Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: What other Canadian shows should I watch ?  (Read 42502 times)

JulianRocks

What else should i watch ?
« Reply #25 on: Mar 24, 2005, 05:47 AM »
I agree with you HS. Canada has some really good stuff. I loved Degrassi! BeachCombers.....who couldn't love Relic.....he was such a great bad guy! I liked King Of Kensington as well. The Rez....wasn't on long but I watched that show. I really liked North Of 60 too. Chilly Beach is really cute! I know there are a lot of Simpsons fans out there and I used to be one but I can't stand to watch that show anymore! It's time they ended that cartoon! The show has been on for probably CLOSE to 20 years and Bart is still 8!!! Even the Flintstones had Bam Bam and Pebbles grow up!! :roll:  :lol:

RumNCoke

« Reply #26 on: Mar 24, 2005, 05:50 AM »
Quote from: Hamilton Steele
Mainframe from B.C did the newest Transformers saga "Beast Wars."

Don't forget "Reboot". Speaking of good Canadian movies, has anyone here watched Cube. It's a really cool sci-fi flick. Here's some info:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0123755/

Check it out some time.

RumNCoke

« Reply #27 on: Mar 24, 2005, 05:54 AM »
More Office related news:

Quote from: www.imdb.com
The men accused of stealing nearly $380,000 from award-winning British comic Ricky Gervais have been found guilty. The thieves stole the money to buy 60 pounds of gold from bullion dealer Anthony Baird, who called police after someone claiming to be Gervais placed a large order with his company. In a move to protect their true identities, the fraudsters altered a dead pensioner's passport with a picture of the actor's The Office character David Brent, copied from a DVD cover of the cult series. Of the five defendants - Kenneth Speight, Sharonjeet Snobber, Mushtaq Javed, Craig Reeves and Harry Peach - Speight and Reeves have been convicted of two counts of conspiracy to defraud between February 21 and April 8 2003. They're currently in jail waiting to be sentenced. Snobber and Peach were both cleared of any wrongdoing, but Javed faces a re-trial on two conspiracy counts.

shake

« Reply #28 on: Mar 24, 2005, 07:47 AM »

Not trying to Flame... but if there is one thing I have noticed and that is Canadiens have an blooming inferiorty complex about our televions shows and entertainment.  

That is very true HS, and it sickens me.  I’d like to see schools start teaching courses to educate kids on the great stuff the Canadian entertainment industry has produced.

Man I can compile an entire list of some really great stuff.  Hell compared to the rest of the world.... We produce alot and some of the most origional and best stuff out there.

I would have listed more shows (not some of the ones you mentioned) as well but as I stated I was limited by the fact that Ranger150 stated he only wanted shows that were available on Amazon, or online.  This eliminates many Canadian shows out because they went unnoticed.  I'm still trying to find anything from the shows Codco and Butch Patterson Private Dick, I can't even download the stuff.

shake

« Reply #29 on: Mar 24, 2005, 07:50 AM »
Quote from: RumNCoke

Speaking of good Canadian movies, has anyone here watched Cube. It's a really cool sci-fi flick. Here's some info:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0123755/

Check it out some time.

Yes I saw it, I really liked it.  I heard it was very popular in Europe.

Canuckguy

« Reply #30 on: Jul 09, 2005, 06:34 PM »
Strange Brew is the best Canadian Comedy film I would recommend.  Fubar isnt bad as well as Kids in the Hall's movie "Brain Candy" although the last 2 movies lose their luster quickly and I doubt I would watch them again for a long time.  As for tv shows Kids in the Hall is decent and I hear Corner Gas aint bad. SCTV is funny but so outdated its hard for me to watch anymore.  Red Green has its moments but the nephew is so annoying it ruins the show.

Mr. Stupidy Head

« Reply #31 on: Jul 09, 2005, 09:04 PM »
You won't find many fans 'round here, but I friggin' love Puppets Who Kill!

Grocery Bitch

• My blog
« Reply #32 on: Jul 09, 2005, 11:29 PM »
Anyone see the movie "Phil the Alien"? It won Toronto Film Fest a couple of years ago...it is HILARIOUS!! An alien that crash lands in a Northern Ontario town and becomes an alcoholic...too funny!!

I watched Robson Arms the other day and it was pretty good too...cameos from every Canadian comedian out there.

Arlene

« Reply #33 on: Jul 09, 2005, 11:42 PM »
Ya know there was this show on the CBC the other night, a mocumentry in PEI maybe? It was about a family who owns a funeral home...anyone know what I am talking about? I forgot the name AND when its on, so if anyone knows what I am on about that would be great. GREAT program, good laugh.

Also been watching the football show after TPB's on sundays, fucking good show.

A
"I hate Disneyland, it primes our kids for Las Vegas."

"Champagne for my real friends, real pain for my sham friends"

Shitty Bill

« Reply #34 on: Jul 09, 2005, 11:55 PM »
Don't believe the haters. Canadian Bacon was excellent and I'll aruge it with anyone any day. And to say that John Candy's best work was with SCTV???? The man is rolling over in his grave. Kids in the Hall was decent comedy, no doubt.  Made in Canada is also great, but its a little high brow, so it doesn't appeal to everyone.
"You are my fucking LIFE!"

