Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: What other Canadian shows should I watch ?  (Read 42511 times)

RangerF150

What other Canadian shows should I watch ?
« on: Mar 21, 2005, 03:19 PM »
Hi ya all :-)

I am of course addicted to the TPB's , i don't really watch any TV except the odd movie or two .

However i was wondering if you guys could suggest any other funny Canadian stuff i can get ( gotta be available on Amazon ) .

I did get Made In Canada , the hilarious comedy that after two episodes i found unfunny :-(

I see some Canadian movies , that look interesting , any suggestions ?

Thanks for input :-)
Don't matter how little you know, someone out there know's even less !

purple_skwirrel

What else should i watch ?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 21, 2005, 03:25 PM »
Made in Canada unfunny?  :(

Oh well, they got my vote  :wink:

TPB is the best thing to hit Canadian television in such a long time, I can't really think of much else (that would be available through Amazon, anyway).

I hear Corner Gas is funny, but I've tried to watch it on 3 separate occasions and fell asleep every time.  I need loud noises and lots o' swearing to keep me awake, I guess  :lol:

bigbenjamin

« Reply #2 on: Mar 21, 2005, 03:28 PM »
Start with this:

SCTV became the call letters for the fictional Second City television station and a highly successful seven year series was launched. SCTV began its broadcast history on Global television in Canada and in syndication in the States but moved on to NBC and finally to the Cinemax Cable Network. The cast, including John Candy, Joe Flaherty, Eugene Levy, Andrea Martin, Rick Moranis, Catherine O'Hara, Dave Thomas, and later Martin Short, received unqualified praise from both the Canadian and American press and developed an ever increasing loyal following.

During its long and varied history SCTV garnered 13 Emmy Award nominations, and two Emmy Awards for best writing. At final count there are 185 half hour shows produced[.]

Good link:  http://sctv.org/intro.htm

Cheers!

purple_skwirrel

« Reply #3 on: Mar 21, 2005, 03:32 PM »
Quote from: bigbenjamin
Start with this:

SCTV became the call letters for the fictional Second City television station and a highly successful seven year series was launched. SCTV began its broadcast history on Global television in Canada and in syndication in the States but moved on to NBC and finally to the Cinemax Cable Network. The cast, including John Candy, Joe Flaherty, Eugene Levy, Andrea Martin, Rick Moranis, Catherine O'Hara, Dave Thomas, and later Martin Short, received unqualified praise from both the Canadian and American press and developed an ever increasing loyal following.

During its long and varied history SCTV garnered 13 Emmy Award nominations, and two Emmy Awards for best writing. At final count there are 185 half hour shows produced[.]

Good link:  http://sctv.org/intro.htm

Cheers!

OMG - how could I forget those unforgettable characters!  LOL!  Just last night better half and I were watching TV when a really cheesy "home made" TV ad came on for something.  It was so bad, when BH and I looked at each other, all I could say was, "That's right, Edna."  LOL!

And SCTV DVD's ARE indeed available through amazon.com!

shake

Re: What else should i watch ?
« Reply #4 on: Mar 21, 2005, 03:44 PM »
Quote from: RangerF150
However i was wondering if you guys could suggest any other funny Canadian stuff i can get ( gotta be available on Amazon ) .

The fact that you say ( gotta be available on Amazon ) kind of limits my recommendations.  Unfortunately a lot of great Canadian stuff went unnoticed.  

Of course you should get SCTV which was already mentioned, they were considered “the comedian’s comedians”.  

Another Canadian classic was Kids in the Hall which is available on DVD.  It is sketch comedy like Monty Python, and it doesn't have those dumb cartoon segments.

You should also get The Newsroom

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0001BG1OM/qid%3D1111441316/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/002-3412559-6100805

This uses the same sort of mocumentary style as TPB and The Office and came out before those two.  If you like The Office you should like The Newsroom.

P.S. I didn’t think Made In Canada was funny either.

I have a long list of other great Canadian stuff but it is not available from Amazon.

Saucy Bastard

« Reply #5 on: Mar 21, 2005, 04:01 PM »
Just to reiterate ,what Shake said : Kids In The Hall

Unbeatable Canadian humor!!

Lots of great "Pot humor"
"Why not go out on a limb? That's where the fruit is." --Will Rogers
"Get off that limb , that's where all the nuts are!" --Mrs. Saucy

-Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice?

BoTTleKid

• http://kemicalimbalance.deviantart.com
« Reply #6 on: Mar 21, 2005, 04:02 PM »
Isn't there some mockumentry on about funeral directors in Newfoundland? Mary Welsh is in it I believe. I heard that was good.
"...he keeps stickin' a fuckin' gun in my face."
-

RumNCoke

« Reply #7 on: Mar 21, 2005, 04:15 PM »
For Canadian programming I'd also recommend SCTV and Corner Gas. I can't fairly comment on the Kids in the Hall because I never got into it.

But for something a little closer to home, give The Office a chance (if you haven't already done so).

