Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: Supporting This Site  (Read 4754 times)

bigbenjamin

Supporting This Site
« on: Aug 14, 2004, 12:50 AM »
Each time I visit this site i click on the two ads at the bottom of the page. By doing this we help to support the site and pay for prizes for our contests. How else might we help this righteous site prosper?  I'd be willing to have an annual membership fee . . . or? What else?

fuck_offer

Supporting This Site
« Reply #1 on: Aug 14, 2004, 12:54 AM »
Donations i think bb.

bigbenjamin

Supporting This Site
« Reply #2 on: Aug 14, 2004, 12:58 AM »
Quote from: fuck_offer
Donations i think bb.

HOW?

Detriot Velvet Smooth

Supporting This Site
« Reply #3 on: Aug 14, 2004, 01:02 AM »
PayPal...if there was a membership a lot of support would be lost
I wanted a lady, not fuckin cory and trevor

BoTTleKid

• http://kemicalimbalance.deviantart.com
Supporting This Site
« Reply #4 on: Aug 14, 2004, 01:04 AM »
Quote from: Detriot Velvet Smooth

True enough. I for one would be inclined to pack my bags if there were member fees. That's just rediculous.
"...he keeps stickin' a fuckin' gun in my face."
-

kill-switch

Supporting This Site
« Reply #5 on: Aug 14, 2004, 03:45 AM »
How many times can you click on them?  Say if you sit and click them for like 5 mins, would that work, or does it only work once everytime you log on?

cat-dog

Supporting This Site
« Reply #6 on: Aug 14, 2004, 10:55 AM »
Quote from: kill-switch
How many times can you click on them?  Say if you sit and click them for like 5 mins, would that work, or does it only work once everytime you log on?

One thing I do, is just try and click a different/new one every day :)

It counts page impressions (hits) as well as clicks, so I imagine sitting there for 5mins works somewhat.

I would never even think of instuting membership fees, however.. if people seem to show an interest in donating, I'd be willing to setup a paypal link or something to facilitate your request. As I said before though, any money the Google ads bring in, goes directly towards stuff for you guys, I have no interest in making money for myself off this.
"There's a difference between being old school, and being old and still in school."

Witch-Ho

Supporting This Site
« Reply #7 on: Aug 15, 2004, 06:49 AM »
Quote from: BoTTleKid

True enough. I for one would be inclined to pack my bags if there were member fees. That's just rediculous.

I've seen sites that had an optional PayPal link, so that the site was free but you could still click on it and donate however much you wanted... possible idea?  This site deserves props and at least enough $ to keep it going... and we all want trivia prizes  :wink:

bigbenjamin

Supporting This Site
« Reply #8 on: Aug 15, 2004, 01:57 PM »
"I've seen sites that had an optional PayPal link, so that the site was free but you could still click on it and donate however much you wanted... possible idea? This site deserves props and at least enough $ to keep it going... and we all want trivia prizes "

Excellent suggestion, Witch-ho. How 'bout that cat-dog? It must cost you something to keep this thing up and running. (maybe if a member donates, he/she gets a little donor icon attached to there handle? bump!)
Think on it.

smokey

• http://www.torontomapleleafs.com
Supporting This Site
« Reply #9 on: Aug 16, 2004, 04:31 PM »
I agree with BoTTleKid, annual fees for forums are ridiculous. i click the ads 5 times every time i come in...
it's more than just a walkie.

Witch-Ho

Supporting This Site
« Reply #10 on: Aug 17, 2004, 07:20 AM »
I see that the Paypal link was implemented, and it does work!  I'm pretty darned broke right now, and I just switched to a new bank account, so I thought I wasn't going to be able to use it.  Then I remembered that I had an outstanding balance in Paypal from where I got a refund once, a whole whopping $0.90!  It sat around for a year or two, with me thinking "what the hell will I ever find to buy on the internet with $.90".  Then it dawned on me- that's $0.90 YANKEE DOLLARS, which makes it $1.12 in Canada!  Why, that's almost enough to buy a piece of pepperoni!  So I sent it to this site, I'm hoping it sets the record for being both your first, and your smallest Paypal donation.  Thanks for all the great work  :D  BTW I like the 'average posts per day' feature below my icon.  Gawd I had no idea I was so verbose...

Ghostdog

• Apple Seed
Supporting This Site
« Reply #11 on: Aug 17, 2004, 02:28 PM »
I just withdrew all my money in my PAYPAL account ,  but I should have some stuff going in later today so I'll see what I can do:)
"Jack never even took one step of his own ....yet he traveled so far".

Letter's to my little boy Jack

bigbenjamin

Supporting This Site
« Reply #12 on: Aug 17, 2004, 04:13 PM »
Made a paypal donation as soon as the thing was installed, and felt good doing it.  :wink: !

Detriot Velvet Smooth

Supporting This Site
« Reply #13 on: Aug 17, 2004, 04:26 PM »
MAYBE at the next Orbit we can all take a collection and donate it to the site, give it to BB then he donates that same amounth through pay pal

bigbenjamin

Supporting This Site
« Reply #14 on: Aug 17, 2004, 04:38 PM »
MAYBE at the next Orbit we can all take a collection and donate it to the site, give it to BB then he donates that same amounth through pay pal

Yeah, i like that plan - everybody gives me their scrilla. hehehe :twisted: !

