolerated in hockey. ANYONE who does it should be made an example of as a deterrent to other players. A Leaf hater's argument is all about that, Leaf hating. It's got nothing to do with player safety.

Shit machine gun

« Reply #79 on: Feb 08, 2006, 09:10 PM »
Hope you had a good time at the game Rummer.  I get to see the Thrashers and the Habs on Saturday.
2009-2010 TPB FANTASY HOCKEY CHAMPION. 

"I can be bought. If they paid me enough, I'd work for the Klan." - Charles Barkley

I HATE Conky

"I hear chicken, cola fizz, mustard and relish, all coagulatin together, and french fries and onion rings, but you know what, I don't hear a heart, Motherfucker"

J to the R-O-C

• my myspace page
« Reply #80 on: Feb 09, 2006, 08:54 AM »
i agree totally RnC.  i have always said that players should be suspended for their actions, not for the injury that results from them.  hitting from behind is awful and needs to be eliminated from the game.  period.  McCabe's reaction after the hit leaves no doubt in my mind that he really couldn't feel his leg and that he thought he was really hurt bad.

anyone who says McCabe doesn't deserve to represent Canada needs to pull their head out of their ass.
"Anybody who wants religion is welcome to it as far as I'm concerned, I support your right to enjoy it. However, I would appreciate it if you exhibited more respect for the rights of those people who do not wish to share your dogma, rapture or necrodestination." - Frank Zappa

Reveen The Impossiblist

« Reply #81 on: Feb 09, 2006, 09:08 AM »
Firstly, I am not a Leaf hater, I am a Leaf Lover - I just happen to love to hate the Leafs  :lol: McCabe dumped the puck off and Aubin finished his check.  The check was from the side and McCabe crumbled like a card house with his momentum carrying down.  Let's be honest, if it was cheap-shot Tucker who would have hit, say, Andy Sutton in the exact same fashion, I don't think you would be saying that it was a dirty hit.  I believe there is no room in the game for hits from behind.  I just need Leaf lovers to open up their eyes a little wider when it comes to things they feel is the biggest Leafs injustice, where if the shoe was on the other foot they would have no problem with it.  

Go Bruins Go!

The Dude: Oh, no I did, but I spent most of my time occupying various administration buildings... smoking a lot of thai stick... breaking into the ROTC... and bowling. To tell you the truth Brandt, I don't remember most of it.

Reveen The Impossiblist

« Reply #82 on: Feb 09, 2006, 09:14 AM »
I'm surprised there hasn't been more attention paid to Exelby's hit on Sundin.  Of the two hits, Exelby's was by far the dirtier.  He left his feet and was gunnin' for Sundin's head, it looked like a deliberate attempt to injure in my books.  He rocked Sundin but it was clearly a charge!  We have to start looking at these incidences with an unobjective opinion.  :?

J to the R-O-C

• my myspace page
« Reply #83 on: Feb 09, 2006, 09:27 AM »
The check was from the side

no it wasn't

Of the two hits, Exelby's was by far the dirtier

wrong again

RumNCoke

« Reply #84 on: Feb 09, 2006, 10:16 AM »
I just need Leaf lovers to open up their eyes a little wider when it comes to things they feel is the biggest Leafs injustice, where if the shoe was on the other foot they would have no problem with it.

We have to start looking at these incidences with an unobjective opinion.

Yes, I admit that team loving/loathing will influence a fan's opinion of an incident on the ice (it's probably unavoidable unless the incident is blatantly illegal). I've been guilty of that in the past, and possibly even now. But the same applies to you, Raveen. How impartial are you when it comes to the Leafs and/or the Bruins?

Reveen The Impossiblist

« Reply #85 on: Feb 09, 2006, 11:16 AM »
I absolutely agree, the element of bias enters into someones judgement whenever they are watching their favourite team.  That is the point that I am trying to raise.  Of course, when I do get a chance to watch a Bruins game, I feel the Bruins can do no wrong and their opponent can do no right (within reason).  I guess that is what is so engaging about watching sports and getting behind your team.  Who doesn't like booing the bad guy... now you Leaf fans also can't get your hockey socks in a knot rather easily.  Being arguably the biggest hockey market in the world inflates every detail that circulates around Toronto and the Leafs.  I am merely providing an outside opinion that is a more level-headed or unbiased opinion than that of the Leaf fan that may allow bias to creep into their decisions while watching the same game. I provide the clarity for any given situation while certainly enjoying stirring the pot.

