Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: Your Favourite Sandwiches  (Read 12499 times)

Shit machine gun

Your Favourite Sandwiches
« on: Jul 27, 2005, 06:34 PM »
Give me your favourite sandwich recipes, I'm always looking to try a new sandwich.

I'm a big fan of tuna salad with lettuce on regular white bread.
2009-2010 TPB FANTASY HOCKEY CHAMPION. 

"I can be bought. If they paid me enough, I'd work for the Klan." - Charles Barkley

I HATE Conky

"I hear chicken, cola fizz, mustard and relish, all coagulatin together, and french fries and onion rings, but you know what, I don't hear a heart, Motherfucker"

DavidB_Bubbles

• Location: Hiding in my shed from a Samsquanch Monster, Salem, Oregon, U.S.A.
« Reply #1 on: Jul 27, 2005, 06:42 PM »
Good question SMG I like a shrimp club sandwich myself. With cocktail shrimp instead of turkey or with the turkey and bacon.  But I love sandwiches myself.  To many to list at the moment.  :)

bigbenjamin

« Reply #2 on: Jul 27, 2005, 08:27 PM »
A pit-cooked(hickorywood)Hand-chopped BBQ pork sandwich smothered in a semi-sweet smoky Alabama style ketchup based ("The Crimson Tide") BBQ sauce.

As previously mentioned in my "Your Last Supper Would Be What?"  http://www.trailerparkboys.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2380&highlight=last+meal

Ideally you would cook your pork (whole animal or some portion thereof) in a covered pit over hickory charcoal for many hours. Any tender, cooked pork BBQ or roast will do, because this is Southern BBQ where the focus is really on the sauce. The basic sauce is very simple: Lots of ketchup, as much cayenne pepper as you can stand, pickle juice (or vinegar) to taste and brown sugar to taste. Simple sauce is delicious, I promise. Bring the pork and sauce together however you please, put it on some good baked bread or buns and enjoy! And if you go to the Deep South, make sure it's cooked in de pit!

yummy cheers!

bajjer

• Location: Hidin' in the [TALL] Shit Grass, < 1 hour from Sunnyvale!
« Reply #3 on: Jul 27, 2005, 09:10 PM »
Holy ol' Phuck! Now this is somethin' I can sink my pearly K-9's in...real deep!

I am totally crazy over Montreal Smoked Meat sandwiches. On too rare an occurrence I've been to Montreal and I simply can't satisfy my insatiable urge to feast on the foregoing  deli treats. Additionally, the fries, slaw and a piece of cherry cheesecake round out the meal nicely.

Does anyone have room for a furry mammal to tag along...heading north and west from south/central Nova Scotia?

Cheers,
"Quoting one is plagiarism. Quoting many is research."
--Anonymous
http://www.site.uottawa.ca/~rabielmo/personal/quotes.html
"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education."
http://rescomp.stanford.edu/~cheshire/EinsteinQuotes.html
Copyright: Kevin Harris 1995 (may be freely distributed with this acknowledgement)

Fishyneil

• Doritos commercial
« Reply #4 on: Jul 27, 2005, 09:43 PM »
Pick ME on the accomodations my furry friend :D

As for the Montreal smoked meat, my father travels with a tour bus company and says there is no comparison to the smoked meat that you get in Montreal and cherry cheesecake...can't resist.

Let me know J :wink:

Fishy (what are ya doing?)
"So why would you care
To get out of this place
You and me and all our friends
Such a happy human race"

TPB FAQ's... http://www.trailerparkboys.org/forums/index.php?topic=6806.0

Dirty Dancin

« Reply #5 on: Jul 28, 2005, 09:52 AM »
This new place opened up in my neighborhood recently...McAlister's Deli...it's just a chain but I was surpirised how good the food was. Here's what I tried...

The Big Nasty (it's as fun to say as it is to eat)
Roast beef served open face on a 12" hoagie, smothered in gravy, topped with grated cheddar, Swiss & green onions.  =P~

I also love a really great Reuben sandwich. Actually, is there such a thing as a bad sandwich?
"It doesn't hurt to do something absolutely outrageous."

Tipsy McStagger

« Reply #6 on: Jul 28, 2005, 09:56 AM »
Smoked meat sandwiches are good but make me feel like dung after eating them...there is something in that meat that doesn't agree with me.  I'll take a club with REAL meat (no of this processed crap) as my fav sandwich.

