Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: Donair - Info & Recipe  (Read 82707 times)

Fishyneil

• Doritos commercial
Re: Donair - Info & Recipe
« Reply #25 on: Apr 08, 2006, 12:48 PM »
btw, that crazy cream, vinegar, garlic powder and sugar sauce was actually very tasty!

Yummy in the tummy cheers!

When I made that sauce, I was thinking it was some kind of sick joke. Friggin' delicious sauce :drooling:
Fishy
"So why would you care
To get out of this place
You and me and all our friends
Such a happy human race"

TPB FAQ's... http://www.trailerparkboys.org/forums/index.php?topic=6806.0

Vancouver

« Reply #26 on: Nov 17, 2006, 06:31 PM »
I made the wickedest sweet sauce for donairs last night. I used honey instead of sugar, IMO, wayyy better than sugar.
TPB Fantasy Hockey League CHAMPION!!

Shit machine gun

« Reply #27 on: Nov 17, 2006, 07:14 PM »
Interesting theory there Miss couver.  Don't know if I'd deviate that much.

[attachment deleted by admin]
2009-2010 TPB FANTASY HOCKEY CHAMPION. 

"I can be bought. If they paid me enough, I'd work for the Klan." - Charles Barkley

I HATE Conky

"I hear chicken, cola fizz, mustard and relish, all coagulatin together, and french fries and onion rings, but you know what, I don't hear a heart, Motherfucker"

Shit machine gun

« Reply #28 on: Feb 02, 2007, 08:27 AM »
My bro came up and brought what I requested.  Another one of those mammoth donairs.  They even packaged it all up separately so it would freeze and travel well.  Deciding whether to make it into a pizza or just nosh on it hard.

"I can be bought. If they paid me enough, I'd work for the Klan." - Charles Barkley

I HATE Conky

"I hear chicken, cola fizz, mustard and relish, all coagulatin together, and french fries and onion rings, but you know what, I don't hear a heart, Motherfucker"

Fishyneil

• Doritos commercial
« Reply #29 on: Sep 29, 2008, 03:31 PM »
Bought a donair kit from the super store today. I'll let you know how that goes.
Fishy
"So why would you care
To get out of this place
Such a happy human race"

DavidB_Bubbles

• Location: Hiding in my shed from a Samsquanch Monster, Salem, Oregon, U.S.A.
« Reply #30 on: Sep 29, 2008, 03:35 PM »
If it's really good Fishy go ahead and send me a pm with a donair as an attachment   :lol:  ;)

Fishyneil

• Doritos commercial
« Reply #31 on: Sep 29, 2008, 03:41 PM »
PM me your addy and I'll even send Chris Brother's pepperoni :drooling: If you're lucky, I may include some Zesty Mordant chips.
Fishy
"So why would you care
To get out of this place
Such a happy human race"

bajjer

• Location: Hidin' in the [TALL] Shit Grass, < 1 hour from Sunnyvale!
« Reply #32 on: Sep 29, 2008, 08:28 PM »
Bought a donair kit from the super store today. I'll let you know how that goes.
Fishy
You could have purchased a donair from Roberts Pizza and made several  normal portioned donairs for less coin.

On an aside, I had a donair pizza from Tony's in Halifax and it was the best to date, however, it wasn't the cheapest around.
"Quoting one is plagiarism. Quoting many is research."
--Anonymous
http://www.site.uottawa.ca/~rabielmo/personal/quotes.html
"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education."
http://rescomp.stanford.edu/~cheshire/EinsteinQuotes.html
Copyright: Kevin Harris 1995 (may be freely distributed with this acknowledgement)

RadBunny

« Reply #33 on: Sep 29, 2008, 10:39 PM »
I had never heard of a Donair before i started floating around here. Me and the boys tried making a few, and we suck at it. But i will admit what we did get out of it was some good tasting food and a general idea of what the hell they are supposed to be.