RangerF150

« Reply #8 on: Mar 21, 2005, 04:19 PM »
Awesome :-)
Sorry purple but i watched two or three episodes of Made in Canada , and i ain't in any hurry to watch the rest , just did not see the funny side , the odd giggle , that was it :-(

The newsroom does sound good , i love the office , so i guess id better put on the list .

Considering i think that John Candy is god , i guess id better check out SCTV, except i got Canadian Bacon cos John Candy was in it , it was crap , gave up after an hour :-(

And wiile i mentioned it has to be on Amazon, really what i mean is that i have to be able to get it online....

Thanks all , keep them ideas coming :-)
Regards

RumNCoke

« Reply #9 on: Mar 21, 2005, 04:27 PM »
Considering i think that John Candy is god , i guess id better check out SCTV, except i got Canadian Bacon cos John Candy was in it , it was crap , gave up after an hour.

If you love John Candy then there's no reason why you won’t like SCTV. It's some of his early material, but funny nonetheless.

shake

« Reply #10 on: Mar 21, 2005, 04:41 PM »
Quote from: RumNCoke
Considering i think that John Candy is god , i guess id better check out SCTV, except i got Canadian Bacon cos John Candy was in it , it was crap , gave up after an hour.

If you love John Candy then there's no reason why you won’t like SCTV. It's some of his early material, but funny nonetheless.

I think the stuff Candy did on SCTV was by far his best work, the stuff he did after pales in comparison.

I agree Canadian Bacon wasn't very good.

Fishyneil

• Doritos commercial
« Reply #11 on: Mar 21, 2005, 04:45 PM »
Mrs. Falbo's tiny town...John Candy as Mr. Messenger.
Funny shit.
Fishy
"So why would you care
To get out of this place
You and me and all our friends
Such a happy human race"

TPB FAQ's... http://www.trailerparkboys.org/forums/index.php?topic=6806.0

shake

« Reply #12 on: Mar 21, 2005, 04:53 PM »
Yeah Fishy and he had likes 50 characters on SCTV were even funnier than that.

RangerF150

« Reply #13 on: Mar 21, 2005, 04:57 PM »
It was'nt John Candy's fault that Canadian Bacon was crap, the movie was crap , even the great John Candy could not save it !

I just got to look at John Candy and im in fit's :-)

JulianRocks

« Reply #14 on: Mar 21, 2005, 05:10 PM »
Well Shake.....you beat me to it! I was thinking KIDS IN THE HALL as I was reading and then I seen your post! :wink:  I loved Kids In The Hall! It's a must if you want to see good Canadian Comedy! :wink:  :)

RangerF150

« Reply #15 on: Mar 21, 2005, 05:36 PM »
Actuallly the Kids in the Hall looks pretty good :-)

Any info on the bottlekids suggestion about the mockumentry on about funeral directors in Newfoundland?

Now that sounds like fun :-)

I did a google , found nothin , except funeral directors in Newfoundland, considering i don't plan on getting buried in Newfoundland , i did'nt contact any of them ....

Maybe i should , could be a hell of a lot cheaper than over here :-)

Hell anything to save a buck !

Oh, my credit card is getting damm close to being maxed out with this list , thanks :-)

Thanks everyone :-)

seriousguy

« Reply #16 on: Mar 21, 2005, 06:05 PM »
I watched this show on CBC today called "Nerve". Maybe someone else has seen it but it's fucking edgy for being in the 5:30 timeslot right before the news. They had a girl half rapping about how ghetto her hood was and she was dropping N-bombs and cussing, it was pretty refreshing. They also showed the world championships of Rock Paper Scissors which was pretty neat, in a nerdy-I-cant-do-anything-else-with-my-life kinda way.

www.cbc.ca/nerve
Man Cut Ray! Truck drivin passed out phantom 309 mothafucka!

RangerF150

« Reply #17 on: Mar 21, 2005, 06:18 PM »
I'm out of here :-(
I gotta go to bed , i hope i don't have a nightmare like i did last night , Ricki was trying to steal my truck ....

I ended up givin him the keys to the truck , two smokes, a can of beer ( my last one) and 20 bucks to get gas :-(

Thanks all :-)

shake

« Reply #18 on: Mar 21, 2005, 08:45 PM »

But for something a little closer to home, give The Office a chance (if you haven't already done so).

Hey RumNCoke have you ever watched The Newsroom?  Like I stated in my first post in this thread if you like The Office you should like The Newsroom.

Also BoTTleKid since you like Curb Your Enthusiasm you should like it as well, the main character is very neurotic, like Larry David, he is supposedly that way in real life.

It first aired in 1996 but there have only been a few seasons. There is a new season currently airing.  I watched it tonight, it was very good, like it was the first season.

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/ShowMainServlet/showid-4082/The_Newsroom/#info

shake

« Reply #19 on: Mar 21, 2005, 08:54 PM »
Here is a link on the Newfoundland show ...

http://www.cbc.ca/hatching/

I saw it, not sure if it will be a series or not.  Only the pilot has aired so far.

It was written by Mary Walsh and Ed MacDonald aka The Bible Pimp.  He used to write for 22 Minutes as well.