"i ahve qit the org cuz ppl wont maid ther own bussin" - greenbasterd

southernbelle

« Reply #7 on: Jul 28, 2005, 05:01 PM »
Quote from: Dirty Dancin'
This new place opened up in my neighborhood recently...McAlister's Deli...it's just a chain but I was surpirised how good the food was. Here's what I tried...

Roast beef served open face on a 12" hoagie, smothered in gravy, topped with grated cheddar, Swiss & green onions.  =P~

I also love a really great Reuben sandwich. Actually, is there such a thing as a bad sandwich?

Dirty Dancin', McAllister's is a really good chain throughout the deep south...and did you know, that Starkville's (i.e. where I live) own Bulldog Deli, named for our MSU mascot, is one in the same as McAllister's, same menu, etc.--Bulldog Deli has been here for like 30 years or so, and I had heard "the Deli" as we commonly refer to it around here, was the original restaurant and the inspiration for McAllister's. Now, I heard this from a total bullshit artist, so whether or not this is true, I cannot confirm. :wink:

I like to get the Chicken Club at the Deli and the TBC--turkey, bacon and cheddar on the tomato bread. Mmm, mmm that's good stuff.

My favorite homemade sandwich would have to be my mother's chicken salad...which I called her, and she has graciously agreed to let me share the recipe. Southern with a twist...mother says.

My Mother's Chicken Salad: (warning...this makes alot)

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
20 oz can of crushed or tidbit pineapple, drained
1/2 pound of white grapes, sliced in half
3/4 to 1 cup (depends on personal tastes) of mayonnaise--(Blue Plate or Hellman's, but for god's sake's not Miracle Whip :lol: )
salt and pepper to taste

Optional:(if you feel like going a little crunchier)
1/2 cup chopped pecans or cashews
One medium granny smith apple, chopped

Place this chicken breasts in a boiler, make sure they're covered with water...add a teaspoon of salt, and cook until done. Let cool.
Then, get a large bowl and chop all the chicken into small pieces. Add the can of pineapple, minus the juice, the chopped grapes and mayo (and any other nuts or what nots you might add) and stir until mixed. Chill for about 30 minutes...and enjoy.

I like mine on toasted wheat bread...but, it is also yummy on croissants as well.
"The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face."--Deep Thoughts

Shit machine gun

« Reply #8 on: Jul 28, 2005, 06:55 PM »
Holy fuck that sounds like a good chicken salad sandwich.  Definitely going to try that baby.

I was raised on Miracle Whip so I always buy it out of habit, but there's something said for a sandwich with some real mayo on it.

"I can be bought. If they paid me enough, I'd work for the Klan." - Charles Barkley

I HATE Conky

"I hear chicken, cola fizz, mustard and relish, all coagulatin together, and french fries and onion rings, but you know what, I don't hear a heart, Motherfucker"

Canuckguy

« Reply #9 on: Jul 28, 2005, 07:05 PM »
I like to buy giant steaks, cook em on the BBQ, eat half, and then refridgerate the other half and use it in hot steak sandwiches.  Steak sandwich is my favorite!

trailerchick

« Reply #10 on: Jul 28, 2005, 09:24 PM »
A personal creation

Grilled chicken breast
Tomato
Red Onion
Feta Cheese
fresh basil
**black olives optional

slap in between grilled garlic baguette.

Yum.

southernbelle

« Reply #11 on: Jul 28, 2005, 10:02 PM »
Quote from: Shit machine gun
Holy fuck that sounds like a good chicken salad sandwich.  Definitely going to try that baby.

I was raised on Miracle Whip so I always buy it out of habit, but there's something said for a sandwich with some real mayo on it.

SMG...I'll let you in on a little secret:  (my real southerness will be called into question if I am ever found out...) I like Miracle Whip. It's a totally different thing than mayo to me. Certain things are better with Miracle Whip, and then there's things you should never attempt to use anything but mayo (mother's chicken salad, for one.)  :wink:
"The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face."--Deep Thoughts

Saucy Bastard

« Reply #12 on: Jul 28, 2005, 11:41 PM »
Quote from: trailerchick
A personal creation

Grilled chicken breast
Tomato
Red Onion
Feta Cheese
fresh basil
**black olives optional

Yum.

I want that RIGHT NOW !
"Why not go out on a limb? That's where the fruit is." --Will Rogers
"Get off that limb , that's where all the nuts are!" --Mrs. Saucy

-Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice?

trailerchick

« Reply #13 on: Jul 29, 2005, 12:32 AM »
Quote from: saucy bastard
Quote from: trailerchick
A personal creation

Grilled chicken breast
Tomato
Red Onion
Feta Cheese
fresh basil
**black olives optional

Yum.