The Rock isn't famous for much in food, except for the garbage plate. It's from Nick Tahoe's, a local restaurant around here, and its not a bad concept. The idea first started from here and spread around all over the states, idk if it went up to canada. Its basically a plate of half mac salad and homefries, topped with two cheeseburgers (no buns). Its sided with a couple slices of bread and butter. Traditionally it is either two cheeseburgers or a couple of white hots, but you can use whatever you want when it comes down to it.

cart girl

« Reply #34 on: Sep 29, 2008, 11:28 PM »
i'm gonna try this soon....sounds like it would be in the gyro family of yummy treats
not a note~!

heavymetaldick

« Reply #35 on: Nov 10, 2008, 12:33 PM »
I have a question, are donairs a popular food on the east coast?
They arent as popular on this side and not as good as yours back east.
Fuck off, I've got work to do.

Fishyneil

• Doritos commercial
« Reply #36 on: Nov 10, 2008, 12:34 PM »
Virtually every pizza place in the Halifax area offers a donair.
Fishy
"So why would you care
To get out of this place
Such a happy human race"

KODMan

« Reply #37 on: Dec 07, 2008, 05:35 AM »
The beef theory is correct.

All I know is if there is no Donair meat in it then it is not a Donair.  Donair meat is specially spiced beef, there is no such thing as a chicken donair.  Shawarma is a completely different thing altogether.

I remember reading an article saying that Donair meat was invented by a Greek immigrant who came to Nova Scotia, Bedford exactly (just outside Halifax).  I can’t find the thing now.

actually most donairs are made from beef but the original recipe was pork beef and lamb.

I'm not sure that donair meat as such was invented in halifax but the donair as we know it.
It's really a bastardized Gyro. Two brothers Peter Gamoulakos and John Kamoulakos (yes they are brothers immigration screwed the spelling of one's name) opened a little shop on the Bedford Highway in 1967 I believe. The Gyro's tzasiki(sp?) sauce wasn't too popular. One of them, John as legend has it, invented donair sauce and the rest is history. The name doanair is said to have come from the verticle rotisserie cooker. Someone asked John or Peter what the new dish was called he looked at the machine which had "DONER" printed on it and said "Doner".
John went on to open Mr. Donair a supplier of donair products for pizza and restaurant customers. Peter opened PG pizzaria on Herring Cove rd. Peter passed away in the early 90's of a heart attack. John just recently retired and sold Mr. Donair to Tony's Meats in Antigonish.
Nick Garonis Opened King of Donair in 1973. I've been told that Nick was Peter and John's cousin and worked for them at their shop but I cannot verify this.

If any of the faithful are ever in town I own the King of Donair in Dartmouth. Shannon Plaza Windmill rd. Come on in and feast!

Fishyneil

• Doritos commercial
« Reply #38 on: Dec 07, 2008, 05:47 AM »
Been there and you guys are really TPB friendly. Anyone who comes to Halifax has to have a KOD Donair at the Windmill Rd. location. 8)
Fishy
Shannon Plaza is also the location of the bank machine robbery in the movie where the shit mobile backs into the store with smokes a plenty.
FN
"So why would you care
To get out of this place
Such a happy human race"

Shit machine gun

« Reply #39 on: Dec 07, 2008, 06:47 AM »
Dude, I'd rather be friends with you that the Trailerpark boys.

I HATE Conky

Fishyneil

• Doritos commercial
« Reply #40 on: Jan 10, 2009, 05:06 PM »
If you guys don't want to make your own donairs then check out this thread about the best donair/pizza places...

http://www.trailerparkboys.org/forums/index.php/topic,784.msg10023.html#msg10023

Fishy
"So why would you care
To get out of this place
Such a happy human race"

SublimeJason

« Reply #41 on: Jan 28, 2009, 06:11 AM »
Just wanted to say Thanks to Gr8full for the Kick Ass donair Recipe's!!!   (Been a Long time since I had a Real Down home Donair)

Frazzo

« Reply #42 on: Feb 05, 2009, 12:50 AM »
I'm with RadBunny on this one, and being on a desolate island in the Pacific ocean, I've never heard of or laid eyes on "Donair". Is it a french Canadian taco? I did eat one of those back in the 70's :perv1:

Frazzo. 

