Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: The Tragically Hip  (Read 71637 times)

DavidB_Bubbles

• Location: Hiding in my shed from a Samsquanch Monster, Salem, Oregon, U.S.A.
The Tragically Hip
« on: Jun 16, 2005, 10:40 AM »
Ok so I have been musically deprived for years and never heard of The Hip until the TPB season's 1 & 2 DVD came out and I saw the "Darkest One" video. Well I became a fan and have In Violet Light and In Between Evolution on cd. Since this group has been out for close to if not over 20 fucking years does anyone here have any recommendations as to what other cd's I should buy? The local BestBuy here only have had those two in stock but I can get some on Amazon. Thanks :cheers:

shake

The Tragically Hip
« Reply #1 on: Jun 16, 2005, 10:56 AM »
I happen to think that the Hip are the best band in the world!  My 2 favorite CDs of alltime are "Fully Completely" and "Up To Here", their breakout album in Canada.

In Violet Light and In Between Evolution aren't my favorites but I love all their other CDs.  Gord Downie's solo stuff is interesting as well.

Here is a thread about song recommendations:

http://www.trailerparkboys.org/forums/index.php?topic=35.0

They have a lot of good unreleased songs on the web as well, this site will point you to some amazingly good songs and live performances.

http://www.geocities.com/stephendame/unreleased.html

The official site is www.thehip.com
« Last Edit: Jun 05, 2016, 03:14 PM by shake »

J to the R-O-C

• my myspace page
The Tragically Hip
« Reply #2 on: Jun 16, 2005, 11:23 AM »
pretty much every album other than the self-titled debut is a must have.

i don't know about best band in the world, but one of if not the best Canadian band of all time.
"Anybody who wants religion is welcome to it as far as I'm concerned, I support your right to enjoy it. However, I would appreciate it if you exhibited more respect for the rights of those people who do not wish to share your dogma, rapture or necrodestination." - Frank Zappa

FunkyZebra

The Tragically Hip
« Reply #3 on: Jun 16, 2005, 11:41 AM »
I didn't like "In Violet Light" that much either, the HIp are one of the best Candian bands, them and Sloan are my in my favourites
"I'm calling the cops then, right now, the real cops Randy. Not the crazy fake trailer park drunk fat guy crazy cops!"

Shit machine gun

The Tragically Hip
« Reply #4 on: Jun 16, 2005, 12:12 PM »
Yeah EVERY HIP CD IS GOOD.  Even the new ones are good.  People that keep expecting Road Apples everytime they release a new cd don't have a clue about Gord Downie.  The guys a musical/lyrical genius.  Greatest Canadian band of all time, no one is even close.  Except Sandbox maybe.
2009-2010 TPB FANTASY HOCKEY CHAMPION. 

"I can be bought. If they paid me enough, I'd work for the Klan." - Charles Barkley

I HATE Conky

"I hear chicken, cola fizz, mustard and relish, all coagulatin together, and french fries and onion rings, but you know what, I don't hear a heart, Motherfucker"

shake

The Tragically Hip
« Reply #5 on: Jun 16, 2005, 01:54 PM »
I agree Downie writes some amazing lyrics, one of the best storytellers of alltime.  It's always interesting to see him perform live

But don't just take our word for it...

From

http://www.modernfix.com/features/45/trailerparkboys.htm

Rob Wells...

"Rob Wells leans way more toward The Tragically Hip. I like a broad range of music. But they are definitely up there. I’ve really enjoyed their music over the years. One of the best live shows. When Gord is on, Gord is on. There is no better front man in the world. He is unbelievable."

Mike Clattenburg...

"In particularly I really like Gordon Downie’s (singer of The Tragically Hip) solo projects."

If you listen to their unreleased songs you will find that some of them are better than the ones that made it to CD.