I want that RIGHT NOW !

The key is to make sure the bread is hot out of the oven or off the grill....that way the feta melts nicely.

TheSamsquantch

« Reply #14 on: Jul 29, 2005, 12:38 AM »
Read my cheeseburger recipe I wrote a while ago:

http://www.totalglobaldomination.org/cheeseburger.html

mmmMMMMMmmmm
*drool*

These are better than Randy's greasy old cheeseburgers!!!  :D
"Hello, my name is Hampton, and this is my daughter Tanya. May we have a moment of you time, to have a word with you about the Lord ... and this everlasting gift of love we have to offer for only $59.99?"

CartThief

« Reply #15 on: Jul 29, 2005, 01:21 AM »
Anyone from Hamilton knows about Duarte's on Barton Street at Cheever.  Or the Starpolski Deli on Barton near Sherman.  But if you are really hungry, a trip to DeRosa's on Wilson and Sanford will fill the gap.  This city is covered with great "hole in the wall" deli's that are amazing.

Duarte's has huge deli sandwiches for like $2.00...Their potato salad kicks ass as well....

Thanks...Now I'm starving....
"Once a Trailer Park Boy, Always a Trailer Park Boy..."

southernjen

« Reply #16 on: Jul 29, 2005, 01:24 AM »
Quote from: southernbelle

Dirty Dancin', McAllister's is a really good chain throughout the deep south...and did you know, that Starkville's (i.e. where I live) own Bulldog Deli, named for our MSU mascot, is one in the same as McAllister's, same menu, etc.--Bulldog Deli has been here for like 30 years or so, and I had heard "the Deli" as we commonly refer to it around here, was the original restaurant and the inspiration for McAllister's. Now, I heard this from a total bullshit artist, so whether or not this is true, I cannot confirm. :wink:

actually rebecca...i think that mcalister's is a different chain all together. i could be totally lying though. but WAIT! that's what google is for...after googling for a bit i found that: bulldog deli is in the same chain with pepper's, harvey's, the grill and that restaurant next to my house-park heights. and bulldog deli and peppers are one in the same...and you're story about it being named after the mascot is most likely true. and mcalister's probably did steal the idea from the deli...i don't know. but for those of you NOT from the south, you most likely have never heard of these places...so that's okay...they're pretty awesome. (www.eatwithus.com is the website if yer interested!)

as for my favorite sammich- a plain and simple BLT. gotta love 'em!
"I'll give you a topic: peanut butter. It's neither peanut, nor butter. Discuss."-Linda Richmond

kitty meiowenstein

« Reply #17 on: Jul 29, 2005, 07:42 AM »
Do you guys get "Subway" in canada?  They do gorgeous sub sandwiches.  My fave is seafood but they do typical meatball and chicken etc etc
Randy's got his pants off !!!

Shit machine gun

« Reply #18 on: Jul 29, 2005, 09:29 AM »
Yeah we get subway in canada, along with electricity, oxygen, gas, and sunshine.   :lol: just kidding.

My favorite subway is a Subway melt- turkey, ham and bacon with melted cheese, lettuce, green peppers, onions, tomatoes, bullseye bbq sauce, a little mayo and salt and pepper.  Sometimes throw some hot peppers on too.

I HATE Conky

Dirty Dancin

« Reply #19 on: Jul 29, 2005, 12:33 PM »
Quote from: Dirty Dancin'

I like to get the Chicken Club at the Deli and the TBC--turkey, bacon and cheddar on the tomato bread. Mmm, mmm that's good stuff.

My favorite homemade sandwich would have to be my mother's chicken salad...which I called her, and she has graciously agreed to let me share the recipe. Southern with a twist...mother says.

My Mother's Chicken Salad: (warning...this makes alot)

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
20 oz can of crushed or tidbit pineapple, drained
1/2 pound of white grapes, sliced in half
3/4 to 1 cup (depends on personal tastes) of mayonnaise--(Blue Plate or Hellman's, but for god's sake's not Miracle Whip :lol: )
salt and pepper to taste

Optional:(if you feel like going a little crunchier)
1/2 cup chopped pecans or cashews
One medium granny smith apple, chopped

Place this chicken breasts in a boiler, make sure they're covered with water...add a teaspoon of salt, and cook until done. Let cool.
Then, get a large bowl and chop all the chicken into small pieces. Add the can of pineapple, minus the juice, the chopped grapes and mayo (and any other nuts or what nots you might add) and stir until mixed. Chill for about 30 minutes...and enjoy.

