Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: the Toronto Maple Leafs thread  (Read 47279 times)

shake

Re: the Toronto Maple Leafs thread
« Reply #50 on: Jan 30, 2006, 08:32 PM »
The horror has finally ceased.

RumNCoke

« Reply #51 on: Jan 31, 2006, 05:52 AM »
The horror has finally ceased.

I know. Finally! On the positive side, that's 3 points in their last two games. :P At least Tucker is back and McCabe is supposed to be back tonight. Things are looking a little better in Leafs Nation.

I know, the Leafs haters are still going to say; *in Keanu Reeves surfer voice* "Well they're still not going to make the playoffs." Blah, blah, blah...we'll see.

J to the R-O-C

• my myspace page
« Reply #52 on: Jan 31, 2006, 07:19 AM »
I know, the Leafs haters are still going to say; *in Keanu Reeves surfer voice* "Well they're still not going to make the playoffs." Blah, blah, blah...we'll see.

if Ferguson doesn't significantly improve our defence, then it won't matter if the Leafs make the playoffs or not because they certainly won't be winning many rounds.

and they longer he waits, the more likely that guys like Brendan Witt will be picked up by someone else.

don't get me wrong, i like they way the rookies have played.  but you can't expect to go far with 3 or 4 rookie defencemen.  Khavanov, though better lately, has been a disappointment.  Berg and Klee are decent 5th and 6th defencemen, not 3rd and 4th.

a legitimate scoring winger would also be a great help.
"Anybody who wants religion is welcome to it as far as I'm concerned, I support your right to enjoy it. However, I would appreciate it if you exhibited more respect for the rights of those people who do not wish to share your dogma, rapture or necrodestination." - Frank Zappa

Reveen The Impossiblist

« Reply #53 on: Jan 31, 2006, 09:44 AM »
I Love you Leaf fans - I love you guys!  Nothing gets posted until the Leafs register a win.  Well the pain of the losing skid may be over, however the Leafers are hardly out of the woods and Grandma's house is a long way away.  Look at my Bruins spankin' the Senators in their own barn - let's see if the Leafs could do that!  They will be very hard pressed to make the playoffs.  It's better for them to not make the playoffs then to give Leafs fans a false sense that they could actually do something if they were to make the playoffs!

I say the Leafs unload one of the goalie prospects for some help - let's be honest, how often to goalie prospects actually pan out.  They usually do not start to become legitimate number one goalies until they are 27-28-29  Ferguson is a lot like Rob Babcock, lol, he has no idea what he is doing!  We will have to wait and see how much worse he can make the Leafs.

Sundin better start scoring - I don't care how many goals he assisted on.  Assists don't count on the scoreboard!

GO BRUINS GO!  :lol:
Brandt: You never went to college...

The Dude: Oh, no I did, but I spent most of my time occupying various administration buildings... smoking a lot of thai stick... breaking into the ROTC... and bowling. To tell you the truth Brandt, I don't remember most of it.

J to the R-O-C

• my myspace page
« Reply #54 on: Jan 31, 2006, 12:15 PM »
they can trade one of Rask or Pogge, but it better be Luongo coming back in return
"Anybody who wants religion is welcome to it as far as I'm concerned, I support your right to enjoy it. However, I would appreciate it if you exhibited more respect for the rights of those people who do not wish to share your dogma, rapture or necrodestination." - Frank Zappa

Reveen The Impossiblist

« Reply #55 on: Jan 31, 2006, 12:30 PM »
Luongo is certainly wishful thinking, they would need to dump Belfour and free some cap space, Rask or Pogge and maybe somebody like Colaiacovo.  He would look good in a Leafs jersey though...

Here's the deal:

Rask - Carlo Colai... - Belfour - 1st Round Pick to Florida for Luongo (I'm starting this rumour right now)

Keenan's too smart, and Ferguson is too dumb!

The Dude: Oh, no I did, but I spent most of my time occupying various administration buildings... smoking a lot of thai stick... breaking into the ROTC... and bowling. To tell you the truth Brandt, I don't remember most of it.

Shit machine gun

« Reply #56 on: Jan 31, 2006, 01:28 PM »
Belfour is fourty fuckin two years old.  How he's even breathing on his own I'll never know.  Playing pretty good for an old guy.

