Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: The Tragically Hip  (Read 71476 times)

Shit machine gun

Re: The Tragically Hip
« Reply #275 on: May 13, 2010, 08:22 PM »
i like that definition. 

Gord Downie has a new solo album coming out next month, and doing a few tour dates this summer.
2009-2010 TPB FANTASY HOCKEY CHAMPION. 

"I can be bought. If they paid me enough, I'd work for the Klan." - Charles Barkley

I HATE Conky

"I hear chicken, cola fizz, mustard and relish, all coagulatin together, and french fries and onion rings, but you know what, I don't hear a heart, Motherfucker"

shake

« Reply #276 on: May 13, 2010, 08:39 PM »
Yeah I'm going to see Downie at the Bluesfest, I love his solo stuff.

just got really into the Hip, obviously through TPB at first but on my own accord of late - digging into the band's back catalogue.
I love Hip producer Adam Kesper's view of the band - "If The Rolling Stones and R.E.M.   were to have sex, the result would be a five headed baby called The   Tragically Hip"   
brilliant.

I used to say Pearl Jam and REM, but the Stones is an ever better compliment!

JAG

« Reply #277 on: Jun 18, 2010, 10:22 PM »
I always thought that REM was the American cousin to The Hip.  :D

I'm going to see Gord in Niagara Falls in July. It is going to be insane since it is a holiday weekend. I wasn't thinking it through too well when I decided to go!  :shock:
~Sarah~
*100% Certified Honouary Canuck*

Port Cockerton:

"Maybe if you hadn't spent the whole night sinking space sluts you wouldn't have let down the entire universe yet again!"
"Copy that."
"Solution, Captain Powerful?!"
"MORE powder of confidence..."

shake

« Reply #278 on: Jul 15, 2010, 08:00 PM »
Here's 2/5 of The Hip!  Rob Baker is in another band called Stripper's Union with ex members of The Odds and Doug and the Slugs.  Here is a vid I took of them at the Bluesfest Sunday.  Paul Langlois made a guest appearance.

Give Up And Go Away - Stripper's Union

Chantal

« Reply #279 on: Jul 15, 2010, 09:48 PM »
Still jealous, Shake. ;) But holy crap, thank you so much for that video! Mister Langlois sure was looking good. 8)

JAG

« Reply #280 on: Jul 21, 2010, 01:05 PM »
 8)
That video was great! Thanks!
~Sarah~

Port Cockerton:

"Maybe if you hadn't spent the whole night sinking space sluts you wouldn't have let down the entire universe yet again!"
"Copy that."

shake

« Reply #281 on: Oct 07, 2012, 07:47 PM »
Gord Downie is going to be interviewed on the National tonight.  Something about a recent crisis that changed his life?

shake

« Reply #282 on: Oct 15, 2012, 02:00 PM »
He's on Strombo tonight at 7, thanks for the tip Fishard.

Stakegirl

« Reply #283 on: Oct 19, 2012, 08:12 PM »
The Hip are coming through my neck of Worst Case Ontario. They will be in both Kitchener, and Guelph in February 2013. Heads up ORGsters who live around here.  The last time they were here was in 2009 so that's exciting! I skimmed through the topic so I might've missed the mention. But Trouble in the Hen House, Up to Here, and Fully Completely, and Road Apples are my four favourite albums. My least favourite is World Container.
A Dope Trailer is No Place for a Kitty

JAG

« Reply #284 on: Jan 05, 2013, 10:08 PM »
The Hip were in Cleveland recently and it was an ass kicking good time! Everyone was super cool; most people were not even FROM Cleveland. (At least not the people I talked to.) They were from Buffalo, Indianapolis, Toronto...the show was at the House of Blues, so it was small but that made it so intense! I was front and centre and even though I had to stand the whole time, I doubt I would have sat down if I HAD a seat! I even got to speak with Gord ever so briefly while he was on stage. He really does LOCK EYES with people and I am sure this is the closest I will eve have to a "religious experience". I even didn't mind standing in a puddle of beer after I couldn't stand one more second in my boots. Yup, I took those fuckers right off and stood there.

Incredible time. I can't even describe it. I had posted some great pictures on my Facebook page. It was simply out of this world.
~Sarah~

Port Cockerton:

"Copy that."

shake

« Reply #285 on: Oct 06, 2014, 10:06 AM »
Fully Completely was THE best album of all-time and it is being reissued! I will be getting the Super Deluxe package. The unreleased songs they wrote back then are much better than the stuff they have been putting on their last 4 or 5 CDs. I see it even includes the documentary Heksenketal. I had that on VHS but I broke it accidentally. Whenever I am in used CD stores that still sell VHS I always look for it, knowing there is little chance of finding it. I can get it now on DVD! It includes a meeting they had with David Milgaard who was the subject of the song Wheat Kings. It was recently voted the third best Canadian song of all time by the CBC.

http://www.thehip.com/news/fully-completely-reissues-and-north-american-tour/
« Last Edit: Oct 06, 2014, 10:32 AM by shake »

shake

« Reply #286 on: Oct 08, 2014, 04:27 PM »
Woohoo the Hip are going to be performing live at Dundas Square in TO as part of Rogers kickoff of the new NHL season.  Hockey and Hip!  Go Leafs Go!