baitboy

« Reply #43 on: Apr 23, 2009, 05:14 PM »
I left n.s. in 94 and moved to thunder bay.  Just this week the first donair shop opened here.
Took my wife and I 4 tries to finally get there when it was actually opened.  Unfortunately, it was not a bit like a hometown donair from hfx.  They didn't use the ground beef but substituted very bland surloin roast.  They offered 10 or so different toppings, so you could build your own.  Not near the traditional donair of hfx.  The only thing that tasted the same was the sause.  Makes me want to open up a shop.  I don't know what donairs are selling for now but the ones here were not worth the 6.99 that we paid.

damn now I am craving one of the goos ones

RoryTate

« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2009, 12:42 PM »
Toulany's on Duffus St. in Halifax is still my favorite. :)

Fishyneil

• Doritos commercial
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2009, 05:38 PM »
Is there one on Duffus :? I know there is a Toulany's on Gottingen and Young.
Fishy
"So why would you care
To get out of this place
Such a happy human race"

RoryTate

« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2009, 11:37 PM »
Only for 30+ years. :) 5553 Duffus.

Bash has finally retired but the gents running the place haven't changed what's important. They still sell vacuum packed loaves for international delivery too...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 11:42 PM by RoryTate »

JAG

Okay, so I've been on the web and asked a few friends about donairs. I guess its the ol' chef in me. I've been "going to make them" for years now, but decided that when we have our TPB Countdown to Liquor Day party, that I was going to bust them out for the crowd. So now I have a couple of recipes and am not sure which to go with. So, I've decided to make my life even MORE difficult and ask all of you at the ORG if you have a recipe or know where I can get a real authentic donair recipe. I want to get as close to what they would serve at KOD as possible. We are going to have one helluva shin-dig with a keg, liquor, chicken fingers, cheeseburgers, french fries (maybe some KFC) and herbal refreshments...the whole 9 yards however, we've GOT to have donairs or it won't be complete!
LOL...I just realized that we haven't had a party like this since before (or shortly after) the first kid was born. Where does the time go...?
Anyway, all ideas, recipes, links are appreciated. We are going to be showing the ENTIRE series, the specials and the first movie so we are going to need a LOT of food. The TPB virgins are going to need to be educated, so I thought it might be fun to introduce some of the things that they are going to see and hear when they watch the show.
~Sarah~
*100% Certified Honouary Canuck*

Port Cockerton:

"Maybe if you hadn't spent the whole night sinking space sluts you wouldn't have let down the entire universe yet again!"
"Copy that."
"Solution, Captain Powerful?!"
"MORE powder of confidence..."

DavidB_Bubbles

• Location: Hiding in my shed from a Samsquanch Monster, Salem, Oregon, U.S.A.
« Reply #48 on: Sep 15, 2009, 05:21 PM »
I went ahead and merged your topic with this one JuliansAmericanGirl.  This is not only a good place to start but a good place for any of the new park members to post their donair recipes  :)  I hope that your party is a smashing success  :D

JAG

« Reply #49 on: Sep 17, 2009, 11:08 AM »
Thanks. You know I kept looking at the Donairs and saying to meself...those seem an awful lot like Gyros. After reading a bunch of recipes, they are really pretty close. Gyro sauce uses a greek yogurt as a base which is definitely different, but all in all; they seem like similar beasts. This is a GREAT thing, because we freakin' LOVE gyros in this house. My husband and I both come from Irish immigrant families only HIS family moved into an area with German and Greek immigrants too. Mr. and Mrs Greek (I swear this is what we call them to this day!) used to LOVE to feed my husband and his 4 brothers. (She didn't bother with the girls...LOL! but insisted; in HORRIBLE english, that the boys were waaaay too skinny.)
My very Irish looking husband loves greek food with a passion and I know he is going to love donairs.

I wonder if they have decent Donairs in Toronto?
~Sarah~
*100% Certified Honouary Canuck*

Port Cockerton:

"Maybe if you hadn't spent the whole night sinking space sluts you wouldn't have let down the entire universe yet again!"
"Copy that."
"Solution, Captain Powerful?!"
"MORE powder of confidence..."