A friend of mine told me a story about some guys he knew in Toronto that we out drinking in a bar and saw a dude sitting by himself shitfaced.  Eddie the Eagle.  They went over and chatted with him and sat down and drank all night with him.  The bar was closing so they told Eddie to come back to their apartment because they had lots of liquor there.  He came back and drank some more, passed out, got shamed, then left in the morning.  They had pics of him passed out on the couch and everything.  It was fuckin hilarious. 

I used to have them on my computer but they were deleted when I bought my new hard drive. 
2009-2010 TPB FANTASY HOCKEY CHAMPION. 

"I can be bought. If they paid me enough, I'd work for the Klan." - Charles Barkley

I HATE Conky

"I hear chicken, cola fizz, mustard and relish, all coagulatin together, and french fries and onion rings, but you know what, I don't hear a heart, Motherfucker"

Reveen The Impossiblist

« Reply #57 on: Jan 31, 2006, 02:41 PM »
I've seen those pics, I think there may have been a bunch of really hot young ladies there as well, if my memory serves me correctly!  mmmm, hot young ladies  :lick:

Belfour got rocked by Nieuwendyk in the last couple minutes of the Florida game - I thought he was going to start spazzin' out because he was hit.  When the camera finally panned over to him - I thought he was gone for a good few weeks... he's a warrior!
« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2006, 02:48 PM by Reveen The Impossiblist »

Shit machine gun

« Reply #58 on: Jan 31, 2006, 02:53 PM »
Maybe that was one of those urban legends, eddie the eagle getting drunk.  As I seem to recall, the email that the pics came from had a mass posting so maybe they were friends of friends or something.  I want to dig that up now.

The hit wasn't that hard.  The refs did the right thing by letting Eddie play dead for 2 minutes.

"I can be bought. If they paid me enough, I'd work for the Klan." - Charles Barkley

I HATE Conky

"I hear chicken, cola fizz, mustard and relish, all coagulatin together, and french fries and onion rings, but you know what, I don't hear a heart, Motherfucker"

RumNCoke

« Reply #59 on: Jan 31, 2006, 09:07 PM »
if Ferguson doesn't significantly improve our defence, then it won't matter if the Leafs make the playoffs or not because they certainly won't be winning many rounds.

I know. The Leafs have some serious deficiencies. I'm not delusional. I don't expect them to do much of anything for a long time to come. But that doesn't mean I don't want them in the playoffs just because they don't have a good chance of winning. What kind of a fan is that? History has proven anything can happen. That's why they play the games.

With all due respect, Raveen, in recent years Boston has also given it's fans plenty of "false sense" that they could actually do something in the play-offs playoffs. It's not just Toronto.

2002 Playoffs: Boston eliminated in first round by Montreal (4-2)
2003 Playoffs: Boston eliminated in first round by New Jersey (4-1)
2004 Playoffs: After an impressive 41-19-15-7 record and being seeded 2nd in the Eastern Conference, Boston is eliminated in the first round by Montreal (seeded 7th) 4-3. At one point Boston was leading the series 3-1. Ouch! That would have killed me if it was the Leafs.

The only team which doesn't break it's fan's hearts is the one who wins the cup.

PS - Assists DO count on the scoreboard. It's just as important to set up the goal as it is to score it. That's why they're given equal value on a player's stats.

Shit machine gun

« Reply #60 on: Feb 01, 2006, 08:04 AM »
So that's what if feels like to lose 8-2.  Now I know what you Leaf fans go through when you play the sens.  Looks like Carolina is Montreals' big goal nemisis.

I HATE Conky

Reveen The Impossiblist

« Reply #61 on: Feb 01, 2006, 09:04 AM »
Hey RnC,

Assists count two to one for goals in most cases.  Last time I checked they still handed out a maximum of two assists for every goal.  Now I'm not saying that assists are not important, there will not be too many goal scorers in this game without having a good playmaker.  Now when you are paying your captain maximum dollars, I think Sundin collects a paycheque around $6,000,000.00 for his services.  You expect him to bury the biscuit at a faster pace than say... Steve Begin for the habs.  I'm not saying Sundin is not a strong leader and he still may lead the Leafs deep into the playoffs like he has done on a number of occasions in the past.  However, he should be putting the puck in the net more frequently, because it's not the Allison and Kaberle assists that they count on the scoreboard.  Goals on the scoreboard win games, not assists on the game sheet.