I like mine on toasted wheat bread...but, it is also yummy on croissants as well.

What a freakishly small world this is!!! My Mom mailed me this very same recipe about 3 weeks ago. I substituted toasted almonds for the pecans/cashews & I used Miracle Whip (shame on me but it was on sale) but OH MY STARS & GARTERS (1) IT WAS HEAVENLY!!!! Remember folks, "nothin' gives it zip like the tangy taste of Miracle Whip." (Or however it goes.)  :wink:

(1) SB & SJ we need to start a thread on crazy sayings (Southern or otherwise) and superstitions if one doesn't already exist.
"It doesn't hurt to do something absolutely outrageous."

southernbelle

« Reply #20 on: Jul 29, 2005, 12:44 PM »
Quote from: southernjen

actually rebecca...i think that mcalister's is a different chain all together. i could be totally lying though. but WAIT! that's what google is for...after googling for a bit i found that: bulldog deli is in the same chain with pepper's, harvey's, the grill and that restaurant next to my house-park heights. and bulldog deli and peppers are one in the same...and you're story about it being named after the mascot is most likely true. and mcalister's probably did steal the idea from the deli...i don't know. but for those of you NOT from the south, you most likely have never heard of these places...so that's okay...they're pretty awesome. (www.eatwithus.com is the website if yer interested!)

as for my favorite sammich- a plain and simple BLT. gotta love 'em!

The great deli clarification...continued:

Umm Jennifer, surely you didn't think I wouldn't do some research of my own before posting. You know how I like to know everything. :wink: I knew that Bulldog Deli was the same as the Grill, Peppers, etc. etc.--I do, in fact, own a good number of their giant deli cups and was aware of the connection from the massive graphics connecting the eateries, alone. Bulldog Deli was only recently (like 5 years ago) bought out by EatWithUs, and 10 years ago was in a little itty, bitty trailer. You forget how long I have lived in Starkvegas. Eh, it's a small town; it's your job to know these things.

So I dug a little deeper...(if only I could use my journalist's skills for something worthwhile), yes, McAllister's is not owned by eatwithus.com, (I knew that as well.) but Miss Red works at the McAllister's in Oxford, and had heard that the McAllister's people came from the people at Bulldog Deli, since the menu is the Bulldog Deli menu only expanded, she was curious. Again, this is hearsay...and will not stand up in court. :wink:

This is what I have come up with. Like any of this matters anyway... :lol:

DD--We definitely need to hook up the crazy sayings board...they're sure to be a scream.

Saucy Bastard

« Reply #21 on: Jul 29, 2005, 01:20 PM »
Quote from: kitty meiowenstein
Do you guys get "Subway" in canada?  They do gorgeous sub sandwiches.  My fave is seafood but they do typical meatball and chicken etc etc

My fave is the Sweet onion chicken terryiaki . I find that the trick is to not tell the person behind the counter what you want on it untill they are at that section of the "assembly line" . I tell them what extra toppings I want one by one. By the time they have added onions , green peppers , cucumber ,  lettuce , sprouts and tomatoe , they can hardly close the bun  :twisted:  . Then add the sweet onion sauce and a bit of mayo...yum! Not gourmet , but tasty none the less. I also like their new option of toasting the sub before you put the vegies on.
"Why not go out on a limb? That's where the fruit is." --Will Rogers
"Get off that limb , that's where all the nuts are!" --Mrs. Saucy

-Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice?

Naughty Laura Ingalls

« Reply #22 on: Aug 02, 2005, 02:52 PM »
Subway is my fave. Turkey sub on asiago cheese bun with the works. Mmmmm so hungry.
Mr. Lahey: Who in this park, or even in the whole world, doesn't have problems? Who doesn't have a drink too many times once in a while and maybe even winds up passed out in their own driveway, pissing themselves? Who doesn't drink too much sometimes or who doesn't have a puff from time to time? And who doesn't have problems with the people they love? This is our home. This is our community.

RickysBrother

Re: Your Favourite Sandwiches
« Reply #23 on: Dec 15, 2005, 03:33 AM »
Quizno's Chicken Carbonera

roadtriprob

Re: Your Favourite Sandwiches
« Reply #24 on: Jan 06, 2006, 05:47 AM »
 PEANUTBUTTER : THAT'S ALL!
Road trip. The ultimate survival game. Where men can be boys!