Ole Dirty

The Tragically Hip
« Reply #6 on: Jun 16, 2005, 04:03 PM »
A friend of mine "Fabe" is actually in one of Gord Downies videos "Pascal's Submarine" or something like that. He plays one of Gord's buddies who helps him steal a sub. Fabe also played the guy who sold the car to Ricky in Season 3 Episode 1. I have been searching for the video online everywhere, and come up with jack shit. Any helpers?
"Your life will never be complete...until you snort a coke line off a $10 000 hooker's ass." ~Grandpa Ole Dirty

"Wearing pants is such a hassle" ~ Ole Dirty

"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep every night, he checks under his bed for Chuck Norris."

shake

The Tragically Hip
« Reply #7 on: Jun 17, 2005, 10:09 AM »
Cool OD.  Yeah it was “Pascal’s Submarine” and the video was directed by Clattenburg.  Not my favorite song on the CD by any means but it is a great video.  I can’t find it anywhere to download either.  I do have it on one of my VHS tapes but finding it is another story.

DopePlant

The Tragically Hip
« Reply #8 on: Jun 20, 2005, 12:14 AM »
MUST DOWNLOADS :

new orleans is sinking

ahead by a century

opiated

looking for a place to happen

38 years old

blow at high dough
not me and you, arsehole... me and her !

Tipsy McStagger

The Tragically Hip
« Reply #9 on: Jun 20, 2005, 09:52 AM »
the hip is the shit live...seen them several times.  i'd go see them again anytime.

"i ahve qit the org cuz ppl wont maid ther own bussin" - greenbasterd

Ghostdog

• Apple Seed
The Tragically Hip
« Reply #10 on: Jun 20, 2005, 09:55 AM »
Not that I encouage boots but when I had the store I use to have some of the best Hip Boots, my fave was the show I was at in Barrie,  it was one of the Canada Day shows and they did "Killer Whale Tank", any real Hip fan knows what i'm talking about.

If you've ever seen the band play live, there's usually a point in the middle of "New Orleans is Sinking" where the band just goes off into the void. The music changes and Gord goes off into another world, totally unrelated to the song. Sometimes, he tells some kind of stream-of-consciousness story, the most famous one would be the "killer whale tank" monologue. That's how "Nautical Disaster" was born. It grew out of that famous experimental middle section of "New Orleans is Sinking."
"Jack never even took one step of his own ....yet he traveled so far".

Letter's to my little boy Jack

Chantal

The Tragically Hip
« Reply #11 on: Jun 20, 2005, 11:49 AM »
I have to agree with Shake and say that The Tragically Hip are indeed the best band EVER! As for recomendations, I'd say Fully Completely and In Between Evolution... Why no one else seems to like that album, I don't know because I think it's fucking amazing.
But, if you really want The Hip at their best, check them out live. I've only seen them once, (lasy summer at the Sudbury BluesFest) but I really would love to see them again.

SgtMeowsteen

• My Space site
The Tragically Hip
« Reply #12 on: Jun 20, 2005, 12:04 PM »
When I hear the begining guitar chords of "The Darkest One" I get happy and I think of the Boys and all my cool ass pals on the .ORG at a big party. I play my own little video in my head :)

"One Bucket."
-Gordo
You might be sexy Julian....but you can't teach me anything about liquor....
-Fackin Lahey

shake

The Tragically Hip
« Reply #13 on: Jun 20, 2005, 10:38 PM »
Quote from: Ghostdog
Not that I encouage boots but when I had the store I use to have some of the best Hip Boots, my fave was the show I was at in Barrie,  it was one of the Canada Day shows and they did "Killer Whale Tank", any real Hip fan knows what i'm talking about.

If you've ever seen the band play live, there's usually a point in the middle of "New Orleans is Sinking" where the band just goes off into the void. The music changes and Gord goes off into another world, totally unrelated to the song. Sometimes, he tells some kind of stream-of-consciousness story, the most famous one would be the "killer whale tank" monologue. That's how "Nautical Disaster" was born. It grew out of that famous experimental middle section of "New Orleans is Sinking."

Yeah "killerwhaletank" is a classic.  The link I provided earlier

http://www.geocities.com/stephendame/unreleased.html

can tell you about the song and you should be able to get a download.  

Like I said before there is shitload of unreleased stuff from the Hip out there that is brilliant.  Here are a few more write-ups about their unreleased stuff from that site:

Double Suicide: Probably the best known of Gord's rants, made famous by the Roxy and Elsewhere bootleg. Received huge exposure for an unreleased song on Southern Ontario radio stations such as 97.7 HTZ FM in St Catherines and Q 107 in Toronto.

