Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: Dutch Mason and TPB  (Read 4502 times)

shake

Dutch Mason and TPB
« on: Aug 18, 2004, 08:40 AM »
Dutch Mason music was featured in episode 7 of Season 4.  Dutch has been crowned the Prime Minister of the Blues.  His connection to TPB is outlined in these links.  The late Ken Clattenburg, Mike's father, played drums in Dutch's band and according to this link

http://nsclassicrock.8m.com/dutchmason.html

the band was paid a bucket of chicken to record their first album.  Most likely Mike C paid tribute to this in the Darkest One video where Gord Downie offers the boys "ONE bucket" of chicken for stealing an engine. 

Here is some more interesting stuff about Dutch.  I lived in Nova Scotia most of my life and saw many of these people play, they are very talented.  I also have the CD from this concert, it was dedicated to Ken Clattenburg

http://www.canoe.ca/JamMusicArtistsM/mason_dutch.html

Here is a link to the late Rick Jeffery's site.  His songs were played in Season 1, see the sounds section of this site.

http://www.bytor.com/rj/bluzhome.htm
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2016, 09:15 PM by shake »

Four Eyes

Dutch Mason and TPB
« Reply #1 on: Aug 18, 2004, 04:31 PM »
The Dutch Mason Blues Band were great ! We used to see them when they came to Toronto every chance we could.

In fact, hearing Rick's solo on "Baby Please Don't Go" from the "Blues aint Bad" album is what got me interested in Blues music (~'76/77). I was listening on the radio and they played it, I was hooked.   I was sorry when I heard that he passed on.

I haven't seen any of season four but looking forward to seeing Dutch! I'm new to the show and have been watching seasons 1-3 over and over on DVD. I'm going to try and wait until the 4th DVDs come out and make a week of it!
Dear Fellow Poster,
Please fuck off at your earliest possible convenience.
Thanking you in advance,
Four Eyes

shake

Dutch Mason and TPB
« Reply #2 on: Aug 18, 2004, 04:38 PM »
Cool.  You won't actually see Dutch, just hear his music.  At one point in time they are listening to the radio and the DJ calls him the Prime Minister of the Blues.

shake

Dutch Mason and TPB
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2005, 07:37 PM »
Well I just got Bell ExpressVu and was checking out ASN.  It said that they will be having a segment on Dutch Mason on Breakfast Television tomorrow.  BT is on from 7-8:30.  I hope I don't screw up taping it, have to get use to this new technology.

shake

Dutch Mason and TPB
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2005, 08:20 PM »
So I managed to tape it ok, apparently he is the subject of a new book , and was just awarded the Order of Canada.

http://www.herald.ns.ca/cgi-bin/home/displaystory?2005/02/13+220.raw+Books+2005/02/14

From the article:

"Mason's stories, delivered in colourful language that uses the f-word as a noun, verb, adjective and adverb, form the most compelling and often hilarious parts of the book."

�On the Road with Dutch Mason: Prime Minister of the Blues will be launched at the East Coast Music Awards in Sydney on Friday at 7:30 p.m.�

That�s my hometown!
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2016, 09:16 PM by shake »

purple_skwirrel

Dutch Mason and TPB
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2005, 08:47 PM »
That's cool  8)

shake

Dutch Mason and TPB
« Reply #6 on: Jul 13, 2005, 10:04 PM »
I saw Dutch play live again tonight!  Actually I saw his son Garrett play for about an hour at the Ottawa Bluesfest, he rocked hard.  Garrett stayed up on stage when they brought Dutch out, they were into their third song when the concert was cancelled due to an impending thunder storm.  I got soaked walking home, but here is a pic I took.  That is Dutch sitting down, unfortunately in a wheel chair, and that is his son Garrett on guitar.

P.S. I'm halfway through his book "On the Road With Dutch Mason", so far, so good.  TPB fans, and musicians, would like it.

Oh Yeah, Buck 65, aka Stinkin' Rich was due to come on at another stage after Dutch played.  The Ottawa Bluesfest is awesome!

« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2016, 09:17 PM by shake »

Four Eyes

Re: Dutch Mason and TPB
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2005, 12:42 AM »
P.S. I�m halfway through his book �On the Road With Dutch Mason�, so far, so good.  TPB fans, and musicians, would like it.

My copy just arrived. Thanks Shake, I didn't know that the book existed until your post. I also got a couple of Dutchie CDs including a live album called "Appearing Nightly". (you may already know about/have this one) but the it's a collection of live recordings from the 70's/80's. On the liner notes it says that it was made from tapes that Dutch forgot about until they were emptying his basement after a flood. It was his him and his band in their prime including Rick Jeffery aka "Brother Rick on the Lickin' Stick". Damn good harp player.

Dear Fellow Poster,
Please fuck off at your earliest possible convenience.
Thanking you in advance,
Four Eyes

shake

« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2005, 05:49 PM »
I fininished the book awhile ago, lots of good stories.  Not only was Clattenburg's father in Dutch's band apparently he was his best friend.

shake

« Reply #9 on: Mar 04, 2007, 10:27 PM »
SMG already posted a thread about Dutch’s passing in the Remembrances forum here...

http://www.trailerparkboys.org/forums/index.php?topic=6817.0

I had a copy of the Halifax paper, dated Dec. 26, 2006, with this article, I just got around to scanning it now.  Since this thread was dedicated to Dutch I figured this was a good place for it.