Share this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on MySpaceShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on TwitterShare this topic on Google buzz

Author Topic: What other Canadian shows should I watch ?  (Read 42635 times)

Optional

• Mogul Sports
Re: What other Canadian shows should I watch ?
« Reply #100 on: Apr 30, 2009, 11:01 AM »
Has anyone seen Wonderfalls?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0361256/

Not sure this is from Canada but it's filmed on the Canadian side of Niagara Falls and was recommended to me as a great comedy/dramedy series. I'm trying to download the pilot now, but it's coming very slowly.

I found this review of it; (in a list of the 'best canceled comedies')

Wonderfalls
March 2004 - April 2004
Arguably the most quirky of Bryan Fuller's shows (more so than Pushing Daisies and Dead Like Me), though a close battle to be sure. This one centered on Jaye, a college-educated slacker who is putting her Ivy-League philosophy degree to good use working at a Niagara Falls gift shop, when inanimate objects (a wax lion, mounted fish, brass monkey) start talking to her and giving her missions. On around the same time as Joan of Arcadia, it faced inevitable comparisons, but this off-the-wall series never really addressed if the beings giving Jaye missions were good or bad, mostly just that they were driving those around her (especially her family) to think she was a nut job ready to be committed. But, you know, in a loving sort of way. Like Fuller's other fare, this one never grabbed a big audience and was axed by Fox after only a handful of episodes.

It was canceled after 14 episodes.

Would be good to hear a second opinion from someone who has watched it if it's worth the days and days of downloading it looks like it will take to get it all.  8)

shake

« Reply #101 on: Jun 24, 2009, 02:41 PM »
I'm probably the only one on this site that has seen this show but my favorite show, non-comedy is now Traders.  It is set on Bay Street, the financial disrtrict in Toronto.  They only have season one out on DVD and I went through it really quickly, I'm hoping to order more.  They do show repeats of it on MovieTime 7pm every week.  They are showing a later season now so I haven't seen all the episodes.  It kills me that I have to wait a week between shows. 

Harold on the Red Green show is on it, he plays a seriously hard-assed boss trader an extremely different role than the goofy Harold, which shows you just how talented he must be.  You might recognize some other Canadian actors as well.

Vancouver

« Reply #102 on: Jun 24, 2009, 08:35 PM »
Ive never heard of Traders but I friggin LOVED Wonderfalls!!!  shitty it got cancelled. well worth the dl.
TPB Fantasy Hockey League CHAMPION!!

JAG

« Reply #103 on: Jul 16, 2009, 10:26 AM »
This may be a bit off topic, but I went to an all girls catholic high school for 2 years and during study hall a group of friends and I would go to the "media centre" during that period. 5 of us would gather around this TINY tv screen...it couldn't have been more then 6x6. We'd all plug in these GIANT headphones and watch episodes of the original Degrassi Junior High! LOL! I think those old nuns had NO idea what the hell the show was about otherwise it would have been removed from the video library IMMEDIATELY! It was better then any American soap opera on television at the time! We were so hooked! (we were 13-14 years old) Degrassi Jr. High was shown on our Public Television Station which has much more liberal standards then regular broadcast tv here. After we watched all the episodes and the show was taken off here; I sorta forgot about it. Then we started watching TPB when Directv started carrying them this year...

I almost PISSED myself when I realized WHY J-Roc looked so familiar...

He was SHANE on Degrassi Jr. High?!?!?!?!  :shock: Shane, who knocked up Spike in grade 8! Shane who took a hit of acid and somehow fell/got pushed/jumped off a bridge and ended up with brain damage?! OMG...it was such a revelation to me. LOL!

~Sarah~
*100% Certified Honouary Canuck*

Port Cockerton:

"Maybe if you hadn't spent the whole night sinking space sluts you wouldn't have let down the entire universe yet again!"
"Copy that."
"Solution, Captain Powerful?!"
"MORE powder of confidence..."

JAG

« Reply #104 on: Jul 16, 2009, 10:30 AM »
Oh, I have a recommendation too.

Total Drama Island/Action.  :D My boys started watching the cartoon on Cartoon Network last year. I am one of those people that don't like "Survivor", "Big Brother" and all those other shows, so I was sure a cartoon spoofing those shows would bore me tears...

NOPE. I love it. I am as into it as they are! Freakin' funny stuff. True it is aimed towards 'tweens but who doesn't like a good cartoon now and then?