Detriot Velvet Smooth

Supporting This Site
« Reply #15 on: Aug 17, 2004, 04:48 PM »
Well I'm talking like $5 each, then we count the money there, and post then cat dog can say he recived it, if he doesn't then a shiticane will start lol

bigbenjamin

Supporting This Site
« Reply #16 on: Aug 17, 2004, 06:04 PM »
Sounds like a plan DVS - did you get the vhs & dvd shelf pics i sent to yr pm? i'll put the fuller pic of vhs shelves that you were looking at in our members, pics album - see anything you like :roll: :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v451/bigbenjamin/vhsshelf.jpg

Ghostdog

• Apple Seed
Supporting This Site
« Reply #17 on: Aug 17, 2004, 06:14 PM »
Hey I just made a donation(Not Much) but if everyone that uses it did it then we can keep it going:)

cat-dog

Supporting This Site
« Reply #18 on: Aug 17, 2004, 06:16 PM »

That would be awesome! I still need to look into prices for printing up some t-shirts, and price for silkscreening, etc.. but after this next game of trivia (starting really really soon btw) I'd like to focus any google ad money, or donations towards making the t-shirt idea a reality. Have some random giveaways & stuff for you regulars.

I hope all these ads & stuff don't make us look cheap, cause I hate giving the impression of forcing people to either donate, or click banners. But in the same sense, it's a nice perk for people who are posting, and end up getting free stuff just for doing what they would be doing anyways. Hmm, as long as you guys & gals don't mind it too much anyways :)
"There's a difference between being old school, and being old and still in school."

Witch-Ho

Supporting This Site
« Reply #19 on: Aug 17, 2004, 09:09 PM »
Ha ha it took me several days before I even noticed the little advertisements at the bottom of the screen!  I'm using the 'dark version', maybe they show up more in the trailer-park lite scheme?  At any rate they seem innocuous enough... besides *everybody's doing it*  :wink:

fuck_offer

Supporting This Site
« Reply #20 on: Aug 17, 2004, 09:18 PM »
Quote from: cat-dog

That would be awesome! I still need to look into prices for printing up some t-shirts, and price for silkscreening, etc.. but after this next game of trivia (starting really really soon btw) I'd like to focus any google ad money, or donations towards making the t-shirt idea a reality. Have some random giveaways & stuff for you regulars.

I hope all these ads & stuff don't make us look cheap, cause I hate giving the impression of forcing people to either donate, or click banners. But in the same sense, it's a nice perk for people who are posting, and end up getting free stuff just for doing what they would be doing anyways. Hmm, as long as you guys & gals don't mind it too much anyways :)

What crazy maahfucker gave you that baaaam shirt idea?
(Is that the lovely Susannah, havn't talked to you in a while. :wink:
Yeah i'd donate but i don't have a card lol, I'd do a wiretransfer or a money order.

bigbenjamin

Supporting This Site
« Reply #21 on: Aug 17, 2004, 09:20 PM »
So, are you really in Thunder Bay, cat-dog? If so, come on down to the 2nd Orbit party - we can find you a place to crash afterwards - and you could accept our donations personally. Could that happen?
(otherwise i'm happy to be treasurer and paypal it to you as DVS proposed) - k?

cat-dog

Supporting This Site
« Reply #22 on: Aug 17, 2004, 11:05 PM »
Quote from: bigbenjamin
So, are you really in Thunder Bay, cat-dog? If so, come on down to the 2nd Orbit party - we can find you a place to crash afterwards - and you could accept our donations personally. Could that happen?
(otherwise i'm happy to be treasurer and paypal it to you as DVS proposed) - k?

I'm really in Thunder Bay, it's really lonely up here, moved from London, ON a little over a year ago, really miss the nightlife of a big city. Thunder Bay is so fucked up too, it's really a different world up here. I had a 26ft moving truck in the driveway for a week when we moved here, and I have yet to meet any of my neighbours, I said hi to a lady next door once, but that's it.. weirdos..

Anyways.. about the Orbit party, I don't see it happening unfortunately... 17h is just too long of a drive, and it's going to be a while before I'm able to build up more aeroplan points for a free flight (girlfriend just got my cousin a free ticket up here as a suprize b-day present).

Incidently my cousin would have been at the Orbit if he didn't have to work that night, hopefully he can make it to the next one in my place or something :) But I'm sure everyone would trust you to do a good job of treasurer, and if not.. they seem to have expressed some interests in the art of bone breaking  :shock:

Ghostdog

• Apple Seed
Supporting This Site
« Reply #23 on: Aug 18, 2004, 07:27 AM »
Goooood Moooorning Everyone:) :lol:

bigbenjamin

Supporting This Site
« Reply #24 on: Aug 18, 2004, 10:15 AM »
Morning Ghost! How's it going? And cat-dog - WHY are you in T.B. if it is so shitty? Gotta run - catch you later - Cheers!