Southern Belle

Canuckguy

« Reply #35 on: Jul 10, 2005, 12:21 AM »
Yah I enjoyed Canadian Bacon too it wasnt as good as strange brew but it was funny and worth watching once atleast.

shake

« Reply #36 on: Jul 10, 2005, 12:25 AM »
Quote from: Arlene
Ya know there was this show on the CBC the other night, a mocumentry in PEI maybe? It was about a family who owns a funeral home...anyone know what I am talking about? I forgot the name AND when its on, so if anyone knows what I am on about that would be great. GREAT program, good laugh.

Please read the earlier posts and let me know if what you are referring to is the show that was brought up earlier in this thread, the show from NEWFOUNDLAND, called "Hatching, Matching and Dispatching".  

Quote from: Canuckguy
SCTV is funny but so outdated its hard for me to watch anymore.

Valid point CG, the SCTV they show on Canada’s The Comedy Network is awful!  I don’t know why but every time I tune it I switch very quickly.   They seem to show the shitty years/skits over and over again.  As I mentioned before the DVDs are where it’s at!  I swear after watching the DVDs you will understand why they were considered the “Comedian’s comedians” by so many established comedian at the time, and I guarantee IT IS TIMELESS COMEDY.  I saw some things on the DVD I didn't ever remember seeing and holy fuck it was brilliant!  I think it beats watching Seinfeld repeats anyday.

Quote from: Shitty Bill
Don't believe the haters. Canadian Bacon was excellent and I'll aruge it with anyone any day. And to say that John Candy's best work was with SCTV???? The man is rolling over in his grave

Shitty Bill I  believe that if you were familiar with all of Candy’s VAST volume of brilliant work on SCTV, you would see why I said his best work, at least comedic work, was on that show. The characters he developed and the impressions he did were amazing, and I think that is true for the rest of the SCTV cast as well.  I will say in your defense, however, that he should have won an Oscar, or at least have been nominated, for "Planes, Trains and Automobiles".

Canuckguy

« Reply #37 on: Jul 10, 2005, 06:54 PM »
Kevin Spencer is pretty funny too its a show sorta like South Park but the animation is different.  Its about a chain smoking alcoholic sociopathic young teenage boy and his drunk useless parents.  Quite funny but I dont see it very often.

http://www.tv.com/kevin-spencer/show/10208/summary.html

Shitty Bill

« Reply #38 on: Jul 10, 2005, 08:50 PM »
Hit it on the head, I was reffering to Planes, Trains and Automobiles. And I completely understand your point. Lets call Planes, Trains his best single piece of work and SCTV his best body of work. Comparing a single film to a entire run of a television series is apples and oranges.
"You are my fucking LIFE!"

Southern Belle

shake

« Reply #39 on: Jul 11, 2005, 09:33 AM »
Quote from: Canuckguy
Kevin Spencer is pretty funny too its a show sorta like South Park but the animation is different.  Its about a chain smoking alcoholic sociopathic young teenage boy and his drunk useless parents.  Quite funny but I dont see it very often.

http://www.tv.com/kevin-spencer/show/10208/summary.html

That show is done by Greg Lawrence who did "Butch Patterson, Private Dick", an extremely funny show.  That show should have been a worldwide hit, but it hardly got noticed even here in Canada, like I said before I can’t even find episodes to download.  The show was shot in Ottawa and I still see some of the actors around town every once in a while.

http://www.angelfire.com/on2/bpatterson/

Quote from: Mr. Stupidy Head

Yeah I never watched a whole episode of that but I did notice Dan Redican is in it.  He was in the The Frantics, Four on the Floor, a comedy troupe that had their own show for a little while, I really liked their show when it was on.

http://www.deepshag.com/artists/frantics.html

Rick Green from the Frantics is now doing the show “History Bites”.

http://www.historybites.com/

Also you can often find Rick Green and Peter Wildman on the Red Green show.

Djet3k

• My Myspace
« Reply #40 on: Jul 11, 2005, 09:51 AM »
twitch city is also one of my favorite canadian series, i still miss two eps of it tough :( and sure hope they make a new season (whitch they probably wont since its already been too long :( )
"Fuck, fuck, fuck, / Mother, mother fuck, / Mother, mother fuck, fuck / Mother fuck, mother fuck, / Noich noich noich, / 1, 2, 1, 2, 3, 4, / Noich, noich noich / Smokin' weed, smokin' wizz, / Doin' coke, drinkin' beers, / Drinkin' beers, beers, beers, / Rollin' fattys, smokin' blunts, / Who smokes the blunts? / We smoke the blunts."

"Just remember when you control the mail you control....information!"

