Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: nova trailer park scotia  (Read 2655 times)

zarathustra449

nova trailer park scotia
« on: Oct 20, 2005, 06:44 AM »
alright folks,

i'm a big fan of TPB, have been for over a year now and have watched the series back to back, time and time again. i'm over here in scotland so have been just downloading them from the web, which has been excellent too. here's a question for you though, i was watching 'if i can't smoke or swear i'm fucked' for the millionth time and in the court room i could swear that i saw the royal coat of arms (lion rampant), the original flag of scotland in the background to the left of the judge, opposite the canadian flag. can anyone give me confirmation of that? it looks like it's on the background of a pale whitish/blue flag. i of course know the translation for nova scotia, but it would interest me greatly if you could shed some light. it's pretty funny because there are some surprising similarities with language used as well, for example, 'arsehole', to use the word 'asshole' in scotland is extremely rare, it is always 'arsehole' as it suits the accent better, (surely of course there is a better explanation than my one), also to call someone an 'edjit' is very common, and the consistent usage of the word 'aye' is ubiquitous here, but it is said more like 'eye'.

anyway, anyone with knowledge of the nova scotian way, would love to hear from you

martin, glasgow, scotland

JulianRocks

Re: nova trailer park scotia
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 2005, 06:52 AM »
Hi there! Welcome to the park! What you seen was the flag of Nova Scotia.

Here is some info you may find interesting ( from our government website ):

The flag of Nova Scotia was the first flag in the overseas Commonwealth to be authorized by Royal Charter. Derived from the ancient Arms granted in 1625 by King Charles I, it is a symbol of the crown in the right of the province. It is now flown on provincial buildings and on public and private flagstaffs throughout the province.

The original flag design is on a ground of silver with a Saltire Azure-blue St. Andrew's cross. The Royal Arms of Scotland is arranged as an escutcheon (within a shield shape) upon the St. Andrew's cross—gold with red lion rampant. The lion has a blue tongue and is within a double border of red. The border contains eight fleur-de-lis—one on each corner and one between each corner—each depicted top or bottom from each border starting with upper left corner up, next down, right corner up, etc., but not spanning across the borders. The breadth of the flag is three-quarters of the length.

Nova Scotia flag - flat view

StoneChimes

« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 2005, 07:03 AM »
HEy! Nice to meet u.

Are u really Zarathustrian? I've seen that it's one of the oldest continuous religions on earth! with a lot of customs similar to the Koori and Torres Strait Island people of Australia. My ex gf went to a friend's Zarathustrian wedding last year in Puna India during a mind expansion trek and had a ball. Any info appreciated.

ANd have fun!!  :leaf:
“It’s funny that pirates were always going around searching for treasure, and they never realized that the real treasure was the fond memories they were creating.”
—Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

Refuckulator

• Matt's Design Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: Oct 20, 2005, 02:22 PM »
I love our NS flag!!!!!! There is just something about it that I really like!!
Follow me: @MattRichBedard

sl4y3rk1ng

« Reply #4 on: Oct 20, 2005, 03:31 PM »
yes,thats the NS flag,alot of NS came from scotland,i live in a town called New Glasgow  8)

Perini Scleroso

« Reply #5 on: Oct 20, 2005, 04:32 PM »
 " there are some surprising similarities with language used as well, for example, 'arsehole', to use the word 'asshole' in scotland is extremely rare, it is always 'arsehole' as it suits the accent better "  . . .

A good friend of mine is from Cape Breton, ( in fact, her family land backs on to Rita Macneil's ), and she says that many of the expressions and mannerisms of people down east are very similar to Scottish, as mentioned, because of all the large number of immigrants from the British Isles.    :)
Gorilla see, Gorrilla do!

Rappy

« Reply #6 on: Oct 21, 2005, 08:24 PM »
The great Alexander Keith was from Scotland :)

RockJ

« Reply #7 on: Oct 21, 2005, 08:46 PM »
Alexander Keith, he is in a beer commercial isn't he???????
Damn it sucks not being able to see the episodes first hand again!!!

Refuckulator

• Matt's Design Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: Oct 22, 2005, 10:59 AM »
...no. That is just some kind of beer worshipper :P
Follow me: @MattRichBedard

sl4y3rk1ng

« Reply #9 on: Oct 22, 2005, 03:08 PM »
no,isnt alexander keith make beer,hes long dead,he invented the brew alexander keiths unique name  :P :beeer:

Rappy

« Reply #10 on: Oct 23, 2005, 04:39 PM »
He's somthing like 210 years old

SgtMeowsteen

• My Space site
« Reply #11 on: Oct 23, 2005, 09:44 PM »
I have a feeling Alexander Keith is Ol' Dirty's "higher power" outside of the AA meetings. Especially now that hockey is back on. :lol: :lol:
You might be sexy Julian....but you can't teach me anything about liquor....
-Fackin Lahey

Canuckguy

« Reply #12 on: Oct 23, 2005, 09:52 PM »
I find it interesting that Europeans and Aussies love the show....I never thought it would translate well over there because I figured the culture was so different.  But then again we had one person from the middle east here so I guess its a funny show in any culture.  Not sure what happened to them but they were from the United Arab Emirates

roadtriprob

« Reply #13 on: Oct 25, 2005, 06:20 PM »
The Nova Scotia flag is something I hold dear. So much so I had it tatooed on my right arm to let everyone in the west know where I'm from . WELCOME!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Road trip. The ultimate survival game. Where men can be boys!