Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: OLP in "Trailer Park Life"  (Read 5936 times)

shake

OLP in "Trailer Park Life"
« on: Jul 24, 2005, 09:24 PM »
OK so the TPB are friends with the Canadian rock band “Our Lady Peace” and even opened for them on their “Fear of the Trailer Park” tour in 2003.

The lead singer of OLP is Raine Maida

Here are some of the lyrics from one verse of“Trailer Park Life as posted by John Gladstone in the S5 E2 official thread

Quote from: John Gladstone
I realize this is from Eps 1, but I just got around to writing down the words to the latest JROC joint that played over the credits. Ha, Hilarious:............  
"how many times have you sat out on the deck, gettin' wrecked n waitin collect a cheque, knowin that's as good as life is ever gonna get, knowin when yer from the park it's in yer blood, it's in yer sweat.  Had some doubt n bets n bouts of insanity. Is it society or is it just vanity that makes me plan to be the man that I plan to be. Instead  I can't see the forest rite in front a' me ( where the forest at ? ) for the trees, it's a social disease n all them other MC's are on my back like fleas ( get off bitch ). Please. J t'the R-O-C. is so hard - OLP ain't even gettin' royalties from me.  Help my f**k, they're gonna come get me ? Steal a whole album wortha samples cause they'll let me.  Ko' stole a diamond ring t'make m'girl my wife - wife.
That's trailer park life...."

Right after
“J to the ROC is so hard OLP ain’t even getting’ royalties from me”

J-ROC says “Raine Maida” in the background

“Help my f**k, they're gonna come get me ? Steal a whole album wortha samples cause they'll let me”.

The next verse after that is…

“Rain made a pool in the backyard where the kids play”

Anyone know anything else about these references to OLP and the samples in the song?

OLP are a good band by the way, I saw them live once and they put on a great show.

EDIT :: We have the answer now see a bit further down the page.  At the time I posted this the OLP samplings weren't on the version that was available on the net.  Since then they have added a sampling from OLP's song "Life".

kitty meiowenstein

« Reply #1 on: Jul 25, 2005, 06:14 AM »
oh migod that singer is gorgeous!  and check out the eyes, he's not a little bit unlike Julian.
Randy's got his pants off !!!

Chantal

« Reply #2 on: Aug 04, 2005, 03:57 PM »
I noticed those OLP references to! I'm not too sure about them though.

(And yes, Raine IS sex but he's taken. :o )

FreeSpirited420

« Reply #3 on: Aug 04, 2005, 06:48 PM »
Quote from: Chantal
(And yes, Raine IS sex but he's taken. :o )

Chantal Kreviazuk is beautiful. :) I met/got her autograph when I was 16. She was mad cool.

David Heisel

Re: OLP in "Trailer Park Life"
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2005, 11:55 PM »
Does anyone know what OLP song was sampled in trailer park life?
Smoking much dope lately boys? You guys are fucked!

Refuckulator

• Matt's Design Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2005, 12:36 AM »
Is tht a trivia question or do you want to know... kinda confused and tired right now...
Follow me: @MattRichBedard

bl4d3

« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2005, 04:11 PM »
About 1:30 into the song in the backround you can hear J-Roc talking to Raine on the phone...

"Yeah, is this Raine? Yeah, I got that letter from your lawyer... I ain't payin'."

David Heisel

« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2005, 06:27 PM »
not trivia, im just curious!
Smoking much dope lately boys? You guys are fucked!

Refuckulator

« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2005, 07:54 PM »
Oh, well I dont know either... that question just sounded kinda like a trivia question :P

Canuckguy

« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2005, 08:02 PM »
Nice spotting that Shake.  I never noticed those references before but was always an OLP fan.

shake

« Reply #10 on: Dec 31, 2005, 12:20 PM »
About 1:30 into the song in the backround you can hear J-Roc talking to Raine on the phone...

"Yeah, is this Raine? Yeah, I got that letter from your lawyer... I ain't payin'."

Yeah I noticed that as well.  I haven’t heard every OLP song but I’m not aware of any sampling J-ROC used from them.  Perhaps it was meant as a joke, since Torrens likes to parody rap and the practice of not paying for sampling.