My 3 year old is the world's biggest "Max and Ruby" fan. If you have a little one, especially if they have older bossy siblings, this is a great show. I know no one was specifically looking for children's shows, but plenty of TPB fans have kids, so I thought I'd throw those out there too.
~Sarah~

Port Cockerton:

"Maybe if you hadn't spent the whole night sinking space sluts you wouldn't have let down the entire universe yet again!"
"Copy that."

Fishyneil

• Doritos commercial
« Reply #105 on: Jul 16, 2009, 10:48 AM »
I almost PISSED myself when I realized WHY J-Roc looked so familiar...

He was SHANE on Degrassi Jr. High?!?!?!?!  :shock: Shane, who knocked up Spike in grade 8! Shane who took a hit of acid and somehow fell/got pushed/jumped off a bridge and ended up with brain damage?! OMG...it was such a revelation to me. LOL!

I'm not a big Degrassi fan but I didn't think Torrens played the original Shane but did play him in Degrassi TNG. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Fishy
"So why would you care
To get out of this place
You and me and all our friends
Such a happy human race"

TPB FAQ's... http://www.trailerparkboys.org/forums/index.php?topic=6806.0

shake

« Reply #106 on: Jul 16, 2009, 10:51 AM »
That is correct Fishy, Torrens was not the original Shane, but played him on an episode of TNG.  His daughter, Amanda?, was curious about him so she visited him in the hospital where he stays.

Fishyneil

• Doritos commercial
« Reply #107 on: Jul 16, 2009, 11:03 AM »
Thanks Shake :)
Fishy
"So why would you care
To get out of this place
Such a happy human race"

Tiggy Puddin

« Reply #108 on: Jul 16, 2009, 11:11 AM »
That is correct Fishy, Torrens was not the original Shane, but played him on an episode of TNG.  His daughter, Amanda?, was curious about him so she visited him in the hospital where he stays.

I had no idea Torrens was in TNG!

I was in walking distance of the "real" De Grassi Street when I lived in TO.

JAG

« Reply #109 on: Jul 16, 2009, 01:24 PM »
You are correct, he wasn't the original Shane, I should have been more clear. We started watching the show at school...the original Degrassi Jr. High. That's how I got introduced to the show. I've seen several of the spin-offs or franchises (whatever they are called) here and there on "The N" channel on Directv. That is where I caught Torrens playing Shane. My bad. I went back and looked at some of the old episodes on YouTube and realized that you are indeed correct, that he was not the original Shane. I guess when I recognized him on Degrassi TNG, I just assumed it was him all along. I'm 34 now...its been 21 years since we watched Degrassi in study hall! It is hard to remember a face from that long ago (on that tiny of a screen too! ;) ) LOL!...21 YEARS?! Really...OMG I feel old now!  :o :shock:
~Sarah~

Port Cockerton:

"Copy that."

Fishyneil

• Doritos commercial
« Reply #110 on: Jul 16, 2009, 01:53 PM »
Torrens did play that character well and the casting agency did a good job. The original Shane would have easily grown up and resembled JT's character. I thought it worked on many levels.
Fishy
"So why would you care
To get out of this place
Such a happy human race"

Melba the Disco Queen

« Reply #111 on: Jul 16, 2009, 10:54 PM »

Emma is the daughter's name. I'm a fan of the original Degrassi series (Jr High & High). Any fan of the show has to watch the final movie 'School's Out,' it really wraps up the series.
'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie, Black Adder

Ms Vee

« Reply #112 on: Jun 05, 2011, 11:53 PM »
One of my favorite shows is scheduled for cancellation. "Endgame" on Showcase. Aside from TPB, Haven and The Drunk and on Drugs Happy Funtime Hour, this is one of the best shows on Showcase. It is filmed in Vancouver, and Vancouver actually plays Vancouver! Usually it is set in an American city.
There is a page for Endgame and Save Endgame on facebook.  There is a petition to save the show. The link is below. I am asking all my Org friends to please take a minute and sign the petition.
http://www.petitiononline.com/endgame1/

Thank you!  :)

Tiggy Puddin

« Reply #113 on: Jun 06, 2011, 09:04 AM »
It's a shame Endgame is being cancelled, they didn't really give it a chance. There's an interesting article here about what to do when your fave show gets dumped: http://www.boingboing.net/2010/05/06/how-to-really-save-y.html

The trick is to get people to watch it now! It's all about the ratings.

