Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: Latest Updates  (Read 2712 times)

cat-dog

Latest Updates
« on: Aug 16, 2004, 08:41 PM »
I've done a bit of maintenance today on the forums, fixed some errors in the new colour scheme, as well as added a few (hopefully) useful features:

- Anonymous visitors (not registered) cannot view profiles, memberlist, see who is online, as well as not being able to post. (Trying to get lurkers to register)

- Get latest forum updates on your desktop! (If you have a Windows computer that supports Active Desktop, you can now see the latest posts right on your desktop..

- Hopefully fixed posts with large images that were sometimes breaking the layout

- Who's Online section now shows who has visited over the past 24 hours & displays user picture and welcomes user.

- Private Message notification now also in your status bar (bottom left) "You have no new messages" / "You have new messages" (in case your popup blocker prevents the default notification)

- Online list now shows users over the past 15min (previously past 5min)

- Added avatar images to memberlist.

- Added Posts per Day to section with posts #, location, avatar, etc..

- Updated some of the new colour scheme icons with marijuana-related buttons (aiming to change them all) - will try and get this finished asap.

Will continue to update as I see fit, suggestions for features are welcome as always.

Cheers!
"There's a difference between being old school, and being old and still in school."

bigbenjamin

Latest Updates
« Reply #1 on: Aug 17, 2004, 12:54 AM »
very successful and fast cat-dog - i'm sticking with the lighter and brighter "parklite" - i hope folks who were bothered by the darker original board will figure out how to switch. again , many thanks for your thoughtful maintenance of this happy board!

cat-dog

Latest Updates
« Reply #2 on: Aug 17, 2004, 01:55 AM »
[UPDATE]: To get the latest forum news right on your desktop (in windows xp), right click on your desktop, choose "Properties". Choose the "Desktop" tab,  click "Customize Desktop" & choose the "Web" tab. Click "New..." and for the location put: http://www.trailerparkboys.org/phpbb/desktop.php - Click OK, and it should Synchronize with the server, and then you just close that up, and you should be rockin'.

If you are familliar with RSS Newsfeeds, we also have the latest forum news accessable via: http://www.trailerparkboys.org/phpbb/rss.php

(One program I use for RSS Newstrackers is WinBar http://www.winbar.nl - let me know if you're interested in getting the .trk file for it)
"There's a difference between being old school, and being old and still in school."

cat-dog

Latest Updates
« Reply #3 on: Aug 17, 2004, 11:08 PM »
Next thing I have planned to try and integrate into the forum is File Attachments.. which would enable you to upload a file from the post window, that would be stored on this server (so you dont have to worry about posting big red X's from sites that don't allow remote linking) and included in your message. It's a feature that I've used on many other boards, and hopefully it will prove to be an asset here as well.

Witch-Ho

Latest Updates
« Reply #4 on: Aug 17, 2004, 11:35 PM »
Ahh yeah hey alright, remote linking is one of the only technical problems I've had on this site! U RULE

cat-dog

Latest Updates
« Reply #5 on: Aug 19, 2004, 02:41 PM »
Quote from: Witch-Ho
Ahh yeah hey alright, remote linking is one of the only technical problems I've had on this site! U RULE

Just to update, the file attachment modification has been added, and you should notice it below the message window (when posting)

[attachment deleted by admin]

QAFgurl

• http://spaces.msn.com/members/stace1020/
Latest Updates
« Reply #6 on: Sep 15, 2004, 05:38 PM »
Thanx for everything that you do Catdog :)
Avoid the mourning after, don't drink and drive

cat-dog

Latest Updates
« Reply #7 on: Sep 15, 2004, 05:48 PM »
Just made this section so you have to be registered to read the messages. Whoever Friendly on the Outside is on showcase seems to feel the need to relay posts from this site to the moderator in hopes of shutting us down. Just trying to keep things safe here.

Saucy Bastard

Latest Updates
« Reply #8 on: Sep 15, 2004, 05:54 PM »
Glad that you are on top of all that!
"Why not go out on a limb? That's where the fruit is." --Will Rogers
"Get off that limb , that's where all the nuts are!" --Mrs. Saucy

-Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice?

Witch-Ho

Latest Updates
« Reply #9 on: Sep 15, 2004, 06:48 PM »
Quote from: cat-dog
Just made this section so you have to be registered to read the messages. Whoever Friendly on the Outside is on showcase seems to feel the need to relay posts from this site to the moderator in hopes of shutting us down. Just trying to keep things safe here.
 Is it the entire forum section or just subsections that are now semi-private?  Just curious.  Also, is that you in the example attachment photo you posted?  Again just curious  :wink:  Which also reminds me, why do my emoticons not work when I clearly see everyone elses?  I just reinstalled my OS maybe that's it?  
 :D  :)  :(  :o  :shock:  :?  8)  :lol:  ????

cat-dog

Latest Updates
« Reply #10 on: Sep 18, 2004, 03:10 PM »
Quote from: Witch-Ho
Is it the entire forum section or just subsections that are now semi-private?  Just curious.  Also, is that you in the example attachment photo you posted?  Again just curious  :wink:  Which also reminds me, why do my emoticons not work when I clearly see everyone elses?  I just reinstalled my OS maybe that's it?  
 :D  :)  :(  :o  :shock:  :?  8)  :lol:  ????

I've actually now just gone & made the whole forum, except the news / announcements section blocked to the public/unregistered. So just a reminder to people don't say anything in there you don't want anyone to be able to read. The other forums are now protected from outsiders (GES & crew) - as I noticed he relayed a post bigben made in the general area to the showcase forum. If he expects to obtain anymore info from this site, he's going to have to register.

Are your smilies working again? there's an option to "[ ] Disable Smilies in this post" or in your profile "Always Enable Smilies"

hope that helps.
cheers

Pipes

Latest Updates
« Reply #11 on: Sep 18, 2004, 03:55 PM »
Whoa, CD, you look so much different from your picture of a few years ago that you posted in the gallery section. If I didn't know any better, I'd say it was a different guy heh Anywho, thank for everything you've done and are continuing to do, bro. You are the frickin' man!  :cheers:  Lates.

"(half-whispering) Ah...fuck!"-Jacob, upon seeing Ricky pull up to the gas pump in his "shitmobile"
"I just don't know how to express myself sometimes when I need to be properly different."-Ricky

cat-dog

Latest Updates
« Reply #12 on: Sep 18, 2004, 05:48 PM »
Quote from: Pipes
Whoa, CD, you look so much different from your picture of a few years ago that you posted in the gallery section. If I didn't know any better, I'd say it was a different guy heh

I really need to dig up a small collection of pictures I have from over the years. Each one hardly resembles the other :)