RangerF150

« Reply #20 on: Mar 23, 2005, 02:49 PM »
Thanks shake, bigben and all that helped out :-)

I am gonna add The Newsroom to my TPB's S4 order

Will get SCTV on my next Amazon order , credit card restrictions apply :-(

Thanks for the great info :-)

RumNCoke

« Reply #21 on: Mar 23, 2005, 08:17 PM »
Quote from: shake
Hey RumNCoke have you ever watched The Newsroom?  Like I stated in my first post in this thread if you like The Office you should like The Newsroom.

Nope, I've never watched The Newsroom before. And speaking of The Office, NBC, which bought the rights to the British comedy, is coming out with an American version. Now before you start criticizing read this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/24/arts/television/24stan.html

I'm glad they're staying true to the original concept of the show and not turning it into "Friends."

EDIT: Hmm, for some reason the link doesn't work as expected. If you want to read the article just Google "The Office". Look near the top. You should see:
"An American-Style 'Office' With a Boss From Heck - New York Times." That'll take you to it.

shake

« Reply #22 on: Mar 23, 2005, 10:38 PM »
Will get SCTV on my next Amazon order , credit card restrictions apply :-(

It’s hard keeping up with all the SCTV DVDs.  There’s 3 out so far and another on the way.  The worst part is they are so expensive, I got the second one as a Christmas gift, I’ll have to wait to get the third one.  The reason they are so expensive is because they had to pay all the proper licensing for the musical acts.  They had some pretty good ones such as Roy Orbison, John Cougar, The Boomtown Rats and Dave Edmunds to name a few.  They would often have the musical guest act in skits, the John Cougar one was really funny, he actually morphed into Martin Short’s Ed Grimley.  Bob Geldolf was also very funny in their spoof of the movie “To Sir With Love”.

shake

« Reply #23 on: Mar 23, 2005, 10:40 PM »

Nope, I've never watched The Newsroom before. And speaking of The Office, NBC, which bought the rights to the British comedy, is coming out with an American version.

Yeah I saw a commercial for it, it debuts tomorrow on Global at 9:30.

Hamilton Steele

• http://battlestarargus.com
« Reply #24 on: Mar 24, 2005, 05:04 AM »
I'm surprised that no one has thought of....

The Red-Green Show!  (I mean come on.. thats funny.)
Or how about Chilly Beach!  (It easily gives the Simpsons a run for their money.)
Rick Mercer's Monday Report
This hour has 22 minutes

Then there are great Canadien shows that aren't necessarily comedy related.

La Femme Nakita
Forever Knight.
Due South
This is Wonderland
DaVinci's inquest.
Women in Prison
To Catch a thief.
Tech Wars
Degrassi
Night Heat
Cold Squad
Neon Rider
Beach Combers.
The Rez.

Movies:
Strange Brew  (Tell me this isn't funny)
Videodrome
Agnes of God
Jesus of Montreal
Dance Me Outside
Les Boys 1, 2 and 3  (Again tell me this isn't funny)
Whale Music
The Grey Fox
Fly away home

Man I can compile an entire list of some really great stuff.  Hell compared to the rest of the world.... We produce alot and some of the most origional and best stuff out there.

Not trying to Flame... but if there is one thing I have noticed and that is Canadiens have an blooming inferiorty complex about our televions shows and entertainment.  

There is only apx 30 million of us compared to almost 300 million americans.  Thier shows can suck worse than some of ours but they manufacture sooooo much of them that we get flooded with cheap programs that have a ton of hype and promotion behind them.  (Like American Idol.... Cheap to make and gets an entire nation voting for who is the best karaoke singer.)

It transfers to the music industry too.  When I lived in L.A. I can't tell you how many people were convinced that Niel Young, Lover Boy and Nickelback are american.  Why? because we won't admit that we can make good shit!

And don't forget we are responsible for some awsome cartoons too.  Hell Mainframe from B.C did the newest Transformers saga "Beast Wars." And although Astroboy was campy, telefilm made some cool crap too.

As for L.A. and the american entertainment industry down there.  There are over 600k Canadiens in Los Angeles and that makes L.A. our 5th largest city.  We dominate a major part of their industry.  

Even on my side of the entertainment coin we are well represented and most of the top male performers are Canadien.

I was in the nexus of Television and movie central and I spent many many many night flipping through over a 100 channels of NOTHING but crap.  I was ready to blow up my TV if I was going to be forced to watch one more stupid american family sitcom like Full House.

I say again, the american product is not any better than ours... It's just marketed like a McDonalds Big Mac hamburger.  

"You get a whole lot of empty calories with sweet sauce to help ease the grease past your taste buds.  It's flavour is far from  that of a good old fashion backyard barbque banquet-burger with all the toppings.  It is mass produced, easy to get and the advertising is there to tell you to believe it is better than any other burger you can have.   And it tastes the same every friggin time regardless if you buy in Calgary or Portland."

For me.... No thank you, I don't want something that can only promise me a triple heart bypass from clogged arteries.  I want something I can sink my teeth into and lick my lips in satisfaction.

If you ask me and no one has.  In the entertainment industry it is high time we stop trying to get the American seal of approval before we consider ourselves good.