Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: do you cook?  (Read 9611 times)

shake

Re: do you cook?
« Reply #25 on: Sep 15, 2005, 08:45 PM »
I don't cook at all.  I live and work downtown and I usually get my lunch at a place across from my work that has hot and cold food in a buffet style, pretty good variety so you can pick whatever you feel like eating at the time. You pay by the weight of the food, and if you know what to do you can get a well-balanced meal at a pretty reasonable price.

On the way home from work I may go to Subway and get the cheap half size cold cut combo loaded with vegetables, under $4.00.  Or I may get a shawarma or already cooked chicken parts with already cut vegetables from the grocery store.  It may be cheaper to cook but at least it's quicker, I don't have to worry about food going bad, and I don't have to clean up
« Last Edit: Dec 19, 2011, 08:58 AM by Fishyneil »

Canuckguy

« Reply #26 on: Sep 15, 2005, 08:56 PM »
mmmmm sounds tasty shake and very convenient, wish I lived closer to the nice downtown restaurant buffets. We have an italian restaurant/butcher/deli/winery/grocery store here that has a really nice buffet but its a good 30min drive out of the way in rush hour at the very least. They even make chocolate and their own icecreams, its a pricy store though.
« Last Edit: Dec 19, 2011, 08:59 AM by Fishyneil »

Jen

« Reply #27 on: Dec 15, 2005, 06:19 AM »
Yes, I love to cook but more of a baker, thanks to my Mom, who always asked me to bake something on Sunday afternoons for the lunches and holidays. Growing up, I dont ever remember my Mom buying baked goods - she always made things from scratch. She doesnt so much now as she has 3 step-kids at home and 3 grandchildren on the weekends usually - so, she is pretty busy as the step-kids dont help out much. After my Mom left my Dad, I tried to encourage my sister to bake but she never really got into it like I did. When she was 16, she invited her bf for supper and wanted to make a lemon meringue pie. I had to work, so couldnt help her but when I arrived home, they were sitting outside. I went into the house and there was the pie and the meringue was flat and crusty, I was able to scrape it off and made a new batch for it. I left the pie on the counter and didnt say anything to her becuz he was there etc. When she came into the kitchen, I heard her say, "My pie turned out after all". She thought the meringue went from flat to fluffy on its own. We still laugh about that.

EvilTwin

« Reply #28 on: Dec 15, 2005, 07:33 AM »
I cook dinner every night for the wife and daughter. I have nothing better to do, being unemployed and all. :lol:
I do like to cook, though, and can usually whip up some pretty good stuff. My wife loves to bake and can do it while wearing a black outfit and never get a so much as a pinch of flour on herself. :?

Bailey

« Reply #29 on: Dec 15, 2005, 05:28 PM »
I cook dinner every night for the wife and daughter. I have nothing better to do, being unemployed and all. :lol:
I do like to cook, though, and can usually whip up some pretty good stuff. My wife loves to bake and can do it while wearing a black outfit and never get a so much as a pinch of flour on herself. :?
Heh, that's a great description ET.

Mr 420

« Reply #30 on: Dec 15, 2005, 07:21 PM »
I was a Chef in a hotel for many years.
Last place i worked was the Rimrock Hotel in Banff. I was the main dining room chef. In the winters i ran the day lodge at Sunshine Ski Village. So some of you's might of seen me before. Silver City was the bar i hung out at and a english pub to that for some reason i just cant think of the name  8)

But yes im a handy dood in the kitchen and thats why the ladies love me 8)

JulianRocks

« Reply #31 on: Dec 15, 2005, 07:23 PM »
When she was 16, she invited her bf for supper and wanted to make a lemon meringue pie. I had to work, so couldnt help her but when I arrived home, they were sitting outside. I went into the house and there was the pie and the meringue was flat and crusty, I was able to scrape it off and made a new batch for it. I left the pie on the counter and didnt say anything to her becuz he was there etc. When she came into the kitchen, I heard her say, "My pie turned out after all". She thought the meringue went from flat to fluffy on its own. We still laugh about that.

:lol: Cute story Jen!! I bet there's alot of ppl who wish their pies could do that!  ;) :lol:

RumNCoke

« Reply #32 on: Dec 15, 2005, 07:33 PM »
While I'm away at school I have to cook for myself or else I starve. I'm certainly not going to eat out every day. I make pasta with tomato sauce often. I don't use that Prego or Ragu shit. I usually buy plane tomato sauce and jazz it up with either chicken or sausage and spices. Sometimes instead of tomato sauce I use low fat ricotta cheese. I also make pretty good chili. When I don't feel like pasta it's usually grilled chicken with steamed vegetables and rice. Tomorrow I'm going to make spinach and ricotta cannelloni for the first time. 

roadtriprob

« Reply #33 on: Dec 18, 2005, 02:04 PM »
 My specialty is wild game but I also love open fire meals : spiced potatoe cubes
                                                                              : Corn on the cob
                                                                              : Fresh rainbow trout with onions , butter and citrus
                                                                                spice wrapped in tinfoil
Road trip. The ultimate survival game. Where men can be boys!