With respect to the Bruins, you did tear open some freshly healed wounds.  The Bruins losing to the Habs after leading 3 games to 1 was painful.  Very painful!  I hate the habs.  That miraculous save that Theodore made when he spun around and stopped, I believe Glen Murray, was illegal - he threw his stick - clearly a violation of the rules.  :? Oh well, I am a little pleased that the former Hart Trophy and Vezina winner has fullen under the spell of a former Habs great - Andre 'Red Light' Racicot.  Theodore can't stop a beach ball these days, I love it!

We all want our teams to win the cup, the Bruins and the Leafs fall under the same category.  Neither of them have hoisted Lord Stanleys mug in a very long time!  Go Bruins Go!

J to the R-O-C

• my myspace page
« Reply #62 on: Feb 01, 2006, 12:02 PM »
another fucking third period lead blown.  these guys are really starting to piss me off.  what the fuck is Ferguson waiting for?  it might be time to clean house, starting with Peddy and going down the list.  axe Fergie and Quinn, trade Sundin, Kaberle, Belfour, Antropov, Ponikarovsky, Berg, a rookie defemnceman and a goalie prospect, hire Scotty Bowman as the GM and try to lure Brent Sutter out of the CHL to coach next season.

there, that's my rant for the day.

GO LEAFS GO!!!
« Last Edit: Feb 01, 2006, 12:04 PM by J to the R-O-C »

Reveen The Impossiblist

« Reply #63 on: Feb 01, 2006, 12:45 PM »
I agree, if the Leafs are going to make any significant strides forward it would serve them well to cull their current roster.  As they approach the trade deadline and other teams are preparing for the playoffs and looking to bolster their lineups, Babcock, I mean Ferguson should trade McCabe while they can still get something for him.  A first rounder and solid young prospect would probably be enough for him.  The Leafs need to get involved with the draft sweepstakes because it is a deep and rich draft.  Maybe one of those highly touted Yankess would look good in Leaf blue and white.  Just tryin' to help you Leaf fans out.  Sundin definitely needs to go, and the Leafs could get at least a couple of talented players they could insert into their roster.  They need a shakeup in the worst way!

J to the R-O-C

• my myspace page
« Reply #64 on: Feb 01, 2006, 04:32 PM »
i wouldn't trade McCabe, not unless it was a fantastic deal in return.  if we trade Sundin, Caber is the logical choice for the next captain.  i'd be worried that trading him would lessen the chances of him re-signing with the Leafs in the off-season.  we're fucked if he doesn't re-sign here, frankly.  i don't mind trading Kaberle because i don't really care if he's back here next year.  the Leafs would be much better off trying to pry one or both of Chara and Redden away from Ottawa.

if the Leafs could put together a package with Sundin, Belfour or Pogge or Rask, Kablerle and/or a defencive prospect, they might be able to pull off something huge like Luongo and Bowmeester, or Bertuzzi and Jovanovski.

but i have serious doubts about Ferguson's ability to do any of these things. 

RumNCoke

« Reply #65 on: Feb 01, 2006, 05:03 PM »
With respect to the Bruins, you did tear open some freshly healed wounds.  The Bruins losing to the Habs after leading 3 games to 1 was painful.  Very painful!

Sorry, Reveen. I know that was a low blow.

I don't pretend to know how to solve the Leafs' problems so I'm not going to offer any suggestions. It's clear that sacrificing the future for a chance to win in the present has not worked. I wouldn't mind seeing a new GM; one who's willing to make aggressive moves. In terms of Quinn, I really don't know if he can be blamed. Under Quinn the Leafs have made it to the Eastern Conference final twice. Ah, who knows?

Reveen The Impossiblist

« Reply #66 on: Feb 02, 2006, 12:08 PM »
Hey RnC,

Don't worry about the Bruins jab, ever since the Bruins were walked all over by the Oil, twice, in the Stanley Cup finals, I've developed a thicker skin.  I guess as Leafs fans you guys have also had to toughen up to deal with adversity and the Stanley Cup drought.

It is interesting to see what will happen here and there when the GMs start tinkering around with trades and deals.  Under this new CBA it is hard to say if we are going to get any blockbusters or if it will be just a couple of missing pieces that teams are looking for to try and make a deep run into the playoffs.  I hated O'Connell very much for trading Thornton, I'm still a little sour.  However, even though Boston in recent years have been very talent deep, they relied and leaned on Thornton too much.  They needed to adopt a model where the whole team felt like they were contributing and not just the top line or even just Thornton himself.  The Leafs may want to examine this model especially in the new CBA era, the Leafers will not be able to just sign marquee free agents and will need to start building from the draft.  Aside from Steen, I can't remember a first round pick since maybe Wendel, that the Leafs selected that have had a profound impact on the team.  I really think Steen is going to pan out nicely for the Leafs.