Ms Vee

« Reply #114 on: Jun 06, 2011, 09:34 AM »
Thanks for the link Tiggy. I will pass it it on. It is worth a shot.

RetroFilmsEnt

• Retro Films Entertainment
« Reply #115 on: Jan 31, 2012, 02:22 PM »
Check out "The Notorious Newman Brothers"! One reviewer called it a cross between "Trailer Park Boys" and "Goodfellas". You'll enjoy it if you're into crude politically incorrect humour.

Download it for free at VODO: http://vodo.net/n3ES

Thanks for supporting Canadian comedy!

Official Trailer - The Notorious Newman Brothers
« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2012, 05:38 PM by RetroFilmsEnt »

Optional

• Mogul Sports
« Reply #116 on: Jan 31, 2012, 02:30 PM »
Looks funny and right on the mark for TPB fans  :perv1:

The Org needs to re-invent itself as the Canadian Comedy Forum. There used to be so much enthusiasm and fun/creative people around here before the show ended. Such a shame to let all the goodwill this forum has across the world be lost.

RetroFilmsEnt

• Retro Films Entertainment
« Reply #117 on: Apr 20, 2012, 09:48 AM »
We have a new comedy webseries in the works called "Manuel Labour - Trash Collecting Junk", but it needs backers like you to help get it off the ground. Check out the pitch video and if you dig it, please donate and share. Help keep great Canadian comedy alive!

Donate at Kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/retrofilmsent/manuel-labour-trash-collecting-junk

Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/ManuelLabourWebseries

http://youtu.be/8gLQ5wF2ixY

Stakegirl

« Reply #118 on: Apr 22, 2012, 10:50 PM »
Oh my goodness. I scrolled through this topic pretty quickly but I didn't see one mention of the Littlest Hobo. For those who are followers of mine on Twitter, you know I often post on ridiculous and hilarious situations that take place on that show. I don't think it was meant as a comedy by any means.  But the cheesy qualities will make you laugh your rear off.  One example of this is when Hobo jumped on the wing of a biplane opens the door and pulls out a first aid kit filled of dynamite. Then he books it across the field to dispose of the explosives. Just saying, it's pretty funny. 

But if that's not your bag, perhaps you would enjoy Comedy Inc. It was a The Comedy Network show. They do have swearing which is refreshing for a cable TV show. Comedy Inc was put on by the CTV I believe. You can find some clips on YouTube. 

One theme I have seen in this discussion that I fully agree with is The Kids in the Hall. For a sample search YouTube for "Cabbage for a Head" which is one of my favourite recurring characters.

Corner Gas is quite dry, it grew on me.  If you can manage to dig the vibe eventually you could really start to enjoy it.

Good luck on your search which ever direction you decide to travel in.
A Dope Trailer is No Place for a Kitty

fletcherrhoden

• Fletcher Rhoden
« Reply #119 on: Aug 19, 2012, 03:39 AM »
This last post made the most sense to me -- there's a ton of great Canadian comedy.  Do you prefer English Canadian or French?  I've got a whole essay in my book FIFTY SHADES OF TRAILER PARK BOYS about the tradition of Canadian comedy -- I personally think SCTV and TPB, but there is a TON of stuff out there!

Fishyneil

• Doritos commercial
« Reply #120 on: Aug 19, 2012, 07:45 AM »
I like to watch re runs of Hillarious House of Frightenstein.
Fishy
"So why would you care
To get out of this place
Such a happy human race"

Fishyneil

• Doritos commercial
« Reply #121 on: Aug 19, 2012, 07:51 AM »
Opening sequence...

Hilarious House of Frightenstein Opening

Fishy
"So why would you care
To get out of this place
Such a happy human race"

Tiggy Puddin

« Reply #122 on: Aug 19, 2012, 08:50 AM »
I miss Picnicface.  :(

shake

« Reply #123 on: Mar 29, 2013, 03:56 PM »
Article about how Canadian TV shows are becoming more popular worldwide

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/story/2013/03/27/cracked-sale-france.html

Mitch Lahey

• NASA Marshall Space Flight Center
« Reply #124 on: Mar 29, 2013, 04:38 PM »
-Mitch Dolphin (I work for Cyrus now)

"Hey everybody, there's a shitcloud comin'! Run for your lives!" -Randy Quaid in Kingpin