The Double Suicide rant is hilarious.  "And we'd laugh".  Downie is funny as fuck in general.

Three of my favorite unreleased songs:

Blonde Solid: Fully Completely outtake whose lyrics were inspired by a painting Gord saw. Played live on 4/18/92, and brought back during jams in 1996-99.  

Get Back Again: Gorgeous ballad written by Gord Sinclair, played often in 1990. It was eventually recorded for Road Apples, but never released. A fan favorite, it was brought back every once in a while, and even played live on the radio in 1992. Last played in Kingston in February, 1995. Among diehard Hip Heads, it remains the most requested of the unreleased material, and is perhaps the most deserving of a release.

Montreal: Road Apples outtake. Played live during 1991. The lyrics resurfaced a lot during Courage on the Canadian leg of the Henhouse tour in 1996 ("The snow is so merciless/Poor old Montreal"), and then it was played in full in Montreal on the 2000 "Evening With" tour. It was inspired by the murders of 14 women at the Ecole Polytechnique in Montreal on December 6, 1989. One bootleg (mistakenly) calls it Don't You Worry.

Not that I encourage boots either but this music is too important to be kept a secret.  I recommend downloading the unreleased stuff but you really should buy the Hip CDs they really are that good.

shake

The Tragically Hip
« Reply #14 on: Jun 27, 2005, 04:50 PM »
One of the extras on the Season 4 DVD, Bubbles is in his shed with Steve French and decides to sing him a song.

Sung to the tune of "Bobcaygeon" by The Tragically Hip the part that goes

"Cause it was in Bobcaygeon
where I saw the constellations
Reveal themselves one star at a time."

Bubbles sings

"It was in Ricky’s weed field
I found Steve French the kitty
cocksucker revealed himself one paw at a time."

Fricken’ hilarious Bubbles even does a MILD impression of Downie singing.  He couldn’t do a full-blown impression or Steve French may have gotten spooked.  Nobody wanted to make any quick movements around him.

Ghostdog

• Apple Seed
The Tragically Hip
« Reply #15 on: Jun 27, 2005, 08:40 PM »
Not last summer but the summer before Gord Downie played a solo show with the band he was touring with at the time,  it was the Mariposa folk festival and it was sweet. There were a ton of people there to see them, then the rain started, nobody left,  we all went to the front and danced. After my wife and I stuck around and met him and the rest of the band,  Gord just couldn't get over how everybody stayed and danced even though it was pouring rain.Magical night:)

Ghostdog

• Apple Seed
The Tragically Hip
« Reply #16 on: Jun 27, 2005, 09:11 PM »
Here's a ticket stub from 1989 :!:  $3.00 Dollars(The year before it was a $1.50) How times have changed.

[attachment deleted by admin]

shake

The Tragically Hip
« Reply #17 on: Jun 27, 2005, 09:37 PM »
Cool Ghostdog.

Yeah I saw Downie with his “Country of Miracles”, the backup band for his CD “The Battle of the Nudes” twice.  The first time was two years ago? When Ottawa hosted the Junos.  They had a “Concert for Peace” night at Barrymore’s.  I saw a shitload of talent that night, but my fav was when Gord came out and sang the famous folk song “If I Had A Hammer” a song he recorded for the peace album.

I also saw him with his full “Country of Miracles” band at the Ottawa Bluesfest, he was awesome.  One of the band members actually screamed out a couple of TPB references.  I later saw them on MuchMoreMusic Intimate and Interactive, once again a great performance.  In the question part, they had Bubbles come on the screen and ask him what happened to the “warm buns, macaroni salad…” he requested from the Darkest One video.  Gord then says “Oh yeah I have that right here” he then reached into his pocket and flipped Bubbles the bird, ala Ricky ha ha.  Gord was right, the deal they agreed on was clearly 2 buckets of chicken and a drive to the liquor store, that fuckin Bubbles is a shit-disturber.
 :)

shake

Re: The Tragically Hip
« Reply #18 on: Sep 16, 2005, 12:05 PM »
There a big new Tragically Hip Box Set type thing called Hipeonymous due out Nov.1

From Amazon.ca...