The Leafs would have to swing the pendulum pretty far in the Sens direction if they are even serious about getting a top 1-2 defenceman from Ottawa with either Chara or Redden on the back of their jersey.  That is the great thing about Ottawa - aside from having two solid scoring lines, their defence is extraordinarily talented.  I can't wait for the Olympics and then the playoffs!  Fack, I love hockey!

RumNCoke

« Reply #67 on: Feb 03, 2006, 08:58 PM »
Well the Leafs lost...again...4-1 to Washington...the 2nd worse team in the Eastern conference. I'm fuckin' sick of this shit. I'm tired of the Leafs making other teams feel good about themselves. This is the worse stretch I can remember. This is a disgrace! I hate the fact that some of these lesser hockey markets down south have a better team than Toronto. I've been hearing the rumour for years. That the powers that be don't care about winning, they care about making money and know the ACC will be sold out every game regardless. Man, who the fuck knows if this is true or not? Who the fuck knows why Leaf fans have been cursed with almost 40 years of futility? I fear now that things may get worse before they get better. If that's the case then it better be worthwhile in the end. All I want is one Stanley Cup while I'm still physically able to celebrate. Then they can go another 40 years for all I care. 

shake

« Reply #68 on: Feb 03, 2006, 09:30 PM »
All I want is one Stanley Cup while I'm still physically able to celebrate. Then they can go another 40 years for all I care. 

Well I hope you don't think it will be this year.  You know that ain't happening.

J to the R-O-C

• my myspace page
« Reply #69 on: Feb 04, 2006, 01:10 PM »
I've been hearing the rumour for years. That the powers that be don't care about winning, they care about making money and know the ACC will be sold out every game regardless.

as long as Richard Peddie is the president of this team, nothing will change.  it's obvious that Fergie is either powerless to do anything, or he's just an incompetent fool.  change has to start at the top, and Peddie has to go.

if Scotty Bowman was president and GM of the Leafs, do you think we would be sitting in a stretch of 1 win in 11 games with zero changes to show for it?  this is disgusting.  after the lockout, i swore i would not pay to see the Leafs play unless it was the Stanley Cup FINALS.  well that sure as hell isn't going to happen under this regime.

Canuckguy

« Reply #70 on: Feb 04, 2006, 06:12 PM »
Should be a good game tonight vs the devils.   :twisted:  heheheh

RumNCoke

« Reply #71 on: Feb 04, 2006, 11:35 PM »
Thank God they won. Jeez, how many simultaneous heart attacks can one fan survive? Can someone please tell me who suited up for the Leafs in the first period? I certainly didn't recognize them. Ponikarovsky almost had a hat-trick in the first period! It was back to the status quo in the 3rd though. I must not be negative. They won and that's what's important.

Reveen The Impossiblist

« Reply #72 on: Feb 07, 2006, 02:58 PM »
Leafs vs Thrashers - have they stopped the bleeding with a win against Jersey or will the carnage continue?  Savard/Hossa/Kovalchuk - I have a feeling things could get nasty out there...

RumNCoke

« Reply #73 on: Feb 07, 2006, 04:08 PM »
I'll be at the game tonight. I got tickets for my birthday. I'll be damned if they're going to lose tonight. I'm sure I'll have a good time, win or lose. WIN DAMN IT!

RumNCoke

« Reply #74 on: Feb 07, 2006, 10:55 PM »
WOOOOOOOOOOO! GO LEAFS GO! I just got back from the game...4-1 win! My friend and I had a fantastic time. It was a perfect game. It had everything. The Leaf goals were amazing, there was a fight, a game misconduct, bullshit calls to boo at, Belfour made some incredible saves (chanting "EDDIE!, EDDIE, EDDIE!" was amazing), and tonight was the 30th anniversary of Darryl Sittler's legendary 10 point game so he was there also. I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight, I'm so pumped. I was actually lucky enough to record one of Leaf goals on my digital camera! As you can imagine my voice is a little coarse.

Leafs vs Thrashers - have they stopped the bleeding with a win against Jersey or will the carnage continue?  Savard/Hossa/Kovalchuk - I have a feeling things could get nasty out there...

Sorry my friend, not tonight!

[attachment deleted by admin]