Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: the Toronto Maple Leafs thread  (Read 47318 times)

RumNCoke

Re: the Toronto Maple Leafs thread
« Reply #150 on: Apr 14, 2006, 06:59 AM »
i would sure hate to see them catch Tampa, only to have Atlanta sneak into 8th.

Yeah, I know. Tampa Bay may not be playing well but the Thrashers are. Lets see the teams' remaining games and points as of this morning:

Toronto (86 points) vs. (1) Ottawa, (2) Buffalo, (3) Pittsburg
Tampa Bay (89 points) vs. (1) Carolina, (2) Carolina, (3) Washington
Atlanta (87 points) vs. (1) Boston, (2) Washington, (3) Florida

On paper, as they say, Atlanta has the "easier" schedule. Forgetting Atlanta, the Leafs are still in the situation where if they lose one of their remaining games and Tampa Bay wins one of their remaining games, the Leafs are eliminated. Beating both Ottawa and Buffalo wont be easy. With they way the Leafs are playing now, especially the way many of the younger players are stepping up, I can live with them not making the playoffs. I'm sure it's proved to the powers that be the direction they must take the team in.
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2006, 07:18 AM by RumNCoke »

Cappy

• Location: Blue trailer on the corner........stay off my fackin' lawn!
« Reply #151 on: Apr 14, 2006, 10:55 AM »
FORE!

[attachment deleted by admin]
You can't just give up on pulling up your pants!

RumNCoke

« Reply #152 on: Apr 14, 2006, 11:06 AM »
FORE!

Aren't you the little agitator today. :P :lol:

Cappy

« Reply #153 on: Apr 14, 2006, 11:08 AM »
I am thinking I'm a jerk, but i can't help it.    :moon:

J to the R-O-C

• my myspace page
« Reply #154 on: Apr 15, 2006, 12:02 AM »
FORE!

looking for the Canucks thread, are we?
"Anybody who wants religion is welcome to it as far as I'm concerned, I support your right to enjoy it. However, I would appreciate it if you exhibited more respect for the rights of those people who do not wish to share your dogma, rapture or necrodestination." - Frank Zappa

Cappy

« Reply #155 on: Apr 15, 2006, 12:31 AM »
Nope, twas foreshadowing.

RumNCoke

« Reply #156 on: Apr 15, 2006, 06:53 AM »
Unbelievable! I'm already feeling anxiety for tonight's game against Ottawa. Stupid, inconsequential sports. Why do I care so much!?

J to the R-O-C

• my myspace page
« Reply #157 on: Apr 15, 2006, 07:49 PM »
Nope, twas foreshadowing.

well, let's see...

Tampa has to lose their last 2 games, and Atlanta has to lose at least one game, and the Leafs have to win their last 3 games including games vs Ottawa and Buffalo...

i think you may be on to something here...

:roll:
Posted on: Apr 15, 2006, 03:19 PM
okay, seriously, who are these guys?
"Anybody who wants religion is welcome to it as far as I'm concerned, I support your right to enjoy it. However, I would appreciate it if you exhibited more respect for the rights of those people who do not wish to share your dogma, rapture or necrodestination." - Frank Zappa

RumNCoke

« Reply #158 on: Apr 16, 2006, 06:59 PM »
What a fuckin' shame. Toronto was able to clobber Ottawa tonight 5-1 (I'm extremely happy about that), but unfortunately Tampa Bay won tonight. The Leafs are officially done. What a fuckin' shame. With the way they've been playing lately they certainly deserved to make it in. At least they didn't just roll over and die. The great play of all the youngsters bodes well for the future.

On a side note, I find it ironic how in a playoff-like scenario the Leafs were once again able to elevate their game to defeat the Senators.
Posted on: Apr 15, 2006, 10:27 PM
Wow, what lackluster performance by the Leafs this afternoon against Buffalo...not surprisingly. It's kind of tough to stay motivated now.

