Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: µTorrent Joins the BitTorrent Herd  (Read 2997 times)

Moloko_Plus

µTorrent Joins the BitTorrent Herd
« on: Oct 08, 2005, 06:12 PM »
We've seen clients ranging from Python-based mods such as BitTornado to fully-featured java-based clients like Azureus. C++ applications in the form of BitComet have also spun off from the original client.

While feature rich, Azureus' major downfall is its java-based core which requires a significant amount of computer resources in order to run stable. Those who have lower-end PCs or those who simply don't want to dedicate the majority of their resources to one application turn to lighter, more suitable clients for their needs.

Until now, BitComet has been one of the most popular alternative clients to Azureus. It contains enough of Azureus' features to satisfy those searching for a decent torrent manager while keeping a low CPU and memory footprint.

It's this sacrifice of unneeded features over performance that can be a deciding factor when choosing a client. Now, BitTorrent users have one more choice in the growing fields of lightweight torrent clients - µTorrent. This new client brings additional competition as µTorrent appears to be the lightest application in the BitTorrent scene.

While running the application, µTorrent peaked at around 4K memory usage. This low footprint is over 10K lower than that of BitComet, which not only benefits the end user but offers additional benefits to the BitTorrent community. Its low resource consumption allows users who would otherwise close their download to continue seeding while continuing with other tasks.

The addition of µTorrent to the BitTorrent world has been warmly received by many avid torrent users. A brief exception to this occurred when an early bug caused µTorrent to send incorrect statistics to the invite-only music tracker Oink. The µTorrent developers quickly responded to this by releasing version 1.1.3, which squashed this bug and placed the client back in Oink's good books.

In a market of freeware applications to choose from, µTorrent has certainly found a niche that will continue to attract a growing userbase and earn itself a rightful place in the BitTorrent community.

Download it at: http://www.utorrent.com/

Mat2001uk

• OmnipotentMushroom
Re: µTorrent Joins the BitTorrent Herd
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 07:38 AM »
Just to let you know, I am currently using a public machine in my local Library, and utorrent is running of my USB Drive (how f*n cool is that?!).

If only there were some seeds for TPB the movie, I would be able to tell you about speeds and such...

http://filesoup.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=154517&st=0&#entry1218229

Matt
I drink, I write, and I smoke.
I have been known to multi-task on the above.

Rocket Surgeon

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 10:57 AM »
I've been using µTorrent for close to a year now and have had excellent luck with it.  There are a couple of security tips to be aware of with any bittorent client, especially if you reside in the Estados Unidos.   Change the listening port from the default settings to a high number unassigned port using private port numbers 49152 through 65535.  ISPs and other organizations will look for traffic on known bittorrent ports so you are less likely to have your traffic monitored by changing the port number.  Additionally, using an IP blocker like PeerGuardian 2, available from http://phoenixlabs.org/pg2/, can further protect against your P2P traffic from being monitored.  Please note these steps can reduce the chance of your P2P traffic from being monitored, not eliminate it.  Applying good sense, as always, is the best method to keep you out of trouble.
"We're all victims of our own gene pools.  Somebody must have peed in yours"

Mat2001uk

• OmnipotentMushroom
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 08:22 AM »
...hmmmmmm, selected port 49152, am trying for Season 6 Episode 1 (torrent linked from this forae), so far no seeds no nothing - one peer but he vanished quickly.

Methinks I will have to investigate further, or give up. Ach.
I drink, I write, and I smoke.
I have been known to multi-task on the above.

RangerF150

« Reply #4 on: Jun 15, 2007, 04:22 PM »
A judge has ordered Torrent Spy to divulge IP's , Torrent Spy has said that they don't keep IP's and don't have that info.
Judge countered that the information is stored in RAM, and has ordered them to collect it....

You pays your money and takes your chances :-)
Don't matter how little you know, someone out there know's even less !

tellkyle

« Reply #5 on: Jun 15, 2007, 05:39 PM »
I could be wrong but it seems like the stuff wouldn't be in the ram when they pull the ram out of the server? 
"Marijuana is the flame, heroin is the fuse, LSD is the bomb."
--Sgt. Joe Friday

'cuz both black and white are smokin' crack tonight  -- tupac amaru shakur

RangerF150

« Reply #6 on: Jun 16, 2007, 05:02 AM »
I could be wrong but it seems like the stuff wouldn't be in the ram when they pull the ram out of the server? 
Nope your correct !
They have been ordered to retrieve the information from the RAM in-situ.
Don't matter how little you know, someone out there know's even less !

Shit machine gun

« Reply #7 on: Jun 16, 2007, 07:16 AM »
come and get me big boys.  You'll never take my computer alive.
2009-2010 TPB FANTASY HOCKEY CHAMPION. 

"I can be bought. If they paid me enough, I'd work for the Klan." - Charles Barkley

I HATE Conky

"I hear chicken, cola fizz, mustard and relish, all coagulatin together, and french fries and onion rings, but you know what, I don't hear a heart, Motherfucker"

Rocket Surgeon

« Reply #8 on: Jun 16, 2007, 11:00 AM »
There's always this option:

[youtube=425,350]Ij6huKsW0Z0[/youtube]

Make sure you use Sunkist thermite as in the example...
"We're all victims of our own gene pools.  Somebody must have peed in yours"

Shit machine gun

« Reply #9 on: Jun 16, 2007, 12:04 PM »
Might make a mess in my computer room in the basement
2009-2010 TPB FANTASY HOCKEY CHAMPION. 

"I can be bought. If they paid me enough, I'd work for the Klan." - Charles Barkley

I HATE Conky

"I hear chicken, cola fizz, mustard and relish, all coagulatin together, and french fries and onion rings, but you know what, I don't hear a heart, Motherfucker"