Melba the Disco Queen

« Reply #41 on: Jul 11, 2005, 10:06 AM »
Quote from: shake
Quote from: Mr. Stupidy Head

Yeah I never watched a whole episode of that but I did notice Dan Redican is in it.  He was in the The Frantics, Four on the Floor, a comedy troupe that had their own show for a little while, I really liked their show when it was on.

http://www.deepshag.com/artists/frantics.html

Rick Green from the Frantics is now doing the show “History Bites”.

http://www.historybites.com/

Also you can often find Rick Green and Peter Wildman on the Red Green show.

I only caught a few shows of Four on the Floor a few years back when they ran it on Comedy Network, I thought it was super funny. Also, when I was a younger, one of my friends had a cassette tape of their comedy (I'm fairly sure it was them although I never saw the cassette case or anything), a couple of songs still stick with me: 'Boot to the Head' & 'I Shot Bambi's Mother'. And one of the skits that confuses a piece of pie with a piece of poo. If anyone knows for sure if this was a tape of them or not let me know!
History Bites is also a good show. If I had learned history this way, I probably would have done better in that subject in school.
'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie, Black Adder

GTPB

« Reply #42 on: Jul 11, 2005, 10:07 AM »
Too bad this isn't on anymore, one of my all time favourites. They recently showed some repeats of the spin off Fernwood Tonight with Barth Gimble

http://www.classictvhits.com/shows/maryhartman/sounds/maryhartmanmaryhartman.wav
Slightly burnt but still smoking.

shake

« Reply #43 on: Jul 11, 2005, 04:46 PM »
Quote from: Djet3k
twitch city is also one of my favorite canadian series, i still miss two eps of it tough :( and sure hope they make a new season (whitch they probably wont since its already been too long :( )

I was a Twitch City fan as well, I don’t think we’ll be seeing anymore of that show either.  At least the main actors are busy doing other things now.  Showcase used to show it just before TPB on Thursday nights.  I’d posted a few times at the TPB message board there that people should watch it but I don’t know if I got any takers.

I also recommended another Showcase original at that site, Naked Josh.  It's not a comedy but it is interesting, I missed the first few eps of the new season.

Melba the Disco Queen

« Reply #44 on: Jul 28, 2005, 09:53 PM »
Has anyone been watching Robson Arms? I've only caught 2 episodes so far, but it seems ok (not really a comedy I think). In the one I'm watching tonight Hank from Corner Gas is on (one of my favourite characters on CG). The other one I've watched had Mark McKinney in it.
'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie, Black Adder

Melba the Disco Queen

« Reply #45 on: Aug 26, 2005, 12:19 PM »
For any fans of The Hilarious House of Frightenstein, check this out:

http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000AC7OV6/qid%3D1125076502/701-1732143-3136343

I didn't think it would ever be released on DVD!

bigbenjamin

« Reply #46 on: Aug 26, 2005, 12:43 PM »
Thanks so much Melba  :D ! Good price (List Price:    CDN$ 18.26
Our Price:    CDN$ 12.78
You Save:    CDN$ 5.48 (30%)

but we gotta wait until Sept. 27th . . that's only 3 or 4 days before my b.d.! Guess what I'm gettin :twisted: !

did i scare you? . . i'll get you next time cheers!

Djet3k

• My Myspace
Re: What else should i watch ?
« Reply #47 on: Nov 22, 2005, 08:31 AM »
Quote from: Djet3k

I was a Twitch City fan as well, I don’t think we’ll be seeing anymore of that show either.  At least the main actors are busy doing other things now.  Showcase used to show it just before TPB on Thursday nights.  I’d posted a few times at the TPB message board there that people should watch it but I don’t know if I got any takers.

I also recommended another Showcase original at that site, Naked Josh.  It's not a comedy but it is interesting, I missed the first few eps of the new season.

sry just read your reply

Im geussing it didnt get that many takers,   your the first canadian ive meth that actually knows the show :(
Its deffently something im going to buy if the dvd box ever comes out
"Fuck, fuck, fuck, / Mother, mother fuck, / Mother, mother fuck, fuck / Mother fuck, mother fuck, / Noich noich noich, / 1, 2, 1, 2, 3, 4, / Noich, noich noich / Smokin' weed, smokin' wizz, / Doin' coke, drinkin' beers, / Drinkin' beers, beers, beers, / Rollin' fattys, smokin' blunts, / Who smokes the blunts? / We smoke the blunts."

"Just remember when you control the mail you control....information!"

Reveen The Impossiblist

« Reply #48 on: Dec 01, 2005, 02:03 PM »
You should rent or buy the movie Fubar - classic Canadian movie!  Terry and Deaner rock!
Brandt: You never went to college...

The Dude: Oh, no I did, but I spent most of my time occupying various administration buildings... smoking a lot of thai stick... breaking into the ROTC... and bowling. To tell you the truth Brandt, I don't remember most of it.

shake

« Reply #49 on: Jan 05, 2006, 02:40 PM »
Hatching, Matching and Dispatching that was mentioned earlier in the thread is coming back on Friday.  More about it here

http://www.cbc.ca/comedyweek/

I watched that Rabbittown show, also set in NFLD, and really liked it.  Andy Jones from Codco is in it.  I loved his Ricardo Huerta character on Codco.