Shouldn't Joe Bowen say... "Belfour makes a blocker save, holy mackinaw!" or "Belfour makes a blocking arm save, holy mackinaw!"  What is a blocking arm save?!  When the puck clearly does not hit the blocking arm but rather strikes the blocker.  More accurately I feel it should just be called a blocker save.  :(

J to the R-O-C

• my myspace page
« Reply #86 on: Feb 11, 2006, 09:37 PM »
Leafs sign Kaberle to 5-year extension

link

Reveen The Impossiblist

« Reply #87 on: Mar 01, 2006, 12:24 PM »
Well, I don't want to piss off Leaf fans any more than they are after last night's performance... however - I don't see things getting any better for them   :?

RumNCoke

« Reply #88 on: Mar 01, 2006, 04:23 PM »
I don't see things getting any better for them   :?

Neither do I...unfortunately. There's a dark cloud over Leafs Nation.

Reveen The Impossiblist

« Reply #89 on: Mar 02, 2006, 02:25 PM »
I need to vent a little bit about my damn Pro Line ticket... here's how it shaped up:

I heard on some sports station that 5 of Sweden's national team players were not going to be in the lineup for their game against San Jose due to some gold medal Olympic crap. (Zetterberg, Lidstrom, Kronwall, Holmstrom, Samuelsson) I bet that San Jose would win by 2+ goals, and they did - good for them they whipped them 5-1.  So I also picked that the Senators were going to beat Pittsburgh last night by 2+ goals.  Well they should have, after going into the third period with a 4-0 lead.  Pittsburgh scored 3 goals, the game ended 4-3 and my ticket was ruined.  Now, I did pick the Bruins to beat Atlanta tonight.  I slapped $20 on the ticket and they pay day would have been $180.00 So if the Bruins just win tonight I will definitely feel that the Senators royally fucked me! 

I guess leaving this in a Leafs topic I am able to get away with an off topic post because it involves an element of Senator bashing... F'in Sens!  :x

Shit machine gun

« Reply #90 on: Mar 02, 2006, 02:30 PM »
Ouch RTI, that sucks big time.

I have not played proline since my university days, at least 8years.  Couldn't win a 3 game ticket so said fuck it.

I doubt the Bruins will win tonight.  Did you have the +2?

"I can be bought. If they paid me enough, I'd work for the Klan." - Charles Barkley

I HATE Conky

"I hear chicken, cola fizz, mustard and relish, all coagulatin together, and french fries and onion rings, but you know what, I don't hear a heart, Motherfucker"

Reveen The Impossiblist

« Reply #91 on: Mar 02, 2006, 02:41 PM »
The Bruins just need to win the game tonight - now I'm in the boat where I kinda want Atlanta to win just so the ticket won't sting as much - damn Senators!  How does that happen?  An empty net goal would have been nice... f-it - I guess that is why they call it gambling...

Shit machine gun

« Reply #92 on: Mar 02, 2006, 02:57 PM »
They had the puck in the end with the empty net too. 

That's just the way she fucking goes.

I HATE Conky

Reveen The Impossiblist

« Reply #93 on: Mar 02, 2006, 03:20 PM »
So true, it's the way she goes... lol

Reveen The Impossiblist

« Reply #94 on: Mar 03, 2006, 03:30 PM »
My Bruins beat the Thrashers last night in a very exciting game.  Tied 2-2 with about 3:00 minuts left and the Bs potted a power play goal.  This means that Ottawa did royally screw me - I still can't believe it!

F'in Sens...

RumNCoke

« Reply #95 on: Mar 03, 2006, 05:30 PM »
I wonder how deep the hole will be after this week. Let's see: (1) The Leafs are playing the Sabres tonight in Buffalo, and the Leafs NEVER win in Buffalo, (2) The Leafs play the Senators in Toronto, and have yet to beat them this year, (3) The Leafs play the Habs on Tuesday, who have a really hot goalie right now. It doesn't look good. With the way they've been playing I say the Leafs will be lucky to win one of those games. Even if by some mircale they make the playoffs, what do the Leafs expect to accomplish? *sigh* It's so sad. :(   

RumNCoke

« Reply #96 on: Mar 05, 2006, 06:29 AM »
Since my last post about the Leafs was very negative I thought I'd be a little more positive now, but not by much. Even through they lost to the Sens last night that was by far the Leafs' best effort against them since October. They lost 4-2 (last goal was an empty netter) but actually had the lead at one point, which was momentarily encouraging. This was one game against the Sens that the Leafs could have actually won. They had some glorious chances, including a shot from Kyle Wellwood which rang off the post. But a loss is a loss and you don't get points for effort. The Leafs also lost Lindros for the season when he re-injured his wrist. They're now 7 points out of the last playoff spot. When it rains, it pours.