Julians_Wife

« Reply #34 on: Apr 09, 2006, 12:21 AM »
I LOVE to cook and bake and I always love to try new things. I have wall/bookcase that's loaded with all kinds of cookbooks and if I see some on sale I buy more lol, on my other puter I have a ton of recipes and god knows how many bookmarks to recipe sites. I started learning how to cook /bake at a very young age as well and most of the stuff was always made from scratch, because that's how my Nona taught me. I used to love waking up every morning to the smell of her fresh bread that she made us .......... oh some day I'll do it for someone too ;o)

Canuckguy

« Reply #35 on: Apr 10, 2006, 08:59 PM »
I love cooking and BBQing, but I cant bake worth shit.  And I can never seem to make a prime roast the way my mom does.

Saucy Bastard

« Reply #36 on: Apr 10, 2006, 09:38 PM »
I love cooking and BBQing, but I cant bake worth shit.  And I can never seem to make a prime roast the way my mom does.

Moms food always tastes best........
"Why not go out on a limb? That's where the fruit is." --Will Rogers
"Get off that limb , that's where all the nuts are!" --Mrs. Saucy

-Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice?

Julians_Wife

« Reply #37 on: Apr 11, 2006, 03:05 PM »

nobody sure beat my Nona's cooking and put both of my Nona's in the kitchen and watch out, for like a year or year and a half they both lived in our house when i was a kid and man the food they would pump out was insane (in a good way tho lol) but I have to admit the best food i ever had was in Italy.

Canuckguy

« Reply #38 on: Apr 12, 2006, 01:01 AM »
My granny makes the best buns every xmas.  i call them granny buns and she always laughs.  We always have a great xmas turkey and a close family dinner.  So thankful that I have a solid family.

Evangeline

« Reply #39 on: Apr 13, 2006, 02:10 PM »

nobody sure beat my Nona's cooking and put both of my Nona's in the kitchen and watch out, for like a year or year and a half they both lived in our house when i was a kid and man the food they would pump out was insane (in a good way tho lol) but I have to admit the best food i ever had was in Italy.

I loved my Nona's cooking! Her gnocchi was the best I have ever had.  I miss it :(  I had the opposite experience in Italy though, food there just didn't taste right to me.  Guess I got used to Canadian Italian cooking or something :)

Fishyneil

• Doritos commercial
« Reply #40 on: Dec 19, 2011, 09:13 AM »
I've got the white sauce down now so I make my own mac and cheese and  cauliflower cheese. I had a good friend show me how to cook a proper roast and a bunch of other food. Pork loin is one of my favourites and I regularly do stew, chilli and home made spaghetti sauce.
I'm going to my mom and dad's for the holidays and will enjoy some of mom's home cooking. What are you guys cooking for the holidays?
Fishy
"So why would you care
To get out of this place
You and me and all our friends
Such a happy human race"

TPB FAQ's... http://www.trailerparkboys.org/forums/index.php?topic=6806.0

Shit machine gun

« Reply #41 on: Dec 19, 2011, 09:29 AM »
Meth.  Turkey.  Chinese food.  General Tao to be specific. 
2009-2010 TPB FANTASY HOCKEY CHAMPION. 

"I can be bought. If they paid me enough, I'd work for the Klan." - Charles Barkley

I HATE Conky

"I hear chicken, cola fizz, mustard and relish, all coagulatin together, and french fries and onion rings, but you know what, I don't hear a heart, Motherfucker"

Tiggy Puddin

« Reply #42 on: Dec 19, 2011, 09:53 AM »
I'm trying to pick up the meth recipe from Breaking Bad.  :lol:

I'm rocking the fuck out of Indian food at the moment, make my own curry powders from scratch. Going to be making a four course Indian meal for Christmas dinner.

English Bastard

« Reply #43 on: Dec 19, 2011, 10:31 AM »
I like cooking one of the few things I am good at  :roll: 
I want to have christmas dinner at Tiggy's curry and loads of booze (don't forget your noho)  ;)
You probably all herd that I was fired as Supervale of theSunnyparks department it's not true I quit

Tiggy Puddin

« Reply #44 on: Dec 19, 2011, 10:35 AM »
NoHo my ass. I take my hangovers like a man.   :lol:

English Bastard

« Reply #45 on: Dec 19, 2011, 10:41 AM »
NoHo my ass. I take my hangovers like a man.   :lol:
I'm telling mr smith that  :D
You probably all herd that I was fired as Supervale of theSunnyparks department it's not true I quit

iheartricky

« Reply #46 on: Dec 20, 2011, 07:39 PM »
I want to eat with Tiggy,too!

I'm making:
Collards
Mac and cheese
Dressing
Butterbeans
Green bean casserole
Sweet tater souffle
Fried turkey
Key lime pie

I'm also having a 7 layer chocolate cake but I'm not making it. I buy them at the bakery.

"This is drugs?"

xhippie

« Reply #47 on: Dec 22, 2011, 05:19 AM »
i cook for a living i've been doing it since 1980..as bugs bunny once said "eh it's a living".