Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: A question for the show producers.  (Read 4114 times)

Drunk Bastard

A question for the show producers.
« on: Jun 06, 2005, 06:11 AM »
I was wondering why there are no french people on the show.  The maritimes are filled with acadiens and it would be nice to see a good canadien television show have both the french and english on it.

Canuckguy

« Reply #1 on: Jun 06, 2005, 09:55 PM »
Thats a good point....I don't think I've seen even one frenchman on the show.  I'm sure theres one chain smoking wine chuggin Quebec'er who would fit in the show perfectly! (or 100,000 of em!)heheh jk

:guinness:

Refuckulator

• Matt's Design Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: Jun 06, 2005, 10:58 PM »
there are a lot of french people in NS... pubnico... my moms bf's family is from there... and my dads side is french. Bedard.
Follow me: @MattRichBedard

Canuckguy

« Reply #3 on: Jun 06, 2005, 11:06 PM »
And John Paul Tremblay (Julian) sounds like a french name...as well as Lucy's real name.

Drunk Bastard

« Reply #4 on: Jun 07, 2005, 12:05 AM »
Quote from: Canuckguy
Thats a good point....I don't think I've seen even one frenchman on the show.  I'm sure theres one chain smoking wine chuggin Quebec'er who would fit in the show perfectly! (or 100,000 of em!)heheh jk

:guinness:

An Acadien would be much better.  And there are some famous ones that would be good for the show too.

Eric Lapointe would be wonderful.

Shit machine gun

« Reply #5 on: Jun 07, 2005, 08:35 AM »
Send bubbles out on a fishing boat to fish for some lobster up the acadian coast in Tracadie or something.
2009-2010 TPB FANTASY HOCKEY CHAMPION. 

"I can be bought. If they paid me enough, I'd work for the Klan." - Charles Barkley

I HATE Conky

"I hear chicken, cola fizz, mustard and relish, all coagulatin together, and french fries and onion rings, but you know what, I don't hear a heart, Motherfucker"

Canuckguy

« Reply #6 on: Jun 07, 2005, 09:37 AM »
So an Acadien is a French speaking/blooded Canadian who doesnt live in Quebec?  

We have a French section in Winnipeg as well.  Good area for restaurants.

Shit machine gun

« Reply #7 on: Jun 07, 2005, 10:05 AM »
Yeah most of the Acadiens are situated along the east coast and northern half of New Brunswick.  I don't know how they refer to themselves but I don't think they like being called Quebecoise.  They few I've known are proud to be Acadien and show their pride with thier brightly painted houses and cars, Acadien flags in the windows and on thier flagpoles, and their spare fishing boats up on blocks in the driveway.

By the way, my mother-in-law is Acadien.

"I can be bought. If they paid me enough, I'd work for the Klan." - Charles Barkley

I HATE Conky

"I hear chicken, cola fizz, mustard and relish, all coagulatin together, and french fries and onion rings, but you know what, I don't hear a heart, Motherfucker"

shake

« Reply #8 on: Jun 07, 2005, 10:43 AM »
The history of the Acadians is very interesting.  Here is the short definition from the dictionary:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=Acadia

A region and former French colony of eastern Canada, chiefly in Nova Scotia but also including New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Cape Breton Island, and the coastal area from the St. Lawrence River south into Maine. During the French and Indian War (1755-1763) many Acadians migrated or were deported by the British to southern territories, including Louisiana, where their descendants came to be known as Cajuns.

Acadia
n : the French-speaking part of the Canadian Maritime Provinces [syn: Acadia]

On Cape Breton Island you can find the Fortress of Louisbourg, which is a very popular tourist attraction.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/ns/louisbourg/index_e.asp
http://www.louisbourg.ca/fort/

Canuckguy

« Reply #9 on: Jun 07, 2005, 10:57 AM »

They also make one hell of a car :cheers:  heheheh  :o

Canuckguy

« Reply #10 on: Jun 07, 2005, 11:02 AM »
On a serious note they have a really cool 3D virtual tour of that fort and a bunch of others, you can choose a fort on the left and it will take you on a virtual tour

http://www.pc.gc.ca/apps/dci/source/3d_e.asp?sitename=themes&theme=dc&btn_state=Text%20Tour

Shit machine gun

« Reply #11 on: Jun 07, 2005, 12:22 PM »
I didn't realize that there were so many still in NS.  It's funny they don't fight for thier bilinguilism like thier fellow NB Acadians.

I want to buy a Chevette, which is probably the same as the Acadian, and pimp that mother out.

Do you think Cajun is somehow derived from Canadians?  Kinda sounds the same if you say it like Canayjun.

I HATE Conky

Fishyneil

• Doritos commercial
« Reply #12 on: Jun 07, 2005, 12:53 PM »
There was Steve French. Does that count :wink:
Fishy
"So why would you care
To get out of this place
You and me and all our friends
Such a happy human race"

TPB FAQ's... http://www.trailerparkboys.org/forums/index.php?topic=6806.0

petermog

• Location: Steak Night With The Lads! Derby UK-Me Sat First Left
Steve French
« Reply #13 on: Jun 07, 2005, 01:57 PM »
Yeah, thats what came to my mind when I started reading the 'more French' thread. Great episode. Only bubbles could design a mountain lion de-toxing dope feeder! Quality!
I'm Not The Kinda Person To Say ATOWDASO But You Know What?  ATOWDASO! I Fuckin' ATOWDASO!