DavidB_Bubbles

• Location: Hiding in my shed from a Samsquanch Monster, Salem, Oregon, U.S.A.
« Reply #97 on: Mar 05, 2006, 10:18 AM »
I'm sure all of the Leaf's fans out there alrealdy know this. But I did not see it commented on here. Eric Lindros is out for the season. It's been on ESPN radio all morning

Leafs lose game and Lindros

Associated Press
Posted: 10 hours ago     

TORONTO (AP) - The Toronto Maple Leafs' playoff hopes took a double hit on Saturday night.

Dany Heatley scored the go-ahead goal in the third period and the Ottawa Senators again showed their dominance of the Maple Leafs with a 4-2 victory on Saturday night.
After the game, Toronto center Eric Lindros announced he'll need surgery after reinjuring his right wrist.

Lindros, who recently returned after missing 26 games after tearing a ligament, didn't return to the game for the third period after aggravating it when he took a slap shot in the second period.

"I tore it," Lindros said. "I'm going to need surgery this week."

The Toronto native might have played his last game in a Leafs uniform if surgery causes him to miss the rest of the season.

Lindros signed one-year, $1.55 million contract last summer, fulfilling a lifelong dream to play for the Leafs. His career has been plagued by concussions.

"It's been a frustrating time for him and us as well. We had hoped to have him healthy," coach Pat Quinn said.

Alex Steen and Alex Ponikarovsky had goals for the Maple Leafs, who have lost five straight.

Toronto - 4-14-2 since Jan. 6 - is in danger of missing the playoffs for the first time in coach Quinn's seven-year tenure.

"It's tough losing, especially now that the games are so important," Steen said. "The upcoming games are going to be really key."

Patrick Eaves, Brian Pothier and Zdeno Chara also scored for the Senators, who have won all seven games against Toronto this season - outscoring the Maple Leafs 40-14.

Ottawa goalie Ray Emery made 24 saves in place of injured starter Dominik Hasek.

"Toronto is close to my hometown of Hamilton. I grew up watching Hockey Night in Canada on Saturday night. It was one of the most exciting games of my life, that's for sure," Emery said.

Heatley scored his 36th goal by sending a one-timer past 40-year-old goalie Ed Belfour at 4:24 of the third period.

Toronto had a power-play opportunity with 15.1 seconds left. After the Maple Leafs called a timeout, Ottawa won the faceoff back to Chara, who shot the puck the length of the ice for an empty-netter

"Toronto played well," Ottawa captain Daniel Alfredsson said. "It was close right until the end."

Toronto's Chad Kilger made a backhanded pass from behind the net to Steen, who scored at 11:54 of the first.

After checking his man behind the net, Eaves skated in front and put a rebound past Belfour at 3:08 of the second.

Just over a minute later, Pothier's shot from the point deflected off Toronto defenseman Aki Berg and past Belfour.

But Ponikarovsky tied it after Ottawa's Chris Kelly turned the puck over around his net, allowing Ponikarovsky to score after a rebound at 8:08 of the second.

Notes
The Maple Leafs honored enforcer Tie Domi for playing in his 1,000th NHL game on Friday night. The 15-minute ceremony included a video tribute that featured Frank Sinatra's "My Way." Former teammate Doug Gilmour presented Domi with a silver stick with the names of his ex-teammates. His mentor, enforcer Tiger Williams, unveiled a framing of his first NHL contract and the gamesheet from his first and 1,000th game. Domi spoke and thanked a long list people - even Ottawa Senators fans. ... NHL commissioner Gary Bettman attended the game.

J to the R-O-C

• my myspace page
« Reply #98 on: Mar 05, 2006, 10:36 AM »
why is JFJ still employed with this team?

Reveen The Impossiblist

« Reply #99 on: Mar 07, 2006, 03:38 PM »
I will be headin' down the dirty QEW today to feast my eyes on the Bruins against the Sabres.  Two tickets three rows up from the glass - $84.00 USD for the pair  same tickets for the Laughs - $250.00 each face value if you can buy them when they are available. 

The Leafs were in a very precarious position with their lack of cap space and their lack of up and coming talent that was reasonably paid as opposed to the older proven veteran players that they had to cut loose - Mogilny, Niuendyk, Roberts etc.  injuries decimated the once proud and mighty Leafs.  I say they sign Lonny Bohonos, that guy should never have been let go... mwwwahahahaa  :perv1: