Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: Donair - Info & Recipe  (Read 83165 times)

Gr8full

Donair - Info & Recipe
« on: Dec 14, 2005, 09:07 PM »
No problem Gr8ful, so you are in Ottawa eh.

Yep I've been in Ottawa for the last 10 years.Born in Sydney Mines,Cape Breton, adopted and grew up in Halifax/Dartmouth.I'm also of Irish heritage and was given a french last name.So it all adds up to an Irish descendant born in Cape Breton with a french last name transplanted to Ontario.lol

Oh yes, for any folks in the Ottawa area that would like to try another down east treat, I've discovered a few places that have donairs.Not those things they try to pass off as donairs up here but the good stuff.If any of you have tried a downeast donair you know what I'm talking about.For those that haven't had the pleasure follow this link (http://www.canadaeast.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?Site=CE&Date=20021016&Category=TPLIFE04&ArtNo=210160475&Ref=AR&SectionCat=RECIPES) to know what you might be getting yourself into (the next day can be rough for some) and this one (http://morbo.net/pics/work/08-26-05/index.html) for some pics.lol

Now get your bibs out (no utensils allowed) and dig in.The following places were voted the best in the Ottawa area.

1) Greco Pizza and Donair, Carp Rd.
2143 Carp Rd. , Carp on.(I think this one is in a gas station)

2) Romeo Pizza
1580 Merival Rd.

3) Barney Pizza
2843 DuMaurier Ave.

You can also get donair kits at Sobeys in Barrhaven.

And for the more adventurous types or those not living in the Ottawa area here is a recipe:

Source (http://www.astro.umd.edu/~petitpas/Links/Donair.html)

Donair Sauce
(adapted from King of Donair, on `Pizza Corner', Halifax)

2/3 cup canned evaporated milk
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Stir canned milk, sugar and garlic powder until sugar is dissolved. Add vinegar and continue mixing. The quicker you add the vinegar and the less you mix (I usually give the spoon 3 or 4 turns around the bowl), the thicker the sauce will be. Let sauce sit for at least one hour in refrigerator before using. Eventually (hours to days later), the sauce may start to separate. DO NOT STIR IT. Simply skim the thick sauce off the top. It tastes fine, despite the appearance that all the vinigar has seeped out of it.

You should be able to get thick sauce simply by following the instructions in the top recipe. I can get mine a bit thicker than yogurt. Occasionally, I blow it and stir too much and the sauce gets thin again. If your sauce is not thick enough (I like spoons to stand up in it) follow the recipe below. It is my new favorite.

Alternate SUPER-THICK Sauce Recipe (confirmed to be excellent)

2/3 cup canned sweetened condensed milk
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Follow the same instructions as above, except that you really need to stir for a long time to get the condensed milk and vinigar mixed properly. Do not be alarmed. Stirring this recipe for a long time will not make it thin. Leave set for a few minutes and you will be able to turn the bowl upside down and none of it will pour out.
Please note, the amount of sauce provided in this recipe will likely last two servings at most (if used properly). I find that the sauce can be made in larger batches and survives an unnaturally long time in the fridge.

Donair Meat
(adapted from Derek's Place)

3 pounds lean hamburger (triple ground*)
3/4 cup bread crumbs
2 tsp pepper
1-2 tsp cayenne red pepper (depending on your taste)
1 1/2 tsp oregano
3 tsp paprika
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
*Try to get your butcher to run the meat through the grinder a few times. A food processor will do the trick also.

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Knead for 20 minutes. Shape into two tightly formed loaves. Bake on broiler pan for 2 to 2 1/2 hours at 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Cool loaves and slice into thick slabs. Meat can be frozen for future use. If (like me) you are not fortunate enough to own your own rotary-stick-cooker thing like the ones in the good shops, you may find that the inner parts of the loaf are not browned enough. This can be remedied by re-heating the meat in a frying pan. This browns it nicely and gives it that slightly chewier texture.

Preparation

Heat donair meat in a frying pan. Dip a pita bread in water and fry in frying pan to soften (this is VERY important). Place a generous amount of sauce on bread. Top with meat, chopped onions and tomatoes and finish off with lots more sauce. Put on some old clothes, then roll up or serve open face on a plate. Utensils are strictly forbidden.

Variations

Donair Sub
If you do not have pita bread, you could try the Donair Sub, which is all the above plus some mozzarella cheese placed on a submarine bun and baked for a few minutes (until cheese melts a bit).

Donair Pizza
Grate a bit of mozzarella cheese onto a pizza crust (this will help bind the toppings to the dry crust). Top with loads of donair meat, tomatoes, onions and then more cheese. Bake in oven until cooked to your desired meltiness. Pour cold or room temperature sauce onto each slice before you eat it. The combo of hot pizza with cool donair sauce is very pleasing.

If you can't seem to get your sauce really thick, you might try putting the sauce on the crust first. This will ruin the hot pizza/cold sauce sensation, but will be easier to eat.

And finally,garlic fingers:

Garlic Fingers (v1.5)

1 cup fresh garlic, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter
2 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 Tbl parsley, finely chopped
1 tsp dill
1 cup milk
1/2 cup sharp Cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Gently saute garlic in 2 tablespoons butter about 10 minutes until tender but not brown. Sift flour, baking powder and salt into mixing bowl. Cut in 1/4 cup butter until mixture is crumbly like cornmeal. Add parsley, dill, and milk, stir just until evenly moist. Add a couple of table spoons of the chopped garlic to the dough and mix. Pour into well-greased 8 x 8-inch pan. Spread remaining garlic on top, then cover with cheese. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Cool slightly and cut into fingers. Makes about 8 servings. For a variation, combine 1 cup of thinly sliced onions in with the garlic before you saute them.
Serve warm and dip in the Donair Sauce described above

Enjoy folks!!!
« Last Edit: Dec 15, 2005, 05:15 AM by Gr8full »

Shit machine gun

Re: Chris Brothers pepperoni
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2005, 09:09 PM »
If you ottawatonians are up for a drive, there are Pizza Delights in Perth and Smiths Falls.  When we go there, they basically know we're from down east because of what we order.
2009-2010 TPB FANTASY HOCKEY CHAMPION. 

"I can be bought. If they paid me enough, I'd work for the Klan." - Charles Barkley

I HATE Conky

"I hear chicken, cola fizz, mustard and relish, all coagulatin together, and french fries and onion rings, but you know what, I don't hear a heart, Motherfucker"

shake

Re: Chris Brothers pepperoni
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2005, 09:18 PM »
I happen to think the best Donair in Ottawa can be found at Maroush on Elgin, although for some reason I can't understand, most people get the shawamas.  The owner does his "Shawarma Nazi" shtick and it can be a very entertaining experience, the place is usually rocking after a night out at the bars.  They also have a spot on Sparks and a new one on Rideau.

I will say I haven't tried all the places you recommended gr8full, but Maroush is awesome.

MAKE SURE YOU GET THE SWEET SAUCE, NOT GARLIC.
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2014, 12:00 PM by shake »

shake

Re: Donair - Info & Recipe
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2005, 10:14 PM »
For those of you wondering about the abrupt start of the first post, it used to be in the Chris Brothers Pepperoni thread. I figured enough people are interested in Donairs and recipes I might as well split the topic.

It was originally here...

http://www.trailerparkboys.org/forums/index.php?topic=3915.0
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2014, 12:00 PM by shake »

bigbenjamin

« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2005, 10:36 PM »
The pure "donair" is an elusive monkey. Many places offer a chicken donair, but others insist beef is the true meat for this wrap/sandwich.   Turkey seems to be  the place of origin  .  . chicken shawarma turns  my crank . . best place i know is in the basement of the  Eaton Centre   ... panini press and  beet pickles kick it up a notch!

out behind the KofD cheers!

shake

« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2005, 10:44 PM »
The beef theory is correct.

All I know is if there is no Donair meat in it then it is not a Donair! Donair meat is specially spiced beef, there is no such thing as a chicken donair, and don't let anybody tell you otherwise. Shawarma is a completely different thing altogether.

I remember reading an article saying that Donair meat was invented by a Greek immigrant who came to Nova Scotia, Bedford exactly (just outside Halifax). I can't find the thing now.
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2014, 12:01 PM by shake »

Gr8full

« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2005, 11:21 PM »
 Thought I was losing it for a second there Shake.I knew I posted this to the other thread.lol

That article you refer to is here:
http://www.astro.umd.edu/~petitpas/Links/history.jpg

It is also linked off the source link I provided.Guess I should have done a search before posting.Would've realized that some of the stuff I posted was a repost.Ah well.
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2014, 12:02 PM by shake »

shake

« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2005, 11:28 PM »
Ha ha, sorry I should have PM'd you to tell you about the split but I guess it slipped my mind with all the new forum activity.

Yeah I remember seeing that article, but the one I was referring to was much longer. It was one of the first things I ever received by email. I thought I saved it but I can't find it. Anyway no matter, the subject matter looks the same, your article gets the point across.  Good job on the donair info.

Gr8full

« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2005, 12:08 AM »
 Whoops,almost forgot,one more.

Donair Platter

Fresh cooked french fries
donair meat
onions and tomatoes
mozza
donair sauce

layer fries in the bottom of a deep dish tinfoil pie pan, lay donair
meat over top, put onions and tomatoes on top, cover with cheese,
cover with tinfoil, bake in the oven for 10 to 20 mins, remove
tinfoil and add donair sauce.

Of course you can always add sauce before the cheese and then add more sauce after baking.

Bailey

« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2005, 12:30 AM »
Is the donair you guys speak of similar to a kebab, just with different meat, i've never heard of half the recipes you canadians talk about, but gotta say they sound yummy.

oops sorry just saw the link for photos, cool.  Very similar to a kebab, but the meat is what makes it, interesting.  It's a law here in oz now (not one most follow tho) where a kebab maker after carving the meat off the stand up roticery has to then quickly fry it in a frypan, cause  the way it spins the blood apparently works it way to the outside of teh meat or something like that.  That said i've eaten a million chicken lamb and beef kebabs and never been sick.
« Last Edit: Dec 15, 2005, 12:33 AM by Bailey »

Gr8full

« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2005, 12:33 AM »
 A few good pictures here Bailey:

http://morbo.net/pics/work/08-26-05/index.html

Bailey

« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2005, 12:34 AM »
Hey man, cheers for that, lol just edited my message to say i saw the pics in your original post.  :)  Oh and welcome to the boards Gr8full, please keep those recipes coming.

BC Babe

• my store!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 15, 2005, 12:58 AM »
Mmmmm ok, now I'm starvin you guys and it's like 11 at night, and there's no way I'm tearin apart my kitchen cookin at this hour! ;) Awesome Gr8full, keep em coming!  :P
Yeah, whatever.....

Gr8full

« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2005, 01:22 AM »
It's a law here in oz now (not one most follow tho) where a kebab maker after carving the meat off the stand up roticery has to then quickly fry it in a frypan, cause  the way it spins the blood apparently works it way to the outside of teh meat or something like that.

I'm not sure if it's law but the places I used to get them in Nova Scotia slice the meat off the spit and then put it on the grill for a few minutes.Quite likely for the same reason.

Gr8full

« Reply #14 on: Dec 15, 2005, 01:29 AM »
BC Babe and Bailey,I'm sure you've heard the expression be careful what you ask for,you just might get it,lol.

I'll start with the donair meat recipes:

Donair Meat
(adapted from Derek's Place)

3 pounds lean hamburger (triple ground*)
3/4 cup bread crumbs
2 tsp pepper
1-2 tsp cayenne red pepper (depending on your taste)
1 1/2 tsp oregano
3 tsp paprika
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
*Try to get your butcher to run the meat through the grinder a few times. A food processor will do the trick also.

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Knead for 20 minutes. Shape into two tightly formed loaves. Bake on broiler pan for 2 to 2 1/2 hours at 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Cool loaves and slice into thick slabs. Meat can be frozen for future use. If (like me) you are not fortunate enough to own your own rotary-stick-cooker thing like the ones in the good shops, you may find that the inner parts of the loaf are not browned enough. This can be remedied by re-heating the meat in a frying pan. This browns it nicely and gives it that slightly chewier texture.

Preparation

Heat donair meat in a frying pan. Dip a pita bread in water and fry in frying pan to soften (this is VERY important). Place a generous amount of sauce on bread. Top with meat, chopped onions and tomatoes and finish off with lots more sauce. Put on some old clothes, then roll up or serve open face on a plate. Utensils are strictly forbidden.

------------------

HERE IS A LOCAL RECIPE POSTED BY A DAVE EAD...WHO WORKED AT
"SACKVILLE PIZZA AND DONAIR" AT THE TIME OF HIS PUBLISHING THIS
RECIPE.AUG 14 1998......THANKS DAVE!

DONAIR MEAT:

5 LBS HAMBURGER
2 TSP GARLIC POWDER
2 TSP ONION POWDER
2 TSP PAPRIKA
2 TSP RED PEPPER
1 1/2 TSP OREGANO
1/2 TSP BLACK PEPPER
2 TSP SALT
1 CUP BREAD CRUMBS
2 EGGS

BAKE 300 DEGREES FOR 1 1/2 HOURS

-------------------

Donairs

2-3 lbs lean hamburger
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp onion powder
1 1/2 - 2 tbsp Italian Seasonings
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder

Mix all ingredients together and press firmly into a glass casserole.
Poke pencil size holes here and there in the top. Bake at 350 deg
until well cooked, draining off fat every so often. Let cool some
before slicing.

---------------------

Donair Meat

5lbs ground meat regular or medium (not Lean)
1 cup chicken soup base (powder)
1/2 cup oregano (rub between hands to make a little finer)
1/2 cup garlic powder
1 tbsp black pepper
1-2 tbsp flour

Mix ingredients, pick up and slam on countertop for 5 min to improve texture.
Flatten in stainless steel lasagna pan, Bake 325 for 1&1/2 hr.

Slice and fry in nonstick pan when ready to serve. No oil needed.

Variations... Use 4lb ground beef with 1lb ground pork or lamb.
Substitute cajun spice or curry powder for black pepper

--------------------

~Donairs~

Ingredients:
(serves 5)
Meat: 2 1/2 lb beef, ground
1/4 ts pepper, granulated
1/2 ts pepper, cayenne
1/2 ts oregano, ground
1 1/2 ts msg (monosodium glutamate) (optional)
1 1/2 ts paprika
1 ts onion powder
1 ts garlic powder
salt as needed
1/2 cup breadcrumbs, dry

Sauce:
1 1/2 cup milk, evaporated
1/2 cup sugar, granulated
6 ts vinegar
1 1/2 ts garlic

Method
The donair meat recipe tastes remarkably like the meat served in
Nova Scotia takeout restaurants.
Meat: Put all ingredients into large bowl and knead meat (like bread) until
thoroughly mixed. Put into loaf pan and pack down; then empty onto a rack placed
on cookie sheet. Bake for 3 hours at 300 F. Cool and then slice. You can freeze
excess for later use.

--------------------

Meat: 1 lb. Lean Ground Beef
1 tsp. Flour
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Oregano
1/2 tsp. Dry Mustard
1/2 tsp. Italian Seasoning
1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
1/2 tsp. Cayenne Pepper

Mix the flour and all the spices well.

Knead the spice mixture into the meat VERY WELL.

Flatten the mixture into a thin loaf in a lightly greased loaf pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 55 minutes, draining the fat off occasionally.

Let cool at least an hour. Cut as desired and serve as desired.

===============================================================

And finish with the sauce recipes:

Donair Sauce
(adapted from King of Donair, on `Pizza Corner', Halifax)

2/3 cup canned evaporated milk (some call for just a half cup)
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Corn starch (optional)

Stir canned milk, sugar and garlic powder until sugar is dissolved. Add vinegar and continue mixing. The quicker you add the vinegar and the less you mix (I usually give the spoon 3 or 4 turns around the bowl), the thicker the sauce will be. Let sauce sit for at least one hour in refrigerator before using. Eventually (hours to days later), the sauce may start to separate. DO NOT STIR IT. Simply skim the thick sauce off the top. It tastes fine, despite the appearance that all the vinegar has seeped out of it.

You should be able to get thick sauce simply by following the instructions in the top recipe. I can get mine a bit thicker than yogurt. Occasionally, I blow it and stir too much and the sauce gets thin again. If your sauce is not thick enough (I like spoons to stand up in it) follow the recipe below. It is my new favorite.

Alternate SUPER-THICK Sauce Recipe (confirmed to be excellent)

2/3 cup canned sweetened condensed milk
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Corn starch (optional)

Follow the same instructions as above, except that you really need to stir for a long time to get the condensed milk and vinegar mixed properly. Do not be alarmed. Stirring this recipe for a long time will not make it thin. Leave set for a few minutes and you will be able to turn the bowl upside down and none of it will pour out.
or
try adding a teaspoon of corn starch and boiling it in a pot for a
few minutes. You should follow the directions on the corn starch box
for thickening sauces. Be careful though, I used too much and it was
remarkably thick (as I hoped) but it gained a starchy flavour.

Please note, the amount of sauce provided in this recipe will likely last two servings at most (if used properly). I find that the sauce can be made in larger batches and survives an unnaturally long time in the fridge.

----------------------

SAUCE

1 cup sugar
1 cup evaporated milk
8 tbsp white vinegar
1/2 - 1 tsp garlic powder

Mix sugar, garlic powder and milk until most of the sugar is
dissolved.

Put the vinegar in a cup and pour into the sugar mixture all at
once. Use a large spoon give only a couple of stirs and STOP! The
trick to the sauce is not to stir after the vinegar is added. The
sauce will go runny if it is stirred too much.

Put sauce in refrigerator for at least 30 mins before using. You
may stir it when you take it out to use.

-----------------------

Donair Sauce

2 cans Carnation milk (Regular not 2%)
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp sugar
1/2 to 1 tsp Granulated Garlic Powder

Wisk or put in jar and shake well

add 1/2 cup plus a smidgen Heinz Vinager (5% acidic)

------------------------

Sauce:
1 1/2 cup milk, evaporated
1/2 cup sugar, granulated
6 ts vinegar
1 1/2 ts garlic

Method

Chill milk in freezer for about half an hour. Whip milk in large bowl.
Add remainder and mix well. Serve immediately. Use the leftovers on anything you
want. Keeps about a week in the fridge, does NOT freeze.

Serving Method

To serve donairs, heat up a skillet and fry the cold strips/chunks/slices of
donair meat until they start to crisp up a little, place the pita bread (not
pocket pitas - use the thick kind!) on top of the warming meat, in the skillet,
to warm up and soften the bread a little, and then top the pita bread with
donair meat, shredded cheese, chopped tomatoes, chopped onions, shredded lettuce
and donair sauce on top. Roll it up neatly if you like. Me, I put the pita on
the plate, and pile stuff on top. Oh, and I've never seen *any*one use a fork
and knife with this!

------------------------

Sauce: 6 ounces Evaporated milk (NOT the sweetened kind)
2 1/2 tbsp. White Sugar
3/4 tsp. Garlic Powder
2 tbsp. White Vinegar

Whip together the evaporated milk, sugar, and garlic powder.

Add the vinegar. The vinegar will curdle the milk and the mixture will thicken
as you stir it.

-------------------------

1 can evaporated milk(not skim or 2%)
1/2 cup white sugar
40ml white vinegar
1/2 tsp garlic powder(optional)

Now the most important thing about making the sauce is making it
thick. So add the milk and sugar,and garlic powder if you like that
flavor, together and mix really really well until the sugar is
disolved (do not use an electric mixer it won't work) then take the
vinegar and while still stirring the milk and sugar(very fast with a
spoon) add the vinegar very slow,just let it trickle into the milk
and sugar and keep mixing for about 5sec. after all the vinegar is
added then stop.The sauce should already be thick and ready to use.
The sauce will last in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.

=============

That should keep you for a while,lol. Enjoy!!!

« Last Edit: Dec 15, 2005, 01:30 AM by Gr8full »

Shit machine gun

« Reply #15 on: Dec 15, 2005, 07:29 AM »
Gr8full,
You shall forever be known as the Donair Guy. 
I've made my own meat 3 times and I've never bothered with the triple ground, but next time that's what I'll be doing.  I usually grab a few packs of the meat when i'm down east and freeze it for the trip back. 
I've had lots of people say that it tastes the same as they used to get in the maritimes.  With homemade, you have to fry it up unless you have a donair rotisserie in your kitchen.
2009-2010 TPB FANTASY HOCKEY CHAMPION. 

"I can be bought. If they paid me enough, I'd work for the Klan." - Charles Barkley

I HATE Conky

"I hear chicken, cola fizz, mustard and relish, all coagulatin together, and french fries and onion rings, but you know what, I don't hear a heart, Motherfucker"

BC Babe

• my store!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 15, 2005, 12:28 PM »
Hey, awesome! Thx Gr8full, think I'm going to have to set aside a day to do this. I can't find any good donairs around where I am right now, so this is great! Thanks again, you rock!!  :P
Yeah, whatever.....

Tipsy McStagger

« Reply #17 on: Dec 15, 2005, 02:47 PM »
shake...does that doair place deliver. thanks

"i ahve qit the org cuz ppl wont maid ther own bussin" - greenbasterd

shake

« Reply #18 on: Dec 15, 2005, 02:52 PM »
I don't think so Tipsy.

Bailey

« Reply #19 on: Dec 15, 2005, 05:36 PM »
Wow gr8full, most awesome job there matey, the Donair Guy title will fit you well :P

I think i'm going to make some for xmas, can never have enough food lol.

Cheers again.

bigbenjamin

« Reply #20 on: Apr 08, 2006, 12:24 AM »
Thanks to the guy (Gr8full) who authored this topic last year, cause tonight I finally followed his donair recipe, making some substitutions - and it was delicious. My variants from the original recipe at the top of this thread were: I used very thinly sliced steak and added the spices, rather than making the baked hamburger mixture, and I added sliced Strubb Pickles, used 12" tortilla for the wrap and pressed it in a panini press. btw, that crazy cream, vinegar, garlic powder and sugar sauce was actually very tasty!

Yummy in the tummy cheers!

Ghostdog

• Apple Seed
« Reply #21 on: Apr 08, 2006, 12:29 AM »
"Jack never even took one step of his own ....yet he traveled so far".

Letter's to my little boy Jack

Julians_Wife

« Reply #22 on: Apr 08, 2006, 02:43 AM »
yum, I'm going to have to try this recipe forsure then, and BB don't just love your panini press? It's handy and I'm glad they are more mainstream now, the one I originally had came from Italy but sadly last year I had to retire it and buy a new one!

bigbenjamin

« Reply #23 on: Apr 08, 2006, 11:33 AM »
yum, I'm going to have to try this recipe forsure then, and BB don't just love your panini press? It's handy and I'm glad they are more mainstream now, the one I originally had came from Italy but sadly last year I had to retire it and buy a new one!

Yes, the panini press rules, got mine for a recent birthday. Kitchen toys are always on my birthday lists, got a nice waffle iron from my daughter. Got any kitchen hang-ups or odd druthers? I will not allow aluminum in my kitchen - steel or iron, preferably iron. Aluminum is an unstable alloy at high heats, it leeches into the food. Iron also leeches slightly - but only adds more healthy iron to the food.

kitchen toy cheers!

Julians_Wife

« Reply #24 on: Apr 08, 2006, 12:33 PM »
Yes, the panini press rules, got mine for a recent birthday. Kitchen toys are always on my birthday lists, got a nice waffle iron from my daughter. Got any kitchen hang-ups or odd druthers? I will not allow aluminum in my kitchen - steel or iron, preferably iron. Aluminum is an unstable alloy at high heats, it leeches into the food. Iron also leeches slightly - but only adds more healthy iron to the food.

kitchen toy cheers!

Kitchen toys are on all of my lists, not just birthday lol I think out of all the toys I use the most would have to be my GF grill and my panini press, my biggest hang up would be a messy or unorganised kitchen. I don't use aluminum either, it's too cheap, things burn easily because it's too thin of an alloy and in general it's a pain in the ass to work with and clean up is a bitch lol. Everything I have is pretty much 100% stainless steel or cast iron just like yourself.