JulianRocks

« Reply #14 on: Jun 07, 2005, 02:02 PM »
Yes, John Paul's last name is French...... we talked about that at the Marquee Party. :wink:

Saucy Bastard

« Reply #15 on: Jun 07, 2005, 02:07 PM »
Quote from: Shit machine gun
I didn't realize that there were so many still in NS.  It's funny they don't fight for thier bilinguilism like thier fellow NB Acadians.

I want to buy a Chevette, which is probably the same as the Acadian, and pimp that mother out.

Do you think Cajun is somehow derived from Canadians?  Kinda sounds the same if you say it like Canayjun.

Yes indeed Cajun is a direct derivation of Acadian! After all that's where the Cajuns came from.
"Why not go out on a limb? That's where the fruit is." --Will Rogers
"Get off that limb , that's where all the nuts are!" --Mrs. Saucy

-Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice?

shake

« Reply #16 on: Jun 07, 2005, 03:03 PM »
Quote from: saucy bastard

Yes indeed Cajun is a direct derivation of Acadian! After all that's where the Cajuns came from.

Yeah, as it says in the definition I posted earlier:

During the French and Indian War (1755-1763) many Acadians migrated or were deported by the British to southern territories, including Louisiana, where their descendants came to be known as Cajuns.

Acadian pronounced in their French sounds like "Aca-jun", like "Cajun" without the A.  Like Saucy said that is where the word was derived, over the years the "A" was dropped.

shake

« Reply #17 on: Jun 07, 2005, 03:56 PM »

That got me curious about the numbers so I found this

http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Acadian

In 97 NB had 240,000 Acadians, while NS only had 30,000.  Most of the Acadian communities in NS are in Cape Breton.

Here's what it said about Cajun:

The Cajuns are an ethnic group consisting essentially of the descendants of Acadians who came from Nova Scotia to Louisiana as a result of their refusal to swear allegiance to the British Crown. The word "Cajun" is a corruption of the French pronunciation of the word acadien, after Acadia, the name of their ancestral region in Nova Scotia; the name "Cajun" was applied to them by English-speaking colonists when they settled in Louisiana.

southernbelle

« Reply #18 on: Jun 07, 2005, 05:12 PM »
During the French and Indian War (1755-1763) many Acadians migrated or were deported by the British to southern territories, including Louisiana, where their descendants came to be known as Cajuns.

A little off the original topic but, eh...

When I was 10, my family took a tour of Cajun country in south Louisiana. Going to New Orleans is one thing, but this is entirely different. The history is very interesting. We toured several homes, churches and graveyards, and even a swamp tour on a pontoon boat. We visited the Evangeline Oak (from Longfellow's poem--I believe there is a monument in Canada, as well?) and her grave in St. Martinville. It is right on the water, the tree is old and enormous; it is a really beautiful, tranquil place--really appropriate for the sad story of Emmeline (Evangeline). We ate some delicious food and danced at Mulate's. Listened to tons of Zydeco, and met lots of interesting people (with fantastic accents!) It was amazing because they have kept the culture and language thriving.

Here's the oak: http://www.thecajuns.com/images/evangoak.jpg

Later, I lived on the MS Gulf Coast for a couple of years and with the close proximity to New Orleans and Cajun country was priviledged to have a good number of cajun friends, and lucky enough to be able to learn how to cook some of their foods. I can cook gumbo and jambalaya, but I still haven't mastered the beignet, yet (if you ever have the chance to go to New Orleans, you MUST go to the Cafe du Monde and have some french roast coffee and a couple of beignets.) We also got the week of Fat Tuesday and Ash Wednesday off from elementary school for Mardi Gras celebrations. I could go on forever, (and have) but living down there was one of my favorite times of my life. I have some really incredible memories from that part of the world.

Rebecca
"The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face."--Deep Thoughts

Drunk Bastard

« Reply #19 on: Jun 07, 2005, 09:42 PM »
I am happy to see that there are people that think putting a french person on the show is a good idea.  It would do much to help make TPB popular in Quebec and other french canadiens.

And it would do much to make TPB a good representation of canadien/canadian maritimes.  

I can see it happen...

Ricky:  "Bubbles I think this guy has been smoking some bad fucking hash.  He sounds like a fucking retard when he talks."

Bubbles:  "He isn't retarded Ricky.  He is french.  Thats french he is speaking."

Ricky: "What the fuck is he doing speaking french?  This is canada!  What does he think this?  A country that speaks both french and english?"

Fishyneil

• Doritos commercial
« Reply #20 on: Jun 08, 2005, 06:23 AM »
Quote from: Drunk Bastard

Ricky:  "Bubbles I think this guy has been smoking some bad fucking hash.  He sounds like a fucking retard when he talks."

Bubbles:  "He isn't retarded Ricky.  He is french.  Thats french he is speaking."

Ricky: "What the fuck is he doing speaking french?  This is canada!  What does he think this?  A country that speaks both french and english?"

That's funny man :lol:  I can just hear that happening.
Fishy
"So why would you care
To get out of this place
You and me and all our friends
Such a happy human race"

TPB FAQ's... http://www.trailerparkboys.org/forums/index.php?topic=6806.0