Album Details
Special Box Set Anthology of the Veteran Canadian Group that Includes Includes the Following: A) Two Discs of Hits Titled "Yer Favourites" with 34 Classic Tracks Chosen by Over 150,000 Fans Online. All Tracks have Been Digitally Remastered; B) a 48 Page Book with the Band's Official History, Memorabilia and Plenty of Photographs; C) the Band's First Ever Dvd Production, "That Night in Toronto" with 24 Songs Recorded Live in Concert in November 2004 at the Air Canada Centre. The Show was Filmed in High Definition and Digtally Mixed in Pcm Dolby Digital
5. 1 Surround Sound, Directed by Pierre and Francois Lamoureux. Includes a Bonus Feature of Three Songs Available on the Disc Recorded in Multiple Angle Format; D) a Second Dvd with a Compilation of all the Band's 23 Promotional Videos Along with 11 Video Vignettes. This Set is Exclusive to this Package and Includes the Bonus Film "Macroscopic" by Christoper Mills. In Sum, a Treasure Trove for the Ardent Fan, to Say the Least.
« Last Edit: Sep 16, 2005, 12:08 PM by shake »

DavidB_Bubbles

• Location: Hiding in my shed from a Samsquanch Monster, Salem, Oregon, U.S.A.
« Reply #19 on: Sep 16, 2005, 12:19 PM »
Cool Thanks for the good news Shake  :D With the release of The Hip box set and the TPB X-mas DVD, I will be spending some money at amazon.ca  :)

Canuckguy

« Reply #20 on: Sep 16, 2005, 07:30 PM »
Heres a little news for hip fans

"The name of the film is Trailer Park Boys: The Big Dirty. Apparently Alex Lifeson of Rush and Gord Downie of The Tragically Hip play police officers in the movie"

as mentioned in the movie thread http://www.trailerparkboys.org/forums/index.php?topic=1962.270

Fishyneil

• Doritos commercial
« Reply #21 on: Sep 16, 2005, 07:35 PM »
I hope Lifeson punches someone in the fucking nose.
Fishy
"So why would you care
To get out of this place
You and me and all our friends
Such a happy human race"

TPB FAQ's... http://www.trailerparkboys.org/forums/index.php?topic=6806.0

Ole Dirty

« Reply #22 on: Sep 17, 2005, 05:47 AM »
I think the reason why most people outside of Canada really haven't heard that much of The Hip is because us Canucks have been trying to keep all the good Canadian music to ourselves (and we send the rest of the world crap like Bryan Adams, and Celine Dion...to represent us. make everyone else in the world think that Canada produces crappy music, so they won't come looking for more music from the Great White North, and steal it away from us!) but we keep all the good stuff like The Hip to ourselves!

Pick up their CD "Up To Here" it has some of my favorite Hip songs on it, like "38 Years Old", and "Blow at High Dough" Some good tunes, you are required to wear a touque bearing a logo from any Canadian NHL hockey team, drink a two-four of Canadian, or some Canadian Whiskey while listening to the CD....
« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2005, 05:48 AM by Ole Dirty »
"Your life will never be complete...until you snort a coke line off a $10 000 hooker's ass." ~Grandpa Ole Dirty

"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep every night, he checks under his bed for Chuck Norris."

Slade

« Reply #23 on: Sep 18, 2005, 07:57 PM »
Whoa! Ole Dirty knows Fabian, too! How cool is that? Ole Dirty and I have two degrees of seperation (or one, I don't know how that game works) due to our mutual friendship with "Fabe". Small world and all of that stuff.
Help Canadian Tire Guy keep his job. Shop at Canadian Tire!

Ole Dirty

« Reply #24 on: Sep 18, 2005, 08:42 PM »
Whoa! Ole Dirty knows Fabian, too! How cool is that? Ole Dirty and I have two degrees of seperation (or one, I don't know how that game works) due to our mutual friendship with "Fabe". Small world and all of that stuff.

...I was thinking about asking Dead Red to play at my wedding, but I don't think it would go over too well with the older people in the family when Fabe and Frank started spitting beer on people in the crowd....You know him from  his Newfie days? or hisr Halifax Days?