Cappy

« Reply #159 on: Apr 16, 2006, 07:19 PM »
Major spankage today by the Sabres who also rubbed salt in the wound when Buff's Peters mimicked a golf swing to Belak.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/w.hobbs/PetersSwing.gif
« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2006, 08:00 PM by Captain Shittastic »

RumNCoke

« Reply #160 on: Apr 16, 2006, 07:37 PM »
Major spankage today by the Sabres who also rubbed salt in the wound when Buff's Peters mimicked a golf swing to Belak.
Yeah I know. Shit like that really bothers me. The Sabres quickly forget that this is the first time in about 4 seasons that they're making the playoffs.

Shit machine gun

« Reply #161 on: Apr 20, 2006, 01:57 PM »
BREAKING NEWS

Pat Quinn fired.
2009-2010 TPB FANTASY HOCKEY CHAMPION. 

"I can be bought. If they paid me enough, I'd work for the Klan." - Charles Barkley

I HATE Conky

"I hear chicken, cola fizz, mustard and relish, all coagulatin together, and french fries and onion rings, but you know what, I don't hear a heart, Motherfucker"

J to the R-O-C

• my myspace page
« Reply #162 on: Apr 20, 2006, 03:02 PM »
BREAKING NEWS

wake me up when Tanenbaum and Peddie are fired.

Drunk_As_Fuck

« Reply #163 on: Apr 20, 2006, 05:58 PM »
Too bad - the guy who DID the firing is the one who should ge gone.  Thanks for some good times Pat.  I at least hope this shakes the boys in blue up some and they'll come outta the gate next year as strong as they finished this year.

Cappy

« Reply #164 on: Apr 21, 2006, 12:08 AM »
Pat liked the old guys too much. Your youngins are to credit for your playoff run.

RumNCoke

« Reply #165 on: Apr 22, 2006, 07:11 AM »
Listening to Ferguson's press conference was really laughable. There was clearly inconsistency and a double standard when he answered the media's questions. When he spoke about Quinn's performance it was a terrible season because the Leafs didn't make the play-offs. When Ferguson spoke about himself and his free agent signings the season was pretty good because the Leafs won a record 26 home games and Allison scored 60 points. Sorry, but he can't have it both ways.

Also, did any of you hear the rumour that Tie Domi knew ahead of time that Quinn was going to be fired because Tanenbaum told him?

J to the R-O-C

• my myspace page
« Reply #166 on: Apr 22, 2006, 07:41 AM »
Fergie absolutely set Quinn up to fail this year

WTF has he done to improve this team?  fuck all, IMO

Scott Niedermayer was a free agent last summer, in case you've all forgotten

let's see how this lame-duck GM improves this team this off-season

Cappy

« Reply #167 on: Apr 22, 2006, 07:50 AM »

WTF has he done to improve this team?  fuck all, IMO

Scott Niedermayer was a free agent last summer, in case you've all forgotten

I don't think he had the cap room to get a guy like Needs, but signing Lindros?, that was stupid.

J to the R-O-C

• my myspace page
« Reply #168 on: Apr 22, 2006, 08:04 AM »
I don't think he had the cap room to get a guy like Needs, but signing Lindros?, that was stupid.

he would have if he hadn't wasted money on Allison, Belfour, Antropov, Khavanov, Berg, Domi, O'Neill.

Lindros was one of his better signings, and i hope he comes back at the rumoured $750K

Cappy

« Reply #169 on: Apr 22, 2006, 08:25 AM »

he would have if he hadn't wasted money on Allison, Belfour, Antropov, Khavanov, Berg, Domi, O'Neill.

Lindros was one of his better signings, and i hope he comes back at the rumoured $750K

I agree with all the guys u have mentioned except Lindy. He played well but he's accident prone. How many games did he play this year?

RumNCoke

« Reply #170 on: Apr 22, 2006, 08:41 AM »

I'm not sure it's fair to say Quinn was set up to fail, but you're right, this season he didn't have as much to work with, especially for the new NHL. If there was a power struggle between Quinn and Ferguson he can't use it as an excuse anymore. Ferguson is already hanging by a thread so if there aren't improvements and free agent signings that make sense, it's all on his shoulders.

I still can't believe that the powers that be hired a GM with little to no experience to begin with. This isn't some false hockey market down south in the lower U.S. states (whom by the way all seem to have better GMs), this is the Toronto Maple Leafs. You learn the business of being a good GM, with a proven track record, elsewhere then you come to Toronto.