4bz

• Rebel Reviewer Dot Com
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2006, 06:53 PM »
I used to be a HUGE OLP fan til I actually met Raine.  The first time I was just the phartographer and snapped up a million and one pics but didn't get to yap with him at all... he seemed OK at first but really looked to me like he didn't care about hanging out with a few contest winners and was really quiet and standoffish with the winners who were actually quite calm despite their age and sex (young bouncy schoolgirls).  I thought that was kind of shitty.. it's not like he had anything better to do for that half hour he had to spend with these girls... he was just waiting for the show to start and didn't have to be on stage for about 10 hours!!  2nd time I met him he was a total dick.  About 20 little girls were standing around their tour bus and he had a couple security guards walk out and hold the first few back... he literally RAN off the bus and past his little fans who all looked very disappointed... shitty.  Meanwhile the rest of the band gets off the bus and posed for pics, signed everything for everyone and tried to make up for their egotistical lead singer.  3rd time I met him was during the recording of their latest album.  OLP was STILL in the studio with Bob Rock (who didn't even show his face!) and the studio had a huge Christmas bash planned and weren't about to curb it cuz Raine wasn't finish perfecting the album yet.  So every few minutes a band member would come out of the studio and make their way to the free beer and mingle with the crowd a bit.  The drummer, Jeremy was really cool and hung with us for a bit but again, Raine finally emerged and expected the seas to part for him as he was having a hard time getting through the crowd to get to one of the bars.  He didn't even make it halfway before throwing a fit and bashing through the crowd back into the safety of the studio... I just thought right there... strike 3... yer out.  I went home and rewrote my review for Our Lady Peace that night.

Rebel Reviewer Dot Com

shake

« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2006, 09:02 PM »
Thanks for the stories 4bz.  Maybe he’s got the “Don’t stand so close to me” thing going on with all the young teenage girls that want him, and doesn’t want to be tempted.  Maybe he doesn’t pose with these girls out of respect for Chantal I don’t know.  I did meet Jeremy the drummer that time when he was with Mike Smith after The Concert For Toronto, he seemed like a nice guy.  Anyway I don’t base my opinion of a band based on the personality of the band members, their latest CD is pretty damn good.

4bz

• Rebel Reviewer Dot Com
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2006, 06:49 AM »
I hear ya shake... I listen to all kinds of music that I have no idea of the personality of the band members and that's how I SHOULD approach music but there's something in me that just turns it OFF if the band acts like the world owes them something.  If Raine showed he could be human even ONE of the times I encountered his assholiness, I'd probably still be spinning his CDs... Cuz I tell ya, I thought Naveed was awesome and Clumsy was even better... I guess I just can't reward someone by supporting him when he treats his fans that way. Even if he's a TPB fan.  Also, he was acting like that BEFORE Chantal ever entered the picture!!  Sometimes I really wish I could separate the music from the personality of the band members but I just can't!!!

Rebel Reviewer Dot Com

KarateCollie

« Reply #14 on: Feb 04, 2006, 04:36 PM »
Hey, is there any where out there, that a person could find footage of TPB's act from the OLP tour? I wasn't into the boys then, didn't know much about the show at all, so I was just wondering if anyone knew a site or something where this info could be found? Thanks. :)
KarateCollie

shake

« Reply #15 on: Sep 16, 2006, 08:37 AM »
Ok now I have the answer :).  The version of Trailer Park Life available here

http://www.myspace.com/bigdirtyband

which I assume is the version that will be on the soundtrack, has the do, do, do, do do do

from OLP’s “Life”, added to the song, it is very prominent in this version.

For more info on the soundtrack

http://www.trailerparkboys.org/forums/index.php?topic=6185.0

SgtMeowsteen

• My Space site
« Reply #16 on: Sep 16, 2006, 11:30 AM »
Maybe he doesn’t pose with these girls out of respect for Chantal I don’t know. 

Maybe Chantal needs to realize those girls are her paycheck.

Sounds like this guy don't realize why he can perfect his album.
Just like Johnny Dee from Honeymoon suite. A real Prima Donna.

You might be sexy Julian....but you can't teach me anything about liquor....
-Fackin Lahey

Drunk_As_Fuck

« Reply #17 on: Sep 16, 2006, 06:46 PM »
Thanks for the answer Shake AND thanks for pointing me toward that version of TPL.  Don't know if I like the "original" mix or the soundtrack mix more ... gonna have to buy the soundtrack and listen to it a few dozen times to figure it out ;)

Refuckulator

« Reply #18 on: Sep 17, 2006, 05:39 PM »
I love the new verse of Liquor and Whores!! That is fucking funny!!! :lol:

Thanks for the link shake