Can anyone tell me if most Stanley Cup champion teams are owned by an individual or a corporation? Corporate ownership doesn't seem to be working for Toronto. Harold Ballard may not have worked either but that's because he was a psychopath.

J to the R-O-C

• my myspace page
« Reply #171 on: Apr 22, 2006, 03:56 PM »
I agree with all the guys u have mentioned except Lindy. He played well but he's accident prone. How many games did he play this year?

33, but if he signs for half of what he made last year, i'd give him another shot.

Cappy

« Reply #172 on: Apr 22, 2006, 04:18 PM »

33, but if he signs for half of what he made last year, i'd give him another shot.

I would too. It seems that his mommy lost a bit of control over him, too bad his talent has dwindled so much. But still worth a shot.

J to the R-O-C

• my myspace page
« Reply #173 on: Apr 27, 2006, 07:47 PM »
i might not have agreed with all of his moves as GM, or his line combinations as coach, but he sure had a lot of class.

Pat Quinn statement

For release Thursday, April 27, 2006 2pm

There have been a number of media requests for interviews over the past few days and I thought it best to respond in this way.

The team is moving in a new direction, and my departure should not distract in any way from the challenge facing the team and the organization, so a press gathering would not assist that process right now. It is also a time for personal privacy.

I will have tremendous memories of my 8 years in Toronto.

Throughout my coaching career, the goal at every training camp, every year, was to win the Stanley Cup. Despite two trips to the finals over the years, and other times making it to the 'final four', that goal, for me, has not yet been achieved.

That does not, though, diminish the feelings I have about my 7 seasons and 8 years overall here in Toronto. From the first season here in 1998-'99 to this past season, I was genuinely optimistic every year, and believed we had teams that could advance and go a long way.

I leave now remembering especially that first season in 1998-'99, also the spring of 2002 when we worked so hard to try and reach the finals, and the 2004 playoffs, when I felt in my heart we had something special here.

I believed in our group this past season, as well. While we did not achieve what we needed to, this group worked to deal with various obstacles, and I am proud of their efforts-especially their work in recent weeks when they overcame significant odds to almost attain a playoff berth after we dug a huge hole for ourselves.

It has been a wonderful time in Toronto, and I'd like to thank all those who worked with me over the years, from Steve Stavro and Larry Tanenbaum to Mike Smith Ken Dryden, John Ferguson, Mike Penny, Bill Watters and Barry Trapp, Rick Ley, Keith Acton, Paul Dennis and the many special and talented individuals, including outstanding support and training staff, who worked with me side-by-side in the dressing room, the Leaf offices and behind the bench.

I would particularly like to express my high regard for Steve Stavro, who passed away over the weekend. Steve was a generous, caring individual, a genuine family man who had a passion for sports and the Maple Leafs.

There are too many players to mention, of course, individuals who gave everything they had for me and for the team and its great fans over these years. Three players were here for my entire eight years. Mats was our great leader, Tie played with so much heart, and Thomas has developed into an outstanding all-around player.

There is no game without the players, and no victories for a team or its coach without loyal and talented individuals on the management, coaching and support staffs.

This is the best hockey city in the world. The fans are knowledgeable and passionate. The media follows the team so closely, and while a little overzealous for my liking at times, help make playing, coaching and working here a stimulating environment daily.

My passion for the game, for coaching, is as strong as ever. I will always appreciate the opportunity I've been given to work with Hockey Canada many times over the past decade. It was a particular privilege to be a part of the 2002 Olympic victory and the 2004 World Cup championship, as well as earlier World Championships Team Canada squads and the 2006 Olympic team in Turin.

There may be a time to talk about all this further, but for now I hope everyone understands that the focus should be on the team and the challenge that lies ahead.

Thank you.

Reveen The Impossiblist

« Reply #174 on: Apr 28, 2006, 03:04 PM »
A very nice touch of class from Pat Quinn. 
Brandt: You never went to college...

The Dude: Oh, no I did, but I spent most of my time occupying various administration buildings... smoking a lot of thai stick... breaking into the ROTC... and bowling. To tell you the truth Brandt, I don't remember most of it.